PDA

View Full Version : Question Match day road closures ? (fans rep)

GreenCastle
07-08-2017, 10:07 AM
Walking to the stadium on Saturday and was amazed lots of vehicles were allowed to drive down the road full of supporters - close to kick off and also with many children around. Some of the cars I saw weren't exactly going slow either!

With the recent festival security on the Royal Mile what is the clubs stance / safety procedure for fans this season at home games?

Would also be useful if the club could make announcements in advance online in the match day info whether they plan to shut / put barriers up Albion Road for away fans.

Thanks

Diclonius
07-08-2017, 10:10 AM
One thing I've never got about our matchday security is home fans being blocked from Easter Road whereas away fans are let out normally. Why should the majority of the crowd (us) be inconvenienced? It's always the other way round when we visit Tynecastle or Ibrox.

Away fans should be forced through Meadowbank or kept in for half an hour. Not the other way round. It's a joke.

Keith_M
07-08-2017, 10:38 AM
One thing I've never got about our matchday security is home fans being blocked from Easter Road whereas away fans are let out normally. Why should the majority of the crowd (us) be inconvenienced? It's always the other way round when we visit Tynecastle or Ibrox.

Away fans should be forced through Meadowbank or kept in for half an hour. Not the other way round. It's a joke.

I agree about keeping Away Fans in after the game but I'm not sure how you'd go about sending them out via Meadowbank.

There's a (fairly) new path that leads to the retail park but it's really narrow and I don't think it'd be safe to allow ~4k Fans to exit that way. AFAIK, that's the reason they don't just use the Bothwell Bridge, and it's actually a bit wider than the other route.

Scouse Hibee
07-08-2017, 06:18 PM
What about opening the gates on the Bridge at full time so we can get over without queuing! Was ridiculous on Saturday.

hibee_girl
07-08-2017, 06:27 PM
I live next to the stadium and we got the usual letter about road closures from the council a few weeks ago, my street was meant to be closed on Saturday but it wasn't. They only really bother closing it when it's the 'big' games now.

ColinNish
07-08-2017, 06:45 PM
Streets round the ground (St clair street, hawkhill avenue) are normally closed 30 mins before kick off.

SouthMoroccoStu
07-08-2017, 07:45 PM

Too right

The placement of the police wall is a total joke!!

We get treated like **** when we visit ibrox but we get dictated too when they come here

Make them wait in 40 minutes (remembering to bill them for the additional damage caused while feeding it to the papers) then put the barrier further up the road and make them file across Crawfords Bridge

Biggest joke last year was after the hearts cup replay.
The wall was up for ages after the final whistle (game over, celebrations, players lap of honour and Sunshine on Leith) and that lot had all left with about 70 gone - yet again we were made to wait

Scouse Hibee
07-08-2017, 07:50 PM

Police strategy here is to get the away fans away from ground and general area as soon as possible after the final whistle. Asked a senior cop a few years ago about it, said it didn't make sense to have to keep a massed Police presence together so long after the game.

ancient hibee
07-08-2017, 08:51 PM
Temporary traffic lights at top of Abbeymount.Tail back in Easter Road past Albion Road.,tail back in Holyrood to Dynamic Earth roundabout.Work being carried out at Abbeymount,zero.

hibee
07-08-2017, 09:44 PM
It was ridiculous on Saturday, cars driving through thousands of people on the road outside the shop.

There's no consistency, they close the road for quiet games then leave it open when it's really busy, makes no sense.

GreenCastle
07-08-2017, 09:48 PM
It was ridiculous on Saturday, cars driving through thousands of people on the road outside the shop.

There's no consistency, they close the road for quiet games then leave it open when it's really busy, makes no sense.

Would be good to get a response about this ?

Like I said safety is an important part of areas wth large crowds for obvious reasons and like you say outside the famous five thier was lots of kids and random cars just flying around the corner and could have easily caused an accident.

This was at 2.25pm - surely 2pm it should be closed except local access - but still some traffic control / warnings / or areas where cars can't go.

Albanian Hibs
07-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Its the same after the game. Walking down St Clair and the cars that are parked there (blue badges I think?) are all trying to drive through thousands of fans. Surprised someone hasnt been run over yet. Its impossible to keep everyone on the pavements too.

Diclonius
07-08-2017, 10:26 PM
Police strategy here is to get the away fans away from ground and general area as soon as possible after the final whistle. Asked a senior cop a few years ago about it, said it didn't make sense to have to keep a massed Police presence together so long after the game.

Then why do it at Ibrox, and make us walk the long way back to the city centre at Tynecastle? Surely a hostile home crowd is a bigger problem than an away support.

GreenCastle
08-08-2017, 09:22 AM
Its the same after the game. Walking down St Clair and the cars that are parked there (blue badges I think?) are all trying to drive through thousands of fans. Surprised someone hasnt been run over yet. Its impossible to keep everyone on the pavements too.

I've noticed this too.

Surely someone should make people who park on that street wait till the crowd is cleared ?

Not sure who is responsible..the club..the council..G4S ?

Surely the club who are hosting an event want the safety of fans as number 1 priority ?

Would be good to hear a reply from a fans rep please.

Drumlanrig
08-08-2017, 10:41 AM
What about opening the gates on the Bridge at full time so we can get over without queuing! Was ridiculous on Saturday.

Agreed ! These gates are a nightmare. Anyone know how this can be addressed?

Archie89
08-08-2017, 11:41 AM
I've noticed this too.

Surely someone should make people who park on that street wait till the crowd is cleared ?

Not sure who is responsible..the club..the council..G4S ?

Surely the club who are hosting an event want the safety of fans as number 1 priority ?

Would be good to hear a reply from a fans rep please.

It always amazes me that people try to drive through the crowds on st Clair (street?), and you get the occasional aggressive one as well. It's not that unusual to see people being clipped by wing mirrors.
You'd like to think nobody would be needed to stop people from doing this, surely common sense tells you not to, but apparently not.