PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Ayr - August 8th)

Jonnyboy
08-08-2017, 10:06 PM
Safely through to the quarter finals of the Bet Fred Cup, Hibs demolished Ayr United at Easter Road in front of a crowd roughly half the number of those in attendance on Saturday past. For whatever reasons and there’s a whole variety of them, many fans don’t seem inclined to attend these types of games and that’s a shame because they would have been entertained by a five goal romp that included a double from Stokes and a classic Efe Ambrose goal celebration! There was little surprise that Stokesy was named the sponsors man of the match but to my mind the best player on the park, by a country mile was John McGinn.
Ayr brought with them around 500 fans and to their credit they stayed behind their team even when they knew they were beaten. I speculated that there might be a few Jambos in the south stand and as my brother said, at least they’d get a seat there.

Credit also to Ian McCall’s Ayr United who looked a tidy team and they did try to play the game the correct way. Sadly for them, they faced a Hibs team that showed no quarter.

Neil Lennon made a few changes from the team that faced Partick but it was still a strong eleven and a good bench. No surprise really as Neil has made it perfectly clear that he’s taking the Bet Fred cup games seriously – he wants Hibs to win it. It was good to see David Gray and Darren McGregor back after having sat out the Partick game due to suspension. Good also to see young Ryan Porteous lining up in a back three.

In terms of my view on their performances:-

Rocky – little to do but had one hairy moment when he passed the ball straight to an Ayr player in the 18 yard box. I’ve no idea what was going through his mind

Efe – a couple of ‘Efe moments’ that might have been punished against stronger opposition but he took his goal well and his celebration is a sight to behold

Darren – solid as the castle rock and he simply breezed through the ninety minutes

Ryan – super prospect but needs to work on his positional sense. Was caught wrong side a couple of times but his positives far outweigh the negatives

David Gray – Up and down that wing all night he was like a man possessed whose crossing was excellent. I lost count of the number of times he ended up in the Ayr six yard box, playing the wing back roll to perfection

Dylan – always looking for the ball and is capable of the killer pass as well as the ones that ensure possession is retained. Good to see Dylan put in another 75 minutes without a hint of any fitness concerns

John McGinn – was outstanding tonight. His range of passing is phenomenal and his willingness to get his head down and run at defenders is a joy to watch. He is so strong with the ball at his feet and has that knack of getting away from his marker and making it look easy

Danny Swanson – I think Danny is trying too hard. He seemed to rush things tonight when there was no need and I look forward to him getting a goal as that might help him settle. Worryingly, on a couple of occasions, there was a negative reaction from the stands when things didn’t go quite right for him. Danny is a very clever player and I’m convinced we’ll see the best of him in the coming months

Lewis – Martin Boyle calls Lewis Mr Dependable and that’s exactly what the wee man is. Didn’t really put a foot wrong tonight and that is so much the norm from him we kinda take it for granted

Stokesy – I was surprised Stokes played the full ninety minutes tonight, given his lack of game time before he arrived at Easter Road. Showed some brilliant flashes of skill, worked his socks off and hit the net twice. God help opposing teams when Stokesy is up to full speed

Simon – another impressive display from Murray. Took his goal well and set up another which when added to his link up play and non-stop running ensured a productive 65 minutes

Boyler – came off the bench to great acclaim as he’s cemented himself as a favourite and justifiably so. Caused all sorts of bother for the Ayr defenders and his tireless efforts helped Hibs claim another couple of goals

Slivka – replaced Swanson and I will tell you this for free, we’ve got a cracking player in this lad. Looks very composed on the ball, tackles well and gets up in support when we attack. I was impressed with his effort at goal when others players might have snatched at the chance he cleverly steered the ball through his markers legs but just wide of the post

Big Dave – I’ve still not seen enough of the big fella to form an opinion but he was in the right place at the right time to notch his first goal for the club

The fans – well done to all that attended. We certainly got our money’s worth

Pedantic_Hibee
08-08-2017, 10:18 PM
Excellent summary again, Jonnyboy. Agree with all your points, especially on McGinn's range of passing.

Argylehibby
08-08-2017, 10:19 PM
Couldn't disagree with a word of that. Stokes pass for Murrays goal was superb and good to see Murray return the favour later on. Those two already look like they will work well together.

hibee_girl
08-08-2017, 10:21 PM
Totally agree with your summary of McGinn tonight, he was by far the MOTM but there was obviously no chance he was getting it once Stokes had scored twice :greengrin

Borderhibbie76
08-08-2017, 10:22 PM
Another excellent summary and I agree ...especially.on Swanson is deffo trying too hard and badly needs a goal. Hopefully Hunbrox on Sat Danny

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
08-08-2017, 10:23 PM
Another marvellous summation Jonny.
But, aw, help, Efe needs a boot up his beautifully ball playing erse.

Smartie
08-08-2017, 10:26 PM
Pretty much exactly how I saw it - spot on on all fronts.

The only bit I would take issue with is the reaction to Danny Swanson. It was also mentioned on the match day thread that there was a bit of a reaction to him losing the ball. I honestly didn't pick up on any of this where I was, I didn't hear any sort of booing. There was a very mild groan from one or two which happens to any Hibs player any time they happen to lose the ball.

Danny also got a great ovation as he was substituted.

I totally agree that he looks like he is trying too hard and needs to calm down a bit. For all he's lost the ball a few times, he picks up superb positions just off the strikers and when he settles down a bit, shows a wee bit of composure and forms a better understanding with our strikers, he will be a very dangerous player for us.

calumhibee1
08-08-2017, 10:31 PM
We are going to hand out quite a few absolute skelpings this season.

Sir David Gray
08-08-2017, 10:41 PM
Totally agree about McGinn, how he didn't get man of the match tonight, I will never know.

He was outstanding.

I also agree about Swanson. For whatever reason, things haven't really clicked for him yet. Hopefully something positive comes off for him soon and that helps him settle down. He could perhaps do with a week or two out of the limelight.

I trust Lennon to do the right thing by him and the team.

I was very impressed by the team's workrate and willingness to get forward, even in the latter stages of the match.

I'm so looking forward to the rest of the season. I think we could do very good things.

B.H.F.C
08-08-2017, 10:48 PM

The only bit I would take issue with is the reaction to Danny Swanson. It was also mentioned on the match day thread that there was a bit of a reaction to him losing the ball. I honestly didn't pick up on any of this where I was, I didn't hear any sort of booing. There was a very mild groan from one or two which happens to any Hibs player any time they happen to lose the ball.

I totally agree that he looks like he is trying too hard and needs to calm down a bit. For all he's lost the ball a few times, he picks up superb positions just off the strikers and when he settles down a bit, shows a wee bit of composure and forms a better understanding with our strikers, he will be a very dangerous player for us.

Definitely didn't pick up any booing of Swanson. It just didn't happen. There were a few grumbles, myself included. He had a 5 or 10 minute spell in the first half where absolutely everything he tried to do went wrong. So much so that I'm sure Lennon pulled him over to have a word just after the second goal.

I think everybody is desperate for him to do well. And I think in time he will.

hibby6270
08-08-2017, 10:48 PM
Your summing up pretty much spot on.

Rocky - trying to "get into the game" made him fluff a few passes/clearances but excellent save in the second half.

Danny S - still to convince me. Some nice touches but seems to have the ball taken off him too easily. May well be down to trying too much to impress. Just needs to settle down a play the simple game.

As I said in another thread, there's an evident ruthless streak emerging throughout the team. Long may it continue when the opposition is a bit stronger.

Smartie
08-08-2017, 10:50 PM
Totally agree about McGinn, how he didn't get man of the match tonight, I will never know.

He was outstanding.

I also agree about Swanson. For whatever reason, things haven't really clicked for him yet. Hopefully something positive comes off for him soon and that helps him settle down. He could perhaps do with a week or two out of the limelight.

I was very impressed by the team's workrate and willingness to get forward, even in the latter stages of the match.

I'm so looking forward to the rest of the season. I think we could do very good things.

That's exactly how I'm feeling at the moment.

I just can't wait for the games to keep coming and I'm gutted to be missing out on Saturday.

It's important not to get carried away and acknowledge that we've been playing some weaker teams, but there is so much to be optimistic about it is unbelievable.

I thought we were fantastic tonight. I don't even think Ayr were a bad side, I think they'll win their league. We blew them away by being excellent, all over the park, and our substitutes all made a significant impact when they went on.

Good times.

Jonnyboy
08-08-2017, 10:58 PM

Definitely didn't pick up any booing of Swanson. It just didn't happen. There were a few grumbles, myself included. He had a 5 or 10 minute spell in the first half where absolutely everything he tried to do went wrong. So much so that I'm sure Lennon pulled him over to have a word just after the second goal.

I think everybody is desperate for him to do well. And I think in time he will.

Guys I never heard any booing either. Just a kinda grumble rumble but it was only on one or two odd occasions

Lancs Harp
08-08-2017, 11:00 PM
Jonny was there a good seagull turnout?

Jonnyboy
08-08-2017, 11:02 PM
Jonny was there a good seagull turnout?

Even they weren't tempted by the Bet Fred Cup :greengrin Very few in evidence tonight

The_Exile
08-08-2017, 11:10 PM
Even they weren't tempted by the Bet Fred Cup :greengrin Very few in evidence tonight

Bet they'll all want a ticket for the final though :greengrin

Re McGinn, I felt he could've imposed himself a wee bit more on Saturday although he played well, but he was absolutely stellar tonight. Great team effort and cracking performance so early in the season, we look really fit and in great shape. Roll on Saturday!

snooky
08-08-2017, 11:13 PM

He was outstanding.

Apart from the obvious increase in general standard and class of players we have now, the work rate has been upped considerably. The lethargy by some of the players through the dark ages was a major part in our continuing failures.
A working, class team is what we have now (excuse the pun :wink: )

greenlex
09-08-2017, 12:14 AM
Exactly as I saw it John. Superb again.

Bay Area Hibees
09-08-2017, 04:02 AM
Great report. Reading it in San Francisco fog.
Slivka, could be surprise of season? Starter and strong player for Lithuania who let's be honest are similar to Scotland, potential to be great signing. And has countryman to help feel at home. Wee touch of zemmama and benji.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-08-2017, 05:45 AM
I think we are at risk of talking Swanson into a problem.

Hes been good so far, set up two goals on saturday with excellent pieces of skill, and has been good in the other games ive seen. Wasnt there last night, but its almost as if, with everyone starting so well we need to have a negative somewhere.

Swanson has started well imo, and he is the type of player i love watching.

blackpoolhibs
09-08-2017, 06:14 AM
I think we need to realise that Swanson is the one player who will be trying to unlock the opposition's defense more than any other player we have and will lose the ball more than any of the others.

The other players are trying to make space for his passes with their movement and square passes, and the forwards with their runs are just going to be marked more closely, and won't win the balls from him all the time, in fact they won't win it most of the time an incisive ball is played towards the opposition's goal.

If it was that easy, we'd be scoring the perfect goals all the time.

Let's get behind ALL the players, we just might be onto something special with this team and management, encouragement when things are going wrong will surely help them get it right the next time.

PS great summary John, and another observation I think is better than previous seasons, is we don't seem so greedy in front of goal, it seems if someone is in a better position to score a goal, those in possession are happy to give the easy pass rather than snatch at a shot from a position they will probably not score from.

Craig_in_Prague
09-08-2017, 06:26 AM
Couldn't watch the game last night with family haven arrived here, but just watched the 10 minute highlights on Hibs TV - and boy, we look dynamite.
Were Ayr bad too, or did we just steamroller them?

Some squad! We're in for a seriously cracking season!

Thanks again to Jonnyboy as well !

hibee_girl
09-08-2017, 06:37 AM
Couldn't watch the game last night with family haven arrived here, but just watched the 10 minute highlights on Hibs TV - and boy, we look dynamite.

I didn't think Ayr were too bad last night, they had a few chances. We were just too good for them.

JimBHibees
09-08-2017, 06:39 AM

Ayr were half decent but we were just too good for them a hugely impressive performance. Squad looks strong Slivka looks a quality signing also.

Robinho08
09-08-2017, 06:43 AM
Really enjoy reading these, keep em coming!

Hopefully Swanson will get a goal against the Huns and that'll set him up nicely for the rest of the season.

Borderhibbie76
09-08-2017, 07:14 AM
Guys I never heard any booing either. Just a kinda grumble rumble but it was only on one or two odd occasionsDeffo no booing and he got a standing ovation when he was subbed. Think everyone recognises he is just a bit over anxious and trying too hard to make things happen

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Isaac_Refvik
09-08-2017, 07:15 AM
I think we are at risk of talking Swanson into a problem.

Hes been good so far, set up two goals on saturday with excellent pieces of skill, and has been good in the other games ive seen. Wasnt there last night, but its almost as if, with everyone starting so well we need to have a negative somewhere.

Swanson has started well imo, and he is the type of player i love watching.

This.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Craig_in_Prague
09-08-2017, 07:16 AM
Ayr were half decent but we were just too good for them a hugely impressive performance. Squad looks strong Slivka looks a quality signing also.

Yes, the bench each week now is incredible.

We could probably have 2x 11's that would finish top 5 in SPL.

Early days, hard not to get carried away, but got a feeling about this season!

calumhibee1
09-08-2017, 07:41 AM

You must have left early, there was hundreds of them in the east at FT.. part timer!

renato
09-08-2017, 09:55 AM
Good summary.

Tin hat on (and I know it's early days still) but we're a far better team now with Murray up front as opposed to Cummings. His movement is night and day and all of a sudden we can stretch teams, we're seeing so many incisive passes, loads of variety to our play, much higher tempo and midfielders not scared to play a pass too, knowing Murray will make the run...

The best bit is that we'll be even better once Tony gets up to speed!

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-08-2017, 11:31 AM
Good summary.

Tin hat on (and I know it's early days still) but we're a far better team now with Murray up front as opposed to Cummings. His movement is night and day and all of a sudden we can stretch teams, we're seeing so many incisive passes, loads of variety to our play, much higher tempo and midfielders not scared to play a pass too, knowing Murray will make the run...

The best bit is that we'll be even better once Tony gets up to speed!

Agree with this. Cummings couldnt, or wouldnt do what Murray does. If Murray isnt scoring, hes still doing loads for the team.

Cummings will always be a legend, but his goals in big games bought him a lot of indulgence for fhe fairly big gaps in his game imo.

But Murray is a good bit older than Cummings, so he has time to learn.

3pm
09-08-2017, 11:36 AM
I think we need to realise that Swanson is the one player who will be trying to unlock the opposition's defense more than any other player we have and will lose the ball more than any of the others.

The other players are trying to make space for his passes with their movement and square passes, and the forwards with their runs are just going to be marked more closely, and won't win the balls from him all the time, in fact they won't win it most of the time an incisive ball is played towards the opposition's goal.

If it was that easy, we'd be scoring the perfect goals all the time.

Let's get behind ALL the players, we just might be onto something special with this team and management, encouragement when things are going wrong will surely help them get it right the next time.

PS great summary John, and another observation I think is better than previous seasons, is we don't seem so greedy in front of goal, it seems if someone is in a better position to score a goal, those in possession are happy to give the easy pass rather than snatch at a shot from a position they will probably not score from.

Made that very point to my Dad last night.

oldbutdim
09-08-2017, 11:43 AM
It’s quite noticeable the number of folk commenting on Squirrels improved crossing, and the same has been said of Lewis and Sir David to a lesser extent.
I never had a problem with Squirrels ability to play decent balls into the box, and felt that the ‘problem’ was Holty standing still, Jason being surrounded by defenders and no other Hibs player within a hundred yards of the box………………
Now that we have eager midfielders and pacey frontmen making decent and intelligent runs suddenly the quality of the ball into the box has dramatically improved!!

Coincidence?

I think not.