PDA

View Full Version : Going to Easter Rd with your Dad

Babyshamble
10-08-2017, 08:53 PM
Ayr game was the first time in about 30 years when it was just me & my dad.we are both ST holders ,but go with our own mates.I'm 44,but on Tuesday I felt like a kid again.looking up to my hero.the man who introduced me to Hibs.I know know how my son feels.Thanks dad GGTTH

matty_f
10-08-2017, 09:00 PM
I still go with my dad. And now my son comes with us as well.

I only went to a few games with my dad when I was younger, out was usually my Auntie that took me and I'd use my uncle's season ticket, or my cousins would take me.

I'm_cabbaged
10-08-2017, 09:15 PM
Can't remember what my first game was tbh, but my earliest memories were about SPS' testimonial. He took me here there every ****ing where 😀 Then continued with my boys when I was working weekends, thankfully I managed to change jobs and enjoyed life with Hibs with 3 generations!! Hopefully I continue his legacy!!

BlackSheep
10-08-2017, 09:19 PM
Tuesday was also my first game with my dad in probably 20 years.... he is a jambo but not a diehard eejit like most so open to watching a good game of football when invited. I told him there's still plenty time to change his colours... he was having none of it!

CRAZYHIBBY
10-08-2017, 09:41 PM
My dad preferred drink

c31
10-08-2017, 09:41 PM
My dad took me to Hibs games when I was wee. Must have been loads but the games v Naples and Joe bakers return v Aberdeen plus a birthday treat to ibrox 3v1 with Marinello scoring twice stick vividly forever in my mind.

Pedantic_Hibee
10-08-2017, 09:42 PM
My dad preferred drink

My dad needs a drink before he watches Hibs 😂😂

Thecat23
10-08-2017, 09:46 PM
Ayr game was the first time in about 30 years when it was just me & my dad.we are both ST holders ,but go with our own mates.I'm 44,but on Tuesday I felt like a kid again.looking up to my hero.the man who introduced me to Hibs.I know know how my son feels.Thanks dad GGTTH

Love reading these things.

My first game Feb 1988 against Dumbarton. We won 3-0 and my dad used to take me all the time. Now we both have season tickets as well. He never went for a couple of years as his health wasn't to good but having him sit with me each week still makes me feel like a little kid at times.

calumhibee1
10-08-2017, 09:53 PM
Been going with my dad and my brothers all my life and still do now. Don't think that will change until the inevitable happens.

Spike Mandela
10-08-2017, 09:55 PM
My dad was a Jambo.:cb

It was my maternal granda that took me to the games. He was born in the Cowgate near where Hibs were formed and he ran supporters buses in the 50's. Loved his encyclopedic knowledge of Hibs, and i fell in love with Easter Road at my first game in the mid 1970's Hibs v Celtic.

He used to go in the pub get me a packet of crisps I used to go and play with all the other 'abandoned' kids at the playpsrk near the Iona. Changed days lol.

My dad took me to the 1979 Scottish cup final though.

Dalianwanda
10-08-2017, 10:12 PM
My dad took me to home games from about the age of 4 or 5 (I'm now 47). He stopped going for a while where golf took over. Since he retired he's been back in the east with a season ticket and loving it. Goes on his own but seems to have a sound bunch around him, which is great. I love the days where we can make games together. That's probably only going to be hampden games with the great crowds these days.

greenlex
10-08-2017, 10:14 PM
My Dads only interest in football was 8 score draws on a sat. My first trip to ER was with my mates dad who was a groundsman there. David Henderson I owe you a lot. My two boys only gave a passing interest in Fitba as both are avid golfers. My daughter is an ever present with me in the west lower. She missed her first game in about 13 years when she missed lewis' testimonial due to Holidays. To say she was gutted is not doing it justice. I kid you not she was gonna fly back for it till she eventually saw sense.

eastcoasthibby
10-08-2017, 10:22 PM
My dad wasnt interested in football ....my grandad took me and.my brother ...we were inducted to Hibs with the ...heriot, brownlie, schaedler, stanton, black, blackley, edwards, o'rourke, gordon, cropley , duncan , ..era ...and it was fantastic .....forever gateful and thankful to him and remember enjoying many big games from midway up in the east terracing ..😁

hibby6270
10-08-2017, 10:26 PM
My Dad took me to my first game in October 1962. 2-2 draw with Dundee. I didn't realise until recently, he probably took me to that game because the great Gordon Smith was playing - for Dundee of course by then. Dad might have mentioned it but I was only 4 at the time and too young for it to mean anything. GS was my Dad's hero and this was likely to be the last time he would see him "run down the slope".

Went to many 'big games' with him after that. Naples, Hamburg, Sporting Lisbon, Liverpool, Leeds, Hadjuk Split in European competition and countless semis and finals at Hampden.

Over the years we were both ST holders. My sons were as well until they grew up and found girls, then decided to go abroad after getting married. They still follow from afar.

Biggest favour my Dad did for me regarding a game was to sneak me in to Tynie on 1/1/73. He was on plain clothes duty that day and took me along with him. In through the polis gate and I watched in awe at the School End the biggest and best demolition derby of them all.

Dad's final game was the 2007 League Cup Final. Strangely in all his years of going to finals, he had never seen Hibs win a major final (he was working in 1972 and 1991 couldn't get off). So it was fitting he did finally see us win one. Sadly, he wasn't around for 21/5/16 but I'm sure he was looking down and waving his Hibs tartan scarf with pride.

GGTTH Dad.

Tambo
10-08-2017, 10:33 PM
Does anyone remember early 90's when they would let you in for free for last ten minutes or so?

hibby6270
10-08-2017, 10:44 PM
Does anyone remember early 90's when they would let you in for free for last ten minutes or so?

They used to open the big gates just after the second half started back in the late 60s / early 70s iirc.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
10-08-2017, 10:46 PM
My dad was a Jambo.:cb

It was my maternal granda that took me to the games. He was born in the Cowgate near where Hibs were formed and he ran supporters buses in the 50's. Loved his encyclopedic knowledge of Hibs, and i fell in love with Easter Road at my first game in the mid 1970's Hibs v Celtic.

He used to go in the pub get me a packet of crisps I used to go and play with all the other 'abandoned' kids at the playpsrk near the Iona. Changed days lol.

My dad took me to the 1979 Scottish cup final though.

My family were coogate boys as well in that era - probably went on your bus!

Ringothedog
10-08-2017, 10:48 PM
My dad took me to loads of games, Leeds, Liverpool Hamburg, malmo amongst lots of others, I still remember my first away game which was a 1-4 defeat to Stirling Albiion. I would like to thank him for bringing me up to support th best football team in the world. Thanks dad and RIP

Greencore
10-08-2017, 10:59 PM
My dads a sevco fan.

edinburghhibee
10-08-2017, 11:05 PM
I've always gone with my old man, my cousin and my uncle it was always the 4 of us until I started playing Saturdays myself. They three still have the season tickets and attend together and I tag along as often as I can these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stantons Angel
10-08-2017, 11:07 PM
I love reading stories like these giving the love for Hibs passed from father to son etc.

Many people ask me how i got my passion for all things Hibs and did i get it from my dad etc....

My dad had no interest in football at all, my two uncles lived a stones throw away from Easter Road and supported them for many years too.

Although i was born in Leith, i moved to the dark side of the city when i was young, so being a Hibby was always queried too.

I used to go to watch games with my friends who have all fallen by the wayside but i was still attending with my son up to a few years ago.

He used to go to all the games with his dad and i and loved his Saturday afternoons watching the Hibs.

So you could say he got his love for Hibs from his dad and his mum. He lives down south now and gets up for as many games as he can.

You will all understand that the feeling and passion for this club stays with you no matter where you are in life.

Once a Hibby always a Hibby!

West lower
10-08-2017, 11:19 PM
my fondest memory of going to the games with my dad was the night we beat Liverpool and Harper scored. My dad was in the merchant navy, and had been away for almost a year. I was 7 years old and got home from school to find him waiting for me. That was good enough, but imagine how I felt when he said "get your scarf son, there's a game to get to tonight". My first ever European match. Now go to all of the games with my son, and I hope he gets the same feeling as I got that night. Forever Hibs.

JimmyL
10-08-2017, 11:26 PM
Some great stories here went with my pals when younger then stopped due to weekend working that changed to week days same time Dad retired so season tickets purchased by us both great times until Dad passed last December so everyone saviour these times

hibee_girl
10-08-2017, 11:31 PM
My auntie took to me to my first game and I had season tickets with her for a long time, my grandad used to come along occasionally but he actually used to take me to more away games than home ones.

Now nearly 20 years on I still go with my Grandad, he has a season ticket now. It's my favourite part of the week 💚

Hermit Crab
10-08-2017, 11:33 PM
My dad used to take me to some games when I was younger but would never take me away from home, I was always desperate to go away but my dad can't drive and after he got made redundant in 92 money was tight for us so games were very limited until I got my first season ticket back in 95 and have been there ever since. Dad has been has had a season ticket on and off but has had one for the last 4 seasons now. He doesn't enjoy it as much as he used to as he is from the generation of Turnbulls tornadoes. For him no player comes close to Alex Cropley.

I was very lucky that I grew up in a house where my Mother, Father and Sister all loved football so there was never any question of what was going to be on the telly when a match was on and a Saturday meant Easter Road for us.

Scott Allan Key
10-08-2017, 11:40 PM
My first game was with my dad who took me to watch comical defending in the Scottish Cup 1983 as Aberdeen humped us 4-1 at ER. I sat in the old main stand, catching the football buzz celebrating Gordon Rae's superb free kick consolation.

He took us to the League Cup win v Dunfermline on the Hampden terraces, that in some ways was just a prologue given our near demise (I was too young to realise the year before) for the historic Scottish Cup Final game in 2016. I was by then a seasoned regular but my father was taken to gardening, my brother and I always keener. Nevertheless, at the final whistle, as celebrations went on for ages and we all sang our hearts out, along with his two grandsons (my two eldest), i have a wee video of us all in the centre of a sea of green and white, my dad has a smile like a little kid and catches my eye as I filmed him, raising his eyebrows as if to say, 'there you go, son, I did well by you.'

Baw187
10-08-2017, 11:41 PM
My old man took me to games when I was a nippper (from around 5), but he worked most Saturdays so when I started going regularly and got my first season ticket at 14, I went with my mate and we sat near some of my dad's mates in the east who kept an eye on us!

Then when my dad changed jobs we got season tickets in the West the season it was built, I was around 21 then, and we've sat in the same seats ever since.

Now my eldest daughter comes along now and then but we couldn't get her a ST next to us so might have to move next year.

tam4hibs
10-08-2017, 11:47 PM
I miss dad to do this with.

OK a grown adult but with no kids of my own (yet) I miss this truly special bond. Here's to all the father's and sons and those that don't have that luxury.

My friends are my brothers and going with them is as good as it gets for me...

SirDavidsNapper
10-08-2017, 11:49 PM
First time my dad took me to Easter Road was for the Hands Off Hibs rally in 1990. No match that day but I was hooked. Fond memories of those days with my old man.

bill_reed
10-08-2017, 11:52 PM
my dad took me to the football each week back in the early 60s. he was a hearts supporter and would go to see hibs one week and hearts the next, lots did that back in the 50s and 60s... I liked the type of football hibs played and one of my first games was seeing hibs beat Real Madrid... the 17 year old Peter Cormack scoring... still remember that night... my dad was a hearts supporter all his day as I am a hibs supporter... always remember him getting so excited then Arthur Duncan scored two goals against celtic.so grateful he took me to games when I was a young 14 year old boy.

snooky
10-08-2017, 11:53 PM
My paternal Grandmother was a hibby & so was my dad. My Grandad was a policeman and ER was his beat but TBH, I can't remember him ever talking about football. As I've said on other threads, I was initiated to ER at the age of approx 5 years old by my auld man. Probably watching the FF but didn't realise it at the time. How sad is that?

greenbelly
11-08-2017, 12:02 AM
Ma dad grew up in glasgae and his cousins took him along to watch the huns a few times. But he still turned out all right.
Moved East to start his family and took me along to a St Mirren game on the old terrace.
Was hooked. Thank him so much for not makin me follow der hun like half the other tools at school.
He survived to see us win the cup.
Trips home aren't so common but taken ma boy along to a couple games so far, crappy early season loss away to Killy a few years back, and that 4-0 home win over sevco.
He stayed up for the vigil with me to watch us lift the cup last year too.
Lucky wee bugger, I had to wait over 40 yrs to see us do it. Hopefully both get to see us take a few more cups before ma time's up.

The_Sauz
11-08-2017, 12:16 AM
Been going to the Hibs game's with my Dad & Uncle for over 30 years now! I use to go by myself or with some of my mate's when I was younger! The old man was still involved with the Ice Hockey back in the 70's, so he was a way most weekends!
This season is a bit strange! In the first time in many years, I can't wait to go to Easter Road and watch Hibs, not that I never stopped loving the Hibs, but I think were about to watch something special happening. :agree:

hibbiedon
11-08-2017, 05:48 AM
My Dad took me in 1962 for our first game. I was hooked for life, both my daughters love Hibs and now my grandchildren have caught the bug. I wonder if my Dad looks down and feels proud of what he started So thanks Dad R.I.P.

BSEJVT
11-08-2017, 06:57 AM
Like many other posters on this thread, my dad took my brother and I and we went with his pals and their kids, started going back in the late 60's

I started taking my children when they were pre-school and I have no doubt that that shared interest has enriched our relationship.

My son and daughter are grown up now.

My son goes with his pals now, but my daughter and I still go together and its one of my favourite parts of the week.

In another age, and after he stopped being well enough to go, I used to phone my dad after every game and we would discuss the game and he would quiz me over it.

My dad has been dead for over 13 years now and I still miss those calls.

Thankfully I get to relive some of them by doing the same with my children,

GGTTH

HibbyDave
11-08-2017, 06:59 AM
When I was five my daddy took me down to Easter Road....

Roxyhibee
11-08-2017, 07:57 AM
'When I was 4, my daddy took me down to Easter Road...' he was a Dumbiedykes boy and was Hibs daft.

1963 - first game he took me to - a night game against St Mirren when Willie Wilson got a kick in the head first half, no subs allowed in those days, so Peter Cormack went in goals. Wilson was allowed on again on the left wing though and played the rest of the game with a big white bandage on his heid. Remember it vividly with all my uncles also there, laughing.

1 nil Hibs - well done Willie W and I was utterly hooked before I even started school.!

Me and my dad went to most of the games together and he was my best mate. We saw some great games and hugged a thousand times and more at all the Hibs goals over the decades.

He's long gone now but I have a large East Terracing plaque with our names on it. I obviously still think about him regularly even 27 years since his death - but every time I walk into Easter Road, the feeling is very strong and I have to say, quite beautiful. Sometimes overwhelming.

Thanks for giving me The Hibees dad. What a gift.!

GGTTH

Keith_M
11-08-2017, 08:00 AM
My dad preferred drink

Sadly all too common.

Jay
11-08-2017, 08:02 AM
My dad took my brother to the football but I used to love their stories and managed to persuade him to take me a couple of times when i was wee. I think i was more a hinderence to his drinking day than anything at the time.
My 2nd son is football daft and the bond between him and my dad was as strong as it could be. When he was 6 my dad bought us season tickets and the story started then. As the years passed dad fought leukeamia but during his last year or so he wasnt strong enough to get to ER anymore so if a game waa on the tv we would all sit together at his house and have a pie and bovril at half time :)
When my boy was 15 his grandad passed away. My son liased with the club and not long after he took the day off school, put his grandads ashes in his backpack and got the bus to ER where he scattered dads ashes down near the FF end.
Earlier this year my boy got a tattoo of the Hibs badge with the words Forever Green Together , the date of the cup final and his grandads initials on it.
Itll be 5 years to the day since my dad passed at the next home game and us being at Easter Road is a perfect tribute to him.

IFONLY
11-08-2017, 08:25 AM
My dad took my brother to the football but I used to love their stories and managed to persuade him to take me a couple of times when i was wee. I think i was more a hinderence to his drinking day than anything at the time.
My 2nd son is football daft and the bond between him and my dad was as strong as it could be. When he was 6 my dad bought us season tickets and the story started then. As the years passed dad fought leukeamia but during his last year or so he wasnt strong enough to get to ER anymore so if a game waa on the tv we would all sit together at his house and have a pie and bovril at half time :)
When my boy was 15 his grandad passed away. My son liased with the club and not long after he took the day off school, put his grandads ashes in his backpack and got the bus to ER where he scattered dads ashes down near the FF end.
Earlier this year my boy got a tattoo of the Hibs badge with the words Forever Green Together , the date of the cup final and his grandads initials on it.
Itll be 5 years to the day since my dad passed at the next home game and us being at Easter Road is a perfect tribute to him.

Lovely story....thanks for sharing it.

Pedantic_Hibee
11-08-2017, 08:50 AM
Been to many a game with my dad over the years, memorable ones including the Skol Cup Final and the game against AEK Athens.

If I recall correctly he took me to my first game around 1986 when I was 4 year old.

He didn't go to the coronation of Sir David Gray as he avoids games against Hearts, Celtic and The Rangers (his blood pressure is high enough) but as much as the day is hazy, I can still vividly remember texting him first, straight after the final whistle with many tears in my eyes thanking him for making me a Hibee.

I've held it against him for years but that one day in May made every single minute worth it.

mim
11-08-2017, 09:09 AM
My first game was at the age of 4 with my dad, who had a season ticket in the old North Stand (the north part of the West stand now).
On the park were the Famous Five and others AND WE WON THE LEAGUE :greengrin

Tobias Funke
11-08-2017, 09:13 AM
First game for me with my dad was at Easter Road against Motherwell, start of season 88/89. Not sure if Steve Archibald played, have a feeling he didn't sign in time.

Late Tommy McIntyre winner, ended 1-0.

CL0762
11-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Mines was always my Grandad, 20 years we went together.

After his passing in July the Partick game was the first time I'd ever been to a hibs game at easter road without him.

Bishop Hibee
11-08-2017, 09:29 AM
Got taken to ER in the 70's by my dad on and off until I was old enough to go with pals. He was one of 12 and every one a Hibs fan so it was never just me and him but a big social event. Some great times. One particular memory is fighting my way through to his spot on the terracing where I knew he'd be when we paraded the League Cup post-match ER in 1991. He was cock-a-hoop! What a night. A regret he never got to see us winning the Scottish Cup but he'd have loved the fact his boys and grandchildren did.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-08-2017, 09:30 AM
My old man took me when I first started going. On Tuesday myself, my dad and my wee nephew went along which was a first, it was magic seeing the joy on the wee mans face as each goal went in. He seemed to enjoy the 4IH pre-match too.

CallumLaidlaw
11-08-2017, 09:32 AM
My dad took me to games from a young age but my first real memory is the Hands off Hibs rally. I would've been 9. My next memory was watching the Skol cup semi final on TV in Crewe as we had moved down to England 6 months before.

We used to travel to games regularly from there. Train at 9am, getting into Waverley around half 12, down to the Hibs club, and then leaving the game 5 minutes early to get the 5.15 train back to Crewe. We'd be home by around 9.30. Was great fun meeting lots of other football fans doing their commute to see their club. I remember speaking to a Man U fan who decided to pick a Scottish team to follow. He stuck a pin in a map and came out with something like Partick so he would travel to any partick games when Man U were away from home.

We moved back to Scotland in 2004 and bought season tickets straight away, just in time for Tony Mowbrays first season. We've sat together ever since and now have my son alongside us. Being at the cup final with both of them was so special.

J-C
11-08-2017, 09:35 AM
My dad was born in Glasgow and was a Rangers fan, he bought me a season ticket in the West stand near the directors are so he knew I'd be safe enough with the crowds, when I got old enough I moved to the East with my mates.

banarc7062
11-08-2017, 09:51 AM

I know the feeling but other way round. My son is a policeman and because of work not always free to attend games but on Saturday we both got to the Partick game. Great hearing him belt out the songs again, brought back very good memories. GGTTH

heretoday
11-08-2017, 10:02 AM
We used to go to Easter Road one week and Tynecastle the next in the early 60s. Loads of fathers and kids did that and you'd see the same faces every week!
Midweek we'd try and take in a game elsewhere like Fife or Falkirk or whatever as we had access to a car. I can remember seeing the Bairns beat Celtic 6-1 on a soaking night at Brockville. Within two years Celtic were European champions.

I don't know why I plumped for Hibs in the end. Certainly the pies weren't as good as at other grounds!

iwasthere1972
11-08-2017, 10:19 AM
Dad had no interest in football. Horse racing and wrestling were his sport enjoyments. I was ten when I first went to Easter Road to see the Hibs. Bob Shankly was the manager. His brother was also into football management with some team in England.

IWasThere2016
11-08-2017, 10:25 AM
My dads a sevco fan.

My Dad's a Hun. But he encouraged me to support Hibs - bought me a strip and took me regularly.

Mostly away - as he traveled to Tranent (worked for Tom Hart) from Glenrothes every day - and so trips to ER were too much at the weekend also.

He took me to my first game at Muirton in November 1974 - I have the programme - we won 2-0 with headers from Stanton and O'Rourke.

He last joined me at Cowden 2-3 Hibs in the SC under Fenlon .. without doubt the coldest game I have ever been too! He wanted Hibs to win on 21 May :flag:

fat freddy
11-08-2017, 10:29 AM
When I was young my Daddy took me down to Easter Road and lifted me high upon his shoulders... actually, thats a lie, he bought me a season ticket for the centre stand as he was worried that I'd get hurt on the terracing as there was mass brawls at most big games in the seventies. After the matches he'd go into the Fifty Club under the stand and me and my brother would stand in that wee bit outside the players entrance collecting autographs from The Tornadoes, intoxicating days.

Aubenas
11-08-2017, 10:30 AM
Jan 2 1956 Hibs 2-2 Hearts in front of 65K. In the old main stand with my dad and his brother. I was only 3 so remember nothing if the game,but the vivid green of the pitch, the dark of the stand and the huge crowds remain with me.
My first game with my dad, and as it turns out, my only one. He died a year later, and my uncle, who had played for Hibs in the 1929s, died the year after that.
A precious memory, of course. Our family's supported Hibs since my grandad arrived from Ireland via Brooklyn in 1894. That game was my dad passing on the flame. I think he only took me cos it was New Year and my uncle was staying with us. Really I was far too young to go. But because I was there I can say I've been to a game with my dad and uncle, I can say I've seen 4 of the Famous Five play.
My son's first game was when he was 6 - and we've been going together for 23 years. Not a game I go to that I don't think of my dad and uncle nor count my blessings that my son and I have had so much time and so many games.
And May 21st 2016.

jdships
11-08-2017, 10:30 AM
]Love reading these things. [/B]

My first game Feb 1988 against Dumbarton. We won 3-0 and my dad used to take me all the time. Now we both have season tickets as well. He never went for a couple of years as his health wasn't to good but having him sit with me each week still makes me feel like a little kid at times.

Me to , nostaldia " canny whack it " !
My dad was in MN and a POW from 1940 to 1945and I was 14 before I wnt with him to ER
Howver my uncle took me to my first game in December 1939.

As the song says [I]" Memories are made of this "[/I
At 85 am looking to get to one more cup final:not worth

overdrive
11-08-2017, 10:49 AM
I still go with my dad

CropleyWasGod
11-08-2017, 10:53 AM
Still go with my 86 year old Dad, now and again.

My son and I play "Granda-bingo" with him. His favourite sayings are...

"Don't pass the ball across your 18-yard box"

"Cormack/Duncan/Brazil/Cummings...you couldny kick me."

(my favourite)...."Jesus-suffering-catfish"

I also claim that it was him that lifted the SC jinx. His stone on the East (which was there before that game) says "still waiting". :greengrin

GreenNWhiteArmy
11-08-2017, 11:10 AM
Great thread

My dad took me to my first game in 1993 and for about 10years we had a season ticket in the FF until we started playing footballourselves Saturday mornings/afternoons. As I got older I began to go with matesbut over the last 3 years we manage to get to any midweek or Sunday gamestogether (he’s an Edinburgh cab driver so weekends are a no go for him)
I’ve got a wee one due in Dec and in around 10 years timehe/she will be singing about “When I was 5 my daddy took me down to Easter Road….”Amazing words in a fantastic and under rated hibs song imo!

DarlingtonHibee
11-08-2017, 11:20 AM
Never got there with my dad, but nothing gives me greater pleasure than taking my son, up next for the Motherwell game.

bubblesmorrison
11-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Always went to the football with my dad from a very young age. Moved to America 5 years ago and it one of the things I miss most but was stood next to him as David Grey headed in that goal!

Radium
11-08-2017, 11:37 AM
My first game was away to Cowdenbeath in the early 70's getting the train from Dalmeny, but as I was three, have absolutely no memory of it.

Thereafter we only went to a couple of games a season at most.

Remember him getting into an argument with 'some idiot' on the turnstile who wouldn't let him lift me over.

First game I have a memory of is Dundee at home in the late 70's. We won and Dundee had that generic strip with the contrast stripes up the front. (also being knackered running up to the top of the East Terracing)

Saw the two Norwegians play against Morton in the main stand.

Was never taken to the New Years derby matches in the 70's so my first New Year game was Clydebank (I think) in the Cowshed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pedantic_Hibee
11-08-2017, 11:41 AM
Still go with my 86 year old Dad, now and again.

My son and I play "Granda-bingo" with him. His favourite sayings are...

"Don't pass the ball across your 18-yard box"

"Cormack/Duncan/Brazil/Cummings...you couldny kick me."

(my favourite)...."Jesus-suffering-catfish"

Jesus suffering catfish 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Tambo
11-08-2017, 03:11 PM
They used to open the big gates just after the second half started back in the late 60s / early 70s iirc.

That's a bit before my time.

CropleyWasGod
11-08-2017, 05:10 PM
They used to open the big gates just after the second half started back in the late 60s / early 70s iirc.The origin of the phrase "early doors" I think.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

TheCabbage
11-08-2017, 05:12 PM
My dad had only ever taken me to 1 match.
Jan 1983 I think v Aberdeen in the SC cup.
In fact it's the only match he has ever been 2.
Doesn't like football!!

SmashinGlass
11-08-2017, 05:36 PM
My dad is a jambo.........

My son comes with me, but being 13, it won't be long before he flies the nest and goes with his mates. That said, I hope he doesn't and that we can have a lifelong passion together. That would make me a happy man when I grow old.

BSEJVT
11-08-2017, 05:39 PM
One thing I have found interesting on this thread is the number of sons of Jambo fathers who have seen the light.

Please don't tell me the same thing happens in reverse with us

malcolm
11-08-2017, 06:18 PM
My Dad only took me to two games. I had thought the first was at tynecastle and that actually was the start of a lifelong passion- it helped we scored 7 :greengrin but thinking on it, the first was a scottish cup final. I remember Gordon scoring but the 6 goals scored against us were a bit of blur other than seeing a rather chubby forward doing the worst ever version of an Efe Ambrose celebration.:boo hoo:

Mainstandman
12-08-2017, 08:44 AM
My dad took me to Tynie as a lad, one game and I saw the light and went to Hibs. Years later I've converted him and he's got a
Season ticket at ER beside me.