PDA

View Full Version : Wee note of caution...

G B Young
03-08-2017, 12:08 PM
While it's hats off to Hibs for the fantastic turnaround in our fortunes, it might be wise to rein back the euphoria just a little.

Not wishing to downplay the feelgood factor when it's clear we now have a genuinely first-rate squad managed by a guy with a terrific winning mentality, but I've allowed myself to get too upbeat about our prospects too many times in the past to feel wholly confident we'll get off to a flyer in the league.

Yes, I fully believe this squad will gel and go on to have a very good season. By Scottish football standards it's simply too strong a bunch of players not to do well and I have total faith in Lennon to get the best out of them. However, there's a chance this may take a bit of time and while we're all hoping to kick off with a win against Thistle (ideally coupled with the mother of all hidings for Hearts at Parkhead) it would be wrong to get too frustrated if it doesn't pan out that way. Thistle did exceptionally well last season (albeit in a really mediocre league) and I'd be surprised if we turn them over with ease. Equally, I guess that with Celtic having come through a really tough European away trip last night and kicking off again at lunchtime on Saturday they may not oblige with the doing most expect them to dish out to Hearts.

Here's hoping I am completely wrong and that the 'new' Hibs we've seen take shape since we were last in the top flight will show their class from the off. I just think it's worth calling for a little patience should things evolve a little more slowly than we might want.

:flag:

SirDavidsNapper
03-08-2017, 12:11 PM
This is Hibs so I think we all have wee thought in the back of our heads that we'll get brought back down to earth but we are very well placed to push on this season and do very well which we will.

High-On-Hibs
03-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Booooo!

Since90+2
03-08-2017, 12:14 PM
Celtic's second team would beat Hearts and they will still have 6 or 7 first picks playing on Saturday and will beat Hearts by atleast 2 goals.

Thistle are a decent side but we will win on Saturday , probably 2-1 or 3-1.

GreenCastle
03-08-2017, 12:18 PM
While it's hats off to Hibs for the fantastic turnaround in our fortunes, it might be wise to rein back the euphoria just a little.

Not wishing to downplay the feelgood factor when it's clear we now have a genuinely first-rate squad managed by a guy with a terrific winning mentality, but I've allowed myself to get too upbeat about our prospects too many times in the past to feel wholly confident we'll get off to a flyer in the league.

Yes, I fully believe this squad will gel and go on to have a very good season. By Scottish football standards it's simply too strong a bunch of players not to do well and I have total faith in Lennon to get the best out of them. However, there's a chance this may take a bit of time and while we're all hoping to kick off with a win against Thistle (ideally coupled with the mother of all hidings for Hearts at Parkhead) it would be wrong to get too frustrated if it doesn't pan out that way. Thistle did exceptionally well last season (albeit in a really mediocre league) and I'd be surprised if we turn them over with ease. Equally, I guess that with Celtic having come through a really tough European away trip last night and kicking off again at lunchtime on Saturday they may not oblige with the doing most expect them to dish out to Hearts.

Here's hoping I am completely wrong and that the 'new' Hibs we've seen take shape since we were last in the top flight will show their class from the off. I just think it's worth calling for a little patience should things evolve a little more slowly than we might want.

That's the OLD HIBS - Pre Scottish Cup final years!

This new Hibs is different - if you have been to any pre-season games / league cup games you will see the club has changed.

Supporters should be confident as we have a decent squad and in a bang average SPFL league we should be aiming high :greengrin

HiBremian
03-08-2017, 12:20 PM
The Hibs way would be a decent start against Thistle, give the Huns another spanking, then lose to Hamilton. Be interesting to see if the Lenny mindset changes things.

Carheenlea
03-08-2017, 12:20 PM
Just try and enjoy yourself.

CyberSauzee
03-08-2017, 12:21 PM
Celtic's second team would beat Hearts and they will still have 6 or 7 first picks playing on Saturday and will beat Hearts by atleast 2 goals.

Thistle are a decent side but we will win on Saturday , probably 2-1 or 3-1.

Agree with all of that.

I was happy last season to be very confident before a ball was kicked that we would win the league. Quite a few on here were of the 'cautious' nature. I for one am getting sick of this attitude. Why don't we shout out that we're a good side, have played well in the 'pre-season' cup games, and we should be looking to win this game on Saturday? A dour 1-0 will do me.

Tom Hart RIP
03-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but I've just had a quick look at Jambo Kickback.
Apparently Michael O'Neil will take the Hearts job because managing Hearts is a step up from managing Northern Ireland.
That leaves the NI post vacant and because the NI job is a step up from managing Hibs then Neil Lennon will take it.
Damn

Kato
03-08-2017, 12:25 PM
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but I've just had a quick look at Jambo Kickback.
Apparently Michael O'Neil will take the Hearts job because managing Hearts is a step up from managing Northern Ireland.
That leaves the NI post vacant and because the NI job is a step up from managing Hibs then Neil Lennon will take it.
Damn

They do enjoy working it all out - in their heads.

Jones28
03-08-2017, 12:25 PM
Damn

Well, there goes my smile for the day. Pesky Jambos, ruining my fun.

WhileTheChief..
03-08-2017, 12:34 PM
Nah, I've been patient for 30+ years so I'm gonna enjoy the optimism and enthusiasm for as long as possible.

I've seen similar posts popping up on various threads with folk warning others to be patient. Debby downers the lot of you.

I'm lovng it and am brim full of expectation. None of you are putting a dampner on the start of this season for me.

Before you all have a go I'm not gonna start shouting abuse if we have a couple of dodgy results but at the same time I prefer Lennon's approach and winning mentality to the cautious namby pamby stuff of yesteryear.

He told the players that we won't lose 8 games again this season. I expect similar.:thumbsup:

MB62
03-08-2017, 12:35 PM

I always think it is wise to calm down on excessive euphoria regarding Hibs, and I'm not getting carried away at all. However, I don't agree with your hope the Yams getting a hammering against Celtc, in fact a wee draw wouldn't go amiss. As the 'dodgers' will obviously be our main challengers for the title this season, any points they drop will be a help :wink: :thumbsup:

RoscoHibby
03-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Can see exactly where the OP is going with this. However, the Leith San Siro will be rocking and our boys seem to love the big games/atmospheres. Can see us running over the top of them, win with at least a couple to spare. And stokesy still to come as well!

Dalehibbie
03-08-2017, 12:40 PM
Is this not what Lennon is trying to change, the old Hibs mentality. He wants the players and the fans to think like winners, to get rid of that wee voice in the back of our minds that tells us it's Hibs so they will find a way to f*** it up. New season,new Hibs. I know I don't post much, maybe that will change.

High-On-Hibs
03-08-2017, 12:43 PM
Is this not what Lennon is trying to change, the old Hibs mentality. He wants the players and the fans to think like winners, to get rid of that wee voice in the back of our minds that tells us it's Hibs so they will find a way to f*** it up. New season,new Hibs. I know I don't post much, maybe that will change.

:agree:

It's about time we stopped inventing ways to **** things up. We've always been very creative in that department. If you want abject failure and bottle merchants, got follow the Hertz.

Bostonhibby
03-08-2017, 12:44 PM
DamnThey haven't got the cash otherwise why have the humiliation of the cash cow and selling plastic owls to the gullible?

Unless of course they're planning a bit more bowing and scraping to raise cash via the caspian primrose connection? That was fun last season.[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

JeMeSouviens
03-08-2017, 12:45 PM
Damn

Aye, I'm sure a guy that quit playing for NI because he got death threats from bigoted Huns will be just desperate to manage them! :crazy:

lucky
03-08-2017, 12:45 PM
I disagree it's about time we had a swagger in our step and confidence in our club. Im expecting a top 4 finish, two good cup runs, undefeated against the Yams, beating every team in the league at least once. We should be challenging up till Xmas then Celtic will pull away. Now is a good time to be Hibs

G B Young
03-08-2017, 12:47 PM

Good post. Yes, that's exactly what Lennon is trying to change and doing a very good job of it IMHO. I actually DO believe we have something 'new' about us, but as a Hibs fan of several decades standing old habits die hard and it's that 'wee voice' that I've not yet quite managed to silence. The positivity of so many on here is helping though :agree:

Hermit Crab
03-08-2017, 12:47 PM
Remember when we featured on Football Focus? Can Hibs split the Old Firm? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttqmIcIBREU)

Big L
03-08-2017, 12:55 PM
I think this will be the most compeititive league in a long long time. All the club's wi the exception of Hamilton have signed good players and a top 3 or 4 place with european qualification would be magic. GGTTH!

Hi Heid Yin
03-08-2017, 12:59 PM
I fully understand the trepidation felt by the OP. We have all been there, but the change in Hibs is there for all to see.
We are not that Hibs of old and we have to adopt a new approach - starting with believing that we can realistically secure 2nd spot.
I for one believe that we can indeed clinch 2nd spot based on us having probably the strongest squad outwith Celtic; that if one quality player is suspended or injured, we have an able deputy who will fit right in seamlessly;
that we have a born-winner in Neil Lennon - a man who aims high and expects his players to follow him;
that we have a fantastic and large support that will be our 12th man at Easter Road when the going gets tough and our players need our vocal support.
Let's make sure that Hearts and other clubs of their standing know that we are a threat and have them defeated before they step on the park.
Come on the HIBEES!!!
:flag::flag:

Mikey
03-08-2017, 01:00 PM
Have Thistle done anything of note in the transfer window? Are they ready for the new season?

NAE NOOKIE
03-08-2017, 01:12 PM
If folk are sounding a note of caution it isn't in my opinion based on the old Hibs mentality of 'if it can go wrong it will go wrong' ...... Like me its not through negativity based on past experience but rather purely based on the fact that to an extent we are heading into the unknown with a squad even most of us cant decide what the best team to field is ... even if that is for all the right reasons for once :greengrin

The Premiership might be a league full of poor or bang average teams as some folk are suggesting, but the one thing it has had over the last three years is the fact that in 70% of the fixtures its usually hard to predict the result ..... Clubs change managers, players and tactics so often these days that even our players most of whom have SPL experience will be facing teams much changed in personnel and tactics from the last time they faced them.

Most of us haven't seen many Premiership games in the last three years either and without first hand experience of seeing the likes of Partick Thistle, St Johnstone or Motherwell in the flesh we would be lying if we said 'aye its gonna be a skoosh' ....... I watch Sportscene most weeks and if you ask me the majority of teams have one or two more players we have to be wary of compared to what we have faced in the last few years.

That's why far from promoting a feeling of negativity and trepidation this upcoming game on Saturday and the season in general is generating a feeling of excitement mixed with a wee bit of anxiety ............ a wee bit like the first time you are invited into a new girlfriends boudoir :greengrin

hughio
03-08-2017, 01:19 PM
If folk are sounding a note of caution it isn't in my opinion based on the old Hibs mentality of 'if it can go wrong it will go wrong' ...... Like me its not through negativity based on past experience but rather purely based on the fact that to an extent we are heading into the unknown with a squad even most of us cant decide what the best team to field is ... even if that is for all the right reasons for once :greengrin

The Premiership might be a league full of poor or bang average teams as some folk are suggesting, but the one thing it has had over the last three years is the fact that in 70% of the fixtures its usually hard to predict the result ..... Clubs change managers, players and tactics so often these days that even our players most of whom have SPL experience will be facing teams much changed in personnel and tactics from the last time they faced them.

Most of us haven't seen many Premiership games in the last three years either and without first hand experience of seeing the likes of Partick Thistle, St Johnstone or Motherwell in the flesh we would be lying if we said 'aye its gonna be a skoosh' ....... I watch Sportscene most weeks and if you ask me the majority of teams have one or two more players we have to be wary of compared to what we have faced in the last few years.

That's why far from promoting a feeling of negativity and trepidation this upcoming game on Saturday and the season in general is generating a feeling of excitement mixed with a wee bit of anxiety ............ a wee bit like the first time you are invited into a new girlfriends boudoir :greengrin

I'm salivating......:aok:

SanFranHibs
03-08-2017, 01:27 PM
Have Thistle done anything of note in the transfer window? Are they ready for the new season?

I suppose it might be argued that they are as 'ready' as every other team in the league. Have they improved with good signings? Might they better because they have a 'settled' team from last season? I certainly don't know the answer to either question but I suppose they can argue they are as ready as us, i.e. fit, trained hard and ready to go.

Taking Celtic out of the equation, who need less personnel changes than the rest of us, Aberdeen lost decent players and signed decent players. They rightly should be confident of being very near the top. Rangers? Who knows.

I feel we have had the best transfer window in the division...period (Thus far of course). I would have liked another play-making midfielder but I like the 'balance' of this squad and the different looks we will give other teams. Tricky little SJM, McGeough, Swanson, Stokes, 6' 3" Davy, S Murray working like mad and dragging defenders wide and out of position. Experience, youth and even the relative unknowns in the squad. And last but certainly not least, a manager who will instil in his players belief and the confidence that tey are as good as anyone in this division. I think he will also love to turn over Celtic and will not be overawed when playing them.

Quite exciting times.

ALL ABOOAAARRD!!

RossScott1991
03-08-2017, 01:38 PM
I can't wait for Saturday. Absolutely buzzing for it. Hopefully a sunny day. Near sell out crowd. New signings to see. There will be bumps along the way, but that's every football club in the world.

The old hibs would have me saying ''typical if we get beat Saturday after the feel good factor'' but the club has changed. Even if we were to drop points it wont mater. I believe we will have a good season. I've never met a urealistic Hibs fan. We all know we will suffer a few defeat here and there. We've been through enough rubbish times so encourage every fan to embrace it and enjoy.

hurry up Saturday!

2.1 Hibs. Murray and boyle to score.

Keith_M
03-08-2017, 01:41 PM

I think a lot of people are missing the point the OP is trying to make. I don't think he's saying the club shouldn't be ambitious, but just giving a wee remider that football is unpredictable and maybe a warning that there's still a possiblility things won't happen right away.

I don't see anything wrong with that, as it's encouraging rhe fans to stick by the club, even if the progress takes a bit longer than we might want/expect.

AgentDaleCooper
03-08-2017, 01:41 PM

oh shoosh. we are in for an absolutely epic season IMO. LET'S ENJOY IT! :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper

:flag: :flag: :flag:

NZ Green
03-08-2017, 02:09 PM
I'm expecting a good season, but imagining a few disappointments on the way. Takes the edge of a bit when (if) it does happen.

jacomo
03-08-2017, 02:11 PM
I always think it is wise to calm down on excessive euphoria regarding Hibs, and I'm not getting carried away at all. However, I don't agree with your hope the Yams getting a hammering against Celtc, in fact a wee draw wouldn't go amiss. As the 'dodgers' will obviously be our main challengers for the title this season, any points they drop will be a help :wink: :thumbsup:

I'd absolutely take a Hertz win.

Celtc lose their unbeatables tag and drop points, Jon Daly signs a 3 yr contract at Yam boss.

As for us, it might take a little time for our new guys to find their feet.

AgentDaleCooper
03-08-2017, 02:14 PM
I'm expecting a good season, but imagining a few disappointments on the way. Takes the edge of a bit when (if) it does happen.

i always used to feel like that - but that's a looser's mentality. we're in this to win every game now :flag::flag::flag:

Dalehibbie
03-08-2017, 02:23 PM
i always used to feel like that - but that's a looser's mentality. we're in this to win every game now :flag::flag::flag:

You Are right, I don't think anybody thinks we will win every game, but we should adopt the attitude that we can win them all. I don't think it's any coincidence that Lennon has brought in so many ex old firm players that are expected to win every game. Winning is a very good habit to have.

Phil MaGlass
03-08-2017, 02:31 PM
4-0 Hibs

surreyhibbie
03-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Just when we are all getting excited, someone comes on and talks sense!

Booooo!

Ah, sod it, can't wait till it starts again.

:greengrin:thumbsup::flag:

Haymaker
03-08-2017, 02:46 PM
Screw caution I'm :hyper

hfc rd
03-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Damn

That's just broke my heart 😥

tamig
03-08-2017, 09:10 PM

Just be positive for goodness sake man. Leave all that negative pish behind. Let it go.

theonlywayisup
03-08-2017, 09:15 PM
Damn

Only for Michael O'Neil to leave the once famous Hertz and join the Hibs.

Slavers
03-08-2017, 09:16 PM
Nothing less than a win on Saturday will do and I expect us to do it in style! We have the players and a full house behind them. Patrick Thistle will need to play like Barca to beat us!

Thecat23
03-08-2017, 09:16 PM
That's the OLD HIBS - Pre Scottish Cup final years!

This new Hibs is different - if you have been to any pre-season games / league cup games you will see the club has changed.

Supporters should be confident as we have a decent squad and in a bang average SPFL league we should be aiming high :greengrin

I like this post a lot 👍🏼👍🏼

Hibster
03-08-2017, 09:22 PM
16-0 Hibs

Hibeesforever
03-08-2017, 09:25 PM
Remember when we featured on Football Focus? Can Hibs split the Old Firm? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttqmIcIBREU)

Thanks for sharing, it would be incredible if we could get back to those levels...Stokes goal at Ibrox was a cracker!

SanFranHibs
03-08-2017, 09:29 PM
Thanks for sharing, it would be incredible if we could get back to those levels...Stokes goal at Ibrox was a cracker!

Yes. Zemmama assisted in a few of his goals. He's only 33 ;)

ian cruise
03-08-2017, 09:34 PM
Nah, we're going to skoosh this league!

madabouthibs
03-08-2017, 09:42 PM
I mind a jambo (canny mind who) once said that Hibs go into a Derby hoping for a win, whereas hearts expect a win.
We should be adopting this attitude, from players down to fans.
Also, what's the point of aiming for second? Best of the rest and all that pish, We only play Celtic 4 times, we might actually beat them once or get a couple of draws, let's bum ourselves up and try and win the damn league!! 😁

Sir David Gray
03-08-2017, 09:56 PM
I mind a jambo (canny mind who) once said that Hibs go into a Derby hoping for a win, whereas hearts expect a win.
We should be adopting this attitude, from players down to fans.
Also, what's the point of aiming for second? Best of the rest and all that pish, We only play Celtic 4 times, we might actually beat them once or get a couple of draws, let's bum ourselves up and try and win the damn league!! 😁

I don't think it's defeatist to be aiming for 2nd (or possibly even 3rd depending on how Sevco do) since these two clubs have budgets far greater than ours. At the very least, Celtic have a far better squad of players than us and if they needed to, they could spend relatively large sums of money on players that we simply can only dream of buying.

Aberdeen will be tough to beat but they have to be the target for us over the coming season.

It's fine to aim high and I was actually encouraged today to hear Stokes setting personal and team goals for the season, with the team goal being a top four finish. That has to be the minimum that we can expect at this club. We shouldn't be accepting top six nonsense or anything like that.

madabouthibs
03-08-2017, 10:08 PM
I don't think it's defeatist to be aiming for 2nd (or possibly even 3rd depending on how Sevco do) since these two clubs have budgets far greater than ours. At the very least, Celtic have a far better squad of players than us and if they needed to, they could spend relatively large sums of money on players that we simply can only dream of buying.

Aberdeen will be tough to beat but they have to be the target for us over the coming season.

It's fine to aim high and I was actually encouraged today to hear Stokes setting personal and team goals for the season, with the team goal being a top four finish. That has to be the minimum that we can expect at this club. We shouldn't be accepting top six nonsense or anything like that.
But it is defeatist aiming for second, mentally this would mean that we take on Celtic at ER or Parkheid content to come off second best. We should be looking to win every game. I doubt Lennon will be telling our team to only lose by one or two goals. LETS TAKE THEM ON!! 😁

madabouthibs
03-08-2017, 10:12 PM
We're selling out a league game against Partick Thistle! If this isn't massive optimism then I dunno what is! I've never felt this optimistic as a hibee in 40-odd years! If we the fans are having doubts then why should we expect anything else from the players? Let's do the unthinkable! 😁

Sir David Gray
03-08-2017, 10:12 PM
But it is defeatist aiming for second, mentally this would mean that we take on Celtic at ER or Parkheid content to come off second best. We should be looking to win every game. I doubt Lennon will be telling our team to only lose by one or two goals. LETS TAKE THEM ON!! ��

It's not the same at all.

Taking Celtic on in a one off match and going out with the intention to match them over 90 minutes is entirely different to expecting to match (or better) them over the course of 38 matches.

Although still improbable, it's possible that we could beat them in a one off match this season if they have an off day and we play to the best of our ability.

Over the course of a full season however, this is a lot more difficult when you have a lot less money than another club and far inferior players.

It's fine having targets and goals in mind ahead of a new season starting but these goals and targets need to be realistic and beating a team who hasn't lost a domestic game in over a year to the league title isn't realistic in my book.

Thecat23
03-08-2017, 10:15 PM
It's not the same at all.

Taking Celtic on in a one off match and going out with the intention to match them over 90 minutes is entirely different to expecting to match (or better) them over the course of 38 matches.

Although still improbable, it's possible that we could beat them in a one off match this season if they have an off day and we play to the best of our ability.

Ove the course of a full season however, this is a lot more difficult when you have a lot less money than another club and far inferior players.

It's fine having targets and goals in mind ahead of a new season starting but these goals and targets need to be realistic and beating a team who hasn't lost a domestic game in over a year to the league title isn't realistic in my book.

Two words.... Leicester City!

But yeah I actually agree with your post, second is the best we could hope for if we are being honest with ourselves.

mca
03-08-2017, 10:18 PM

sure that was Robbo.. wee fat klunt..

madabouthibs
03-08-2017, 10:18 PM
We have a squad capable of taking them on. Celtic lost both their main strikers last week in Europe, and struggled. We should be up for this challenge. I hate all this 2nd place talk to be honest, we just need a bit of momentum, gelling of the squad and a wee bit consistency and we'll be able to mount a challenge. Yes, it's a tall order, but hey....... Remember Leicester! 😁

Sir David Gray
03-08-2017, 10:22 PM
Two words.... Leicester City!

But yeah I actually agree with your post, second is the best we could hope for if we are being honest with ourselves.

Yep I totally get that argument and I would love nothing more than to witness a Leicester City moment next May. However that was practically a once in a lifetime event that happened and I don't expect to see anything like that again, at least not for a very long time.

I honestly don't see 2nd as being a pessimistic target, considering where we've been over the last 3 years and actually even before that. Up until May last year, we had been in the doldrums for the last 6 or 7 years so if we were to finish 2nd this season in our first season back in the Premiership and finish above Aberdeen and Sevco then I would class that as a very successful season.

Thecat23
03-08-2017, 10:55 PM
Yep I totally get that argument and I would love nothing more than to witness a Leicester City moment next May. However that was practically a once in a lifetime event that happened and I don't expect to see anything like that again, at least not for a very long time.

I honestly don't see 2nd as being a pessimistic target, considering where we've been over the last 3 years and actually even before that. Up until May last year, we had been in the doldrums for the last 6 or 7 years so if we were to finish 2nd this season in our first season back in the Premiership and finish above Aberdeen and Sevco then I would class that as a very successful season.

Yeah I very much doubt we'll see that again in football, not for years to come anyway.

I think top 6 will be our goal, but I do believe Lennon will tell then 2nd is doable. Would be unreal as the squad we have is very strong. I'd be very happy with 4th.

majorhibs
03-08-2017, 11:08 PM
SDG is out of touch with reality, surprised at you going along with him so much tc23. One other thing Hibs pioneered, for those of you who weren't there, our manager at the time, mogadon miller, was about 1st ANYWHERE in Scottish fitba to come out with the guff that no team out with the auld squirm could ever win the league again because of finances. Check it out. 1st. Borin miller. Tell that tae the fools wrong side ae Edinburgh who had burley & mad vlad! SDG falkirk hibee keep yer negativity 2 days afore the start ae the season, or go back to slaggin the tic or somethin, but tc23 a wee bit mair positivity afore a bar is kicked isnae oot the question?

Sir David Gray
03-08-2017, 11:09 PM
SDG is out of touch with reality, surprised at you going along with him so much tc23. One other thing Hibs pioneered, for those of you who weren't there, our manager at the time, mogadon miller, was about 1st ANYWHERE in Scottish fitba to come out with the guff that no team out with the auld squirm could ever win the league again because of finances. Check it out. 1st. Borin miller. Tell that tae the fools wrong side ae Edinburgh who had burley & mad vlad! SDG falkirk hibee keep yer negativity 2 days afore the start ae the season, or go back to slaggin the tic or somethin, but tc23 a wee bit mair positivity afore a bar is kicked isnae oot the question?

Still trolling me I see! :faf:

majorhibs
03-08-2017, 11:11 PM
Still trolling me I see! :faf:

Yep! :flag:

Sir David Gray
03-08-2017, 11:12 PM
Yeah I very much doubt we'll see that again in football, not for years to come anyway.

I think top 6 will be our goal, but I do believe Lennon will tell then 2nd is doable. Would be unreal as the squad we have is very strong. I'd be very happy with 4th.

For me the top six is only a target because of the design of the league due to it splitting in half after 33 games.

I personally don't see top six as an achievement for a club like Hibs.

I would be pleased with top four, delighted with anything more than that.

Forza Fred
03-08-2017, 11:29 PM
Partick Thistle will be a good marker on how our season may unfold I think.

They were a stuffy side last season, and we will have a few of those type of matches to negotiate.

ozhibs
04-08-2017, 12:27 AM

They were a stuffy side last season, and we will have a few of those type of matches to negotiate.

I Understand where the OP is coming from, being a Hibs supporter for fifty years, we have have had enough kicks in the goolies to not get carried away. I will use the Partick game as a marker win that one then I will be in the glass half full brigade :greengrin:flag:

Mibbes Aye
04-08-2017, 01:19 AM

I think we are looking good and the Jags should prove a good test.

We've got a couple of new starters and subs, by the looks of things they will take at least a quarter to settle down.

Hopefully the guys hit the ground running but it can't be guaranteed.

Hermit Crab
04-08-2017, 04:11 AM
I think we are looking good and the Jags should prove a good test.

We've got a couple of new starters and subs, by the looks of things they will take at least a quarter to settle down.

Hopefully the guys hit the ground running but it can't be guaranteed.

Sticking my neck out now, Slivka is a player by the looks of it.

The_Sauz
04-08-2017, 04:55 AM
Sticking my neck out now, Slivka is a player by the looks of it.
Well I hope so, as that what we signed him to be :na na:

Jones28
04-08-2017, 06:04 AM

Thanks for posting that mate, never seen that before.

Thecat23
04-08-2017, 07:39 AM

I can't see any negatives in my post to be honest? Think Lennon will tell them 2nd is possible. I personally would be happy with top 4. We have a great squad we just have to wait and see what happens.

Borderhibbie76
04-08-2017, 07:42 AM

They were a stuffy side last season, and we will have a few of those type of matches to negotiate.They will bit at the same time it can be dangerous to read too much into 1st game of season...win lose or draw

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

DickieDastardly
04-08-2017, 08:19 AM
Agree with the OP, built up and let down so many times over the years I prefer a lower key approach to potential Hibs success.

Super_JMcGinn
04-08-2017, 08:36 AM
I fully understand the trepidation felt by the OP. We have all been there, but the change in Hibs is there for all to see.
We are not that Hibs of old and we have to adopt a new approach - starting with believing that we can realistically secure 2nd spot.
I for one believe that we can indeed clinch 2nd spot based on us having probably the strongest squad outwith Celtic; that if one quality player is suspended or injured, we have an able deputy who will fit right in seamlessly;
that we have a born-winner in Neil Lennon - a man who aims high and expects his players to follow him;
that we have a fantastic and large support that will be our 12th man at Easter Road when the going gets tough and our players need our vocal support.
Let's make sure that Hearts and other clubs of their standing know that we are a threat and have them defeated before they step on the park.
Come on the HIBEES!!!

We haven't finished as high as second since 1975 so realistically second is a bit of an ask if you ask me.

Don't agree with the born winner in Lennon argument going by last season and the number of draws we had.

The large crowds will be a fantastic motivator if the team is doing well, too many times I've seen it being counter productive though, time will tell.

If we finish anywhere near second it will be a tremendous achievement, realistically I think 3rd is best we can get and another shot at winning a cup.