PDA

View Full Version : Partick Thistle

SirDavidsNapper
05-08-2017, 11:31 PM
I may be alone in this but here goes. I'm Hibs through and through and don't have an affiliation to any other club, I don't have an English team etc but i find Partick Thistle an intriguing bunch. Some of their fans are eccentric to say the least and I respect the fact that they aren't the OF. We all love our respective clubs and it's unconditional but I like Partick. They are a strange lot in a good way and the are the one club (proffesional) that do their city proud. Maybe I have fond memories of Chick Charnley in the green and white I don't know but they are a decent club and i do have a soft spot for them. Thoughts on Thistle?

Jones28
05-08-2017, 11:33 PM
They get my respect because it would be easy for them to support the old firm but they don't.

Hi Heid Yin
05-08-2017, 11:39 PM
I've always like them as a club. Right from when they hammered Celtic 4-1 in The League Cup Final of 1970.
I respect their supporters for following their local club and not the old firm.

SirDavidsNapper
05-08-2017, 11:44 PM
I've always like them as a club. Right from when they hammered Celtic 4-1 in The League Cup Final of 1970.
I respect their supporters for following their local club and not the old firm.

Thats the biggest thing for me. Would be so easy for them to do so.

Dashing Bob S
06-08-2017, 12:00 AM
Patrick Thistle are ****. His rule.

Albanian Hibs
06-08-2017, 12:00 AM
**** them

Audio Visual
06-08-2017, 12:05 AM
**** them

Classy

DH1875
06-08-2017, 12:06 AM
**** them

:agree::agree::agree:. As I said in the other thread, Patrick Thistle fans are in general nothing like the romantic notion that comes across on this thread at times.

Nameless
06-08-2017, 07:01 AM
If you have ever been to Partick, you will understand them a bit better - it's like Morningside, only posher. The Kelvingrove gallery sits there, and it is a bohemian oasis in a city I am not fond of. I don't know when they moved to Mary Hill, but I think they still retain a good sized support from that area.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

The Pointer
06-08-2017, 09:03 AM
Like them cause they're a 'proper' Glasgow side supported by locals (and students).

SlickShoes
06-08-2017, 09:12 AM
If you have ever been to Partick, you will understand them a bit better - it's like Morningside, only posher. The Kelvingrove gallery sits there, and it is a bohemian oasis in a city I am not fond of. I don't know when they moved to Mary Hill, but I think they still retain a good sized support from that area.

Glasgow is so mixed that Partick is nothing like morningside, there's plenty of normal folk living there. They have been in Maryhill for so long that I doubt much of their support comes from Partick itself.

Thecat23
06-08-2017, 09:18 AM
While I was driving back up ER Thistle fans all signing "if you hate the ****ing jambos clap you're hands." Then Hibs fans were joining in. For me that's what football is all about. No trouble just both sets of fans having good banter simple as that.

Hibbyradge
06-08-2017, 09:25 AM
While I was driving back up ER Thistle fans all signing "if you hate the ****ing jambos clap you're hands." Then Hibs fans were joining in. For me that's what football is all about. No trouble just both sets of fans having good banter simple as that.

Heartwarming friendship and banter.

You'll have noted the irony that they were singing about jointly hating another team.

Nameless
06-08-2017, 09:29 AM
Glasgow is so mixed that Partick is nothing like morningside, there's plenty of normal folk living there. They have been in Maryhill for so long that I doubt much of their support comes from Partick itself.Glasgow is mixed, but in my experience Partick is like Morningside. Are you suggesting there are no "normal" people in Morningside? The OP was questioning why some of their fans seem a bit eccentric. In my opinion, it is possibly to do with their origins from a part of Glasgow which does not fit the No Mean City stereotype.

IAmLee
06-08-2017, 09:33 AM

As someone from the city you're not fond of Kelvingrove is in Yorkhill not Partick, I used to live pretty much across the road from it! I also don't think Partick is "posh" in the slightest, it's full of students, it's a nice area but not posh! In fact walking down Dumbarton road reminds me a bit of Leith Walk. They moved up to Maryhill in 1908 so have been there longer than they were in Partick. I have a fair number of friends who support them who come from all over the city and their community foundation is excellent at getting young people from the area into football. They're s very well run wee team and I have nothing but respect for them.

Nameless
06-08-2017, 09:40 AM
As someone from the city you're not fond of Kelvingrove is in Yorkhill not Partick, I used to live pretty much across the road from it! I also don't think Partick is "posh" in the slightest, it's full of students, it's a nice area but not posh! In fact walking down Dumbarton road reminds me a bit of Leith Walk. They moved up to Maryhill in 1908 so have been there longer than they were in Partick. I have a fair number of friends who support them who come from all over the city and their community foundation is excellent at getting young people from the area into football. They're s very well run wee team and I have nothing but respect for them.Excuse my geographical ignorance, I get off at Partick when going to the gallery. I suppose it depends on your subjective view of posh, as I'd say leith is posh now too [emoji6]

IAmLee
06-08-2017, 09:47 AM
Excuse my geographical ignorance, I get off at Partick when going to the gallery. I suppose it depends on your subjective view of posh, as I'd say leith is posh now too [emoji6]

You'll have a fair walk then!! If you are taking the Subway I would suggest getting off at Kelvinhall, it's the closest to the Gallery. Hillhead and Kelvinbridge are also closer but further away than Kelvinhall. I'm not saying some places around here aren't posh, just that Partick isn't particulalry imo, you'll find the "west end wendies" further up in Hyndland, Dowanhill, Kelvinbrige and Park Circus :wink:

Nameless
06-08-2017, 09:49 AM
You'll have a fair walk then!! If you are taking the Subway I would suggest getting off at Kelvinhall, it's the closest to the Gallery. Hillhead and Kelvinbridge are also closer but further away than Kelvinhall. I'm not saying some places around here aren't posh, just that Partick isn't particulalry imo, you'll find the "west end wendies" further up in Hyndland, Dowanhill, Kelvinbrige and Park Circus :wink:I get the train from Queen Street (lower), is that not the most direct route?

Thecat23
06-08-2017, 09:50 AM
Heartwarming friendship and banter.

You'll have noted the irony that they were singing about jointly hating another team.

Yeah which is sung at ER most weeks these days. Two sets of fans who share a dislike for those up the road. Good on them!!

IAmLee
06-08-2017, 09:53 AM
I get the train from Queen Street (lower), is that not the most direct route?

If you're getting the lower level then getting off either partick or the exhibition centre would leave a 15 mins walk to the gallery. I'd personally come out of the station & get the subway to Kelvinhall. Or even the number 2 bus that drops you off outside the front door.

joe breezy
06-08-2017, 10:03 AM
I was in the Thistle end yesterday. They should have got a penalty it looked like but Hibs were by far the better team.
I was brought up supporting Thistle from 1970 to 1985 until I started going to Hibs games with my pals.
Met some Thistle lads after the game - all from Maryhill, which is definitely not like Morningside.
I'll always love both teams but I was glad Hibs won. I didn't think I'd end up supporting Hibs but it's unavoidable when you go to all the games.
When I was at school supporting Thistle I found Hibs fans to be a better bunch and much more akin to the Thistle support who hated Nazis and bigotry.

Hibbyradge
06-08-2017, 10:04 AM
Yeah which is sung at ER most weeks these days. Two sets of fans who share a dislike for those up the road. Good on them!!

Absolutely.

I just thought you getting all gooey eyed about the romance of football when they were singing a hateful song was funny. :hilarious

Thecat23
06-08-2017, 10:08 AM
Absolutely.

I just thought you getting all gooey eyed about the romance of football when they were singing a hateful song was funny. :hilarious

Haha,

I wanted to get out my car and cuddle everyone, I'm an emotional guy 😢😁

The_Horde
06-08-2017, 10:09 AM
I was in the Thistle end yesterday. They should have got a penalty it looked like but Hibs were by far the better team.
I was brought up supporting Thistle from 1970 to 1985 until I started going to Hibs games with my pals.
Met some Thistle lads after the game - all from Maryhill, which is definitely not like Morningside.
I'll always love both teams but I was glad Hibs won. I didn't think I'd end up supporting Hibs but it's unavoidable when you go to all the games.
When I was at school supporting Thistle I found Hibs fans to be a better bunch and much more akin to the Thistle support who hated Nazis and bigotry.

Never a pen. Boy was looking for it

My_Wife_Camille
06-08-2017, 10:16 AM
Daft club with a daft ground from a horrible city that time is trying its best to forget.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Only really two football clubs in Glasgow. Partick Thistle and Queens Park . For the other poor excuses, the swear filter will take most of it out.

bigwheel
06-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Daft club with a daft ground from a horrible city that time is trying its best to forget.

I'm guessing you are just having a laugh....Thistle are a great little club...I think it's magic these fans choose to follow them rather that the ugly sisters...and as for your comment about Glasgow - if it's not a wind up, then it tells me you have not really spent any decent amount of time in the city - great city with it's own style and character

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

guthrie01
06-08-2017, 10:24 AM
A sudden obsession with Partick Thistle this past week...

Yeah good on them for supporting a non old firm team but do we really need constant posts and its own thread congratulationing them :rolleyes:

The_Horde
06-08-2017, 10:25 AM
All it would take would be for them to hire Peter Houston or someone like him and these threads would disappear.

I seem to remember threads like these for Falkirk a few years back.

Juice-Terry
06-08-2017, 10:33 AM
Absolutely.

Surely it's even MORE romantic to join in with supporters from other clubs to sing hateful songs about genuniely hate-meriting institutions like HOMFC? :agree:

NYHibby
06-08-2017, 10:37 AM
As someone from the city you're not fond of, Kelvingrove is in Yorkhill not Partick, I used to live pretty much across the road from it! I also don't think Partick is "posh" in the slightest, it's full of students, it's a nice area but not posh! In fact walking down Dumbarton road reminds me a bit of Leith Walk. They moved up to Maryhill in 1908 so have been there longer than they were in Partick. I have a fair number of friends who support them who come from all over the city and their community foundation is excellent at getting young people from the area into football. They're s very well run wee team and I have nothing but respect for them.

Excuse my geographical ignorance, I get off at Partick when going to the gallery. I suppose it depends on your subjective view of posh, as I'd say leith is posh now too [emoji6]

You'll have a fair walk then!! If you are taking the Subway I would suggest getting off at Kelvinhall, it's the closest to the Gallery. Hillhead and Kelvinbridge are also closer but further away than Kelvinhall. I'm not saying some places around here aren't posh, just that Partick isn't particulalry imo, you'll find the "west end wendies" further up in Hyndland, Dowanhill, Kelvinbrige and Park Circus :wink:

If you're getting the lower level then getting off either partick or the exhibition centre would leave a 15 mins walk to the gallery. I'd personally come out of the station & get the subway to Kelvinhall. Or even the number 2 bus that drops you off outside the front door.

In case anyone is confused:
1. Partick Thistle do no play in Patrick
2. Patrick itself is not that nice of a place. I consider average for Glasgow
3. Maryhill, where Partick Thistle actually play, is also just average
4. Patrick and Maryhill are probably nicer than most areas in Leith
5. If going to Kelvingrove, get off the subway at Kelvinhall. Although Patrick Station does work if you take the low level train from Edinburgh.

joe breezy
06-08-2017, 10:40 AM
Its Partick not Patrick 😄

bigwheel
06-08-2017, 10:43 AM
In case anyone is confused:
1. Partick Thistle do no play in Patrick
2. Patrick itself is not that nice of a place. I consider average for Glasgow
3. Maryhill, where Partick Thistle actually play, is also just average
4. Patrick and Maryhill are probably nicer than most areas in Leith
5. If going to Kelvingrove, get off the subway at Kelvinhall. Although Patrick Station does work if you take the low level train from Edinburgh.

KelvinbrIdge would be a better station for Kelvingrove would it not? And not too bad for Firhill either....

Since90+2
06-08-2017, 10:52 AM
Like them cause they're a 'proper' Glasgow side supported by locals (and students).

Sorry but that's nonsense. Most locals in Glasgow support Celtic or Rangers. Yes , both old firm teams have fans from all over Scotland but the vast majority of Glaswegians support Celtic or Rangers not Partick.

IAmLee
06-08-2017, 10:56 AM
KelvinbrIdge would be a better station for Kelvingrove would it not? And not too bad for Firhill either....

No. Kelvinhall is closer by about 5mins, but you get a nice stroll through the park if you get off at Kelvinbridge :)

NYHibby
06-08-2017, 11:04 AM
I may be alone in this but here goes. I'm Hibs through and through and don't have an affiliation to any other club, I don't have an English team etc but i find Partick Thistle an intriguing bunch. Some of their fans are eccentric to say the least and I respect the fact that they aren't the OF. We all love our respective clubs and it's unconditional but I like Partick. They are a strange lot in a good way and the are the one club (proffesional) that do their city proud. Maybe I have fond memories of Chick Charnley in the green and white I don't know but they are a decent club and i do have a soft spot for them. Thoughts on Thistle?

All it would take would be for them to hire Peter Houston or someone like him and these threads would disappear.

Yeah, I think it is easy to over romanticise Partick Thistle. Their fans are not really any different than anyone else in the western half of the central belt that supports someone other than the Old Firm. Falkirk fans are probably a pretty good comparison.

The real eccentric fans support Queens Park.

Partick Thistle used to have an element of more middle class fans and professionals who moved to Glasgow from other parts of the UK. These people were opposed to the sectarianism and thus defaulted to Partick Thistle, but they were not that active of fans. They needed a team in order to make small talk in the office for example.

Over the past five to ten years, a sizeable chuck of that good of people started to support the Warriors instead, which is part of the reason why Warriors attendances have quadrupled and most games sell out.

High-On-Hibs
06-08-2017, 11:06 AM
Partick Thistle fans were St Mirren fans in disguise yesterday. Booed at every single opportunity to try and con the referee.

RyeSloan
06-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Wow some of the disparaging remarks about a decent side with a decent support really makes me wonder what some fans think football is all about.

They deserve credit for the size of support they brought and good on them for having the wherewithal to maintain an existence in the face of the old firm.

I know a couple of Partick fans and that always come across as guys that like football, have a passion for their club but decent respect for others including Hibs. A few on this thread could learn a thing or two from them I would suggest.

High-On-Hibs
06-08-2017, 11:15 AM
Wow some of the disparaging remarks about a decent side with a decent support really makes me wonder what some fans think football is all about.

They deserve credit for the size of support they brought and good on them for having the wherewithal to maintain an existence in the face of the old firm.

I know a couple of Partick fans and that always come across as guys that like football, have a passion for their club but decent respect for others including Hibs. A few on this thread could learn a thing or two from them I would suggest.

Don't really get the whole "well done for not supporting the old firm" rubbish.

It's like congratulating someone for not being a complete douche.

Hibbyradge
06-08-2017, 11:26 AM

Indeed. If they'd beaten us yesterday, this patronising love-in wouldn't exist.

Hi Heid Yin
06-08-2017, 11:31 AM

:top marks

Keith_M
06-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Glasgow is mixed, but in my experience Partick is like Morningside. Are you suggesting there are no "normal" people in Morningside? The OP was questioning why some of their fans seem a bit eccentric. In my opinion, it is possibly to do with their origins from a part of Glasgow which does not fit the No Mean City stereotype.

Partick's core support is from and around Maryhill. That's about as different from Morningside as you can get.

The idea that they'e supported by a load of luvvies is pure fantasy, trust me.

Keith_M
06-08-2017, 11:39 AM

Daft is the word... but that's enough about you.

NYHibby
06-08-2017, 11:39 AM

Bit of a straw man post here?

I don't see any disparaging remarks. Half the posts are saying that they are average football fans but that they don't have any sort of moral superiority. The other half are Glasgow tourist information. Speaking as a resident of Glasgow, this is probably the most positive Glasgow thread on this site (not that that is saying much...)

06-08-2017, 11:44 AM
Choosing not to take the easy, glory hunting option and opting to support one of the OF goes for everyone, not just people in or around Glasgow. Theres plenty born and bred Edinburgh folk who have chose an OF club rather than an Edinburgh side so they can have more bragging rights and sense of superiority over everyone.

Yes, I realise the temptation is probably greater for those in or near Glasgow but lets not kid ourselves for a minute that all these PT fans made some great moral choice to not go to the OF.

On twitter, theres quite a few of them that come across as total roasters.

partickthistle
08-08-2017, 12:00 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if there is as many Partick Thistle outside of Glasgow support the club as from the city, I actually spent the majority of my life travelling from Linlithgow to Firhill, I only moved to Glasgow in 2003 for work purposes as was getting expensive commuting from Linlithgow. We even have a supporters bus travels from the East coast to Firhill - albeit just a mini bus.

Thanks for the kind comments - it is a shame that more fans in Glasgow do not come and watch us we are the only club in the city that gives free entry to everyone under 16. Queens Park too deserve far ebtter crowds