PDA

View Full Version : Martin the squirrel Boyle

21sMay
05-08-2017, 09:06 PM
What an improvement this man has made to his game since the end of last season. Lennon seems to really like him and I think he will play a major part this season. Good on him and surely any hibs fans can't help but love this guy

Ilovehibs
05-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Love the guy. Wholehearted and talented. Not always the best finisher but end product is improving.

Love you squirrel.

Hibbyradge
05-08-2017, 09:12 PM
He was brilliant today. In attack and defence.

He and Simon Murray are developing a good understanding.

I'm excited.

Hi Heid Yin
05-08-2017, 09:18 PM
Boyle has moved onto another level. He now has added an end-product to his game, either assisting or scoring or being more heavily involved in our build-up play.
He is a joy to watch when in full flow.
He appears to now believe in himself, and this is where Lennon is instrumental in getting the best out of a player.
Neil Lennon, I'm sure, has gotten into Martin Boyles head and convinced him that he is indeed a good player. Doubt has been replaced by confidence and Boyle is now playing a 'fear-free' game.
Long may it continue.

21sMay
05-08-2017, 09:28 PM
[QUOTE=Lennon's Lip;5131855]Boyle has moved onto another level. He now has added an end-product to his game, either assisting or scoring or being more heavily involved in our build-up play.
He appears to now believe in himself, and this is where Lennon is instrumental in getting the best out of a player.
Neil Lennon, I'm sure, has gotten into Martin Boyles head and convinced him that he is indeed a good player. Doubt has been replaced by confidence and Boyle is now playing a 'fear-free' game.
Long may it continue

Too reply! You should have started this thread with a post like that. I'm just not as good with words as you seem to be.
I find him a joy to watch at times and he excites me, which is one of the reasons I buy a season ticket every year

heretoday
05-08-2017, 09:29 PM
In the second half we should have been just feeding him all the time. He was obviously fancying it. But we didn't and after the third goal he wasn't utilised as he should have been.

He's not the most intelligent of players but he is lightening fast. He's no good with his back to the goal but given a full-back to run at...................we're talking Arthur Duncan.

Hi Heid Yin
05-08-2017, 09:31 PM
[QUOTE=Lennon's Lip;5131855]Boyle has moved onto another level. He now has added an end-product to his game, either assisting or scoring or being more heavily involved in our build-up play.
Long may it continue

Too reply! You should have started this thread with a post like that. I'm just not as good with words as you seem to be.
I find him a joy to watch at times and he excites me, which is one of the reasons I buy a season ticket every year

Thanks fellow Hibby.

Hi Heid Yin
05-08-2017, 09:43 PM
In the second half we should have been just feeding him all the time. He was obviously fancying it. But we didn't and after the third goal he wasn't utilised as he should have been.

He's not the most intelligent of players but he is lightening fast. He's no good with his back to the goal but given a full-back to run at...................we're talking Arthur Duncan.

Boyle, I'm sure, was told by Lennon during the game to drop back a bit to allow Whittaker to go foraging. I questioned this myself when I noticed Boyle playing deeper in his own half, but then it made sense.
Boyle also drifted out to the far left during one passage of play, as though looking to be involved. He's no defender, but his speed is indeed an asset should an opposing pacey player threaten to get past/ take-out our right back.
Neil Lennon has worked wonders with Boyle and helped take him up to another level, but the intelligence aspect of Boyle's game, namely: when to run, when to hold back, when to drop off, when to release a ball, is still a work in progress. Should he comfortably incorporate all the elements into his game, then we will have one hell of a player on our hands.

Ozyhibby
05-08-2017, 09:43 PM
Boyle has also bulked up, so is not as easily pushed around anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Heid Yin
05-08-2017, 09:46 PM
Boyle has also bulked up, so is not as easily pushed around anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed this too during the game and actually commented on it.
You are dead right.

Bob Box Fish
05-08-2017, 09:47 PM
He's came on brilliantly under Lennon.

neil7908
05-08-2017, 09:48 PM
Get him signed up to a longer deal ASAP. We've got a multi million pound player on our hands. With Lennon in charge I think he's only going to get better.

GreenNWhiteArmy
05-08-2017, 09:49 PM
He's improving all the time. We got him as a raw pacy forward.

Stubbsy worked well with him but he was far too inconsistent. Since NL has come in he has completely transformed and taken his game to another level (freak me baby)

It just goes to show how having the right attitude and dedication to the game can go a long way to developing you. Keep it up Boyler.

Tbh he's already a legend for his post Scottish Cup win antics

heretoday
05-08-2017, 09:50 PM
Boyle, I'm sure, was told by Lennon during the game to drop back a bit to allow Whittaker to go foraging. I questioned this myself when I noticed Boyle playing deeper in his own half, but then it made sense.
Boyle also drifted out to the far left during one passage of play, as though looking to be involved. He's no defender, but his speed is indeed an asset should an opposing pacey player threaten to get past/ take-out our right back.
Neil Lennon has worked wonders with Boyle and helped take him up to another level, but the intelligence aspect of Boyle's game, namely: when to run, when to hold back, when to drop off, when to release a ball, is still a work in progress. Should he comfortably incorporate all the elements into his game, then we will have one hell of a player on our hands.

He did drift left at a point in the second half. But I maintain that his speed is the thing. He should attacking at all times. He's a machine.

Hi Heid Yin
05-08-2017, 09:58 PM
He did drift left at a point in the second half. But I maintain that his speed is the thing. He should attacking at all times. He's a machine.

I couldn't agree more.
Memories of our wee super-hare, Ivan Sproule, and that scintillating hat trick at Ibrox spring to mind.
Boyle, I feel is actually threatening to be a better 'all-round- player than Sproule, and I don't say that lightly. Ivan is a legend and one of my all-time Hibby heroes.

yonder1875
05-08-2017, 10:03 PM
Love Boyler, gonna be huge for us this season.

Vault Boy
05-08-2017, 10:03 PM
He's the kind of player that other teams have had in the past that have torn us apart during our downward spell. I'm damn glad he's playing for us and not against us, that's for certain. Absolutely unstoppable when he gets going, works incredibly hard and always improving technically.

Hi Heid Yin
05-08-2017, 10:05 PM
He's the kind of player that other teams have had in the past that have torn us apart during our downward spell. I'm damn glad he's playing for us and not against us, that's for certain. Absolutely unstoppable when he gets going, works incredibly hard and always improving technically.

I couldn't agree more

matty_f
05-08-2017, 10:07 PM
Players with pace are invaluable, they terrify defenders and when you add in the intelligence and work ethic that we're seeing from Boyle under Lennon, then you start to get a real impact from the player.

I thought Boyle finished last season strongly, and looks like he's kicked on from there. He'll be a key player this season.

Thecat23
05-08-2017, 10:08 PM
What a difference with pace in the side. Martin has improved hugely and had a very good game today. Lennon will be delighted with him.

DTS
05-08-2017, 10:09 PM
Boyle along with pretty much the rest of the squad look 100x more physically fit under Lennon than when he first came in, Boyle and McGinn are the best examples of it

Hi Heid Yin
05-08-2017, 10:09 PM
Players with pace are invaluable, they terrify defenders and when you add in the intelligence and work ethic that we're seeing from Boyle under Lennon, then you start to get a real impact from the player.

I thought Boyle finished last season strongly, and looks like he's kicked on from there. He'll be a key player this season.

:agree::agree:

calumhibee1
05-08-2017, 10:14 PM
I've always liked Boyle but I always thought he'd have been a squad player/super sub. Now I've got to admit, I'd say he's one of the first 3 or 4 names on the team sheet for me and should be starting every single week. He's never a let down.

18Hibee75
05-08-2017, 10:54 PM
He's a player that before pre season if you had seen the squad we had come first game of season, he would be one of the players you wouldve have thought would maybe be left out and benched quite a lot. Certainly not now though, he's just added to Neil Lennons headache and it seems impossible to leave him out, scares the hell out of defenders and whips in a good delivery. Wonder where his position will be for this season though.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

horseflesh
05-08-2017, 10:56 PM
Pace strikes the fear of death into the opposition. You don't need to use it, you just need to have it.

maturehibby
05-08-2017, 11:00 PM
Not there yet but beginning to play a bit like the Legend Ivan

southern hibby
05-08-2017, 11:07 PM
What got me ( if the rumours I heard are correct ) Aberdeen rated him and wanted him. I've rated him since day one. Not that I'm any judge of a player but Boyle for me had this never let your head go down attitude.

He tried, got beat but there he was back up and at you attitude. Can honestly say he's a joy to watch and I'd rather have him playing for us than against

GGTTH

Captain Trips
06-08-2017, 12:42 AM
Boyle was great today and he will probably forever cause us a little frustration by beating one or two men then blazing it over.

Key player though regardless if he scores or misses he will require to be defended against and he looks like he is murder to defend. He will create chances with his runs and his very presence.

hfc rd
06-08-2017, 01:21 AM
He's developed into being one of our biggest attacking threats and a key player for us. Teams are now double-marking him which shows the respect they have for squirrel. Really has improved a lot under NL.

green day
06-08-2017, 06:26 AM
Anyone see the Alba interview? Either Boyle is quite small or Whitty is an absolute giant!

scooby
06-08-2017, 06:34 AM
Anyone see the Alba interview? Either Boyle is quite small or Whitty is an absolute giant!

Whittaker is bigger than I remember too.

Leith Green
06-08-2017, 06:53 AM
I remember a derby in 2015 when he 1st signed on loan . He played wing back and totally bossed the flank that day. Eckersley im sure was their left back that day and Boyle owned him

Dashing Bob S
06-08-2017, 07:21 AM
We're nuts about Squizza

RyeSloan
06-08-2017, 08:23 AM
Boyle was great today and he will probably forever cause us a little frustration by beating one or two men then blazing it over.

Key player though regardless if he scores or misses he will require to be defended against and he looks like he is murder to defend. He will create chances with his runs and his very presence.

He did that second half (blaze it over) and he lay on the ground thumping the pitch in frustration...when we were 3-1 up!

Love the guy, his attitude and his skills....as per SM he has much more than just pace and if he continues to develop will be one hell of a player!

H18 SFR
06-08-2017, 09:40 AM
As just about every second person has pointed out, Boyle's game continues to improve. If there is further improvement between say now and Oct/Nov, I'd look to tie him down on a longer contract than the two year deal he's just signed.

Sir David Gray
06-08-2017, 09:46 AM
I have to admit that I was wrong about him. I said last season that I wasn't fussed if he signed a new deal or not as I didn't feel he was good enough for where we wanted to be.

However his start to this season has been superb and he has really improved his all round game. If he keeps this up, he will be vital for us this season.

eastcoasthibby
06-08-2017, 10:16 AM
I think NL has got into his head and removed the thinking that Boyle had, that he was or wanted to be seen as playing through the middle up front, I think he has convinced him that he can do much more damage to teams as a very pacey wide player and still get plenty goal opportunities.
Creating loads for us so far and working his backside of as well, good to see where he is just now.

06-08-2017, 10:37 AM
LOVE Martin Boyle. Liked him ever since he signed but what an improvement he has made to his game over the last year.

Great pace, wish his finishing was better at times but he causes defenders no end of hassle. He will play a big part this season.

Kevvy1875
06-08-2017, 12:06 PM
Fantastic to see Boyle getting deserved recognition for his contribution and improving performances under the guidance of Lennon. Like others have mentioned it would appear that he now backs himself more on the pitch and really does use his main weapon(pace) whenever he can. He has clearly improved his upper body strength too making him almost impossible to ease off the ball when in full flight without actually bringing him down.....also when he does get tackled and ends up on the floor have you ever seen anyone get back up so quickly? He's like a jack in the box.
End product....still his main weakness but defo has improved also. If he can raise his level there by a few % then we will have some player on our hands. Out and out pace like his is a precious commodity in today's game and can be worth millions.
No one in the Hibs squad had improved their game more than Boyle in the last year. Keep it up Martin......love watching you terrorize the opposition!

HibbiesandtheBaddies
06-08-2017, 12:14 PM
By far our most improved player. Far better decision making and as others have said looks stronger as well. My MOM yesterday.

Iggy Pope
06-08-2017, 12:16 PM
Sums up the mentality of the side I reckon and the 2nd half ball that he chased down to usher out in the right back position to get flattened by Calum Booth sums him up for me. Tireless and plays, literally everywhere.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2017, 12:26 PM
I feel that Boyle is more confident these days, because he's not being subbed or starting 1 game in 3. He's grown into a 1st choice pick.

Lennon must take some credit for this, and Boyle too for making himself one of the first players on the team sheet.

Let's hope he improves even further, and he adds more assists and goals to his game.

1van Sprou7e
06-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Might have to change my username to Mart1n Boy7e soon :greengrin

neil7908
06-08-2017, 12:40 PM
By far our most improved player. Far better decision making and as others have said looks stronger as well. My MOM yesterday.

I'd agree Boyle edged it over Murray. Scored a vital goal to equalise, one us a penalty and set up the chance when Murray hit the post with a lovely run and cross to the back post.

He'll still make mistakes and wrong decisions but he's a player that really gets you on your feet when he picks up the ball.

With our current squad he's actually the player, alongside McGinn I'm most worried about getting injured. We don't have anyone like him in our squad. Can't wait to see you him and Stokes going at New Co's defence next week.