PDA

View Full Version : Lafferty v Stokes

Ianhibee
06-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Missing out on Lafferty and ultimately getting Stokes reminds me of the late eighties when we tried to get Ian Andrews (I think) as a goalie but he went to Celtic and was a car crash. We ended up with Andy Goram - best goalie we have ever had -
this twist of fate looking like having a similar outcome...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronniekirk
06-08-2017, 04:46 PM
Missing out on Lafferty and ultimately getting Stokes reminds me of the late eighties when we tried to get Ian Andrews (I think) as a goalie but he went to Celtic and was a car crash. We ended up with Andy Goram - best goalie we have ever had -
this twist of fate looking like having a similar outcome...

Lennon did him a favour by saying he wanted to sign him
Resulted in Hears locking him in for three days and he presumably ended up with a better deal from Hearts
We have ended up with Real Quality

Wembley67
06-08-2017, 04:53 PM
Controversial but I think Lafferty is going to net 15+ for them and stokes maybe 10...right or wrong we will still finish higher due to our squad being awesome!

MWHIBBIES
06-08-2017, 04:56 PM
I think we were always in for Stokes. Signing Lafferty as well might've been really good but until we've seen big Dave properly it is hard to tell. If Dave is a player then we're in great shape up front.

Ronniekirk
06-08-2017, 04:56 PM
Controversial but I think Lafferty is going to net 15+ for them and stokes maybe 10...right or wrong we will still finish higher due to our squad being awesome!

No chance Stokes will score just 10

hibsbollah
06-08-2017, 04:57 PM

I tend to agree. Everything Hertz do will go through the snaggle toothed inbred banjo plucker. Our goals will be spread around this season with Boyle Stokes and Murray contributing fairly equally. If they all stay fit and healthy this season it could be a truly Amadou-esque conclusion.

Zazu62
06-08-2017, 04:59 PM
Lafferty will score goals in this league, Stokes is a much better signing tho but he needs to get fit and get games

Thecat23
06-08-2017, 05:02 PM
Stokes will and Murray will get 15+ Lafferty will get around 12. He is ****ing AWFUL. I honestly can't see why folk think he'll score goals. Lennon maybe wanted him for a chat but I don't think he would have signed him if I'm honest.

Andy74
06-08-2017, 05:09 PM
If we got Lafferty it probably would have been instead of big Dave.

Edinburgh Green
06-08-2017, 05:10 PM
Heard the big hearts huddy was on £13.5 grand a week! Crazy!

High-On-Hibs
06-08-2017, 05:13 PM

Stokes will get 15+
Murray will get 20+
Boyle will get at least 10
The rest will get 15-25 between them

Keith_M
06-08-2017, 05:14 PM

Surely not, only Celtc and The Rangers pay that kind of money.

Thecat23
06-08-2017, 05:18 PM

Someone is tugging your chain 😂 £5k apparently.

High-On-Hibs
06-08-2017, 05:18 PM
Someone is tugging your chain 😂 £5k apparently.

He'll be on a similar wage structure as Stokes. Which is already crazy.

SirDavidsNapper
06-08-2017, 05:21 PM
Stokes is well behind Lafferty in match fitness but will still score more come end of the season. He is just a superior player.

neil7908
06-08-2017, 05:28 PM
I'm delighted with our strike force, maybe one player short, especially if Graham goes.

However, I actually think Lafferty will score goals in this league. Under a manager like Lennon I think he would have thrived and been a better player though.

I'd take Stokes every day of the week but I said at the time when he was linked with us that he'd be a good signing for any SPL team out with Celtic and I stand by that.

High-On-Hibs
06-08-2017, 05:32 PM
I'm delighted with our strike force, maybe one player short, especially if Graham goes.

However, I actually think Lafferty will score goals in this league. Under a manager like Lennon I think he would have thrived and been a better player though.

I'd take Stokes every day of the week but I said at the time when he was linked with us that he'd be a good signing for any SPL team out with Celtic and I stand by that.

Didn't look too clever against Celtic. Seemed more interested in looking for a fight than trying to play football. His antics when he was subbed off also showed him up for the complete walloper that he is. How many goals he scores will probably depend on how many red cards he's able to avoid.

Just Alf
06-08-2017, 05:35 PM
Heard the big hearts huddy was on £13.5 grand a week! Crazy!Think was if all the bonuses were added up but assumed a few things

Win league cup
Win Scottish cup
Celtc'esq unbeaten run etc

Not sure but I think they might be coming up a bit short in some of those areas!

[emoji38]yam

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2017, 06:08 PM
I tend to agree. Everything Hertz do will go through the snaggle toothed inbred banjo plucker. Our goals will be spread around this season with Boyle Stokes and Murray contributing fairly equally. If they all stay fit and healthy this season it could be a truly Amadou-esque conclusion.

I hope you don't mind but I'm stealing that :top marks

Waxy
06-08-2017, 06:42 PM
Laf at ye will be sent of at least twice this season.

Deansy
06-08-2017, 06:44 PM
Didn't look too clever against Celtic. Seemed more interested in looking for a fight than trying to play football. His antics when he was subbed off also showed him up for the complete walloper that he is. How many goals he scores will probably depend on how many red cards he's able to avoid.

Typical 'Laff-At-Me' behaviour - trying to cause trouble but hiding it away from anyone in authority ........................... a bit like when you were at school and you were misbehaving behind teacher's back -

"Hee-hee-hee - take that ye Celtic xxxxxx I'm so ****** brave and fly, eh - and teacher never saw me either so yah-boo - sucks to be you - giving ye's the finger more than makes up for whoever-the-****** I'm playing for these days, being rogered 4-1 by ye's !!"

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-08-2017, 06:46 PM
He is a Potter-Player rather than Cathro style hence one in and one out.

yonder1875
06-08-2017, 06:48 PM
A player can get away with running his mouth in the media and taunting opposing fans if he is any good, however their fans will get sick of him soon enough for not being very good.

Deansy
06-08-2017, 07:47 PM
Laf at ye will be sent of at least twice this season.

THIS will be the only competition between Stokes and 'Laff-At-Me' this season - who will get the most bookings/red-cards ?. 'Laff-At-Me's at a complete disadvantage here as he no longer plays for the Hun so therefore will now be clearly visible to the officials - plus they'll all remember the appalling con-job he pulled on 'one of their own' when he infamously got Mulgrew sent-off at Pittodrie !

lord bunberry
06-08-2017, 08:10 PM
The best way to compare the two is that Stokes is a top drawer striker and lafferty is a ****ing donkey

Lago
06-08-2017, 08:22 PM
Stokes will and Murray will get 15+ Lafferty will get around 12. He is ****ing AWFUL. I honestly can't see why folk think he'll score goals. Lennon maybe wanted him for a chat but I don't think he would have signed him if I'm honest.
Agree & I think Hibs have struck gold with Murray, he is going to supprise a lot of people this season.:agree:

Wilson
06-08-2017, 08:22 PM
The best way to compare the two is that Stokes is a top drawer striker and lafferty is a ****ing donkey

:not worth

Michael
06-08-2017, 08:33 PM
As for Lafferty, I think he'll do well at Hearts (15-20), but I don't think he'd have been a success with us.

It wouldn't surprise me if he gets more than Stokes, because it looks like Stokes will play a bit deeper when he's on with Murray.

Onion
06-08-2017, 08:57 PM
Lafferty will score goals in this league, Stokes is a much better signing tho but he needs to get fit and get games

Can you imagine if we'd gone for Stokes, failed, and ended up with lafferty. We'd be distraught. Says everything really.

06-08-2017, 08:58 PM
Lafferty, Goncalves & Stockton v Stokes, Murray & Matulevicius - I wouldn't swap any one of their three for any of ours and I've only seen 15 minutes of Big Davie.

Thecat23
06-08-2017, 08:58 PM
He'll be on a similar wage structure as Stokes. Which is already crazy.

Stokes isn't on anywhere near 13k. Got a great signing on fee though.

calumhibee1
06-08-2017, 09:01 PM
As for Lafferty, I think he'll do well at Hearts (15-20), but I don't think he'd have been a success with us.

It wouldn't surprise me if he gets more than Stokes, because it looks like Stokes will play a bit deeper when he's on with Murray.

No way will Lafferty get anywhere near 20. Hearts will get beat most weeks, short of being a player of Leigh Griffiths levels of ability you're never hitting 20 a season in a team like that.

Onion
06-08-2017, 09:05 PM

Don't need to be convinced that Stokes is the better choice, by a distance. Stokes gave one of the best performances by a Hibs player in any Cup Final in May 2016 and helped destroy a 144 year hoodoo and rip up the Hearts songbook. Irrespective of what Lafferty might or might not have done, nothing will have come remotely close to emulating that.

High-On-Hibs
06-08-2017, 09:15 PM
Stokes isn't on anywhere near 13k. Got a great signing on fee though.

jacomo
06-08-2017, 09:18 PM
Don't need to be convinced that Stokes is the better choice, by a distance. Stokes gave one of the best performances by a Hibs player in any Cup Final in May 2016 and helped destroy a 144 year hoodoo and rip up the Hearts songbook. Irrespective of what Lafferty might or might not have done, nothing will have come remotely close to emulating that.

144??

Well that's just ridiculous!

lapsedhibee
06-08-2017, 09:25 PM

Succinctly and eloquently put. :top marks

Eyrie
06-08-2017, 10:27 PM

That's grossly overstating it.

Hi Heid Yin
06-08-2017, 11:48 PM
Lafferty and Stokes will score a good amount of goals this season.
But, for me, there is no question I would rather have the predatory and instinctive Stokes.

Ozyhibby
07-08-2017, 12:07 AM
I think Lafferty is decent at what he does but I don't see him scoring 20 goals this season.
Lafferty's best ever season in football came in this league for the old Rangers where he managed 15 goals for the team that won the league. I'm struggling to see how he is going to better that playing for a Hearts team languishing near the bottom of the league.

High-On-Hibs
07-08-2017, 12:15 AM
Wonder what odds i'd get for Lafferty scoring more red cards this season than goals. I genuinely believe he will.

Wee Effen Bee
07-08-2017, 12:31 AM
I think Lafferty is decent at what he does but I don't see him scoring 20 goals this season.
Lafferty's best ever season in football came in this league for the old Rangers where he managed 15 goals for the team that won the league. I'm struggling to see how he is going to better that playing for a Hearts team languishing near the bottom of the league.

At the end of the day Ozy, Hearts may improve and Lafferty may score 20 goals + and Stokes may score less. But, like you, I believe Stokes is a far better player and he will contribute more to Hibs through open play and assists. If Murray continues to develop his striking skills, he may end up scoring more than either Stokes or Lafferty which will be pretty funny as, a) we were slagged off for signing him, and b) this argument about who is better Stokes or Lafferty) will be redundant:greengrin

Stantons Angel
07-08-2017, 01:54 PM
Personally I think it laughable even trying to compare the two players.

Firstly there is the style, then the temperament and then the ability, ALL I think Stokes exceeds in compared to Lafferty.

Stokes to me has always been a player of quality and just loves the big games to showcase himself.

Ive every confidence he will excel for us this season with so many of the forthcoming games meaning so much to the team.

Lafferty....... well im just counting the games he will be playing this season? Every time I see him he is arguing and fighting with someone, he will be sent off a of that I have no doubt. He is never in the same all round class as Stokes is as a player.

We will just have to wait and see what this season brings but im looking forward to Lafferty playing against our defenders and trying to mix it with Bartley, it should be a spectacle!!!