PDA

View Full Version : Fear of another false dawn

HFC_NYC
05-08-2017, 11:37 PM
Not to put a dapner on things, I'm as positive as the next guy, but I've been here so many times. But could this finally be the time we realize our potential? Top manager, fantastic signings adding to a really good core of players. I want to believe this is where we get to where we should be, but this is Hibs and we all know that Hibs specializes in dissapointment. Please tell me I'm just overly concerned. .

Hi Heid Yin
05-08-2017, 11:40 PM
You're overly concerned:wink:

HFC_NYC
05-08-2017, 11:42 PM
Thank you. I thought so.

truehibernian
05-08-2017, 11:46 PM
Beat a side who finished top 6, dominated possession, showed heart and fight to quickly come back from goal down, strong bench, didn't have SDG and Daz available, Stokes still to get match fit, still got Commons and maybe one other to come in ?

Frankie says...................:greengrin

monktonharp
06-08-2017, 12:01 AM
most of us aulder fans recognise your concerns, we've been there and wore the t shirt. however, we have recently cracked the hardest nut to crack by winning the holy grail..put that one to bed and move on to the next. we are in a good place at this moment, we all know silly things can happen and suddenly put us right back down to earth but lets enjoy the moment. great crowd, to start the season against a smaller club and our main rivals get well skelped, makes it a fantastic start. we have broke the ST record, we have built a spiffingly good looking side for the upcoming challenge. what's not to like? I have had numerous calls about our supporters bus , this early in the season and expect us to have great travelling supports to most of our early games so lets just see where we are mid-season. I like what I see. ggtth.:cb

Mixu62
06-08-2017, 01:45 AM
Previous false dawns have also taken place with the millstone of crippling debt round our necks. That is no longer the case. I think this could be the time ...it really could!

heidtheba
06-08-2017, 02:33 AM
Spoiler - Rocky Balboa quote coming up...

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody."

To me this is the key, it's how the team will react to a few dodgy decisions, a couple of defeats in a row. This lot have so much more steel to them, the manager too. I know we had a rocky patch with some dull draws at the end of last season, but, from what I could read on here, these were games we might have lost before.

I think the club have turned a corner and could handle a 'slump' more effectively. There's certainly a feeling that we've got a squad which isn't simply first team picks, there's depth there which will keep players on their toes, refreshed and eager to get a chance.

Good times.

Haymaker
06-08-2017, 03:42 AM
I'm :hyper

stantonsboots
06-08-2017, 07:29 AM
Not to put a dapner on things, I'm as positive as the next guy, but I've been here so many times. But could this finally be the time we realize our potential? Top manager, fantastic signings adding to a really good core of players. I want to believe this is where we get to where we should be, but this is Hibs and we all know that Hibs specializes in dissapointment. Please tell me I'm just overly concerned. .Just take each game as it comes enjoy them and see were we are come may!

Onion
06-08-2017, 07:44 AM
No a false dawn, our squad and manager is too good for that. Our biggest threat is not on the pitch it's from the west coast media who will not tolerate Hibs challenging the Huns on their entitled journey to the top and the return of the OF. They will do everything they can to disrupt and break up the club.

RoYO!
06-08-2017, 07:50 AM
Next week is going to be a big test. People seem to just assume that the rangers have strengthened, let's not forget the defeat to progres!

They are there for the taking. We should be looking to topple them. A draw for the them today and a loss next week and it'll be full on panic stations!

Libby Hibby
06-08-2017, 07:51 AM
No a false dawn, our squad and manager is too good for that. Our biggest threat is not on the pitch it's from the west coast media who will not tolerate Hibs challenging the Huns on their entitled journey to the top and the return of the OF. They will do everything they can to disrupt and break up the club.

It's a sad statement in this day and age but 100% true, especially if they drop points today at Fir Park.

Onion
06-08-2017, 08:20 AM
It's a sad statement in this day and age but 100% true, especially if they drop points today at Fir Park.

Been case for decades. More than any other club by a distance, Hibs have been subjected to vindictive media speculation on the slightest hint of success usually involving the M8. The MSM were caught with their pants around their ankles in May 2016, when they were utterly convinced Hibs posed no danger to Warby's World-Beaters lifting the trophy. And the reason they were so incensed by the aftermath and humiliation of Sevco players.

Edinburgh Green
06-08-2017, 08:22 AM
Thing is, we've had good starting 11's before, however one or two injuries and we had to call apon some very average players. This time round, our squad is the strongest it's every been and we will be able to deal with loss of keys players a lot better.

Jones28
06-08-2017, 08:23 AM
Please stop this pish ffs, this is half the reason false dawns have been a Hibs theme

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-08-2017, 08:35 AM
I am not sure exactly what our full potential is. If we all have different expectations then there will never be common agreement?

Waxy
06-08-2017, 10:39 AM
Dawn has arrived.

Jim44
06-08-2017, 10:53 AM
We are no longer a soft touch, we are no longer the pundits' laughing stock, we can go into every game with a realistic chance of success ....... changed days. Where we end up at the end of the season, who knows, but I suspect most of us will be quietly satisfied with our progress.

High-On-Hibs
06-08-2017, 11:04 AM
It's far too early to say how things are going to pan out on a whole. But yesterday we played well against a team who are no mugs themselves. If we can show a level of consistency against the so called "lesser" teams while raising the bar against the bigger clubs, we'll be in for a cracking season.

Keith_M
06-08-2017, 11:30 AM
Please stop this pish ffs, this is half the reason false dawns have been a Hibs theme

I think you would have to explain the logic in that argument, cos it really escapes me.

NAE NOOKIE
06-08-2017, 02:04 PM
A false dawn is when you have a decent side but no strength in depth ..... this time we have good players challenging for just about every position, we wont win every game, we will lose a few games, but we have a squad well capable of holding their own in matches against pretty well every club in the league .... how well we will stand up against Celtic remains to be seen.

We were more than decent for 70 minutes against Partick Thistle, but we also did a few things in the game where the likes of Aberdeen and Sevco would have punished us. Martin Boyle was excellent, but there was a point where he chose to shoot when a square ball would have given Swanson near enough a tap in ... you could see Swanson raging at him for it.

Ambrose took chances that lost him the ball a couple of times and McGeouch's passing was dodgy in the first 15 minutes, giving the ball away more than once.

My point is that we don't lack commitment, we don't lack fitness, we don't lack the ability to control games for large periods ...... what I see as our main weakness which could cost us in some games is poor decision making at times from individual players .... reduce that to a minimum and we will win a hell of a lot more games than we lose.

jockspanner
06-08-2017, 02:16 PM
:flag:Forever the optimist, get Yir cash on the hibees to win the league, 500/1 with sky bet.
A false dawn is when you have a decent side but no strength in depth ..... this time we have good players challenging for just about every position, we wont win every game, we will lose a few games, but we have a squad well capable of holding their own in matches against pretty well every club in the league .... how well we will stand up against Celtic remains to be seen.

We were more than decent for 70 minutes against Partick Thistle, but we also did a few things in the game where the likes of Aberdeen and Sevco would have punished us. Martin Boyle was excellent, but there was a point where he chose to shoot when a square ball would have given Swanson near enough a tap in ... you could see Swanson raging at him for it.

Ambrose took chances that lost him the ball a couple of times and McGeouch's passing was dodgy in the first 15 minutes, giving the ball away more than once.

My point is that we don't lack commitment, we don't lack fitness, we don't lack the ability to control games for large periods ...... what I see as our main weakness which could cost us in some games is poor decision making at times from individual players .... reduce that to a minimum and we will win a hell of a lot more games than we lose.