PDA

View Full Version : How should we set up at Ibrox? Team/Formation

RossScott1991
07-08-2017, 10:42 AM
50,000 orcs baying for blood this weekend. What should our approach be? set up to frustrate? attack from the off? How should we set up away at ibrox? Mcgregor and Gray back from suspension. Do we go with the same 11 we had on Saturday? or do we change the system, Stokes on from the start?

Many things and options to consider this season to tinker with for certain opposition.

I reckon back 3 of ambrose, McGregor and hanlon. Whittaker & Stevenson operating as wingbacks may be best way to deal with what rangers throw at us, but means need to sacrifice abit of creativity. I just can't think who to leave our in midfield/attack as have soo many options. Boyle is on fire and his pace could be key on the counter. Just depends what think will get more joy against the huns, 3.5.2 gave us joy few times over recent seasons.

Good headache for Lennon to have!

DavidDavidGray
07-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Same team as last week but with McGregor replacing Efe imo, wouldn't risk Efe at Ibrox and McGregor with Hanlon is the more solid partnership. Ideally Stokes would start but it's who do you drop?

Danderhall Hibs
07-08-2017, 10:47 AM
I think it'll be 352, Saturdays team but Mcgregor in for Swanson.

JeMeSouviens
07-08-2017, 10:47 AM
Hope we're practising 10 men formations this week. :rolleyes:

Salt N Sauzee
07-08-2017, 10:48 AM
Rocky in goals and Tony Stokes outfield. That's all we'll need.

Since90+2
07-08-2017, 10:51 AM
Cant see Stokes starting. He has hardly kicked a ball this year and missed the whole of pre season so I reckon its going to take a few weeks for him to get up to speed.

Brightside
07-08-2017, 10:52 AM

Bartley sitting in front of our three Whits and Lewis out wide. Pick any two from SJM, Dylan, Swanny, Bob, Fraser.

Upfront Boyle and Murray - Stokes to come on after 60 mins.

frazeHFC
07-08-2017, 10:54 AM

Bartley sitting in front of our three Whits and Lewis out wide. Pick any two from SJM, Dylan, Swanny, Bob, Fraser.

This with McGinn and McGeoch as the two other midfielders.

Keith_M
07-08-2017, 10:54 AM
I think we should go for an innovative formation of...

1-3-2-3-2

High-On-Hibs
07-08-2017, 10:56 AM
Reckon we'll be pretty compact, at least to begin with. But formation may be tweeked at some point in the match.

............................Marciano.............. .............
....Whittaker....Ambrose....Gray....Stevenson....
....McGeouch....Bartley....McGinn....Swanson....
.......................................Boyle...... ..............
.............................Murray............... .............

Subs: Laidlaw, Hanlon, Porteous, Fontaine, Slivka, Matulevicius, Stokes

High-On-Hibs
07-08-2017, 10:58 AM

1-3-2-3-2

Not sure we'll get away with 12 players on the park. More likely to be up against 12.

SChibs
07-08-2017, 11:00 AM
Reckon we'll be pretty compact, at least to begin with. But formation may be tweeked at some point in the match.

............................Marciano.............. .............
....Whittaker....Ambrose....Gray....Stevenson....
....McGeouch....Bartley....McGinn....Swanson....
.......................................Boyle...... ..............
.............................Murray............... .............

Subs: Laidlaw, Hanlon, Porteous, Fontaine, Slivka, Matulevicius, Stokes

Gray at cb and no macgregor?

JimBHibees
07-08-2017, 11:02 AM

Will be the team I think with SJM and Dylan. Good options from the bench.

High-On-Hibs
07-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Gray at cb and no macgregor?

Is he available? If so, then it may well be McGregor. We're not exactly short for options at CB.

RossScott1991
07-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Im relaxed about Saturday. Think winning first game at easter road has made us be in position we have points on the board and with winnable game next again week home to Hamilton means we can have a good go on Saturday. I'd have hated to be going to ibrox with 0 points with pressure to get points on the board early.

Reckon Stokes will play against Ayr get minutes on his fitness. Reckon lenny will start him v huns. Big game. Big game player. We need guys who are 100% though is the worry, as it will be frantic.

Mr_F
07-08-2017, 11:08 AM
Rocky

Daz Efe Hanlon

SDG SJM Marv DMc Whitty

Murray Stokes

jacomo
07-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Sevco seem to have pace and trickery out wide.

I'd go 4-3-3 as on Saturday but with big Daz in for Efe.

Let our full backs keep our shape. Boyle and Swanson to provide width and Simon Murray up top.

Sevco are no great shakes defensively.

07-08-2017, 11:10 AM
Cant see Stokes starting. He has hardly kicked a ball this year and missed the whole of pre season so I reckon its going to take a few weeks for him to get up to speed.

If we start Stokes tomorrow and see how he gets on. If we get an hour or so out of him and he does okay I don't see why he can't start on Saturday, 4 days rest in between is perfect. He's a big game player and I imagine he'll be gagging to get in about them.

Not In The Know
07-08-2017, 11:11 AM
yep 3-5-2 with Daz in for Effe. I would have Effe in most weeks but its no coincidence that since we spilt up Daz and Paul the defence leaked more goals.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-08-2017, 11:12 AM
Best chance on Saturday is to get down the flanks as often as possible. Hopefully we are practing set pieces if we can draw a few free kicks.

yerauldda
07-08-2017, 11:13 AM
Marciano

Whittaker Mcgregor Ambrose Hanlon Stevenson

Bartley McGinn
McGeouch

Boyle Murray

Change it after an hour, bring stokes and swanson on for Daz and Dylan if it's level.

High-On-Hibs
07-08-2017, 11:13 AM
If we start Stokes tomorrow and see how he gets on. If we get an hour or so out of him and he does okay I don't see why he can't start on Saturday. He's a big game player and I imagine he'll be gagging to get in about them.

He is a big game player. But I don't think it would be entirely fair on Murray who continues to knock his pan in for us week in week out. He will still be short of match fitness also. Wouldn't be surprised if he was saved for about 60-65 minutes in.

Dunfyhibee
07-08-2017, 11:20 AM
3-5-2 is how I would go. Mcgregor in for Swanson, only picked Swanson as he seems to drift in and out of games and don't think there's any room for that at Ibrox. Great option to have Swanson and stokes to come on if things aren't going out way. Boyle in a free role behind Murray as he is on fire and the strength of McGinn, mcgeouch and Marv in the middle. Praying it was only a minor knock on Saturday for marv. Also feel Whittaker has moved ahead of SDG for the time being.

Keith_M
07-08-2017, 11:21 AM

1-3-2-3-2

Not sure we'll get away with 12 players on the park. More likely to be up against 12.

1 + 3 = 4
+ 2 = 6
+ 3 = 9
+ 2 = 11

I think you need a new calculator bud

:wink:

neil7908
07-08-2017, 11:22 AM
Some really tough decisions ahead for Lennon.

It must be awful being a football manager sometimes. I'm struggling to pick a formation, let alone a starting 11, and what I put down here is completely meaningless.

I'm tempted to say let's go for it though. They really aren't that good, same team as last week but McGregor in for Efe and let's take the game to them. I also think Boyle has to play and I don't think he's quite as effective in central areas where he's got less room to manoeuvre. Out right in a 4-3-3 is perfect for him.

Plenty of options on the bench if we need to tighten up to a 3-5-2 or if legs are tiring.

However think Lennon will go more conservative and will play 3-5-2. I've also got a strange feeling big Dave might start. I think after the semi final with Aberdeen last year, and the impact Holt had, Lennon might want to have a big guy up front who can hold the ball up and win some headers for Murray to chase.

High-On-Hibs
07-08-2017, 11:22 AM
1 + 3 = 4
+ 2 = 6
+ 3 = 9
+ 2 = 11

I think you need a new calculator bud

:wink:

So do you say 1-4-4-2 and 1-3-5-2? :wink:

Keith_M
07-08-2017, 11:23 AM
So do you say 1-4-4-2 and 1-3-5-2? :wink:

Now you're giving me a headache

:na na:

Diclonius
07-08-2017, 11:25 AM
5-3-2.

Marciano

Gray Ambrose McGregor Hanlon Stevenson

McGinn McGeouch Swanson

Boyle Murray

cabbageandribs1875
07-08-2017, 11:26 AM
it's good for NL having so many options for different formations to play at the vile bigot arena

07-08-2017, 11:27 AM
He is a big game player. But I don't think it would be entirely fair on Murray who continues to knock his pan in for us week in week out. He will still be short of match fitness also. Wouldn't be surprised if he was saved for about 60-65 minutes in.

I wouldn't drop Murray, start Stokes and Murray tomorrow and sub Stokes if/when he starts to tire. Same again on Saturday.

calumhibee1
07-08-2017, 11:31 AM
Exact same team as Saturday. Keep the ball off them, be difficult to break down and hit them on the counter with the pace that we have.

RoYO!
07-08-2017, 11:33 AM
----------------Rocky

-------Efe McGregor Hanlon
Whittaker---------------- Stevenson
--------------Bartman
----SJM------------------Swanson
-------------Boyle
------------------S Murray

.Sean.
07-08-2017, 11:38 AM
I honestly can't see any way we can leave out any our 3 top centre halfs.

Marciano

Ambrose McGregor Hanlon

Whittaker McGeough Bartley McGinn Stevenson

Murray Boyle

2-0 Hibs.

jacomo
07-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Sevco seem to have pace and trickery out wide.

I'd go 4-3-3 as on Saturday but with big Daz in for Efe.

Let our full backs keep our shape. Boyle and Swanson to provide width and Simon Murray up top.

Sevco are no great shakes defensively.

RossScott1991
3.5.2 seems to be the general feeling on here, NL might have completely different way of thinking!

Mcginn Mcgeough seem be general choice in midfield. We do need guys who are comfortable on the ball to retain it at ibrox.

Interesting not many have gone for Bartley, is this for reason above? I always thought Marv would be key this season going to ibrox and celtic park. Midfield enforcer.

RoYO!
Compact and tight at the back. Pace and creativity to counter attack. PH's pinged crossfield ball to Boyle. SJM and Swanson both have an eye for a killer pass into the channels. Bartley shores things up more than Dylan.

RoYO!
07-08-2017, 11:44 AM
----------------Rocky

-------Efe McGregor Hanlon
Whittaker---------------- Stevenson
--------------Bartman
----SJM------------------Swanson
-------------Boyle
------------------S Murray

I'd also play Dylan on tues and save Bartley for Ibrox.

West lower
07-08-2017, 11:46 AM

Marciano

Ambrose McGregor Hanlon

Murray Boyle

2-0 Hibs.

This for me too. Swanson and Stokes to come on if we are chasing the game.

Boyle89
07-08-2017, 11:57 AM
From watching the highlights of the Motherwell game sevco looked poor at dealing with balls into the box. Get the fullbacks putting crosses in and we will score. Get the rest of the team pressing like Simon Murray and they will stop the passing from the back and force mistakes.
In NL I trust.

seanoheimhin
07-08-2017, 12:00 PM
This for me too. Swanson and Stokes to come on if we are chasing the game.

What a great position to be in that we're all agonizing over which quality players to include.

Equally funny that, in the face of that, there's a consensus for 3-5-2. It makes sense to me with those attacking options on the bench.

It won't be an easy game against the zombies, ideally would be a few more games into the season.

Buzzing for it though!!

:flag:

mike1875
07-08-2017, 12:00 PM
Marciano
Ambrose McGregor Hanlon
Gray Whittaker Bartley McGinn Stevenson
Boyle Murray

Although McGeough will probably start with Whittaker at right back.

hfc rd
07-08-2017, 12:05 PM

Marciano

Ambrose McGregor Hanlon

Murray Boyle

2-0 Hibs.

Agree with this

RamYer1902
07-08-2017, 12:11 PM
Marciano

Ambrose McGregor Hanlon

Whittaker Bartley McGinn Stevenson

Swanson

Murray Boyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DTS
07-08-2017, 12:13 PM
Marciano
Ambrose McGregor hanlon
Whittaker. McGinn. Bartley. Stevenson
Boyle. Mcgeouch
Murray

If Boyle plays he needs to stay wide I think he'd be lost. So I'd go 3-4-3 with mcgeouch on the left with the ability to slide inside to add another cm without the ball

NAE NOOKIE
07-08-2017, 12:14 PM
352 has always been our road to success against the Huns, but IMO their lack of real quality through the centre of midfield was the key to that ... with the addition of Dorrans they have gone some way to addressing that problem, but I still think their main form of attack is going to come down the flanks.

From listening to their match on the radio yesterday their main weakness seems to be at the back and it was interesting that they seemed to struggle against crosses ..... If he plays on Tuesday and does well it might be worth having Matulevicius on the bench, it sounds to me as if his height and strength could be an issue for their defence, especially if we end up chasing the game. I cant make my mind up about Efe, he has loads of big game experience, but once again on Saturday he took risks and got away with it, I cant see him being so lucky at Ibrox, I would play him, but make it clear he has to clear the bloody thing when its the best option.

I do have a feeling that pace is going to be an issue for the Huns defence, so it has to be Boyle and Murray, both of whom are in good form. I got the impression that Motherwell came into the game far more on Sunday when they upped the pace, we have to play at a high intensity here.

Marciano

Ambrose, McGregor, Hanlon

Whittaker, McGeouch, Bartley, SJM, Stevenson

Boyle, Murray

Subs ..... Laidlaw, Matulevicius, Swanson, Fontaine, Stokes. No place for F Murray coz experience is more important, I certainly think he is good enough and wouldn't complain if he is named though, and no place for Slivka because I haven't seen enough of him to have any idea what he's like.

Smartie
07-08-2017, 12:15 PM
I can't believe so few people want David Gray in for this.

Marciano

Ambrose McGregor Hanlon
Gray McGeouch Bartley McGinn Stevenson
Murray Boyle

Plenty of options on the bench to change if necessary.

It's really hard knowing who to leave out with this squad.

Jones28
07-08-2017, 12:16 PM
Rocky

Whittiker McGregor Ambrose Hanlon Stevenson

Mcgeouch Bartley Mcginn

Boyle

Murray

3-5-2/5-3-2

Franck Stanton
07-08-2017, 12:16 PM
When/if we play a flat back 4 yes, having Bartley as midfield "enforcer" gives the central defence extra protection.
If however, we play with 3 centre halves, do we really need an extra defensive midfielder ? Seems to me we are doubling up . Don't get me wrong here, I really rate big Marvin, great player in his position, IMO best in league at what he does, however, think if he does play will depend on which formation Lennon chooses to go with.

NAE NOOKIE
07-08-2017, 12:22 PM
I can't believe so few people want David Gray in for this.

Marciano

Ambrose McGregor Hanlon
Gray McGeouch Bartley McGinn Stevenson
Murray Boyle

Plenty of options on the bench to change if necessary.

It's really hard knowing who to leave out with this squad.

Yes .... I have left Gray out as well, but Whittaker has height, huge experience, played well on Saturday and can fit into midfield or at left back if it comes to it .... Gray wouldn't let us down if he did play of that I am sure, but IMO having him in in place of Whittaker would be sentiment rather than a rational choice at this moment in time.

Also Lennon clearly seems to prefer him, so its going to be Whittaker.

we are hibs
07-08-2017, 12:25 PM
Marciano

Whittaker
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Bartley
McGeouch
McGinn

Swanson
Murray
Boyle

B.H.F.C
07-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Same as Partick for me, although I'd have McGregor in for Efe.

They will come out at 100mph. If it turns in to the type of game where we both just go at each other I'd be happy with that because we will score goals. I'd hate it if we were to show them too much respect and went a bit too negative, like the semi against the sheep.

All that said, will not be surprised whatsoever if it's 3 at the back.

we are hibs
07-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Yes .... I have left Gray out as well, but Whittaker has height, huge experience, played well on Saturday and can fit into midfield or at left back if it comes to it .... Gray wouldn't let us down if he did play of that I am sure, but IMO having him in in place of Whittaker would be sentiment rather than a rational choice at this moment in time.

Also Lennon clearly seems to prefer him, so its going to be Whittaker.

In what way does Lennon clearly prefer him? Gray would've started on Saturday if not suspended. Whittaker has been brought in to play a variety of positions, to cover any injuries and to play in games where he is needed (this being one of them)

Smartie
07-08-2017, 12:27 PM

It may mainly be sentiment but David Gray has always done the business against Rangers, even popping up with the odd goal.

They're a great pair to choose between, but for a huge game with an intense atmosphere I feel you need to play your club captain, and he needs to lead the whole bunch by example.

Whittaker has done well for us so far and will play a lot, I just think we need Gray this weekend.

Since90+2
07-08-2017, 12:31 PM
Whittaker looked a class act on Saturday. Strong , good in the air and very assured on the ball.

Gray is still a good option but at this time if its a choice at right back between him and Whittaker its Whittaker every time for me.

NAE NOOKIE
07-08-2017, 12:35 PM
In what way does Lennon clearly prefer him? Gray would've started on Saturday if not suspended. Whittaker has been brought in to play a variety of positions, to cover any injuries and to play in games where he is needed (this being one of them)

It was interesting to me that in the only competitive game so far this season where we were likely to be offered a serious challenge and Gray was available, IE Ross County, Whittaker was preferred to him. Don't get me wrong, as I said if Gray does start in front of Whittaker you wont hear me complaining, I just think NL will prefer to go with Whittaker. We shall see I suppose.

ian cruise
07-08-2017, 12:45 PM
Gray will start I'm pretty sure of that. Don't know about Stokes, really depends how he looks in training. I thought he'd start against Thistle and he didn't get on the pitch so match sharpness must be missing a little.

Marciano
Gray McGregor Ambrose Hanlon Stevenson
Whittaker
McGinn McGeough
Boyle Murray Swanson

Think Whittaker might be preferred to Bartley based on footballing ability with the option of bringing Bartley on of it gets scrappy. Three at the back with Gray, Stevenson in full back roles.

McGinn/McGeough in middle with Boyle and Swanson out wide and Murray up front. Let front three interchange as required to create space.

kentao
07-08-2017, 12:47 PM

Marciano

Ambrose McGregor Hanlon

Murray Boyle

2-0 Hibs.

This team for me, pressing high up the pitch with Murray and Boyle forcing the rangers defenders to lump it forward.

snooky
07-08-2017, 12:55 PM
I see an 11 defence as we'll get charged with incitement if we cross the halfway line. :wink:

MyJo
07-08-2017, 01:04 PM
________________Marciano

Gray______Ambrose______Mcgregor______Stevenson

Whittaker_____Bartley_____McGinn______Swanson

___________Boyle___________Murray

lord bunberry
07-08-2017, 01:12 PM
We should be looking to be as offensive as possible and get steamed right in about them. As for the team, I'd go for a similar formation to Saturday.

Hfcwilson3192
07-08-2017, 01:21 PM
We should start with a 4-2-3-1

Marciano

Whitty mcgregor hanlon stevenson

Bartley mcginn

Boyle Swanson Stokes

Murray

JimboHibs
07-08-2017, 01:24 PM
Same team as last week but with McGregor replacing Efe imo, wouldn't risk Efe at Ibrox and McGregor with Hanlon is the more solid partnership. Ideally Stokes would start but it's who do you drop?

Curious as to why McGregor & Hanlon are more solid than Ambrose and either McGregor/Hanlon ?

Souter96Mac
07-08-2017, 01:25 PM
Difficult to drop anyone of the front 3 imo. Swanson from what I seen and heard played well against Thistle whilst Boyle and Murray have been in form and causing teams all sorts of havoc. Stokes will have an opportunity against Ayr to stake his claim.
Id go
Rocky
Whitts Daz Hanlon Stevenson
Bartley McGinn McGeouch
Boyle Murray Swanson

Hfcwilson3192
07-08-2017, 01:27 PM
Difficult to drop anyone of the front 3 imo. Swanson from what I seen and heard played well against Thistle whilst Boyle and Murray have been in form and causing teams all sorts of havoc. Stokes will have an opportunity against Ayr to stake his claim.
Id go
Rocky
Whitts Daz Hanlon Stevenson
Bartley McGinn McGeouch
Boyle Murray Swansonambrose is an easy drop for this game ae he's a good player but he's no a big game player too many high profile mistakes for my liking lol

Smartie
07-08-2017, 01:27 PM
Curious as to why McGregor & Hanlon are more solid than Ambrose and either McGregor/Hanlon ?

We discussed this a wee while back.

I reckon Ambrose is the best player, but he is yet to form a partnership with any of our centre halves that looks as solid as the McGregor/ Hanlon one (which is about as solid a pairing as I can remember us ever having).

Borderhibbie76
07-08-2017, 01:30 PM
Rocky

Daz Efe Hanlon

SDG SJM Marv DMc Whitty

Murray StokesAbsolutely no chance Lewy will be dropped and rightly so imo

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
07-08-2017, 01:35 PM
When/if we play a flat back 4 yes, having Bartley as midfield "enforcer" gives the central defence extra protection.
If however, we play with 3 centre halves, do we really need an extra defensive midfielder ? Seems to me we are doubling up . Don't get me wrong here, I really rate big Marvin, great player in his position, IMO best in league at what he does, however, think if he does play will depend on which formation Lennon chooses to go with.I agree can't play Marv in a 3 5 2 leaves us short on creativity in middle

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

McKenzie
07-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Rocky

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Whittaker
Bartley

Boyle
McGinn
Swanson

Murray

Northernhibee
07-08-2017, 01:39 PM
Same again. Swanson and Boyle attacking their full backs would be fruitful.

Hibeewilly
07-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Rocky

Daz Efe Hanlon

SDG SJM Marv DMc Whitty

Murray Stokes
It probably wont happen but Whittaker will definitely provide a far bigger threat than Stevenson down the left side I'm in no doubt about that. Whitty wont continually cut back inside he will take his man on inside or out. So I would go with your team apart from Boyle in for Stokes as we must utilise his pace at Ibrox and Stokesy needs games so bring him on with half an hour to go. Speaking to a pal who supports The Rangers this morning he said they are worried about us as their full backs are horrendous - Wallace is defending like a schoolboy apparently. Bring it on - its great to have such a strong squad at our disposal:flag:

.Sean.
07-08-2017, 01:48 PM
I hadn't thought about Gray on the right and switching Whitttaker inside to accommodate both. Plenty options and I'm glad I'm not Lennon having to pick an 11.

The_Sauz
07-08-2017, 01:57 PM
Now you're giving me a headache

:na na:
I think it's because you included the keeper in your formation, and most people don't :greengrin

JimboHibs
07-08-2017, 02:03 PM
ambrose is an easy drop for this game ae he's a good player but he's no a big game player too many high profile mistakes for my liking lol

That's just silly saying he's not a big game player,he's played in more big games than any other member of the squad.

Souter96Mac
07-08-2017, 02:05 PM
ambrose is an easy drop for this game ae he's a good player but he's no a big game player too many high profile mistakes for my liking lol

Yeah as much as I like Efe, I thought he was at fault for the goal on Saturday, and there's no room for mistakes with the depth we have

SeanWilson
07-08-2017, 02:08 PM
It probably wont happen but Whittaker will definitely provide a far bigger threat than Stevenson down the left side I'm in no doubt about that. Whitty wont continually cut back inside he will take his man on inside or out. So I would go with your team apart from Boyle in for Stokes as we must utilise his pace at Ibrox and Stokesy needs games so bring him on with half an hour to go. Speaking to a pal who supports The Rangers this morning he said they are worried about us as their full backs are horrendous - Wallace is defending like a schoolboy apparently. Bring it on - its great to have such a strong squad at our disposal:flag:
I have the misfortune of a Hun for a brother in law, he's a season ticket holder and firmly believes they will take us apart next weekend. The arrogance is disgusting.

frazeHFC
07-08-2017, 02:12 PM
I have the misfortune of a Hun for a brother in law, he's a season ticket holder and firmly believes they will take us apart next weekend. The arrogance is disgusting.

It will make it even sweeter when we leave with all 3 points then. :agree:

I remember in the barbers once a few days before a game against them there was a hun giving it big licks about how they'd beat us.....that game ended 4-0 Hibs.

SeanWilson
07-08-2017, 02:13 PM
It will make it even sweeter when we leave with all 3 points then. :agree:

I remember in the barbers once a few days before a game against them there was a hun giving it big licks about how they'd beat us.....that game ended 4-0 Hibs.
Sincerely hope as as we're meeting them both after the game 😐

number9dream
07-08-2017, 02:30 PM
That's just silly saying he's not a big game player,he's played in more big games than any other member of the squad.

Exactly. Ambrose will be one of the first names on Lennon's team list.

GreenOnions
07-08-2017, 02:33 PM
I think it'll be 352, Saturdays team but Mcgregor in for Swanson.

I'd go for this :agree:

one day maybe...
07-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Marciano

McGregor
Ambrose
Hanlon

Gray
McGeouch
Whittaker (holding)
McGinn
Stevenson

Boyle
Murray

Hibbyradge
07-08-2017, 02:45 PM
I think this game demands a 4 1 3 1 1 line up.

Sproule

Sproule
Sproule
Sproule
Sproule

Sproule

Sproule
Sproule
Sproule

Sproule

Sproule

Wouldn't need subs.

lyonhibs
07-08-2017, 04:03 PM
We should be looking to be as offensive as possible and get steamed right in about them. As for the team, I'd go for a similar formation to Saturday.
This. Go for the jugular, concede not an inch. Big Marv to put Dorrans on his arse and snuff him out and apart from him who do they have?? (That's a genuine question, I've not got a scooby which combo of random Latins TRFC are likely to play or indeed if they're any good)

(Sensible and measured) attacking is the best form of defence IMO. I reckon they are there for the taking.

GreenNWhiteArmy
07-08-2017, 04:48 PM
The personnel we had on the park against PT can easily be utilised as a 451 when defending so I'd be inclined to keep at least 9 of this in our line up at Ibrox.

One change I'd absolutely make is bringing McGregor back in to the starting line up. He's our best DEFENDER. Who he replaces is NL problem to solve.

I'd also potentially bring SDG back in to the line up for Whitty as I believe he's the better defender of the 2 imo.

I'm confident we can do the business. 3-2 hibs

Dan Sarf
07-08-2017, 04:52 PM
I think this game demands a 4 1 3 1 1 line up.

Sproule

Sproule
Sproule
Sproule
Sproule

Sproule

Sproule
Sproule
Sproule

Sproule

Sproule

Wouldn't need subs.

You haven't said who the captain would be.

Baw187
07-08-2017, 05:13 PM
I agree with those that are plumping for the 352 with McGregor coming in at the back with Effe and Hanlon.

We need to get balls in from wide areas against these clowns as they still haven't sorted that out from 2 years ago. Motherwell's balls in to he box were poor by our standards but they still got chances from them.

I'd possibly play Whittaker instead of Bartley and bring Gray in at RWB. SW's distribution will be great at springing counter attacks from deep.

Either Dylan or Danny to make way for McGregor I'd say.

SANH 1875
07-08-2017, 05:14 PM
Rocky

McGregor Ambrose Hanlon

Gray Bartley Stevenson

Whittaker McGinn

Boyle

Murray

Brightside
07-08-2017, 05:16 PM

Did i miss when Whitts became left footed?

Nicho87
07-08-2017, 05:30 PM
Marciano
Whittaker Ambrose McGregor Hanlon Lewis
Boyle McGinn Dylan Swanson
Murray

ALF TUPPER
07-08-2017, 05:31 PM
Don't know about the team but we should set up with hard hats, visors, riot shields and anyone of a certain persuasion might want to try holy relics and water against
the zombies.
😁

#GGTTH

snooky
07-08-2017, 05:35 PM
We discussed this a wee while back.

I reckon Ambrose is the best player, but he is yet to form a partnership with any of our centre halves that looks as solid as the McGregor/ Hanlon one (which is about as solid a pairing as I can remember us ever having).

Playing together for a while creates a kinda psychic understanding (e.g. Deek/Gaz).
Based on that fact alone, it doesn't surprise me that they are the tightest pairing.

Danderhall Hibs
07-08-2017, 05:39 PM
Did i miss when Whitts became left footed?

I don't think he said he was?

Brightside
07-08-2017, 05:43 PM
I don't think he said he was?

He said he will be able to fire down the left wing and get in crosses without having to cut back... i'm looking forward to the teckers. :wink:

07-08-2017, 05:46 PM
Bartley is a must for this game, we need strength and grit in midfield.

southern hibby
07-08-2017, 05:47 PM
From hearing The Huns struggle with Balls into the box I'd start with Big Dave and Stokes up front if we can get 60 minutes from him. After 60 minutes I'd bring on Boyle and Murray to run absolutely riot against their defence.

However if we have Boyle and Murray on from the start this may force them ( the Huns ) to sit deep as they know what damage these 2 can do with their speed on the break.

It's an absolute joy to go to their ground knowing we have options and a lot of class on the bench that can and will change the game if needs must.

Oh and if any Huns are looking in be afraid be very afraid cause we're coming to get you. I'm going for 3-1 Hibs

GGTTH

Since90+2
07-08-2017, 05:54 PM
From hearing The Huns struggle with Balls into the box I'd start with Big Dave and Stokes up front if we can get 60 minutes from him. After 60 minutes I'd bring on Boyle and Murray to run absolutely riot against their defence.

However if we have Boyle and Murray on from the start this may force them ( the Huns ) to sit deep as they know what damage these 2 can do with their speed on the break.

It's an absolute joy to go to their ground knowing we have options and a lot of class on the bench that can and will change the game if needs must.

Oh and if any Huns are looking in be afraid be very afraid cause we're coming to get you. I'm going for 3-1 Hibs

GGTTH

Simon Murray won't be on the bench.

DickieDastardly
07-08-2017, 06:07 PM
Great problem to have, I do think it highlights slightly though that left back cover was more important than right back cover yet we bought SW (who is a great signing).

SDG is for me a stronger player than Lewis, he is also a captain who leads by example - I think it'll be very harsh if he gets dropped.

Anyway Saturdays outcome will be down to our performance rather than theirs, if all the players turn up we should have enough quality to come away with three points - here's hoping 👍

southern hibby
07-08-2017, 07:16 PM
Simon Murray won't be on the bench.

Don't think he will be or Boyle either, however it's an option open to NL, that's what's making our team open to so many options.

GGTTH

Crazyhorse
07-08-2017, 08:16 PM

GGTTH

I agree go straight at them. If we get the first goal the sevco fans will get on the team's back very quickly.

The Leith Dutch
07-08-2017, 08:45 PM

The point isn't whether Whittaker is a better attacking full back than Stevenson (he clearly is).....it's whether Gray is a better attacking full back than Stevenson. If there's not much in it - and I don't believe there is - then Whittaker will be deployed on the right where he's spent the vast majority of his career.

Said it before but short of a massive loss of form from Stevenson the only way we'll see Whittaker at left back is if Stevenson is injured, suspended or red carded.

If Lennon genuinely felt left back was a weak area (and particularly a weaker area than right back) I strongly suspect he'd have signed a left back rather than signing a class right back who happens to be able to fill in there.

JimBHibees
07-08-2017, 08:50 PM
He said he will be able to fire down the left wing and get in crosses without having to cut back... i'm looking forward to the teckers. :wink:

He is very two footed some of his passing with his left have been excellent in the games I have seen.

snooky
07-08-2017, 08:58 PM
Don't think he will be or Boyle either, however it's an option open to NL, that's what's making our team open to so many options.

GGTTH

Think of the psychological trauma they'll go through knowing the Stokes is on the bench ........... waiting to come on at anytime. Woooooooooooooooooo! .:worried:

It''ll be like the shower scene in Psycho. :shocked:

RossScott1991
07-08-2017, 10:52 PM
Hopefully tavernier starts he is awful. Seems the popular formation is 3.5.2

Can't wait to see how we line up. Bring it on. Gutted I'm not there, anyone know if four in hand or harp & castle are showing it through a stream ?

rennie_hfc
08-08-2017, 12:01 AM
---------------Marciano
-----Ambrose-McGregor-Hanlon
Whittaker-----------------------Stevenson
-----------McGeouch-McGinn
------Boyle-----------------Swanson
-------------------Murray

hibee_girl
08-08-2017, 07:32 AM
Bartley is a must for this game, we need strength and grit in midfield.

Bartley a doubt - http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/marvin-bartley-an-injury-doubt-to-face-rangers-1-4524925

we are hibs
08-08-2017, 08:24 AM
Bartley a doubt - http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/marvin-bartley-an-injury-doubt-to-face-rangers-1-4524925

when you read the article is says Hibs are hopeful that he will be fit. Evening news at their best with the headline

calumhibee1
08-08-2017, 08:34 AM
IF Bartley misses out (which I doubt he will) I'd go

Rocky

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Whittaker (sitting infront of the back 4)
McGinn
McGeough

Boyle
Murray
Stokes/Swanson

calumhibee1
09-08-2017, 10:26 AM
After last night I'd now go

Rocky

Whittaker
McGregor
Ambrose
Lewis

Bartley
McGeough
McGinn

Boyle
Murray
Stokes

Mr_F
09-08-2017, 10:37 AM
I hope he doesn't start with 1 up front, screwed us in the Aberdeen semi, if you lose the 1st goal always chasing the game & hard task with only 1 up top. Would rather go with 2/3 and take the game to the Hun mutants. We're better than them, let the orcs worry about us...

Rocky

Ambrose
McGregor
Hanlon

SDG
McGeough
Slivka
McGinn
Whittaker

Stokes
Murray

1-3 Hibs

Smartie
09-08-2017, 10:41 AM
I'm really torn. Very hard to know who to leave out.

I thought we looked very good with the 3-5-2 again which might tempt me to go for that. I think we need Bartley in midfield though (if he's available) and I'm not sure we need 3 centre backs as well as Bartley.

I'm still in favour of Gray over Whittaker. Gray was fantastic last night. Whilst Whittaker is better going forward, I think Gray is a bit better defensively and a fraction quicker. Windass looked pretty effective on Sunday and we'll need to watch that.

Marciano

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Bartley

McGinn
McGeouch

Boyle
Murray
Stokes

And lets get stuck into that ropey old defence of theirs.

Fergus52
09-08-2017, 10:54 AM
Having Bartley playing in a 3-5-2 is overkill defensively and would hinder our attacking play IMO.

Id play

Daz-Efe-Hanlon
Gray-Whittaker-Mcgeough-SJM-Stevenson
murray-stokes

Those 3 in central midfield are more than capable defensively in that formation, and are all more mobile and comfortable with the ball at their feet than Bartley. Would bring big Marv on if we were defending a lead

number9dream
09-08-2017, 12:27 PM
All of the possible line ups look good, which underlines how hard a job the manager has.

It will be hard to break up the Stokes - Murray partnership but then we lose the pace of Boyle. I can't see all three up top unless we go with four at the back and Bartley is fit to join McGinn & McGeouch.

Windass, Dorrans, Jack & Kranjcar is a massive improvement from last season for Rangers in the middle but they've not got much up top other than old Kenny and might be suspect at the back as the new centre-halves bed in. Set-pieces could be a source of joy, which is maybe another good reason to go with three big lads at the back.

ancient hibee
09-08-2017, 05:48 PM
Marciano

Whittaker,MacGregor,Hanlon,Stevenson

Bartley if fit otherwise Ambrose

McGinn,McGeouch,Swanson

Boyle,Murray.