PDA

View Full Version : can you spot yer Da?

bigwheel
09-08-2017, 04:38 PM
Great pic from Easter Road in the 50's...recognise anyone??

PS Everyone is suited up...I'm guessing there was a "nae trainers" door policy :wink:

ancient hibee
09-08-2017, 05:44 PM
All got coats on-must be August.I'd be on the terracing getting soaked.

KSA Hibee
09-08-2017, 05:50 PM
Is it any coincidence that we had a great team around this time ??? ... and there are bunnets being worn in abundance :confused:

Bring 'em back I say .... compulsory attire I say :thumbsup:

Keith_M
09-08-2017, 05:50 PM
Not a single scarf in sight.

That musta been the 50s casuals

:wink:

emerald green
09-08-2017, 05:51 PM
So many men wearing collar and tie to the match. Hardly any women to be seen in the crowd. Changed days.

SanFranHibs
09-08-2017, 05:52 PM
So many men wearing collar and tie to the match. Hardly any women to be seen in the crowd. Changed days.

Yeah, hardly anyone wears a collar and tie anymore :)

alhibby
09-08-2017, 05:52 PM
Loving the guy on the left looking at camera, the first cam pout :wink:

Pete
09-08-2017, 05:55 PM
Loving the guy on the left looking at camera, the first cam pout :wink:

Also the first ever "ooh matron".

Anyone in their seventies now would be sitting by the side of the pitch, as they were allowed to back then.

brog
09-08-2017, 05:58 PM
Didn't see my Dad but I did see Mogadon Miller, under the E. Don't forget this was the enclosure, these were our (aspiring( posh fans!

Hi Heid Yin
09-08-2017, 06:01 PM
Without question people in general dressed more smartly way back in the 1950's. Practically every man in this photograph is wearing a collar and tie - to a football match!! this is unimaginable in this day and age - where Tshirts and jeans is the norm for the majority. Whilst I'm at it, even theatre goers today look scruffy compared to those frequenters of the mid 20th century. Whatever happened to the bulk of men and ladies wearing stylish hats?
I'm a sprightly 59 year old, who can remember well-dressed uncles and aunts; a time when every one made an effort.
The nearest we get to smart dressed women today are the young women who work in Armstrongs Vintage clothes shops - one or two of them look fabulous in their vintage dresses and hairdo's.
Okay, enough of my nostalgic moans.

Iggy Pope
09-08-2017, 06:03 PM
The boy staring at the camera middle left is a piece of work and no mistake. Bet he ****ing hates Hertz.

emerald green
09-08-2017, 06:05 PM
The boy staring at the camera middle left is a piece of work and no mistake. Bet he ****ing hates Hertz.

:greengrin :top marks

High-On-Hibs
09-08-2017, 06:05 PM
Without question people in general dressed more smartly way back in the 1950's. Practically every man in this photograph is wearing a collar and tie - to a football match!! this is unimaginable in this day and age - where Tshirts and jeans is the norm for the majority. Whilst I'm at it, even theatre goers today look scruffy compared to those frequenters of the mid 20th century. Whatever happened to the bulk of men and ladies wearing stylish hats?
I'm a sprightly 59 year old, who can remember well-dressed uncles and aunts; a time when every one made an effort.
The nearest we get to smart dressed women today are the young women who work in Armstrongs Vintage clothes shops - one or two of them look fabulous in their vintage dresses and hairdo's.

I wouldn't say that people don't dress smart today, it's just a different trend now. You can look smart without wearing your granda's auld hat. :wink:

Iggy Pope
09-08-2017, 06:06 PM
Didn't see my Dad but I did see Mogadon Miller, under the E. Don't forget this was the enclosure, these were our (aspiring( posh fans!

And the hooligan on his left looks to be a right rebel.

SanFranHibs
09-08-2017, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't say that people don't dress smart today, it's just a different trend now. You can look smart without wearing your granda's auld hat. :wink:

Tell your grandma that :)

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-08-2017, 06:11 PM
Such a great photo but anyone else notice no young people in the shot?

SirDavidsNapper
09-08-2017, 06:15 PM

PS Everyone is suited up...I'm guessing there was a "nae trainers" door policy :wink:

They must have all been heading up George street after 😉

High-On-Hibs
09-08-2017, 06:20 PM

:agree:

Clearly that prawn sandwich section of way back then. Those off cam will be in rags. :greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-08-2017, 06:23 PM
:agree:

Clearly that prawn sandwich section of way back then. Those off cam will be in rags. :greengrin

:top marks

Hibbycol
09-08-2017, 06:29 PM
My dad was always on the terrace ,you where either posh or rich if you went in the main stand ,i fondly remember him saying.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

High-On-Hibs
09-08-2017, 06:32 PM
My dad was always on the terrace ,you where either posh or rich if you went in the main stand ,i fondly remember him saying.

Or a 50s gangster with very very deep pockets. :wink:

Hibbycol
09-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Or a 50s gangster with very very deep pockets. :wink:[emoji859]️*♀️you dirty rat

Hibbycol
09-08-2017, 06:39 PM
[emoji859]️*♀️you dirty rat

Sent from my SM-G925F using TapatalkMust double check my posts before clicking send (note to self )[emoji20]

Lancs Harp
09-08-2017, 06:41 PM
Its the CCS. Those overcoats, shirts, ties and hats are all stone island.

Its a great picture.

heretoday
09-08-2017, 06:42 PM

You're absolutely right. Bunch of scruffs now.

Lancs Harp
09-08-2017, 06:45 PM
On what is considered smart, I wonder who decided tying a thin piece of material around your neck was smart? Its a bit strange if you think about it.

Hi Heid Yin
09-08-2017, 06:49 PM
You're absolutely right. Bunch of scruffs now.

:tee hee::tee hee:

Andy74
09-08-2017, 06:50 PM
On what is considered smart, I wonder who decided tying a thin piece of material around your neck was smart? Its a bit strange if you think about it.

Croats.

Hi Heid Yin
09-08-2017, 06:51 PM

Respect.:wink:

Hibrandenburg
09-08-2017, 07:04 PM
The crowds were much bigger then due to the lack of chubbies, more people could fit in the stadium.

Tornadoes70
09-08-2017, 07:10 PM
The crowds were much bigger then due to the lack of chubbies, more people could fit in the stadium.

Chubbie neanderthal looking hun.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BeDCEyqIIAEHoHL.jpg

HappyAsHellas
09-08-2017, 07:11 PM
I take it the guys wearing the plastic overcoats on top of their real ones bought dodgy non waterproof versions. Can't see anyone smoking either which is quite frankly ridiculous for the fifties. I smell kodak brownie shop.

Jim44
09-08-2017, 07:44 PM
The guy in the centre with the black coat is Adolph Eichman.

Joe6-2
09-08-2017, 07:46 PM

There are, everyone looked auld then!

Bishop Hibee
09-08-2017, 07:49 PM
I've got a crowd photo from the EEN (I think) 1959 of part of the East terracing with my Grandpa and 2 of my uncles in it. Great heirloom.

Bostonhibby
09-08-2017, 07:49 PM
Such a great photo but anyone else notice no young people in the shot?They were the young people. Just aged badly in those days.

Great thread[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
09-08-2017, 07:59 PM
Chubbie neanderthal looking hun.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BeDCEyqIIAEHoHL.jpgIs that a lettuce in that trolley? What's the point?

Do they know it's green?

Tornadoes70
09-08-2017, 08:07 PM
Is that a lettuce in that trolley?

Do they know it's green?

Looks like hun Augustus Gloop neanderthal found himself in the wrong supermarket section and is being pointed to the sweets and snacks which he had been searching greedily for.

ancient hibee
09-08-2017, 08:28 PM
A lot of the people in the photo would have been working on Saturday morning.I used to often go to the match from work in the sixties.

proud_and_green
09-08-2017, 09:31 PM
Croats.Correct, I believe many worked in France where the style caught on and was called a cravat.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

bigwheel
09-08-2017, 09:41 PM
Love the chat on this thread ...this enclosure crew certainly had a bit of style about them didn't they...is west lower crowd need to up our game ! [emoji2][emoji106]

snooky
09-08-2017, 09:52 PM
They were the young people. Just aged badly in those days.

Great thread[emoji106]

:agree: Definitely

BTW, weren't those raincoats called "Pacamacs"? You could roll them up & put them in your pocket. Awful things but they were better than getting drooked.

Bostonhibby
09-08-2017, 09:56 PM

BTW, weren't those raincoats called "Pacamacs"? You could roll them up & put them in your pocket. Awful things but they were better than getting drooked.

Nae idea, before my time:wink:

Kagoul man myself.

Victor
09-08-2017, 10:21 PM

Yeah, 'Pacamacs' were compulsory summer attire
in the 60's. Burberry's and balaclavas in the winter.

kaimendhibs
10-08-2017, 06:09 AM
Nice to see Frankie Howard was a hibee🤣

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Deansy
10-08-2017, 07:35 AM
Yeah, 'Pacamacs' were compulsory summer attire
in the 60's. Burberry's and balaclavas in the winter.

I remember them, loved my Burberry (C&A's iirc ??) but loathed the Pacamac - unfortunately when your Mother was in charge of your wardrobe you got very little input into your 'Fashion-sense' between the ages of 6-11 !

Speedway
10-08-2017, 07:41 AM
Not a single scarf in sight.

That musta been the 50s casuals

:wink:

This was before the casuals, these boys were known as 'The Formals' and you did not mess with them.

Keith_M
10-08-2017, 07:54 AM
My Dad was a nipper when that photo was taken but when he was going out with my mum in the early 60s, she used to get annoyed with the fact that he insisted on always wearing a shirt and tie, even to the beach!

His idea of 'dressing down' at the seaside was apparently to loosen his tie a bit. If it got really hot, he would maybe roll up his shirt sleeves...but only as a last resort.

One Day
10-08-2017, 08:18 AM

Brilliant pic Deansy

blackpoolhibs
10-08-2017, 08:24 AM
Is that Michael McIntyre's dad 2nd right?

Mick O'Rourke
10-08-2017, 08:33 AM
Wisnae unusual then for men to wear their glad rags tae the fitba'.
It wiz a day oot.
Home game would include a couple of pints of heavy or light before the game (nae lager then)
Last orders 2.30pm
Double rounds ordered.
Off tae the match ,many getting in after 3pm.
Many fans would stand in the same place, week in week oot.
Chew the fat,catch up wae yer Saturday pals.
Cheer the team ,wee sing song,wee bevvy.
Hope fur a win.

4.40pm final whistle,mad dash oot the ground, queuing up at the Albion Bar for 5pm opening.
Up Easter Road for pie and chips or a sit doon at the Tiffen cafe, if ye could afford it
Then up tae Lovats Bar, mair heavy, coupla whisky's, then doon tae Stewart's fur a burd,or looking at the age of some in photo,meet the wife and off tae the pictures at The Regent )
A typical day at the fitba!

The auld enclosure was a bit dearer than the main terracing.
Could explains nae youngsters in the photo.
No "Boys Gate" there, iirc.
Boys Gate at the main terracing.
Although many,including myself, would get a "lift over"
That involved standing next to a turnstile waiting on an adult to lift you over for free into the ground.

Jimmy once said to me
Michael,what age are ye?
Ye ken what age i am, i replied.
Aye, yer 19 and still asking fur a lift over at Easter Road.
Stoap it !!

Keith_M
10-08-2017, 08:53 AM
I'm sure that's little Wally Batty centre left, looking at the photographer

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/49/7d/30/497d30033db32834e4ae69ee6ff74cf8.jpg

IWasThere2016
10-08-2017, 09:36 AM

I spotted one, and nae bairns!

bigwheel
10-08-2017, 09:39 AM
I bet you most of these beautiful overcoats and suits were still being paid up when that pic was taken! #tailormade

Jim44
10-08-2017, 09:47 AM
I remember standing behind the goals we were attacking and, at half time, walking round via the front of the East Terracing to the other goals for the second half.

snooky
10-08-2017, 11:15 AM
It wiz a day oot.
Home game would include a couple of pints of heavy or light before the game (nae lager then)
Last orders 2.30pm
Double rounds ordered.
Hope fur a win.

4.40pm final whistle,mad dash oot the ground, queuing up at the Albion Bar for 5pm opening.
Up Easter Road for pie and chips or a sit doon at the Tiffen cafe, if ye could afford it
Then up tae Lovats Bar, mair heavy, coupla whisky's, then doon tae Stewart's fur a burd,or looking at the age of some in photo,meet the wife and off tae the pictures at The Regent )

That involved standing next to a turnstile waiting on an adult to lift you over for free into the ground.

Jimmy once said to me
Michael,what age are ye?
Stoap it !!

I remember back in the early 50s sitting on my dad's shoulders at the top bit of the east terracing.
Because we were so high up the players looked miniature - like subbutteo players.
That mental snapshot is stuck in my mind forever.

Keith_M
10-08-2017, 11:20 AM
I bet you most of these beautiful overcoats and suits were still being paid up when that pic was taken! #tailormade

#fiftybobtailor

GreenLake
10-08-2017, 11:24 AM
Looks like Kenny Miller's dad on the left.

Alfiembra
10-08-2017, 11:24 AM
It wiz a day oot.
Last orders 2.30pm
Double rounds ordered.
Hope fur a win.

Jimmy once said to me
Michael,what age are ye?
Stoap it !!

Bet you asked for a half on the bus too :greengrin

After the game I always remember getting taken round to an old record shop in Brunswick Place I think that sold second hand 45's that were in piles hanging from the roof on strings.....bizzare

pollution
10-08-2017, 11:47 AM
Great posed photograph. Why is the man in the Pacamac - dead centre of photo - the only one to be reacting

to an off camera incident. Every other spectator is not reacting, perhaps 300 of them?

He is the only man wearing a Pacamac to make him stand out. No one, not one person is smoking, which is incredible for the time.

The hard man to the left is trying to look hard, staring at the camera directly.

I suggest the photo is posed to suit a story in the News - ad also dead centre.

Don't be so trusting. The camera never lies....

Colr
10-08-2017, 01:05 PM
I take it the guys wearing the plastic overcoats on top of their real ones bought dodgy non waterproof versions. Can't see anyone smoking either which is quite frankly ridiculous for the fifties. I smell kodak brownie shop.

Must have been a nightmare getting stuff dry before central heating.

Colr
10-08-2017, 01:06 PM

That's what the stress of fighting a war does for you!!

WoreTheGreen
10-08-2017, 01:15 PM
That's what the stress of fighting a war does for you!!

Ah thought hertz won the war but don't like to speak about it

Jim44
10-08-2017, 01:40 PM

............. and to think that was the schoolboy enclosure.:greengrin

Mick O'Rourke
10-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Bet you asked for a half on the bus too :greengrin

After the game I always remember getting taken round to an old record shop in Brunswick Place I think that sold second hand 45's that were in piles hanging from the roof on strings.....bizzare

Most indubitably!
However,i would only ask for a half if i couldnae avoid the conductor by looking oot the windae when he was walking up the aisle saying "fares please"

I don't think the photo is contrived.
It will likely have been an EEN/Scotsman photographer just catching the moment.
Something was going on doon the slope.
Corner kick? Goal mouth drama?

The expression on the face of the "man in the mac" suggests he just found an old penny dainty in his pocket.
Either that or he was trying to peel an orange without his pal noticing.:paranoid:
There is a guy up in the stand having a smoke:cb Looks like a Capstan Full Strength tae me.

Its a memorable photo,though.
Be great if someone knew the date .
The Scotsman/EEN archive (if its their photo) would have a record.
Any Scotsman employees on the forum?

snooky
10-08-2017, 02:28 PM
Interesting that there's a big space between the cameraman and the first subjects yet the rest of the crowd looks quite closely packed. Also, the man on the Pacamac man's left has his Pacamac rolled up in his arms.
The drama on the faces suggests that there's some concern about Hibs defence at the bottom of the slope.
Ay been. :coffee:

:greengrin

ancient hibee
10-08-2017, 05:27 PM
That photograph is I think to publicise that the Evening News has taken advertising space on the stand.It looks very freshly painted and is centred in the shot.

JohnMcM
10-08-2017, 06:40 PM
I remember standing behind the goals we were attacking and, at half time, walking round via the front of the East Terracing to the other goals for the second half.

Me too Jim. Best not to mention the stuff that was thrown at us when the uglies came to town :duck: