PDA

View Full Version : Michael Stewart on Sportscene

Hibbyradge
06-08-2017, 11:15 PM
Can someone please record him saying that it shouldn't be a penalty of the player didn't deliberately handle the ball.

It might come in useful later this season.

RossScott1991
06-08-2017, 11:20 PM
Can someone please record him saying that it shouldn't be a penalty of the player didn't deliberately handle the ball.

How will it be useful?

Hibbyradge
06-08-2017, 11:30 PM
Useful might not have been the best word, but he'll contradict what he said tonight if it suits him.

Particularly if it involves Hibs.

He's a hypocrite.

High-On-Hibs
06-08-2017, 11:32 PM
Useful might not have been the best word, but he'll contradict what he said tonight if it suits him.

He's a hypocrite.

Think he gives a rather fair account of us to be honest. Certainly doesn't talk about us with bitter undertones like certain other pundits.

shetlandhibee
06-08-2017, 11:36 PM
Think he gives a rather fair account of us to be honest. Certainly doesn't talk about us with bitter undertones like certain other pundits. breath of fresh air compared to the likes of andy walker! now thats a hypocrit!!:agree:

Scott Allan Key
06-08-2017, 11:39 PM
Think he gives a rather fair account of us to be honest. Certainly doesn't talk about us with bitter undertones like certain other pundits.

I tend to agree, although he favours Hearts, he isn't unfair to Hibs usually, and his disgusted opinions of the management at Hearts are yes, partly as a fan, but also partly as an intelligent Scottish ex-footballer who can call out nonsense and embarrassing approaches to running a club. I see similarities in Hearts to us around latter day of Fenlon in the inept way they are being steered.

And it is karma, guest bitches.

connerg
07-08-2017, 12:24 AM

I heard that too. The BBC will have loads in their archive's of The Rangers and Celtic being awarded penalties under the above circumstances. They had a chance to call him out but chose not to.

It will come back to haunt him and the BBC.

FWIW i think Stewart is ok but still a yam.

Hfcwilson3192
07-08-2017, 01:59 AM
Got to say I actually like Mikey he's a decent pundit he's usually always spot on tbh. He's always fair when it comes to us which is unusual considering he's a puddle drinker.

Winston Ingram
07-08-2017, 05:31 AM

This. I think he's fair, consistent reasoned and logical.

Tinribs
07-08-2017, 05:35 AM
This. I think he's fair, consistent reasoned and logical.

He is one of those guys I always feel I should dislike, but then I watch him and end up thinking he is actually ok.

murray26
07-08-2017, 06:24 AM
I had a fairly long disagreement with a Hun at my work last season when he insisted Lewis Stevenson hand ball at Dunfermline last season was a stonewaller ( ref agreed and gave it as it was a Hibs player involved) I will be revisiting his thoughts on this matter when I see him.

RIP Bestie
07-08-2017, 08:02 AM

The problem isn't with the inconsistency of commentators but of referees.
Stewart is correct about handball having to be deliberate but we all know that what is and what isn't deemed to be deliberate, is down to the interpretation of the referee.
On another note, did anyone else notice big Laffatme getting away with a second booking on Saturday when he threw himself to the ground after being shot by a sniper in the crowd. Sky didn't make too much of it and nothing was shown in the Sportscene highlights.
Its just another example of how the rules of the game are not always applied but we have to accept this unfortunately

hibsbollah
07-08-2017, 12:20 PM
He's not being hypocritical because he's not taking a view thats in conflict with any other opinion he's given :dunno:

I agree with Stewart, the laws around handball intent should be a lot clearer, either in the laws themselves or how the refs apply them. Either a) all handballs should be automatic free kicks, whether there is intent or not, and it's the player's responsibility to get his hands away from the ball...or b) only glaringly obvious handballs such as a defender making a 'save' at the back post when the keeper is beaten should be given.

Lago
07-08-2017, 01:01 PM

He's a hypocrite.
Nope, one of the best pundits on the TV where Scottish football is concerned. Always feel he gives a honest & unbiased summary where Hibs are concerned. Not sure where the hypocrite tag comes from.

kaimendhibs
07-08-2017, 01:05 PM
No problem with Michael Stewart. Decent and honest pundit imo

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thecat23
07-08-2017, 01:17 PM

Stewart is one of the best pundits in football. A lot better than what we often get served up on sky etc.

Usually very fair as well when talking about Hibs.

Diclonius
07-08-2017, 01:18 PM
Got to say I actually like Mikey he's a decent pundit he's usually always spot on tbh. He's always fair when it comes to us which is unusual considering he's a puddle drinker.

I suspect he likes both Edinburgh teams.

Very good pundit.

LaMotta
07-08-2017, 01:51 PM
He's not being hypocritical because he's not taking a view thats in conflict with any other opinion he's given :dunno:

I agree with Stewart, the laws around handball intent should be a lot clearer, either in the laws themselves or how the refs apply them. Either a) all handballs should be automatic free kicks, whether there is intent or not, and it's the player's responsibility to get his hands away from the ball...or b) only glaringly obvious handballs such as a defender making a 'save' at the back post when the keeper is beaten should be given.

:agree:

The law is definitely not implemented the way it is written. Handballs are very very rarely deliberate, but free kicks/penalties for handball are less rare.

Going with option a) would be best imo.

Brunswickbill
07-08-2017, 03:03 PM
If you give a penalty every time the ball touched a hand no matter what, the cheats would start perfecting ways to chip and flick the ball on to the the opposition's hands. Start a new form of cheating. Call me a cynic.

Hfcwilson3192
07-08-2017, 04:16 PM
I suspect he likes both Edinburgh teams.

Very good pundit.

Aye definitely mate.

hibs#1
07-08-2017, 04:35 PM
The rules around handballs are very grey,that was definitely a penalty yesterday,(cross would have got into the box and Motherwell would have had goal scoring opportunity)but the defenders arm stopped it.stonewaller if you ask me.

And Stewart is a good pundit(jambo supporting aside.)

where'stheslope
07-08-2017, 07:51 PM
I heard that too. The BBC will have loads in their archive's of The Rangers and Celtic being awarded penalties under the above circumstances. They had a chance to call him out but chose not to.

It will come back to haunt him and the BBC.

FWIW i think Stewart is ok but still a yam.

One particular incident for Rangers comes to mind, playing Dunfermline at East End Park,a corner for Rangers is crossed in someone at the near post flicks it goal wards, and the player tight holding on to the post gets hit on the arm holding the post, penalty and red card for the player.
At the time I thought I had missed something else, but the rules state his arm was in an unnatural position.
Try holding on to a post in a natural position, its exactly same position, again its down to interpretation of the rules!!!!!

Smartie
07-08-2017, 07:57 PM
I didn't think it was a penalty.

It was like the free-kick that was given against Dylan at Ibrox a couple of years ago - a ridiculous decision.

No doubt it hit his hand, but he was making an honest attempt to block the ball legally and his hand happened to get in the way, mainly due to momentum rather than throwing an arm out in an attempt to block the ball.

GreenNWhiteArmy
07-08-2017, 08:16 PM
I didn't think it was a penalty.

It was like the free-kick that was given against Dylan at Ibrox a couple of years ago - a ridiculous decision.

No doubt it hit his hand, but he was making an honest attempt to block the ball legally and his hand happened to get in the way, mainly due to momentum rather than throwing an arm out in an attempt to block the ball.

Agree with this

As for MS, Never really minded him as a pundit. Speaks the truth and how he sees the game. Doesn't need to do it in a way that appears confrontational or belittling ala Chris Sutton

Craig_HFC
07-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Michael Stewart is one of the better pundits in football, talks a lot of sense and is always fair and balanced. I don't actually mind Steven Thompson either; he's not as good as Stewart but he's certainly not bad.