PDA

View Full Version : John McGinn

Cameron1875
08-08-2017, 11:46 PM
This boy is our best player since Scott Brown. An absolutely wonderful player and worth the price of a Season Ticket alone.

If/when he leaves us then we should be demanding top dollar and I mean 4-5 million quid because he is the heartbeat of this team. I know it's only Partick and Ayr but this guy is something special.

GGTTH.

NAE NOOKIE
08-08-2017, 11:55 PM
I know it was only Ayr Utd tonight, only as in the are two leagues below us currently, but even so McGinn's display was absolutely top drawer, every time he got the ball you thought we would do something and his passing and ball retention were both superb, if he can keep the form he has displayed since the start of the season and replicate it in most of his Premiership matches he will be in the running for the Premiership player of the season come May.

A £5,000.000 player on this form ... c'mon the end of August hurry up :confused:

Tornadoes70
08-08-2017, 11:55 PM
This boy is our best player since Scott Brown. An absolutely wonderful player and worth the price of a Season Ticket alone.

If/when he leaves us then we should be demanding top dollar and I mean 4-5 million quid because he is the heartbeat of this team. I know it's only Partick and Ayr but this guy is something special.

GGTTH.

100%

Young John is a very special player with no end of skill, drive and all round play and is easily a 4 mill plus player. We will miss him terribly when he goes which he will in time. Let's enjoy him while he is still at ER. Legend that he will always be.

:not worth

Forza Fred
09-08-2017, 12:00 AM
Seems to be playing with increased determination this season.

Pleasing to see him run at defences.

Big90inOz
09-08-2017, 12:05 AM
John McGinn was good last year but he is on a different level this season. His range of passing and strength on the ball is way ahead of his past performances

heretoday
09-08-2017, 01:30 AM
He is stronger than last year. He's put on some muscle.

cabbageandribs1875
09-08-2017, 01:30 AM
i hope he signs an extension during the course of this season or there won't be any bumper transfer fee going in to his last season after the end of this one :( imo

just thinking ahead likes :)

Auckland Hibs
09-08-2017, 02:14 AM
i hope he signs an extension during the course of this season or there won't be any bumper transfer fee going in to his last season after the end of this one :( imo

just thinking ahead likes :)

Agree :agree:

We should be breaking the bank with a new contract ASAP - if we can tie him down to a 3/4 year extension then we could be looking at selling him for the highest fee the club has ever received (in a couple of years!).

1van Sprou7e
09-08-2017, 02:18 AM
Agree :agree:

We should be breaking the bank with a new contract ASAP - if we can tie him down to a 3/4 year extension then we could be looking at selling him for the highest fee the club has ever received (in a couple of years!).

Agree but didn't we already "break the bank" for Stokesy?

Bay Area Hibees
09-08-2017, 03:57 AM
Also comes across as very smart level headed boy.
Here to big season for us and if it has to be, big pay day when he leaves.

jax67
09-08-2017, 06:09 AM
I wish he'd stop those booming sixty yard cross field passes,
until the transfer window closes anyway.

bawheid
09-08-2017, 06:15 AM
I wish he'd stop those booming sixty yard cross field passes,
until the transfer window closes anyway.

Some of his passing and vision last night was Sauzee-esque. I'd go as far to say he's better than Scott Brown at that age. Certainly a slightly different type of player.

£4-5m? Double it!

Frogga
09-08-2017, 06:16 AM
Totally agree about the 'best player since Scott Brown' tag. Very special player with the mental toughness to go far.

Scouse Hibee
09-08-2017, 06:18 AM
Has raised his game to a new level this season, tremendous to watch.

Onion
09-08-2017, 06:20 AM
On top form at the moment, in total control of the last 2 games, and looks every bit a £4m player. Got to hold onto him this season.

hibee_girl
09-08-2017, 06:39 AM
John McGinn was by far the best player on the pitch last night, we were saying he definitely looks that wee bit stronger this season too

Smartie
09-08-2017, 07:16 AM
If we keep McGinn beyond the end of this month this could be a fantastic season for us.

I still get a feeling that someone, somewhere might test our nerve with a cheeky bid.

There's a lot of money down South and if the likes of Sunderland start the season badly, they might be tempted to stick a bid in for a guy who was immense against them in pre-season.

Gatecrasher
09-08-2017, 07:19 AM
last night that 60+ yard cross field pass to Gray was top notch.

Borderhibbie76
09-08-2017, 07:20 AM
If we keep McGinn beyond the end of this month this could be a fantastic season for us.

I still get a feeling that someone, somewhere might test our nerve with a cheeky bid.

There's a lot of money down South and if the likes of Sunderland start the season badly, they might be tempted to stick a bid in for a guy who was immense against them in pre-season.Please stop saying these things...its like tempting fate. I don't think anyone down south will offer anything like what Hibs are looking for atm...if any bids come in They will be cheap, cheeky ones I reckon that Leeann will throw out the door (praying)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

renato
09-08-2017, 07:28 AM
On absolute fire last night, complete midfield performance. I mentioned the same on the PM board, for me that was the best performance from a Hibs player since Stokes in the cup final.

Sir David Gray
09-08-2017, 07:31 AM
If he played in England, his starting price would be at least £20 million.

He's an exceptional talent and was outstanding last night.

neil7908
09-08-2017, 07:32 AM
I think the key here is going to be what John wants. I have no inside knowledge but he seems happy at the club and a sensible guy who won't go around causing trouble to get a move.

That really strengthens the clubs hand and allows us to ensure we get top dollar for him.

We should be throwing everything we can at getting him to sign a new deal.

ronaldo7
09-08-2017, 07:35 AM
John McGinn was by far the best player on the pitch last night, we were saying he definitely looks that wee bit stronger this season too

:agree: He was my MOM. Fantastic performance against a team which, at times, gave us a game last season. It just shows how far Lennon has taken this team.

calumhibee1
09-08-2017, 07:36 AM
I think the key here is going to be what John wants. I have no inside knowledge but he seems happy at the club and a sensible guy who won't go around causing trouble to get a move.

That really strengthens the clubs hand and allows us to ensure we get top dollar for him.

We should be throwing everything we can at getting him to sign a new deal.

Agreed. Break the wage structure, give him whatever we've left in the budget (within reason of course!) and tell him we'll let him speak to anyone who offers at least £4m.

Firestarter
09-08-2017, 07:38 AM
He is now looking almost complete. New contract needed asap.

hughio
09-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Agreed. Break the wage structure, give him whatever we've left in the budget (within reason of course!) and tell him we'll let him speak to anyone who offers at least £4m.
:agree:

I'm already feeling sadness at the prospect of his leaving.
He's so important to us right now.

With the bumper crowds were getting we must make provision to extend his contract now if at all possible.
He and Stokesy seemed to inspire each other last night.

PLEASE Leanne!

Hibby_G
09-08-2017, 09:51 AM
If he played in England, his starting price would be at least £20 million.

He's an exceptional talent and was outstanding last night.

he 100% would be :agree:

He ran rings around Sunderland a few weeks back

John Mcginn is an outstanding player and we should be holding out for at least 4 million

Keyser Sauzee
09-08-2017, 09:58 AM
If we keep him after this month then I think when he goes we will do well to get north of £2m for him. Sell this month and we can get a bit more but I'd rather he stayed 2 more years and got nothing for him than sell him now.

Sean1875
09-08-2017, 10:04 AM
As much as I'd love Hendo to come back, if we were potentially looking in to getting him I would quite happily rather have a chunk of whatever wages we were going to offer him given to SJM instead with a contract extension..

I really fear that if he has a stormer of a season this year and with only 1 year left on his contract after that we may face the prospect of losing him for less than hes worth.

Thecat23
09-08-2017, 10:07 AM
Hibs should get John in for an extended contract offer. Give him a bump in wage as he deserves it. Make sure we put a sell on fee in their as well.

If he signs it then Hibs look to have s player they may well go for over £3m.

NAE NOOKIE
09-08-2017, 01:16 PM
At the risk of extending this to yet another 'what is SJM worth' discussion :greengrin I just don't get why folk are talking in the 2 or 3 million quid bracket.

Can anybody think of a Scottish midfield player who at the age he is and the form he is showing you would rather have in the Hibs team than John McGinn? The only club in Scotland who could possible afford him is Celtic and outside of them the market is in England, at which point you enter a whole new ballpark budget wise.

This is a player who would easily fit into any English championship side and cant be far off EPL quality if he isn't already ....... I would be hugely disappointed if Hibs were to accept less than 4 million quid for a player with such huge potential and especially from a club in a football system where clubs pay more than that to prise promising 16 year olds from their rivals .... 16 year olds who don't have full international caps and winners medals from 3 different senior national competitions.

RoscoHibby
09-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Can't mind the last time I loved a hibs player so much. And He's only gonna get better. New 3yr deal on better money and some of the transfer fee required asap!

Tornadoes70
09-08-2017, 01:26 PM
At the risk of extending this to yet another 'what is SJM worth' discussion :greengrin I just don't get why folk are talking in the 2 or 3 million quid bracket.

Can anybody think of a Scottish midfield player who at the age he is and the form he is showing you would rather have in the Hibs team than John McGinn? The only club in Scotland who could possible afford him is Celtic and outside of them the market is in England, at which point you enter a whole new ballpark budget wise.

This is a player who would easily fit into any English championship side and cant be far off EPL quality if he isn't already ....... I would be hugely disappointed if Hibs were to accept less than 4 million quid for a player with such huge potential and especially from a club in a football system where clubs pay more than that to prise promising 16 year olds from their rivals .... 16 year olds who don't have full international caps and winners medals from 3 different senior national competitions.

Totally agree.

Gauge the fact Joe Garner was sold to the huns for 1.8 million against the quality of player SJM is. Different positions granted but when a run of the mill very average striker like Garner goes for 1.8 million then the superb SJM must be in the 4-6 million bracket.

I too can't understand why some folk would think any less than 4 million is a starting point for this extremely talented hard working gifted young player.

JeMeSouviens
09-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Do you think we could make it mandatory that all threads about SJM are titled - "Don't worry, SJM not leaving"?

I'm scared to open them ... :worried:

RossScott1991
09-08-2017, 01:34 PM
Amazing player. The % of fee we get though goes to St Mirren really does annoy me. How much is it again 30% of any fee?

so all these figures of 5million etc sound amazing, but reality is we won't receive that amount! unless I am wrong?

CropleyWasGod
09-08-2017, 01:39 PM
Amazing player. The % of fee we get though goes to St Mirren really does annoy me. How much is it again 30% of any fee?

so all these figures of 5million etc sound amazing, but reality is we won't receive that amount! unless I am wrong?

Nobody, outside of us and St Mirren, actually knows.

Their chairman claims it is 30%. Rod says it's "nothing like that". 0% and 50% are both "nothing like that".

Not sure why the sell-on fee would annoy you. It's normal practice these days for young players. We made a fair bit from sell-on fees for Fletch and Bamba, for example. Even if it were a 30% fee, we'd be getting 70% of a good price, having paid nothing for him, and had the pleasure of seeing him for a few years.

Tornadoes70
09-08-2017, 01:44 PM

The point is that Hibernian should never be seen as a club to be bullied into selling exceptional players on the cheap to predator clubs. Even at 4 million I think (if it is 30%) Hibs would be due 2.8 million with St mirren 1.2 million with both clubs being well rewarded and SJM having won the Holy Grail with us leaving as a legend and I think he won the League Cup with St mirren.

When he does go it should be market value and he should be worth at least 4 million and will leave as the legend he is with all the goodwill in the world from us when the time is right for all parties.

TRC
09-08-2017, 01:49 PM
Anyone know if we have offered him a new contract? Wouldn't surprise me if we have already started trying to get him on a new contract.

Iggy Pope
09-08-2017, 02:07 PM
Totally agree.

Gauge the fact Joe Garner was sold to the huns for 1.8 million against the quality of player SJM is. Different positions granted but when a run of the mill very average striker like Garner goes for 1.8 million then the superb SJM must be in the 4-6 million bracket.

I too can't understand why some folk would think any less than 4 million is a starting point for this extremely talented hard working gifted young player.

I'm liking your posts.Welcome aboard.

Smartie
09-08-2017, 02:09 PM
He has spent the last couple of years in the Scottish Championship, which will have led to his value dropping.

His value is only going to increase from here, in a league with greater exposure and better players.

Much as we hate them, Rangers are still a big club who get a lot of media attention. If he bosses their midfield (again) on Saturday then his value will increase. If he consistently does the business against Premier League teams over the course of the season his value will increase. If he does it at some point against Celtic (the best team in the country) it will increase. If he establishes himself in the Scotland team it will increase. All of these things are not just possible, they are likely.

We'd be mental to sell him now, unless he got an offer that he really, really wanted to pursue.

I don't think he will though. He seems happy, is playing well with a prominent role in a good team, and he's sensible enough to know that if he boxes clever over the next year then his next move could be a fantastic one.

JeMeSouviens
09-08-2017, 02:15 PM
He has spent the last couple of years in the Scottish Championship, which will have led to his value dropping.

His value is only going to increase from here, in a league with greater exposure and better players.

Much as we hate them, Rangers are still a big club who get a lot of media attention. If he bosses their midfield (again) on Saturday then his value will increase. If he consistently does the business against Premier League teams over the course of the season his value will increase. If he does it at some point against Celtic (the best team in the country) it will increase. If he establishes himself in the Scotland team it will increase. All of these things are not just possible, they are likely.

We'd be mental to sell him now, unless he got an offer that he really, really wanted to pursue.

I don't think he will though. He seems happy, is playing well with a prominent role in a good team, and he's sensible enough to know that if he boxes clever over the next year then his next move could be a fantastic one.

:confused:

During which time he's got Scotland caps, played in 2 cup finals and been a standout in several games against some of Scotland's better clubs. His value has multiplied several times over since he left St Mirren for us.

frazeHFC
09-08-2017, 02:48 PM
A player with a league medal, League cup medal, and a Scottish cup medal, plus various Scotland caps - without even playing for the old firm - at his age is a brilliant record. We would be stupid to even consider accepting anything under £5m imo, especially with the money being spent throughout football just now.

matty_f
09-08-2017, 02:52 PM
A player with a league medal, League cup medal, and a Scottish cup medal, plus various Scotland caps - without even playing for the old firm - at his age is a brilliant record. We would be stupid to even consider accepting anything under £5m imo, especially with the money being spent throughout football just now.

:agree:

As good as, if not better than, Brown at that age imho.

McGinn is a stunning talent, we should not sell ourselves short when the time comes. I agree we should be getting an extension sorted of we can, give him more money and secure a great fee when we do eventually need to let him move on.

Smartie
09-08-2017, 03:02 PM
:confused:

During which time he's got Scotland caps, played in 2 cup finals and been a standout in several games against some of Scotland's better clubs. His value has multiplied several times over since he left St Mirren for us.

Yes, but he has been playing week in, week out against a lot of rubbish.

When he left St Mirren he was the captain of the Scotland under 21s, already had a medal and had played a lot of Premier League football.

If he hadn't been out of contract (and with a potential case to sue St Mirren) then there's no way we'd have been able to afford him.

He's done well for us, and all the things you point out are huge positives but I'm not convinced he's worth a great deal more NOW than when we signed him.

All of that is about to change, which is why we shouldn't be thinking about selling him now.

And why his signing was a superb piece of opportunistic business in the first place.

Tornadoes70
09-08-2017, 03:17 PM
I'm liking your posts.Welcome aboard.

Very much appreciated Iggy Pope. Very happy to be on board the good ship hibs.net.

:aok:

Keyser Sauzee
09-08-2017, 03:32 PM

We won't get anywhere near £5m for him, there's more chance of him staying 2 years and leaving for nothing than Hibs getting that kind of cash I'm afraid. If we get £2.5m I think we would have done well. Like I said earlier I'd be happy to keep him than sell for that though.

Iggy Pope
09-08-2017, 03:45 PM
Very much appreciated Iggy Pope. Very happy to be on board the good ship hibs.net.

:aok:

It's worth it just for that solid hero popping up on your avatar regularly.

Tornadoes70
09-08-2017, 03:53 PM
It's worth it just for that solid hero popping up on your avatar regularly.

The flying machine Nijinsky who scored a double in the greatest game in history. A legend indeed!

frazeHFC
09-08-2017, 03:57 PM
We won't get anywhere near £5m for him, there's more chance of him staying 2 years and leaving for nothing than Hibs getting that kind of cash I'm afraid. If we get £2.5m I think we would have done well. Like I said earlier I'd be happy to keep him than sell for that though.

£2.5m for a player of his quality would be scandalous, especially as we wouldn't find anyone who could lace his boots. I agree that ultimately we can't turn down good cash though, just hopefully in a years time his value has rocketed after he brings home more silverwear. :wink:

eastcoasthibby
09-08-2017, 04:00 PM
I doubt we would sell him for that sort of money, unless a 50% sell on clause was attached and maybe other incentives, games played, caps ..and he wanted it to happen. His value in playing for us for this season could be considerable and his development massive so his value rises. A new contract is a real option that could give a massive return on a pay increase .. So let's get it done as people have said push the boat out (think that might already have been done with stokes) ..

Iggy Pope
09-08-2017, 04:11 PM
The flying machine Nijinsky who scored a double in the greatest game in history. A legend indeed!

Keeping to the thread I'd love to have seen how Flyer could have thrived with a modern day beast of a midfielder like John McGinn. SJM could have been a Tornado without question.

Big_Franck
09-08-2017, 04:11 PM
I've heard fans say that we should keep hold of him for another season and sell him for millions next summer. Next summer he'll only have a year on his contract and as we are seeing with the Jamie Walker situation the player and buying club hold the aces in that situation. We'd be lucky to get much more than £1m next summer for a player that could sign a pre-contract with another club in 6 months.

Only way we're getting big money for him is if we sell him this window or if he signs an extension i'm afraid.

bigwheel
09-08-2017, 04:13 PM
I've heard fans say that we should keep hold of him for another season and sell him for millions next summer. Next summer he'll only have a year on his contract and as we are seeing with the Jamie Walker situation the player and buying club hold the aces in that situation. We'd be lucky to get much more than £1m next summer for a player that could sign a pre-contract with another club in 6 months.

Only way we're getting big money for him is if we sell him this window or if he signs an extension i'm afraid.

i honestly don't care if he goes for nothing at the end of his deal...i want to see McGinn bossing football matches in a Hibs strip like he did last night...

shetlandhibee
09-08-2017, 04:13 PM
:top marks
£2.5m for a player of his quality would be scandalous, especially as we wouldn't find anyone who could lace his boots. I agree that ultimately we can't turn down good cash though, just hopefully in a years time his value has rocketed after he brings home more silverwear. :wink: 100% agree:agree:

Big_Franck
09-08-2017, 04:15 PM
i honestly don't care if he goes for nothing at the end of his deal...i want to see McGinn bossing football matches in a Hibs strip like he did last night...

It wouldn't bother me either. I'd rather he stayed and helped us to qualify for Europe in the league or win another cup. That's what I buy a ST for, not to look over our annual accounts.

I just don't agree with some that think we can both keep a hold of him for another year and get a massive fee for him, provided he doesn't sign an extension of course.

Smartie
09-08-2017, 04:16 PM

It depends on who's buying.

If you have a player who wants to play for the Sevco franchise then you find yourselves in deep trouble as they have little to no cash and are playground bullies. They know what they can get away with up here.

Walker also has no International experience.

If you have a crowd of suitors from down South bidding to get hold of a current Internationalist then you have an entirely different situation, even if they do only have a year left on their contract.

McGinn won't sign another contract - why should he? We should get a good year from him then a good fee when he goes. We won't get silly money, but making deals like this that are best for all parties will see us getting more McGinns in future.

bigwheel
09-08-2017, 04:25 PM
It wouldn't bother me either. I'd rather he stayed and helped us to qualify for Europe in the league or win another cup. That's what I buy a ST for, not to look over our annual accounts.

I just don't agree with some that think we can both keep a hold of him for another year and get a massive fee for him, provided he doesn't sign an extension of course.

that's fair...some of that depends on if there is competition for his signature of course...which i expect there will be..

Tornadoes70
09-08-2017, 04:29 PM
Keeping to the thread I'd love to have seen how Flyer could have thrived with a modern day beast of a midfielder like John McGinn. SJM could have been a Tornado without question.

He'd certainly be in my squad of all time greatest Hibernian players as he was an integral key player in bringing back the Holy Grail, so would Nijinsky. Both Hibernian legends.

Hibeewilly
09-08-2017, 04:32 PM
It depends on who's buying.

If you have a player who wants to play for the Sevco franchise then you find yourselves in deep trouble as they have little to no cash and are playground bullies. They know what they can get away with up here.

Walker also has no International experience.

If you have a crowd of suitors from down South bidding to get hold of a current Internationalist then you have an entirely different situation, even if they do only have a year left on their contract.

McGinn won't sign another contract - why should he? We should get a good year from him then a good fee when he goes. We won't get silly money, but making deals like this that are best for all parties will see us getting more McGinns in future.
I think he should sign an extension as it will increase his wages for a start and give our club security as regards his eventual transfer. Hibs have a track record of letting players take their chance elsewhere and McGinn and his agent will know that. I see it as a win win for both player and club plus John seems an extremely level headed guy who is grateful to Hibs for giving him his chance and loves playing for us

Hibbyradge
09-08-2017, 04:34 PM
i honestly don't care if he goes for nothing at the end of his deal..

I certainly don't think that will happen.

Firstly, and most obviously, Hibs will want money to reinvest.

But importantly, so will St Mirren.

If SJM was to walk for nothing, I would imagine that there will be a clause ensuring that St Mirren get their sell on fee. Whether that would have to come from the player or Hibs, or even both, I have no idea, but there will be other incentives to sell.

Does anyone know how sell-on clauses work in those circumstances?

Hibbyradge
09-08-2017, 04:36 PM
He'd certainly be in my squad of all time greatest Hibernian players as he was an integral key player in bringing back the Holy Grail, so would Nijinsky. Both Hibernian legends.

This is deserving of its own thread. :aok:

I'm off to create just that.

Smartie
09-08-2017, 04:38 PM
I think he should sign an extension as it will increase his wages for a start and give our club security as regards his eventual transfer. Hibs have a track record of letting players take their chance elsewhere and McGinn and his agent will know that. I see it as a win win for both player and club plus John seems an extremely level headed guy who is grateful to Hibs for giving him his chance and loves playing for us

Any raise that we give him will in modern football terms be buttons, and a longer contract (and larger transfer fee payable) might restrict his options in a year. That is his opportunity to earn the big bucks.

I think we should enjoy him while we have him and not get too worried about a contract extension that I think he would have little interest in.

And we shouldn't go offering him money we don't have either.

McGinn has suggested that he fancies trying his hand down South at some point. The best way he gets that chance is by playing out his skin for us this season (as he already seems to be doing) then moving on when he's ready.