PDA

View Full Version : St Johnstone

Keith_M
08-08-2017, 09:13 AM
When discussing the season ahead, we've quite naturally considered how we're going to fare against the likes of Aberdeen, The Rangers, Hearts and Celtc, but I was just wondering what everybody's thoughts were about St Johnstone.

They finished fourth last season and, AFAIK, they still have the bulk of that team and what I consider to be a very good manager at the helm.

Thoughts?

Firestarter
08-08-2017, 09:16 AM
We got their best player and their older players are even older. They have it in them to finish 5th behind us though.

Smartie
08-08-2017, 09:19 AM
There are always teams that surprise in this league.

St Johnstone have often been that team, Motherwell have too.

Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and Dundee United have all underachieved at times.

I suspect that St Johnstone will do far better than Hearts this season.

SChibs
08-08-2017, 09:21 AM
I'll go against the grain a bit because I think they have been punching above their weight for a while and this will be the season they drop down a bit. I think they will finish 7th

Souter96Mac
08-08-2017, 09:23 AM
They are a decent side, but a lot of credit goes to Tommy Wright, I think he's drilled them into that team. Without him I think they would struggle. As said above, we've taken Swanson who'll be a big loss for them, as shown in their Europa exit where I believe they lacked creativity. We can't take them lightly though, they'll be tough.

Billy Whizz
08-08-2017, 09:26 AM
I'll go against the grain a bit because I think they have been punching above their weight for a while and this will be the season they drop down a bit. I think they will finish 7th

Will still be top 6

allezsauzee
08-08-2017, 09:26 AM
I think they should sign Brian Graham :wink:

Smartie
08-08-2017, 09:28 AM
O'Halloran should be a good signing for them, some goal he scored on Saturday.

I'm looking forward to going back to a game in Perth, good day out and it's been a while.

Keith_M
28-08-2017, 09:50 AM
Sooo, four games in and they've won 3 and held Celtc to a draw (no mean feat).

They've certainly impressed me so far and I think we'll really struggle to get a win up there.

NAE NOOKIE
28-08-2017, 10:50 AM
Sooo, four games in and they've won 3 and held Celtc to a draw (no mean feat).

They've certainly impressed me so far and I think we'll really struggle to get a win up there.

My opinion as well what a start they have made to the season, they are clearly nobodies mugs and it remains a mystery to me why Tommy Wright's name isn't in the frame for every job going below the level of the EPL .... I'm absolutely astonished that the Yams appear to have completely ignored him for their gig .... though I presume a lack of money for the compo required and Mr Wright being too intelligent to take a job where he would be Levin's puppet are both factors.

I see Murray Davidson was carried off at Parkhead, can their be an unluckier player in Scottish football .... a great pro, I wish him well :aok:

OsloHibs
28-08-2017, 11:20 AM
I seen them beat Rosenberg, and they were cracking that night. Very impressed with the way they were set up.

lucky
28-08-2017, 11:33 AM
My opinion as well what a start they have made to the season, they are clearly nobodies mugs and it remains a mystery to me why Tommy Wright's name isn't in the frame for every job going below the level of the EPL .... I'm absolutely astonished that the Yams appear to have completely ignored him for their gig .... though I presume a lack of money for the compo required and Mr Wright being too intelligent to take a job where he would be Levin's puppet are both factors.

I see Murray Davidson was carried off at Parkhead, can their be an unluckier player in Scottish football .... a great pro, I wish him well :aok:

Apparently Wright can't stand Harry Potter was never interested in going there. But successive managers have done well at St.Johnstone but never really done that well elsewhere and I include McInnes in that as he's only won 1 trophy with the Dons. So maybe clubs are put off with the records of others who managed well there

barcahibs
28-08-2017, 11:43 AM

There was a nice moment on open all mikes on Saturday where the presenters all agreed that hearts weren't a big enough club for him :)

where'stheslope
28-08-2017, 11:45 AM
This is what happens when a club is well run and not over stretching its budget.

Wright has pulled together a strong vibrant side with quite a bit of flair, tho' we got some of that.

When they won the Cup everyone was surprised at the time, yet if it happened now I don't think it would be any great surprise.

They can also be very niggley both at home and away, causing the other teams to react, and because of this I think all our games against them could be stuffy with hopefully us coming out on top.

Kavinho
28-08-2017, 11:58 AM
They are a side that's consistently under appreciated.

Peoples dismissiveness over over them not having staying power, or being a one season wonder helps them year after year after year. They'll have strong ambitions of being a top 4 side, and rightfully so.

SirDavidsNapper
28-08-2017, 12:51 PM
They've been a very stable club both on and off the park for a number of years. A point in Perth in our next game wouldn't be a bad result.

andybev1
28-08-2017, 05:01 PM
Generally speaking I think now that we are a few games in this match will show the true Hibs that we can expect for the coming season - especially with a fit boyle. I think St johnstone will be top six and we will finally show the form that will take us to second in the divsion.

emerald green
28-08-2017, 05:13 PM
St J are a very well organised team with some good players, including a couple of ex-Hibs players. Wotherspoon and Craig. Difficult team to beat, especially on their own pitch.

They get pretty poor attendances, caused to some extent by the fact that many locals support The Rangers. Perth also doesn't have a particularly large population catchment area.

Hibs will need to put in a very good all round team performance, and take their chances in front of goal, to get anything there.

Crazyhorse
28-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Generally speaking I think now that we are a few games in this match will show the true Hibs that we can expect for the coming season - especially with a fit boyle. I think St johnstone will be top six and we will finally show the form that will take us to second in the divsion.

I think Aberdeen are easily the 2nd best team at the moment and will probably finish there in the league. I can see them strengthening at Xmas. We will battle it out with St J and sevco for 3rd place I reckon. Hopefully we can pip them both.
The yams will continue to struggle even with the master tactician now in charge.

LNHibs
29-08-2017, 03:38 PM

I think 6 years in the top six in a row shown that they are no longer punching above their weight and i think its unfair to consider it that anymore. Regardless of the size of their club, on the football pitch they're one of the most consistant sides in the country and it has to be applauded. They will finish top 6, hopefully ahead of Hearts