PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Partick 5 August)

Jonnyboy
05-08-2017, 06:38 PM
It really was Sunshine on Leith today as throngs of green and white clad supporters descended upon Easter Road. The festival atmosphere in Edinburgh was replicated in Leith with the advent of the ‘pop-up bar’ outside the East Stand being very reminiscent of a fringe venue. The party started with the unfurling of the Championship flag and the home fans were in the mood to sing with the old Section 43 area starting the ball rolling by belting out songs. The new singing section, high up in the Famous Five stand, never stopped singing for the whole game although I confess that from my seat in the East their fine efforts didn’t seem to travel down the length of the park. Don’t give up guys and gals; keep doing what you’re doing. In fairness, the tannoy blasting out music didn’t help their cause and I hanker for the days when the fans did all the singing, not some nameless pop stars!
As to the game I thought Hibs started a little nervously with the midfield failing to keep possession. That encouraged Thistle to push forward and they got their reward when dismal marking in the 18 yard box allowed Chris Erskine to fire low past Rocky. Thankfully that goal proved a wakeup call to Hibs and they got on the front foot, closing the Thistle midfield down and forcing the visitors to defend deep. The equaliser, when it came, saw a little bit of luck when McGinn’s low ball into the box was deflected to the unmarked Boyle at the back post. The manner in which the ball arrived may have been lucky but the finish by Squirrel was deadly accurate. He nearly scored again soon after but ex-Hibee Callum Booth got back in time to foil him.

With Hibs dominating it wasn’t long before a second goal came along and this was a thing of some beauty. Swanson and McGeouch combined for Danny to sweep a low ball into the six yard box where Steven Whittaker met it beautifully with the outside of his right foot to screw the ball beyond the diving keeper. I heard a guy behind me speculate that there was an element of luck but even without my green tinted glasses I could see what Whitty intended to do as it was a very clever finish. Just on half time, Efe and Erskine both over-stretched in an attempt to win a loose ball. Both were hurt and Efe was booked which I thought at the time was a bit harsh. Both players received treatment but only Efe left the field of play before the game restarted. This brought howls of derision from the home stands with many fans unaware that if a fouling player is booked the fouled person need not leave the field after treatment.

The second half started much better than the first for Hibs with clever interplay seeing Booth haul down Martin Boyle in the box. I expected Danny Swanson to take the kick but that task fell to Simon Murray who sent the keeper the wrong way. After that I felt Hibs took their foot off the gas a bit and Thistle began to enjoy more possession but in truth they were found wanting in trying to break through a very resolute defence. With twenty minutes left, Stokes replaced Swanson to loud cheering from the home stands. He’s not up to game pace yet but one brilliant wee cameo moment, when he had three defenders around him alongside the dugouts, saw him juggle his way into space before sending a brilliant ball down the wing to McGinn. Hibs were now back in charge and the only other things of real note were a fine save by Rocky when the ball came through a ruck of players and he must have seen it late; and the culmination of the midfield battle between McGinn and Osman when the Hibs man was booked. It was simply a matter of time before one or the other got a yellow card and John probably can’t complain!

So, how did each player get on?

Rocky – no chance with the goal and little else to do other than the save I mentioned earlier

Whitty – getting better by the minute. Got up and down the line well and his goal was a beauty. SDG has a fight on his hands for the right back slot

Efe – a couple of hairy moments but yet another pipe and slippers performance from Mr. cool under pressure

Paul Hanlon – like he’s never been away. Reads the game very well and he basically strolled through this one

Lewis – the wee man must be the best at the club in taking care of the ball. Like Darren McGregor, he never gives the ball away

Squirrel – is like a different player this season. A real handful for opposing defenders and Thistle had done their homework, double marking him, not that it did them much good

Marv – the man is colossal and yet very mobile when he needs to be. Took a sore one in a collision with Whitty.

Super John – thought he flitted in and out of the game although more in than out. Maybe I just expect brilliance from him every week!

Dylan – once again, touch wood, no sign of an injury breakdown. I said to my brother at the game that I thought Dylan was the only player in our ranks with the skill to produce a Scott Allan type ball

Danny Swanson – the wee man needs a goal. I feel he’s trying too hard at the minute but that goal will come soon, I’m sure

Simon Murray – if that laddie isn’t sponsored by Duracell he bloody well should be! Never stops but there is far more to his game than that. Led the line well and will trouble a good few defences in the months ahead

Stokesy – a few glimpses of the class we know he has and it’s only going to get better from hereon in

Slivka – not really on long enough to make his mark although I felt he provided good protection to Whitty after Squirrel was moved over to the left

Fraser Murray – only got five minutes but I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Fraser looks right at home in the first team environment. Might have scored late on but the Stokes pass releasing him into the box was hit just a little too firmly

Referee – better than Willie Collum was last week

Fans – brilliant, just brilliant!

My man of the match had three contenders in Whitty, Efe and Simon Murray with my vote matching the sponsors as the Duracell man was their selection

silverhibee
05-08-2017, 07:02 PM
It really was Sunshine on Leith today as throngs of green and white clad supporters descended upon Easter Road. The festival atmosphere in Edinburgh was replicated in Leith with the advent of the ‘pop-up bar’ outside the East Stand being very reminiscent of a fringe venue. The party started with the unfurling of the Championship flag and the home fans were in the mood to sing with the old Section 43 area starting the ball rolling by belting out songs. The new singing section, high up in the Famous Five stand, never stopped singing for the whole game although I confess that from my seat in the East their fine efforts didn’t seem to travel down the length of the park. Don’t give up guys and gals; keep doing what you’re doing. In fairness, the tannoy blasting out music didn’t help their cause and I hanker for the days when the fans did all the singing, not some nameless pop stars!
As to the game I thought Hibs started a little nervously with the midfield failing to keep possession. That encouraged Thistle to push forward and they got their reward when dismal marking in the 18 yard box allowed Chris Erskine to fire low past Rocky. Thankfully that goal proved a wakeup call to Hibs and they got on the front foot, closing the Thistle midfield down and forcing the visitors to defend deep. The equaliser, when it came, saw a little bit of luck when McGinn’s low ball into the box was deflected to the unmarked Boyle at the back post. The manner in which the ball arrived may have been lucky but the finish by Squirrel was deadly accurate. He nearly scored again soon after but ex-Hibee Callum Booth got back in time to foil him.

With Hibs dominating it wasn’t long before a second goal came along and this was a thing of some beauty. Swanson and McGeouch combined for Danny to sweep a low ball into the six yard box where Steven Whittaker met it beautifully with the outside of his right foot to screw the ball beyond the diving keeper. I heard a guy behind me speculate that there was an element of luck but even without my green tinted glasses I could see what Whitty intended to do as it was a very clever finish. Just on half time, Efe and Erskine both over-stretched in an attempt to win a loose ball. Both were hurt and Efe was booked which I thought at the time was a bit harsh. Both players received treatment but only Efe left the field of play before the game restarted. This brought howls of derision from the home stands with many fans unaware that if a fouling player is booked the fouled person need not leave the field after treatment.

The second half started much better than the first for Hibs with clever interplay seeing Booth haul down Martin Boyle in the box. I expected Danny Swanson to take the kick but that task fell to Simon Murray who sent the keeper the wrong way. After that I felt Hibs took their foot off the gas a bit and Thistle began to enjoy more possession but in truth they were found wanting in trying to break through a very resolute defence. With twenty minutes left, Stokes replaced Swanson to loud cheering from the home stands. He’s not up to game pace yet but one brilliant wee cameo moment, when he had three defenders around him alongside the dugouts, saw him juggle his way into space before sending a brilliant ball down the wing to McGinn. Hibs were now back in charge and the only other things of real note were a fine save by Rocky when the ball came through a ruck of players and he must have seen it late; and the culmination of the midfield battle between McGinn and Osman when the Hibs man was booked. It was simply a matter of time before one or the other got a yellow card and John probably can’t complain!

Rocky – no chance with the goal and little else to do other than the save I mentioned earlier

Whitty – getting better by the minute. Got up and down the line well and his goal was a beauty. SDG has a fight on his hands for the right back slot

Efe – a couple of hairy moments but yet another pipe and slippers performance from Mr. cool under pressure

Paul Hanlon – like he’s never been away. Reads the game very well and he basically strolled through this one

Lewis – the wee man must be the best at the club in taking care of the ball. Like Darren McGregor, he never gives the ball away

Squirrel – is like a different player this season. A real handful for opposing defenders and Thistle had done their homework, double marking him, not that it did them much good

Marv – the man is colossal and yet very mobile when he needs to be. Took a sore one in a collision with Whitty.

Super John – thought he flitted in and out of the game although more in than out. Maybe I just expect brilliance from him every week!

Dylan – once again, touch wood, no sign of an injury breakdown. I said to my brother at the game that I thought Dylan was the only player in our ranks with the skill to produce a Scott Allan type ball

Danny Swanson – the wee man needs a goal. I feel he’s trying too hard at the minute but that goal will come soon, I’m sure

Simon Murray – if that laddie isn’t sponsored by Duracell he bloody well should be! Never stops but there is far more to his game than that. Led the line well and will trouble a good few defences in the months ahead

Stokesy – a few glimpses of the class we know he has and it’s only going to get better from hereon in

Slivka – not really on long enough to make his mark although I felt he provided good protection to Whitty after Squirrel was moved over to the left

Fraser Murray – only got five minutes but I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Fraser looks right at home in the first team environment. Might have scored late on but the Stokes pass releasing him into the box was hit just a little too firmly

My man of the match had three contenders in Whitty, Efe and Simon Murray with my vote matching the sponsors as the Duracell man was their selection

Cheers for the summary J, looks like a good start for us, hopefully continue it next week. :aok:

Hibbyradge
05-08-2017, 07:26 PM
Thanks again, John. I'm on the train back to York and have a few observations;

Hanlon was a tower. His distribution is fabulous. Our opponents didn't even bother to close him down.

I thought we were calling Squirrel, "Boyler". :wink:

Boyler was immense. My MOM.

That's the first time in many years that I've heard the singing spread like that. Terrific.

Jonnyboy
05-08-2017, 07:29 PM

Hanlon was a tower. His distribution is fabulous. Our opponents didn't even bother to close him down.

You know what they say Dave, one man's Squirrel is another man's Boyler :greengrin

You're right about PH - quality player

Golden Bear
05-08-2017, 07:31 PM

*ugger, can't argue with any of that. 😉

RyeSloan
05-08-2017, 07:36 PM
You know what they say Dave, one man's Squirrel is another man's Boyler :greengrin

You're right about PH - quality player

Yet somehow Paul still seems to have those in the home crowd who wondered if he would be first choice.

Lenny proved again that he knows best by putting Paul straight back into the first team and it would not be a huge surprise to see him finally get a belated Scotland call up if he can stay fit and perform like he has done for the club for a number of seasons now.

O'Rourke3
05-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Thanks JB. Pretty much how I'd have summed things up. Thought Thistle contributed well to a pretty open game and the ref was confusing at time with his application of the rules.

Tricla
05-08-2017, 08:48 PM
Paul Hanlon is immense.

greenlex
05-08-2017, 08:56 PM
Good stuff JC. Efe was extremely culpable at their goal. Wrong side of his man and slow to react. He will be disappointed. .Good performance all round really.

Thecat23
05-08-2017, 09:00 PM

That's the first time in many years that I've heard the singing spread like that. Terrific.

Simon Murray for me was miles ahead of the rest for motm award. What a shift what a player.

Thecat23
05-08-2017, 09:00 PM

Great read J. 👍🏼

Danderhall Hibs
05-08-2017, 09:06 PM
Don't think I disagree with any of that Jonnyboy. McGeough started poorly but recovered - great to see he wasn't doing the usual pre emptive stretching!

Mcgregor will be back in the team for ibrox so who misses out?

hibee_girl
05-08-2017, 09:10 PM
Excellent read Jonnyboy :top marks

matty_f
05-08-2017, 09:21 PM
Good stuff JC. Efe was extremely culpable at their goal. Wrong side of his man and slow to react. He will be disappointed. .Good performance all round really.

:agree: I thought it took Efe a while to get into the game, he was all over the place for a while.

Overall good performance from a Hibs side that looks like it's full of confidence at the moment.

The pleasing thing is Sir David Gray and McGregor will be watching that knowing that it'll be tough to get back in the side.

Robinho08
05-08-2017, 09:28 PM
Excellent read and totally agree. I was surprised to see Hanlon get the nod, but he totally strolled it today.

ronaldo7
06-08-2017, 07:04 AM
Yet somehow Paul still seems to have those in the home crowd who wondered if he would be first choice.

Lenny proved again that he knows best by putting Paul straight back into the first team and it would not be a huge surprise to see him finally get a belated Scotland call up if he can stay fit and perform like he has done for the club for a number of seasons now.

It beggars belief that he's not had a chance in the dark blue of Scotland. We've got Hanley though, maybe wee Gordon got the spelling wrong.

Paul has been strolling through games (albeit in the Championship) for a while now, if he can perform well throughout the Premiership he should get his chance.

PS. Good report J.

Borderhibbie76
06-08-2017, 08:48 AM

My man of the match had three contenders in Whitty, Efe and Simon Murray with my vote matching the sponsors as the Duracell man was their selectionFab summary and agree with almost all of it 100% Jon...Tho I personally thought SJM had a fab 2nd half.

Gonna really enjoy these this season [emoji122]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
06-08-2017, 08:50 AM
Don't think I disagree with any of that Jonnyboy. McGeough started poorly but recovered - great to see he wasn't doing the usual pre emptive stretching!

Mcgregor will be back in the team for ibrox so who misses out?I reckon we will go 3 at the back mate...efe Daz and PH with lewy and whitts as wing backs ???

Danderhall Hibs
06-08-2017, 08:53 AM
I reckon we will go 3 at the back mate...efe Daz and PH with lewy and whitts as wing backs ???

I think you're right - but someone from midfield misses out to accommodate that? Swanson maybe?

The Pointer
06-08-2017, 08:56 AM
Very good summation and pretty well how we saw it. You failed to mention two minor points though. When the dark clouds passed over to the south how warm it was in the East. It was absolutely baking in our wee corner low down at the FF end. Also, Efe's reaction to 'the tackle' was high up in the pantheon of footballer's drama queen reactions. Roll both ways, slap the ground, wave your arm in the air then get up and run around a minute later.

Borderhibbie76
06-08-2017, 08:58 AM
I think you're right - but someone from midfield misses out to accommodate that? Swanson maybe?Probably yeah as the 3 centre mids should be Bartley Mcginn and Dylan id imagine??

Hibeewilly
06-08-2017, 09:09 AM
I think you're right - but someone from midfield misses out to accommodate that? Swanson maybe?
If Bartley doesn't make it you might see Efe switched to his role and go 4-1-4-1

Jpdhfc
06-08-2017, 11:39 AM

Agree with all this with the exception of efe sold himself at there goal

BroxburnHibee
06-08-2017, 11:56 AM

I did wonder if that was an 'Efe' moment. I suspect we might see a few of those this season, hopefully not all leading to goals.

Apart from that I thought he was different class. How many times did he read and cut out through balls?

Great read again JC.

Iggy Pope
06-08-2017, 01:51 PM
Won't quote the whole post as I thought Efe needed a boot in the arse at least twice, but well done Jonnyboy for a hardworking performance.
Love it.

Kojock
06-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Hard to disagree with any of that Johhnyboy. My mom was between Simon Murray and Boyle with the Squirrel just shading it.

Billy Whizz
06-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Good report as always Jonnyboy

Speedway
06-08-2017, 02:42 PM
Another excellent summary Jonnyboy.

Keith_M
06-08-2017, 02:50 PM
Hard to disagree with any of that Johhnyboy. My mom was between Simon Murray and Boyle with the Squirrel just shading it.

Would you perhaps like to rephrase that?

:greengrin

BSEJVT
06-08-2017, 05:39 PM
Thanks JB

Pretty much as I saw it but as others have said Efe was very culpable at their goal

hibsbollah
06-08-2017, 05:44 PM
Can you do this every week please? The extra wee details are invaluable if you can't make the game :aok:

RyeSloan
06-08-2017, 06:04 PM
Can you do this every week please? The extra wee details are invaluable if you can't make the game :aok:

Agree...great to see a .net match report!

Although it would be good if people didn't quote the whole post just to say they agree at the end...ridiculous me having to scroll half a page just to see one comment [emoji12]

Arch Stanton
06-08-2017, 07:12 PM
Agree with all this with the exception of efe sold himself at there goal

Of course - it is a well known fact that Hibs never play against teams with forwards capable of using their skills to score goals. Any goals that Hibs concede are the result of a defence error - stands to reason.

Pedantic_Hibee
06-08-2017, 07:15 PM
Would you perhaps like to rephrase that?

:greengrin

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Jonnyboy
06-08-2017, 09:12 PM

Your wish is my command Mr bollah :greengrin

Hibs.net have asked me to provide a "This is how it feels" after every game and I'm just too polite to say no :greengrin

inglisavhibs
06-08-2017, 09:17 PM

Mcgregor will be back in the team for ibrox so who misses out?

Not sure about that.

Scouse Hibee
06-08-2017, 09:53 PM
That was a great read JB. Often I read reports or player ratings on here and wonder if I was at the same game. Your report and summary of player performances is pretty much spot on with what I witnessed yesterday. Thanks and I look forward to the next one.

Hibrandenburg
07-08-2017, 07:08 AM
Thanks JB. Good read, will be following this throughout the season.