PDA

View Full Version : USPGA Golf 2017

HibernianJK
10-08-2017, 08:08 AM
Well it all starts today at Quail Hollow. Anyone got any fancies? I've went with Matsuyama as my main bet with small stakes on Scott, Chappell and Bubba.

Long off the tee is the key apparently.

frazeHFC
10-08-2017, 10:54 AM
Wonder if Spieth will complete the set, would be some achievement at any age never mind his. I've not got any picks this time because mine always fail miserably.

greenlex
10-08-2017, 12:55 PM
I'm not having a punt either so Koepka McIlroy or Rahm will win.

heretoday
10-08-2017, 05:09 PM
It's on the beeb although as usual they're taking their time getting round to showing actual live play. Lots of slowmo action, ambient music and chat with boring old Ken Brown.

ACLeith
10-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Watched the coverage for about 30 minutes. Thinking of giving up on it already as it's as appalling as I expected it to be

silverhibee
10-08-2017, 06:56 PM
What channel is this on. ?

Sergey
10-08-2017, 07:07 PM

BBC Red Button

silverhibee
10-08-2017, 07:43 PM
BBC Red Button

Cheers. :aok:

frazeHFC
10-08-2017, 08:48 PM
This coverage is absolutely awful. Can't stand that Maureen woman, mute it is. Never appreciated Sky Sports so much until now.

HibernianJK
10-08-2017, 09:29 PM
Think its on channel 980 from about 6pm non stop coverage.

Golden Bear
11-08-2017, 07:53 AM
I've bets on McIlroy, Koepke, Matsuyama and Colsaerts.

Like others, I was very disappointed in the Beeb's so called "coverage" of the tournament.

The sound quality in particular was very poor and the on course atmosphere just didn't come across. Bring back Sky please, professionalism at its best compared with this mob.

frazeHFC
11-08-2017, 08:26 AM
Watching the highlights on Sky Sports now with the usual Sky team. Far better!

frazeHFC
11-08-2017, 08:38 AM
Watching the highlights on Sky Sports now with the usual Sky team. Far better!

Never mind, that was the Open highlights. Was wondering why the course looked so linksy. :faf:

derekHFC
11-08-2017, 08:38 AM
BBC Red ButtonLive coverage from America is available on a EIR 1 if you happen to have it :wink:

Tornadoes70
11-08-2017, 09:26 AM
This coverage is absolutely awful. Can't stand that Maureen woman, mute it is. Never appreciated Sky Sports so much until now.

The BBC coverage is always more or less centered around Rory or other 'home' favorites with bits and pieces shown of the others and its not fit for purpose in all honesty with its commentators like Maureen who sounds more like a bowls or curling commentator.

Mind you I did enjoy watching the trio of Rory, Rahm and Fowler, lots of great shots played.

Anyone could win this one with lots of PGA journeymen like DA Points doing well but my bets are on Casey and Kuchar.

Hope the weather stays playable as its forecast to be extremely hot with potentially thunder-strikes.

theonlywayisup
11-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Watched the coverage last night. It was dreadful. Brown and Maureen Madill are so boring. And Peter Alliss should have retired years ago - his inane drivel, was interesting twenty years ago, but when compared to the Sky commentators is so out of touch.

ACLeith
11-08-2017, 09:48 AM
Watched the coverage last night. It was dreadful. Brown and Maureen Madill are so boring. And Peter Alliss should have retired years ago - his inane drivel, was interesting twenty years ago, but when compared to the Sky commentators is so out of touch.

Agree with everything you say. But my main gripe is they are always reactive and describe what we have just seen there is no pre-shot analysis of the lie they have, distance to go, options they are facing etc.

theonlywayisup
11-08-2017, 09:58 AM
Agree with everything you say. But my main gripe is they are always reactive and describe what we have just seen there is no pre-shot analysis of the lie they have, distance to go, options they are facing etc.

100% agree - it's like they are commentating from a TV studio in London or Birmingham and have as much knowledge of the course that you or I have.

Golden Bear
11-08-2017, 11:31 AM
100% agree - it's like they are commentating from a TV studio in London or Birmingham and have as much knowledge of the course that you or I have.

This exactly. If they can't do a job properly then they shouldn't have bid for the broadcasting rights.

Golden Bear
11-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Never mind, that was the Open highlights. Was wondering why the course looked so linksy. :faf:

:crazy:

I do worry at times.

:greengrin

heretoday
11-08-2017, 07:50 PM
BBC coverage is very low-key. Odd somehow. Peter Alliss doesn't help and Diana Madill. It's like geriatrics commentating.

Smartie
11-08-2017, 09:14 PM
A couple of years ago I would have much preferred the BBC coverage.

They seem out of practice now though. They don't do enough of it to be as good as they used to be, it is stale and outdated and needs new ideas.

It's not THAT bad though.

Sky used to annoy me, but they've got better and better.

This makes me appreciate Sky a wee bit more.

ACLeith
12-08-2017, 09:50 AM

I watched it last night for a while whilst remembering your comment and I couldn't help thinking you might be right! Didn't hear anything that convinced me they were actually there 🙄

heretoday
12-08-2017, 10:11 AM
A couple of years ago I would have much preferred the BBC coverage.

They seem out of practice now though. They don't do enough of it to be as good as they used to be, it is stale and outdated and needs new ideas.

It's not THAT bad though.

Sky used to annoy me, but they've got better and better.

This makes me appreciate Sky a wee bit more.

You're absolutely right. Unfortunately!

Tornadoes70
12-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Hadn't seen much of Matsuyama prior to this tournament but now know he's a top player who looks a contender to win this. Disappointed in Kuchar and Casey's showing last night as they were my bets but Casey still has an outside chance of making a fist of it. If Matsuyama continues his form he looks like the likely winner.

Tornadoes70
12-08-2017, 06:40 PM
I've bets on McIlroy, Koepke, Matsuyama and Colsaerts.

Like others, I was very disappointed in the Beeb's so called "coverage" of the tournament.

The sound quality in particular was very poor and the on course atmosphere just didn't come across. Bring back Sky please, professionalism at its best compared with this mob.

I'm pretty sure the BBC are covering the Golf using an American sports channel feed and voicing over for us with Peter Alliss etc. Its certainly not the usual type BBC coverage.

Tornadoes70
12-08-2017, 10:48 PM
I'm really hoping Kisner doesn't win as its a win for the bookie. Hardly anyone would have put a penny on him winning.

Tornadoes70
13-08-2017, 09:35 PM
Looks like Justin Thomas is the likely winner now.

heretoday
13-08-2017, 10:12 PM
I'd like Matsuyama to win but he's being a bit careless.