PDA

View Full Version : James Collins

RedHibby
05-08-2017, 08:02 PM
I see he got a hatrick today for Luton Town.

Mantis Toboggan
05-08-2017, 08:04 PM
Why on a great day like today would you reintroduce the idea of James Collins to the board.

Hibernia&Alba
05-08-2017, 08:07 PM
Nothing against the guy, and I'm glad he's found his level, but we could have done without flushing that £200,000 down the toilet.

Greencore
05-08-2017, 08:09 PM
Nothing against the guy, and I'm glad he's found his level, but we could have done without flushing that £200,000 down the toilet.

Didn't we get it back when we sold him?

Mibbes Aye
05-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Why on a great day like today would you reintroduce the idea of James Collins to the board.

Feel a bit sorry for Collins.

He didn't deliver for us, but not through lack of effort. It just didn't click.

He's consistently scored, very consistently, elsewhere at a rate of 1 in 3 or usually higher, so he knows how to find the net. One can compare the levels he is playing at but he's scored enough at different clubs to say he's a decent goalscorer.

Sometimes things don't work out. It just didn't work out for him at Hibs.

High-On-Hibs
05-08-2017, 08:12 PM
If you put James Colins in this Hibs team, he probably would score goals. Not all the players we had over the past several years were utter guff, some were just surrounded by it.

Famous Fiver
05-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Sounds like he p*shed it!

calumhibee1
05-08-2017, 08:13 PM
Useless *******.

DH1875
05-08-2017, 08:15 PM
If you put James Colins in this Hibs team, he probably would score goals. Not all the players we had over the past several years were utter guff, some were just surrounded by it.

He was pretty pish to be fair.

high bee
05-08-2017, 08:20 PM

Definitely, he was still relatively young and got frustrated by the lack of goals and think it became a vicious cycle.

Mantis Toboggan
05-08-2017, 08:20 PM

Was just too limited. The SPL is a much better standard than League 1 despite what people will try and tell you.

Carheenlea
05-08-2017, 08:22 PM
Can remember thinking at at an away day to Ross County in the cup (the Ross Caldwell/Terry Butcher sub fracas) that we were seeing what James Collins was all about. He had pace, power and looked every bit the dangerous striker we hoped. Sadly that day proved to be a bit of a one off and it never really happened for him with us.

tamig
05-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Andy Shinnie also got two assists for Luton today. I think James Collins gets a lot of unfair criticism on here. He was a player who tried his heart out at Hibs and his relatively poor goal return was pretty much down to poor service and tactics. Still, he did the business against hertz and that's never a bad thing.

alihibs1
05-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Shinnie assisting 2 of them aswell.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

CorrieHibs
05-08-2017, 08:36 PM

Luton town in league 2 is his level.

Well done to the guy, but he wasn't good enough for the Scottish premier league

My_Wife_Camille
05-08-2017, 08:39 PM
Abysmal player best left in the past

DavidDavidGray
05-08-2017, 08:49 PM
James Collins was humpty, can't see why some people on here defend him. Dreadful player

High-On-Hibs
05-08-2017, 08:50 PM

Stevenson and Hanlon were pretty pish during that time as well. But put some decent players around them and suddenly they don't look so bad.

heretoday
05-08-2017, 08:52 PM
Luton.

Blue Nun! :LOL:

Hillsidehibby
05-08-2017, 08:54 PM
Luton. The arse wipe of the world.

chrisski33
05-08-2017, 09:20 PM

So what

Nameless
05-08-2017, 09:25 PM
So whatSo what, so what.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
05-08-2017, 09:26 PM
A decent if limited footballer who was surrounded by dross and let his confidence drop to rock bottom levels.

I'm sure he'd do well with us nowadays, funnily enough. Wish him well at Luton.

DH1875
05-08-2017, 09:29 PM
Stevenson and Hanlon were pretty pish during that time as well. But put some decent players around them and suddenly they don't look so bad.

I actually don't agree with that at all :confused:

calumhibee1
05-08-2017, 09:30 PM
Was just too limited. The SPL is a much better standard than League 1 despite what people will try and tell you.

Yup. Celtic would hose league one and probably the championship down there. Us Aberdeen and Rangers when not self imploding would easily hold our own in mid table in the Championship. And that's without the money they get. Players coming to the bigger clubs in Scotland from League One and below are making a step up.

Not In The Know
05-08-2017, 09:36 PM
He is the perfect example of an over rated and over paid English player. Found his level of football now but gets paid more than he would prob ever get in Scotland.

Borderhibbie76
06-08-2017, 08:56 AM
He is the perfect example of an over rated and over paid English player. Found his level of football now but gets paid more than he would prob ever get in Scotland.Indeed he was humpty regardless of who player round him...it just probes English League 1 and 2 is well below Scots Prem standard...despite what the English media and Sky would have us believe

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

jacomo
06-08-2017, 09:16 AM

Both were young and still learning.

I remember both were the subject of endless threads on here - LS not good enough, PH too easily bullied etc.

Being charitable you could say the same for James Collins as he was only 21/22 when he joined Hibs. But he was the wrong player at the wrong time. We needed goals and he never looked like providing enough of them.

MyJo
06-08-2017, 09:01 PM
still hate him with a passion he was that bad for us.

signed for a fee, meant to have been our star striker and scored 6 goals in 36 games, no ****ing wonder we were relgated.

Billy McKirdy
06-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Luton. The arse wipe of the world.

You must be a Watford fan 😂 the Hatters are my English team 😁

Borderhibbie76
06-08-2017, 09:47 PM
You must be a Watford fan [emoji23] the Hatters are my English team [emoji16]I had the misfortune of working in Luton.for a few months about 10 years ago...im afraid it really.is the arsewipe of England...dreadful place [emoji85]

Firestarter
06-08-2017, 10:06 PM
Heffernan and Rowan Vine where far, far worse as what that boy Danny someone who was decent down South but ended up brutal for us.

Billy McKirdy
06-08-2017, 10:21 PM
I had the misfortune of working in Luton.for a few months about 10 years ago...im afraid it really.is the arsewipe of England...dreadful place [emoji85]

Aye, it's only marginally better than Govan, not really much to commend it is there? still, been a Luton fan over 30 years and always will be 😎

Hfcwilson3192
07-08-2017, 02:19 AM
Im I right in thinking we could have bought Leigh for 175k but passed on that to then pay 200k for this utter dumpling? Woeful.

HoboHarry
07-08-2017, 02:29 AM
Im I right in thinking we could have bought Leigh for 175k but passed on that to then pay 200k for this utter dumpling? Woeful.
I thought that Rod Petrie confirmed that we did not pay 200k for Collins? I seem to remember that this was yet another Hibs.net myth.....

Hfcwilson3192
07-08-2017, 04:39 AM
I thought that Rod Petrie confirmed that we did not pay 200k for Collins? I seem to remember that this was yet another Hibs.net myth.....
God knows mate I would like to think he paid us 200k to pull on our magnificent top.

Spike Mandela
07-08-2017, 06:59 AM
Young lad came to us with good goals record, tried his best, scored against the Jambos but ultimately never worked out for him under a ***** manager.

Give the guy a break and let bygones be bygones.

emerald green
07-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Nothing personal but James Collins is not, and was not, a good enough footballer to be playing for Hibs at that level. He wasn't the only one to be fair.

His first touch when receiving a pass was frequently very poor, and his positional sense and movement wasn't very good either. A donkey.

ian cruise
07-08-2017, 11:32 AM
Anyone think he could still do a job for us?

Anyone?

KWJ
07-08-2017, 12:21 PM

Disagree. Did both not win club player of the year around this time?

Is there a history of fans and players player of the year somewhere?

FilipinoHibs
07-08-2017, 01:07 PM
Disagree. Did both not win club player of the year around this time?

Is there a history of fans and players player of the year somewhere?

Stevenson was slated without mercy on here. COLLINS was inecbut many more a level below the SPL during that period. Confidence of any ok player shot to hell.

Bostonhibby
07-08-2017, 01:11 PM

Anyone?Too late, we already have the players to p15h all over hearts so it's a no from me.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Wilson
07-08-2017, 01:20 PM

Anyone?

On the back of his hat trick for Luton he is getting a bit of air time on sky sports news.

Spoke well and was complimentary of his team mate's contribution to his goals. Not a lot not to like.

Hopefully he has learned from his experiences and is all the better for them.

I won't hold a grudge against a player who tried but ultimately wasn't good enough.

We've moved on and players like Stokes and Murray will do for me.

Nutmegged
07-08-2017, 02:10 PM
I was excited when we signed Collins and hoped he'd become that 20 goal a season striker we needed after losing Griffiths and even Doyle, he had a good strike rate and I'm sure he scored a hattrick against Stoke too in the Cup the season we signed him, he didnt cover himself in glory unfortunately but he wasn't helped by his teammates who were the worst Hibs side I've seen in 25 years.

If Collins had stayed in 2014 I've got no doubt he and Jase would've scored a lot of goals together in the Championship under Stubbs

eastmainsmsh
07-08-2017, 05:15 PM
He looked crap in a crap team back then he was scoring for swindon but never did it unf for us

ian cruise
07-08-2017, 06:41 PM
Too late, we already have the players to p15h all over hearts so it's a no from me.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Sorry tongue was firmly in cheek with that one but smiley was missing as posting from phone.

BILLYHIBS
17-11-2018, 04:51 PM
Hatrick for Luton Town today

What a player!

Lago
17-11-2018, 06:32 PM
Hatrick for Luton Town today

What a player!
For every club he played for, apart from Hibs.

Famous Fiver
17-11-2018, 06:38 PM
He always tried hard at ER and never hid.

BILLYHIBS
17-11-2018, 06:53 PM

:thumbsup:

Squirrel 1875
17-11-2018, 07:06 PM

He said the line!!!’

RedHibby
17-11-2018, 08:14 PM
Butcher had him up top and had the players punting long balls up to him, he is not a big guy so that would not suit his style. I find it rather amusing that he goes back down south and starts scoring goals again, wonder why that happens quite often.:greengrin

Saint Hibee
17-11-2018, 08:21 PM
He just never won a header. Ever. It used to drive me nuts.

we are hibs
17-11-2018, 08:24 PM
He was garbage. Missed a sitter in about 3 derbies against hearts and only played in 5 of them.

calumhibee1
17-11-2018, 08:29 PM
Actually has a much better goals record than I expected of nearly one in three over his career. Thought he would have been around 1 in 5.

silverhibee
17-11-2018, 09:59 PM
F***ing horrible player at Hibs.

Diclonius
17-11-2018, 10:17 PM
I'll never forget his miss in the relegation derby at ER. Of all the ****ty, awful, reality-defying snatching-defeat-from-jaws-of-victory pathetic misses I've seen in derbies, that has to be the absolute worst.

Smartie
17-11-2018, 10:33 PM
He was poor for us, but funnily enough I've thought a few times since he left that he'd have thrived in some of the teams we've had since. Stubbs' team looked like it was needing a player like him a few times.

The service to him was poor, he had some awful players to play up front with but still managed to miss a few too many chances.

It wasn't for a lack of effort though, and he's done well elsewhere so fair play to him.

eastterrace
17-11-2018, 10:44 PM
He was poor for us, but funnily enough I've thought a few times since he left that he'd have thrived in some of the teams we've had since. Stubbs' team looked like it was needing a player like him a few times.

The service to him was poor, he had some awful players to play up front with but still managed to miss a few too many chances.

It wasn't for a lack of effort though, and he's done well elsewhere so fair play to him.

Yes service was poor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AK86
18-11-2018, 04:07 AM
He was pants. That's a fact.
He had duds like Fenlon and butcher in charge , but he couldn't control as pass or get to grips with Scottish fitba. Well rid

renato
18-11-2018, 07:10 AM
I'll never forget his miss in the relegation derby at ER. Of all the ****ty, awful, reality-defying snatching-defeat-from-jaws-of-victory pathetic misses I've seen in derbies, that has to be the absolute worst.

It was absolutely appalling. Magnified of course by the fact it was against them, yet again.

I thought he’d be a cracking signing as well, delighted when we got him :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
18-11-2018, 08:59 AM
I am with most of the posters on here on this one.

I remember him scoring in the Ne Er Derby in a 2-1 win January 2014 the winner was scored by a certain Liam Craig from the penalty spot

I have no doubt that both these players tried their best for HIBS always conducted themselves in a professional manner and always gave 100% but for one reason or another for both it didn’t work out.

I remember it took a certain Jason Cummings about twenty games to score his first goal

Not a good time to be a HIBS player and an even worse time to be a fan!

edit:

Jase scored a double on his seventeenth appearance versus Hamilton away in the play off final first leg a match we won 2-0 ��

calumhibee1
18-11-2018, 09:12 AM
I am with most of the posters on here on this one.

I remember him scoring in the Ne Er Derby in a 2-1 win January 2014 the winner was scored by a certain Liam Craig from the penalty spot

I have no doubt that both these players tried their best for HIBS always conducted themselves in a professional manner and always gave 100% but for one reason or another for both it didn’t work out.

I remember it took a certain Jason Cummings about twenty games to score his first goal

Not a good time to be a HIBS player and an even worse time to be a fan!

To be fair to Cummings he was no long turned 18 and had been playing for Hutchison Vale only a matter of months before his debut. The idea of chucking him in at the time seemed to make sense because we were so desperate but looking back on it now it was utter madness. Imagine this seasons Dundee team signed an 18 year old laddie from Hutchison Vale and threw him in as their main striker 3 months later, we’d rightly think they were absolutely bonkers.

BILLYHIBS
18-11-2018, 09:15 AM
To be fair to Cummings he was no long turned 18 and had been playing for Hutchison Vale only a matter of months before his debut. The idea of chucking him in at the time seemed to make sense because we were so desperate but looking back on it now it was utter madness. Imagine this seasons Dundee team signed an 18 year old laddie from Hutchison Vale and threw him in as their main striker 3 months later, we’d rightly think they were absolutely bonkers.

Agree with this 100%

An even worse decision to allow him to take the decisive penalty when there were more senior players standing watching

calumhibee1
18-11-2018, 09:17 AM
Agree with this 100%

An even worse decision to allow him to take the decisive penalty when there were more senior players standing watching

I was actually fairly confident of him scoring that penalty. Shows what I know. He should have chipped it :greengrin

The 90+2
18-11-2018, 11:06 AM
That miss against them when I had Hibs -1 😡