PDA

View Full Version : Terry Venables is a Hibee

RamblingJack
08-08-2017, 09:21 AM

Got him to sign an old shirt at the weekend.Lovely guy.

brog
08-08-2017, 09:32 AM

There is actually a tenuous Hibs connection. Terry "wrote" his books ( & the Hazell TV series ) with a Scottish author called Gordon Williams, he wrote the book which became Straw Dogs. Although Gordon's from Paisley I read somewhere that his earliest football memories were of the Famous 5 & IIRC he pays tribute to the FF in his book, "They Used To Play On Grass". As for Tel, great guy as you say, excellent footballer but a complete ( loveable ) rogue!

Tinribs
08-08-2017, 09:45 AM

El Tel looking fit there, seems to have lost some of the paella weight.

RamblingJack
08-08-2017, 09:45 AM
I spent the weekend at his place,like you say he is a loveable rogue.

CockneyRebel
08-08-2017, 09:56 AM
There is actually a tenuous Hibs connection. Terry "wrote" his books ( & the Hazell TV series ) with a Scottish author called Gordon Williams, he wrote the book which became Straw Dogs. Although Gordon's from Paisley I read somewhere that his earliest football memories were of the Famous 5 & IIRC he pays tribute to the FF in his book, "They Used To Play On Grass". As for Tel, great guy as you say, excellent footballer but a complete ( loveable ) rogue!

Unless you're a Palace supporter - he's as welcome there as a fart in a space suit.

Jim44
08-08-2017, 10:59 AM
I remember a headline in a newspaper many moons ago and thought it was quite clever at the time.

'Terry Venable's job is not very tenable.' :greengrin

lord bunberry
08-08-2017, 11:20 AM
[/B]

Unless you're a Palace supporter - he's as welcome there as a fart in a space suit.
Did he not almost won the league with palace?

James70
08-08-2017, 11:21 AM
I can remember back in the mid/late 1980s Hibs didn't have a proper striker to their name then they signed Gareth Evans from Rotherham. IIRC he made his debut against Dundee and scored. Terry Venables was manager of Spurs at the time and was on a spying mission at the game. At the end of the game he was quoted as wondering why none of his own scouts had spotted Evans.

Forza Fred
09-08-2017, 12:17 AM
former coach of Australia...things didn't work out too well for him in the World Cup.

heretoday
09-08-2017, 12:36 PM
El Tel is OK. One of the old school Ron Managers.

CockneyRebel
09-08-2017, 05:16 PM
Did he not almost won the league with palace?

No - they led for a bit. (he got them promoted as the "team of the 80s") but then fell away. Then he followed the cash to QPR. He came back a few years later, screwing a big wad of cash from the Chairman to save them and then did a runner again. More to it than that but would take too long to explain - you had to be an Eagle to fully appreciate his ducking a diving - loveable rogue my erse!

His saving grace with many is that he did a pretty good job as England manager so still a bit of shine on his CV,

Firestarter
09-08-2017, 05:19 PM
Terry Vegetables was always going to support The Cabbage.

brog
09-08-2017, 08:08 PM
[/B]

I live in Palace territory & all my Palace supporting friends are still big fans of Tel. I don't understand it, a bit like the Boris syndrome, we know he's an idiot & a crook but I'm still voting for him.