PDA

View Full Version : Minutes Applause today

cabbageandribs1875
04-08-2017, 11:21 PM
surprisingly not saw any mention of this on .net ? just read it on a partick th fans forum

http://www.wearethistle.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/12447-minutes-applause-tomorrow-10th-minute-tilly-titchie/

Hi guys
You may be aware already but just in case your not and wondering what's happening in the 10th minute with the clapping
There's going to be a minutes applause tomorrow at Easter Road at the 10th minute for young Hibbee fan Tilly Ritchie who very sadly passed away at the age of 10 just a couple of months ago.

Thoughts go to her friends and family at this very sad time

SirDavidsNapper
04-08-2017, 11:31 PM
Absolute travesty and really feel for the wee girls parents and wider family but it seems we have a minutes applause for something every week... Tragedies happen and it's an absolute sin but is a minutes applause at the football really a good idea? I feel it's all becoming a bit diluted because of the frequency of it and a lot of people don't realise what it's for. I apologise if this has upset anyone but I think it's getting a bit too much now. Again deepest condolences to Tilly' s family.

04-08-2017, 11:31 PM
Didn't know of this. So sad to hear of such a young 'un passing away. Kudos to the Partick fan for posting it.

Mantis Toboggan
04-08-2017, 11:35 PM
Nothing against these tributes at all but think they should go through the club so that a proper announcement can be made either through website or on the tannoy. Few times I've not know what the appluase was for, which unfortunately diminishes the impact of the gesture.

1van Sprou7e
04-08-2017, 11:36 PM
Absolute travesty and really feel for the wee girls parents and wider family but it seems we have a minutes applause for something every week... Tragedies happen and it's an absolute sin but is a minutes applause at the football really a good idea? I feel it's all becoming a bit diluted because of the frequency of it and a lot of people don't realise what it's for. I apologise if this has upset anyone but I think it's getting a bit too much now. Again deepest condolences to Tilly' s family.

Awful story but I do agree with you to some extent

bingo70
04-08-2017, 11:38 PM

I agree with you but it's an impossible discussion to come out of looking
like anything other than a dick so I've decided to just go with the flow. If people are clapping and are happy to do so then really what's the point in going against the grain?

Genuinely Hope this view doesn't offend, If it does I'll delete the postal that's certainly not the intention.

pacorosssco
04-08-2017, 11:40 PM

While I understand your viewpoint and your absoulte respect to situation. My view is if anything can be done to ease pain of losing a loved one let alone a child taken to soon then football is a community and we should do what we can to celebrate remember any life if a
requested.

SirDavidsNapper
04-08-2017, 11:41 PM
While I understand your viewpoint and your absoulte respect to situation. My view is if anything can be done to ease pain of losing a loved one let alone a child taken to soon then football is a community and we should do what we can to celebrate remember any life if a
requested.That's a good point

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

HappyAsHellas
04-08-2017, 11:41 PM
I imagine her family will be there tomorrow and it will cost me nothing to applaud for a minute. If it brings a fellow fan, or their family some comfort in what must be a very distressing time then I see no problem whatsoever.

Dashing Bob S
05-08-2017, 06:56 AM
I don't overthink these things and tend to feel that if a minutes applause breaks out then it's generally for a good cause and just join in.

"Simplicity flies out the door when people lose their warmth."

Sir David Gray
05-08-2017, 07:16 AM

Absolutely agree with this.

It is an extremely difficult discussion to have without coming across as offensive but I do feel that having these practically every other week kind of takes away their sincerity. You have people joining in when they clearly have no idea what they're clapping for as they haven't heard about it.

I absolutely do have sympathy with anyone who loses a loved one, particularly when it's a child in tragic circumstances. However the sad truth of life is that people die every second of every single day.

I would agree with a suggestion that's been brought up before to have one big tribute at the end of each season to remember everyone connected to the club who has passed away over the previous 12 months.

It's an impossible discussion though and of course if one happens today then I will join in but I just feel we should show respect in another way.

proud_and_green
05-08-2017, 07:24 AM
I agree with the points above. I have long wondered whether there should be one memorial game where we remember all those who have died in the year preceding it. A list could be compiled and published in a special memorial programme or the like and anyone could submit the name of a loved one for publication and remembrance.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

lucky
05-08-2017, 07:50 AM
A minutes applause for the passing of a kid is never a problem for me, it might even help the family cope with the grief. If we have to do it every week who cares as it shows we as a club care :flag::flag::flag:

Scouse Hibee
05-08-2017, 07:54 AM
I just wish we knew what or who each one was for. Often the applause starts and I have no clue why but assume it is as a mark of respect for someone so I join in.

Carheenlea
05-08-2017, 08:29 AM
These tributes have been supporter led, and have been relatively easy to arrange through social media. This all started really with the minuted applause replacing the minutes silence, and such occasions where silent tributes were observed were originally reserved for club greats, then eventually tragic events around the world. Supporters would never really feature in those tributes, but the popularity of paying tribute by an applause with a fan base the size of ours means these tributes will be almost part of match day most home games.
As others have said, you join in out of respect, and it's only a minute, but it can feel like attending a funeral of someone you don't know at all.

HFCdeb
05-08-2017, 09:03 AM
I don't overthink these things and tend to feel that if a minutes applause breaks out then it's generally for a good cause and just join in.

"Simplicity flies out the door when people lose their warmth."

This a hundred times over.

I have to brief my faither before every game for things like this because he doesn't use social media and it's not reported in MSM and he doesn't like shouting "WHY ARE WE CLAPPING NOW?" each time.

A little girl died. If a stadium of people applauding brings a bit of light into a very dark time for her family and friends then I'm game.

WhileTheChief..
05-08-2017, 09:06 AM
I just wish we knew what or who each one was for. Often the applause starts and I have no clue why but assume it is as a mark of respect for someone so I join in.

Same with me.

Last season there was a game where we did it twice. Didn't have a clue who or what for which kinda makes the whole thing pointless.

I'd go further than most on here though and say it's a crap idea that should be knocked on the head.

These things should be reserved for when a true Hibs legend passes or if there's an obvious connection to the club. Being a fan isn't really enough to merit it in my eyes. Perhaps those that ask for such things could go to a church on the way to the game instead for some quiet reflection?

It also puts a right dampener on the atmosphere at the game.

Anyways, I know this chat only ever comes up when someone has died so apologies. I'll join in no doubt but won't be keeping an eye on my watch. Heartless, I know. Sorry.

The_Exile
05-08-2017, 09:09 AM
I'm not a fan of them and don't think they have any place being carried out while the game is going on, would much prefer it at half time.

Sweet Left Peg
05-08-2017, 10:39 AM
If it went through the club then they might be able to arrange a message on the scoreboard, or to announce it over the tannoy, to let folk know the reasons. They could even have a bit in the match day programme. Unless it goes through the club then there will always be folk wondering who they are clapping for. I think it's a gesture that should be encouraged, but I understand the frustration people might have with it. Not everyone uses social media these days, so I think these things ought to go through the club as well, to allow maximum exposure. A game of football is, after all, just a game. But a club can bring people together and help people through hard times. I'm sure that when we won the cup there were a lot of folk thinking of people that weren't with them, that had gone before they had the chance to see us lift the Scottish Cup, that would have loved to have been there. And that's what Hibs mean to me...football, family, friends, forever. If there is a minute's applause, it will no doubt be for a good cause and I'll join in the gesture for the family, but I do think that these things should be advertised as far as possible.

Billy Whizz
05-08-2017, 11:21 AM
I always join in, regardless

wookie70
05-08-2017, 11:42 AM
I think we should go to a minutes silence before the first game of the season or the last game of the season. That would be for all those who had passed and the names could be read out or printed in the programme.

I can't be bothered with them during the game as it stops the flow of the football. What would happen if Rocky let in a howler 2 seconds after the clapping started and the loved ones had to sit through a round of boos to see off the departed. How do we prioritise the clapping if 3 or 4 leave this world the week before a game. Do we do 4 rounds of clapping. The UK is becoming a nation of professional grievers and do-gooders. Style over substance for me and I would far rather we had a more organised and publicised event that let those who want the club to mark a passing do it properly.

I will of course stand and applaud and spend at least half of it trying to explain what we are applauding to my kids and those around me who don't look into .net.

iwasthere1972
06-08-2017, 01:09 PM
I'm baffled. There was no applause on 10 minutes. :confused:

SON OF PADDY
06-08-2017, 01:19 PM
I arrived about 10 minutes late, thought I had missed the applause to be honest.

BroxburnHibee
06-08-2017, 01:21 PM
There seemed to be a half hearted attempt at one in the 2nd half but it didn't take off.

I'd agree with some sort of memorial game.

High-On-Hibs
06-08-2017, 01:27 PM
There seemed to be a half hearted attempt at one in the 2nd half but it didn't take off.

I'd agree with some sort of memorial game.

What about the other 5 or so fans that pass away before the memorial game? Will we plan another 5 memorial games for them? It's getting silly now tbh. We didn't require these sort of things years ago, I don't see why we suddenly require them now. Don't mean to come across as insensitive, but it's getting ridiculous.

You're not a bad person if you don't applaud in the memory of the death of someone you didn't know at a football game.