PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings

Humo
08-08-2017, 09:16 PM
Rocky - 7 Had nothing to do but everything he had to do he did it well. Distribution was fine.

Stevenson - 6 Up and down well all night and gave it his all. Mr Dependable

Porteous - 6 Strolled it. Can sometimes wander out too much with the ball but good to see he's not just hoofing it whenever he gets it.

McGregor - 8 Hard to find a fault with that performance.

Efe - 8 Would of probably given a 7 if it weren't for the goal and backflip, just seems to switch off or try to be too clever at times.

Gray - 6 Good solid performance but I just feel Whittaker offers more in attack.

Mcginn - 8 Ran the midfield

McGeouch - 8 Same as mcginn

Swanson - 7 Seems to be trying too hard at times but you can really tell there's a class player in there and I think he just needs to ease into it. Rich man's Paul Cainrey

Murray - 8 Seems we've unearthed a real gem here. Still rough round the edges but it's hard to fault him for any of his game.

Stokes - 9 Welcome home and what a start! Only criticism is that he was desperate for that hat trick and stopped him playing in players at times and being a bit too greedy but at 3+ up you can't really complain!

Subs

Slivak? Apologies if spelt wrong. You can tell he's a real player but needs more time to get up to speed in Scotland. Wasn't afraid to have a shot and it almost paid off.

Boyle. Terrified a tired defence and created some real chances for the team

Big Dave. Gives us a different option up front. Was unlucky not to score 2 so doesn't seem like he's not got goals in him

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RoYO!
08-08-2017, 09:33 PM
Quite like Dave's 'dive' in the box when there were no players close to him. Just wasn't expecting such a class, no-look, thru ball from stokes! No nonsense finish from him for the goal- just seemed to think- head down and smash this!

ehf
08-08-2017, 09:41 PM
Quite like Dave's 'dive' in the box when there were no players close to him. Just wasn't expecting such a class, no-look, thru ball from stokes! No nonsense finish from him for the goal- just seemed to think- head down and smash this!

Clear penalty!

Was very impressed with Slivka; looks to have real quality.

MichaelTheCelt
08-08-2017, 09:46 PM
How did Stokes look (match fitness wise)? I know he scored but do you think he'd be ready to start the game at Ibrox?

Pedantic_Hibee
08-08-2017, 09:48 PM
How did Stokes look (match fitness wise)? I know he scored but do you think he'd be ready to start the game at Ibrox?

Seemed ok fitness wise. Oozes class however, his link up play, intelligence and ability to make a killer pass is a level above most others in this country.

Diclonius
08-08-2017, 09:49 PM
Great team performance, McGinn MOTM for me. Swap Porteous for Hanlon (possibly Bartley for Swanson) and that should be the team on Saturday.

MichaelTheCelt
08-08-2017, 09:50 PM
Seemed ok fitness wise. Oozes class however, his link up play, intelligence and ability to make a killer pass is a level above most others in this country.

Aye I was thinking even if he is off the pace a little he still has it in his locker to split that Rangers defence wide open.

08-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Can't be bothered going through everyone but heres a few points from tonight:

Rocky - Only recall him making 1 save tonight. Very quiet night for him

Stevenson once again worked his arse off making the runs down the left hand side.

Ambrose - A couple of shaky moments but otherwise strong and composed with the ball at his feet. Delighted to see him get on the score sheet

McGreagor - solid as always, won everything in the air

Sir David - Got on the end of a couple of long range McGinn passes and put in some decent crosses. Good game from him, a little quieter the second half but didn't do anything wrong.

SJM was outstanding tonight, my MOTM. Strong player who can fend off 2 or 3 players at a time. Got a fantastic eye for a long range pass, a couple in particular that I recall he made to David Gray over on the far side for him to make a run were superb.

Simon Murray once again chased down absolutely everything. His work rate is top class and he's fair raking up the goals! Think he will link up well with Stokes. Creates space, pressures defenders and doesn't give them any time or space which we've seen the last couple of games forces them to make errors. Had a few doubters but he's looking like a great signing.

Boyle came on and injected absolutely frightening pace, that must be an absolute nightmare for tired defenders.

Porteous looks a very promising young player, very exciting to see him develop. Got a good build, hopefully getting the chance to play along side the like of McGreagor, Ambrose and Hanlon will be good experience for him and a good learning opportunity.

All round very good performance from everyone. Won with ease and went about our business in a clinical and proffesional manner. Gives Lennon a big headache over deciding his starting 11 for ibrox.

Brightside
08-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Rocky - 7 Had nothing to do but everything he had to do he did it well. Distribution was fine.

Porteous - 6 Strolled it. Can sometimes wander out too much with the ball but good to see he's not just hoofing it whenever he gets it.

Efe - 8 Would of probably given a 7 if it weren't for the goal and backflip, just seems to switch off or try to be too clever at times.

Gray - 6 Good solid performance but I just feel Whittaker offers more in attack.

Swanson - 7 Seems to be trying too hard at times but you can really tell there's a class player in there and I think he just needs to ease into it. Rich man's Paul Cainrey

Murray - 8 Seems we've unearthed a real gem here. Still rough round the edges but it's hard to fault him for any of his game.

Stokes - 9 Welcome home and what a start! Only criticism is that he was desperate for that hat trick and stopped him playing in players at times and being a bit too greedy but at 3+ up you can't really complain!

Subs

Slivak? Apologies if spelt wrong. You can tell he's a real player but needs more time to get up to speed in Scotland. Wasn't afraid to have a shot and it almost paid off.

Big Dave. Gives us a different option up front. Was unlucky not to score 2 so doesn't seem like he's not got goals in him

How on earth can you give Efe an 8. Our weakest defender tonight.

yonder1875
08-08-2017, 09:56 PM
Clear penalty!

Was very impressed with Slivka; looks to have real quality.

Agreed, he looks a player. Tough job getting into our midfield, though.

John McGinn was bloody superb tonight.

patlowe
08-08-2017, 10:03 PM

Subs

Pretty much spot on but would say Stevenson deserved more than a 6 and McGeouch possibly slightly less than an 8.

Won't go through the team but some thoughts:

Defence - incredible depth now when you consider we played with 3 centre halfs and still have Hanlon and Fontaine sitting it out. Porteous is so composed for his age, easily the best defensive prospect since Hanlon.

McGinn - scarily good right now. Let's just hope there aren't any cheeky bids lurking before the window closes.

Swanson - not always clicking for him but he has that instinct for finding great pockets of space and the other guys in midfield have the quality to find him. Really adds an extra dimension to our play.

Stokes - clearly hasn't lost the quality and now has a serious claim to start on Saturday. Who sits out though?

Slivka - absolutely strolled it when he came on and has clearly got quality. May have to bide his time to become a regular but promises to be another great signing.

All in all a really enjoyable watch and lots of positives.

S4uzee
08-08-2017, 10:05 PM
Efe worries me for Saturday with Millers movement and I wouldn't be surprised to see him try something dodgy with the ball at his feet

hibee_girl
08-08-2017, 10:07 PM
I'm Stevenson's biggest fan but I thought he wasn't up to his usual high standards tonight, maybe I'm being harsh!

McGinn was my MOTM, he strolled it. Stokes wasn't far behind though, you can already see how good the partnership with Murray is going to be.

hibby6270
08-08-2017, 10:07 PM
Agree with most of the ratings given above - BUT -

"Rocky - 7 Had nothing to do but everything he had to do he did it well. Distribution was fine."

Don't agree with that. For some reason he played at times as though he had 2 left feet when trying to pass/clear the ball. Against better opposition we could have been punished.

Not saying it would have affected result tonight but in a tighter game could have been crucial. On the plus side, he did have a really good save in second half which did show he's a classy keeper.

Could be Ayr Utd of course. Remember faux pas that led to their first goal last September. At least we don't need to play them again.:greengrin

Humo
08-08-2017, 10:08 PM
How on earth can you give Efe an 8. Our weakest defender tonight.Not gonna lie mainly because of the backflip haha

heretoday
08-08-2017, 10:10 PM
Mcginn was very good. I thought Gray and Stevenson were excellent. Ayr got nowhere down the flanks. Simon Murray's front running is first rate.

On the down side I wish Swanson would stop and look about. He tries too hard! And Ambrose. Just clear it up the park, mate.

gaz1875
08-08-2017, 10:10 PM
The range of passing tonight from SJM was quite magnificent, all round team performance dominant, although at times we are so attack minded the defence just sometimes gets a little out of position.

Pedantic_Hibee
08-08-2017, 10:11 PM
Was Slivka a two year deal?

hibee_girl
08-08-2017, 10:11 PM
Was Slivka a two year deal?

3 years

gaz1875
08-08-2017, 10:12 PM
I'm Stevenson's biggest fan but I thought he wasn't up to his usual high standards tonight, maybe I'm being harsh!

McGinn was my MOTM, he strolled it. Stokes wasn't far behind though, you can already see how good the partnership with Murray is going to be.

Funny I thought he played really well today (and Saturday), fantastic block first half :flag:

Pedantic_Hibee
08-08-2017, 10:14 PM
3 years

Excellent news. He's a player.

Smartie
08-08-2017, 10:19 PM
Funny I thought he played really well today (and Saturday), fantastic block first half :flag:

So did I.

I can't really remember him putting a foot wrong.

Solid defensively and we were always a threat down his side, especially in the second half.

I thought he was brilliant.

hibee_girl
08-08-2017, 10:20 PM

So did I.

I can't really remember him putting a foot wrong.

Solid defensively and we were always a threat down his side, especially in the second half.

I thought he was brilliant.

Like I said I'm probably being harsh. I'm not saying he was awful, just not as good as Saturday.

Jonnyboy
08-08-2017, 10:23 PM
Like I said I'm probably being harsh. I'm not saying he was awful, just not as good as Saturday.

N, harsh is giving Rocky a 7 for doing nothing and a 6 each to Lewis and SDG when they both worked their erses off :greengrin

Borderhibbie76
08-08-2017, 10:40 PM

Subs

Sent from my SM-G935F using TapatalkCan't for the life of me understand Gray only getting a 6...bombed forward all night and put in some.excellent crosses. Apart from that good summary tho [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
08-08-2017, 10:47 PM

Subs

Ambrose wasn't an 8/10 and Swanson wasn't a 7/10.

wookie70
08-08-2017, 10:53 PM
Rocky - 6 Not much too do but a big slack with a couple of passes

Stevenson - 7 Looks even better on the ball and some good interplay down the left. Defended excellently as usual

Porteous - 7 Not as good as his previous games but he looks ready to be a first team player.

McGregor - 8 Pick of the defenders never put a foot wrong

Efe - 7 Extra point for the goal. Efe is a 9 or 10 for around 88 minutes of a game. Unfortunately those other 2 minutes may cost us a goal against better opposition. Brilliant for almost the whole game tonight but switched off a couple of times and a couple of very poor passes.

Gray - 6 Did well enough but Whittaker looks a better option in that formation

Mcginn - 8 Has been excellent this year and was superb again. Playing so well this will be his last year in a Hibs jersey

McGeouch - 6 Tidy enough but he wasn't himself tonight and fell completely out of the game after an hour

Swanson - 6 Trying too hard but even though he was caught in possession a good few times and misplaced passes he still got an assist and worked very well in getting the ball back. His time will come

Murray - 7 Thought he wasn't quite as energetic tonight but still chased everything and there were signs that a very good partnership could be forming

Stokes - 8 Thought he started the game very poorly but he kicked into life after about 10 minutes and played very well. Some invincible passes with the pick a blind pass that wrong footed Big Dave. Very good finish for the second

Subs

Slivak? Hard to tell as Ayr were pretty much done when he came on but some great passes and looked very assured on the ball

Boyle. Again came on when the game was won. Surprised he never scored as he looked a bundle of energy and we looked dangerous when he got involved.

Big Dave. He doesn't look a player to me on first impressions but he did his job with the goal and could have had another. Hopefully he finds his feet quickly

NAE NOOKIE
08-08-2017, 11:35 PM
Rocky .... 6 ....... Had very little to do, but seemed solid enough when he did.

Gray ..... 7 ..... Got up and down very well and was comfortable in defence.

Ambrose .... 6 ..... Defended well enough when called upon and scored a goal, but as he did against Partick Thistle there was a couple of times he played himself into trouble when there was no need to, if he does that at Ibrox we will get punished, which is why if we do play with 4 at the back there it will be Hanlon and McGregor for me.

McGregor .... 7 .... Won just about everything that came his way.

Porteous ..... 6 ..... Did well enough and didn't look out of place, but he had a spell in the 2nd half where poor passing gave the ball away more than once, you can see he is one for the future though.

Stevenson ..... 7 ..... Like Gray got up and down the wing all night and hardly put a foot wrong, good start to the season from him.

McGeouch ..... 7 ...... Had a few decent spells in the game and didn't do anything wrong, a wee bit off compared to Saturday but still good.

Swanson ..... 6 ..... IMO has still to make the impact I hoped he would, just not as prominent in games as I thought he would be, perhaps trying too hard.

McGinn .... 9 ...... Absolutely ran the game, some of his runs with the ball and long range passing were a joy to watch, if he can replicate his game tonight at Ibrox he will dominate ..... man of the match by a mile.

Murray ..... 7 ...... Another great display of energy and hard work, its almost becoming an event when he doesn't score, long may it continue.

Stokes .... 8 ..... Scored twice, did some good stuff with the ball and played a world cup pass that unfortunately tied big Dave in knots lol.

Subs:

Slivka .... 6 .... Got more time tonight and did some really nice things, we could have a really good player on our hands.

Boyle ..... 6 .... Did Martin Boyle stuff in his usual style, what an improved player he is.

Dave ..... 6 ..... Nearly scored with a header and didn't mess about when he got his chance, battered it into the net. Looked a bit daft when Stokes pass wrong footed him, but then it wrong footed everybody.

Overall an extremely professional display by Hibs and at times the football was very enjoyable to watch .... worth the admission money :aok:

18Hibee75
08-08-2017, 11:49 PM
A few things I learned from tonight are:
- Slivka looks like a very decent signing, very composed on ball and looks like he has a few goals in him.
- Stokes and Murray could be a very good partnership for us this season, both assisted each other tonight.
- Ambrose is a very good defender, but switches off for a little bit and tries to be too clever and think too much. Wouldn't play him against rangers on Saturday.
- Swanson has class. Once he has got a couple of goals and is settled he could be one of our best players this season!
- McGinn is on fire. I'm confident he will be our best player this season and will be vital for us.
- Porteous is a future captain.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

mjhibby
08-08-2017, 11:50 PM
Agree with most of the ratings given above - BUT -

"Rocky - 7 Had nothing to do but everything he had to do he did it well. Distribution was fine."

Don't agree with that. For some reason he played at times as though he had 2 left feet when trying to pass/clear the ball. Against better opposition we could have been punished.

Not saying it would have affected result tonight but in a tighter game could have been crucial. On the plus side, he did have a really good save in second half which did show he's a classy keeper.

Could be Ayr Utd of course. Remember faux pas that led to their first goal last September. At least we don't need to play them again.:greengrin

Rocky was injured in the run up to ayrs first goal. Defence seems a lot more composed with him there although laidlaw is a very good back up.

Forza Fred
09-08-2017, 12:06 AM
to me it was a night when all played well.
McGinn seems to be playing with more determination and probably shaded my MOTM
Swanson in midfield gives us much more drive than Fyvie..different types of players I know, but we seem to go forward a lot quicker than last year so far.

Tyler Durden
09-08-2017, 05:49 AM
Couldn't make the game last night. Sounds like Swanson didn't have his best night but I think the talk about trying too hard or not yet making an impact is a bit OTT..... Let's not forget he had 2 fantastic assists on Saturday!

jax67
09-08-2017, 06:14 AM
Very impressed with the two footed Slivka.
Professional performance from Hibs, everyone
played well.

WeeRussell
09-08-2017, 07:47 AM
Couldn't make the game last night. Sounds like Swanson didn't have his best night but I think the talk about trying too hard or not yet making an impact is a bit OTT..... Let's not forget he had 2 fantastic assists on Saturday!

I think people are going over the top, full stop. Although I don't have Saturday's performance to compare to.

He looks sharp, and I'm convinced we should go with the same top 2, with Swanson in behind on Saturday. They'll cause the Huns all sorts of bother.

WeeRussell
09-08-2017, 07:51 AM

Subs

I actually said the opposite of stokes last night, in that I thought there were times where it opened up and he had every right to have a dig for his hat trick, but opted to play others in. Doesn't matter anyway, as we're agreed that he was brilliant!

Winston Ingram
09-08-2017, 08:34 AM
How on earth can you give Efe an 8. Our weakest defender tonight.

This. Bar his goal he was back to his later Celtic form. Lost count of how many times he gave the ball away.