PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Ibrox Pub

Frazerbob
08-08-2017, 09:17 AM
My crowd we're planning a few pints in Alfredos then risking life and limb on the Clockwork Orange to the game but one of the guys spotted the following on Facebook.....

'The Tall Cranes Pub, 10-12 craigton road Glasgow, g51 3TB place to go Saturday it's a Celtic pub 5 minutes from Ibrox, they always come to the Hibs club when we play Celtic, spoke to the pub their really friendly! looking forward to it.'

Anyone been here before?

Killiehibbie
08-08-2017, 09:23 AM
My crowd we're planning a few pints in Alfredos then risking life and limb on the Clockwork Orange to the game but one of the guys spotted the following on Facebook.....

'The Tall Cranes Pub, 10-12 craigton road Glasgow, g51 3TB place to go Saturday it's a Celtic pub 5 minutes from Ibrox, they always come to the Hibs club when we play Celtic, spoke to the pub their really friendly! looking forward to it.'

Anyone been here before?Opposite Turner Hire. Been in there and it was ok apart from the usual crap celtic patter.

SeanWilson
08-08-2017, 09:50 AM

Anyone been here before?
Any chance of it showing the game for the less fortunate? Have plans to be in Glasgow but was unlucky on the ticket front.

SChibs
08-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Sir John Moores just along from central is alright, it's a wetherspoons but not as busy as the one on George Square. Not chancing it in any normal pubs that hibs fans are associated with cause I think there will be huns out looking to cause trouble before the game.

Hibeewilly
08-08-2017, 01:25 PM
Its the one game I'll go straight through to and straight back to Edinburgh. Pints before I leave and when I get back - that'll do for me:agree:

Lancs Harp
09-08-2017, 01:05 PM
That 1690 Club from T2 looks a blast.

If I was going I'd head there.

jgl07
09-08-2017, 01:10 PM
I heard that a pub in Glasgow called the 'Louden Tavern' offers a special welcome to visiting supporters.

Hermit Crab
09-08-2017, 01:44 PM

Anyone been here before?

Celtic fans haven't been allowed in the Hibs club for years. :confused: The last time Celtic fans were in the Hibs club one of them punched a Hibs fan and it all kicked off.

Carheenlea
09-08-2017, 02:42 PM

'The Tall Cranes Pub, 10-12 craigton road Glasgow, g51 3TB place to go Saturday it's a Celtic pub 5 minutes from Ibrox, they always come to the Hibs club when we play Celtic, spoke to the pub theory really friendly! looking forward to it.'

Anyone been here before?

Sounds quite a fun place... :greengrin http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/5ft-barmaid-broke-up-glasgow-973706

Frazerbob
09-08-2017, 07:37 PM
Celtic fans haven't been allowed in the Hibs club for years. :confused: The last time Celtic fans were in the Hibs club one of them punched a Hibs fan and it all kicked off.

Not according the thread about the Hibs club the other day. Only Hearts & Sevco weren't allowed in until this season. Celtic & Aberdeen got the upstairs hall AFAIK.

Sylar
09-08-2017, 09:47 PM
If you're happy enough using the Subway, park around the Hillhead area (next to Glasgow Uni), and there are some really nice pubs there for a pre-match drink. Curlers Rest (right next to the station) or Brel (Belgian restaurant and bar, with a large outdoor beer garden just around the corner in Ashton Lane).

It's about 8 minutes on the CO to Ibrox from there.

marinello59
09-08-2017, 09:50 PM
If you're happy enough using the Subway, park around the Hillhead area (next to Glasgow Uni), and there are some really nice pubs there for a pre-match drink. Curlers Rest (right next to the station) or Brel (Belgian restaurant and bar, with a large outdoor beer garden just around the corner in Ashton Lane).

Curlers is still going? I thought it had disappeared under a cloud of hash smoke in the eighties.

Sylar
09-08-2017, 10:01 PM
Curlers is still going? I thought it had disappeared under a cloud of hash smoke in the eighties.

Yep - great little pub too! A little 'up market' I guess, but they have a good selection of beers on tap.

DH1875
10-08-2017, 07:19 AM
Yep - great little pub too! A little 'up market' I guess, but they have a good selection of beers on tap.

Is it not still a student bar? Had many a great night in there years ago, especially when they opened up upstairs at the weekends. Wasn't very up market though :greengrin

Sylar
10-08-2017, 07:38 AM
Is it not still a student bar? Had many a great night in there years ago, especially when they opened up upstairs at the weekends. Wasn't very up market though :greengrin

Nah - some students use it, but it's primarily university staff these days. Has a pretty good (but slightly pricy) restaurant attached to it now.

lyonhibs
10-08-2017, 11:04 AM
Curlers has been tarted up a decent bit since I started Uni, put it that way. Some fantastic bars + pubs in that neck of the woods

HibbyScott
10-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Curlers has been tarted up a decent bit since I started Uni, put it that way. Some fantastic bars + pubs in that neck of the woods

:agree: Curlers was definitely not upmarket when I was at Uni! :greengrin

Jinty McGinty's in Ashton Lane (just round the back of the Subway) is another good little pub. Or Tennents on the other side of the road

Colr
10-08-2017, 12:59 PM

Brel used to do great grilled mussels. Curlers Rest suffered from a takeover. There's an Irish bar up the lane which is OK if that's your thing.

Colr
10-08-2017, 01:00 PM

They turned it into one of those ***** "its a scream" places with the Edvard Munch picture on the sign.

Business model built around selling cheap shots to freshers.

Colr
10-08-2017, 01:02 PM
It will have changed but O' Henry's under the arches at Kelvin Bridge station was OK.

Sylar
10-08-2017, 01:40 PM
They turned it into one of those ***** "its a scream" places with the Edvard Munch picture on the sign.

Business model built around selling cheap shots to freshers.

Perhaps once upon a yesteryear, but they're certainly not their main clientele now.

Most academics and support staff use Curlers for drinks, as it's pretty unlikely you'll run into any of your students etc there.

I've used it a couple of times before heading down to Ibrox - it's a quieter, safer route on the Subway too, as most of the Rangers fans travel from the centre - very few of the proper horde seem to be based around the West End.

Colr
10-08-2017, 01:44 PM
Perhaps once upon a yesteryear, but they're certainly not their main clientele now.

Most academics and support staff use Curlers for drinks, as it's pretty unlikely you'll run into any of your students etc there.

I've used it a couple of times before heading down to Ibrox - it's a quieter, safer route on the Subway too, as most of the Rangers fans travel from the centre - very few of the proper horde seem to be based around the West End.

Back to what it used to be, then!!

I used to live in the West End. Its got a good atmosphere generally. More cosmopolitan or even Bohemian than most areas.

What's the place on the corner with Highburgh Road? That was a good old traditional pub.

Bishop Hibee
10-08-2017, 01:53 PM

Really? A Weegie pal runs the Eddie Duffy CSC from Bishopbriggs and they used the Pat Stanton suite up until we got relegated I'm sure. Was greetin' when I told him it was members only this season.

Sylar
10-08-2017, 01:54 PM
Back to what it used to be, then!!

I used to live in the West End. Its got a good atmosphere generally. More cosmopolitan or even Bohemian than most areas.

What's the place on the corner with Highburgh Road? That was a good old traditional pub.

That's Tennants :agree:

Colr
10-08-2017, 02:25 PM
That's Tennants :agree:

Oldly enough, it had a reputation as being a gay bar amongst the more lumpen of my work associates at the time.

I don't know if it genuinely was or whether it was just that men in the West End of Glasgow used deodorant - which equated to the same thing to them.

Nakedmanoncrack
10-08-2017, 05:59 PM

Not True, we haven't played Celtic at ER for years, but they were welcome in their until last time we Did, and will be again this season, unless it's a members only day.

Colr
10-08-2017, 06:35 PM
Not True, we haven't played Celtic at ER for years, but they were welcome in their until last time we Did, and will be again this season, unless it's a members only day.

Make sure they've used deodorant.

-Jonesy-
11-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Saw the man Lenny himself in tennents bar on byres road when i lived there 4/5 years ago.

GORDONSMITH7
12-08-2017, 12:01 AM
Really? A Weegie pal runs the Eddie Duffy CSC from Bishopbriggs and they used the Pat Stanton suite up until we got relegated I'm sure. Was greetin' when I told him it was members only this season.

Spot on. Never any bother from them. Through necessity not any other choice that they like others will not be cordially invited.

BIG G

Dinkydoo
12-08-2017, 12:28 AM
It will have changed but O' Henry's under the arches at Kelvin Bridge station was OK.I think that's called In Deep now. Great wee bar if so. Also has lots of tables under the archway usually that you can use if the weather is ***** but it was under some sort of construction a few weeks ago.
Curlers has been tarted up a decent bit since I started Uni, put it that way. Some fantastic bars + pubs in that neck of the woodsCurlers is a quality pub. Both floors fairly packed most weekends and its certainly not been a venue for folks getting smashed on cheap shots these past two years anyway.

Byers Rd is a great street for some beers if people want to venture out of the centre a bit but stay near the subway beforehand.

That's Tennants :agree:When I first moved here my Latvian pal got a picture with Neil Lennon in Tennants bar and he was so chuffed to meet "The man who beat Barcelona". NL looked ragin at the time as this foreign guy was asking for a photo whilst my other pal (hun) and myself were pissing ourselves (I wasn't a fan until he won me over as Hibs boss). Gutted looking back, could have had a wee photo with NL [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Liberal Hibby
12-08-2017, 01:17 AM
Glad to hear Tennents and Curlers are still going from my time at Jordanhill. But the original poster is right Byers Road drinks and the subway from Hillhead is a decent way to get to Ibrox.

Jim44
12-08-2017, 07:10 AM

For what it's worth, there was talk on FF about Sevco fans taking their first opportunity for 'revenge' and made special mention of the subway, so they may have plans to do something stupid there.Take care wherever you are today.