PDA

View Full Version : Our Season Opener 5 years ago

hibsbollah
03-08-2017, 08:40 AM
The season after the 5-1 cup final. Fenlon in charge. Drove up to Tannadice in a show of defiance despite Craig Thomson reffing it. Anyone want to see the squad that day as a compare and contrast to what we have now? Thought so.

Ben Williams
Tim Clancy
Paul Hanlon
James McPake
David Stephens
David Wotherspoon
Paul Cairney
Lewis Stevenson
Ivan Sproule
Leigh Griffiths
Eoin Doyle

subs
Antell
Booth
Kujabi
Claros
O'Hanlon
Handling
Caldwell

I think we've done alright :agree:

Cocaine&Caviar
03-08-2017, 08:41 AM
Had Griffiths, therefore better

SirDavidsNapper
03-08-2017, 08:45 AM
Brilliant Hibs support that day

RossScott1991
03-08-2017, 08:50 AM
The season after the 5-1 cup final. Fenlon in charge. Drove up to Tannadice in a show of defiance despite Craig Thomson reffing it. Anyone want to see the squad that day as a compare and contrast to what we have now? Thought so.

Ben Williams
Tim Clancy
Paul Hanlon
James McPake
David Stephens
David Wotherspoon
Paul Cairney
Lewis Stevenson
Ivan Sproule
Leigh Griffiths
Eoin Doyle

subs
Antell
Booth
Kujabi
Claros
O'Hanlon
Handling
Caldwell

Frightening, the 3 highlighted are only ones I'd want in the team now and 2 of them are! Sproule's best years had gone. Williams wasn't the worst I suppose.

We have come a long way, it is weird but looking back relegation is what the club needed to rebuild. The last 3 years (mainly due to cups) - but also some of the league games have gave me some of the most enjoyment following Hibs. 4.0 v Rangers at easter road stands out as one of favourite league games.

The Modfather
03-08-2017, 09:01 AM

Ben Williams
Tim Clancy
Paul Hanlon
James McPake
David Stephens
David Wotherspoon
Paul Cairney
Lewis Stevenson
Ivan Sproule
Leigh Griffiths
Eoin Doyle

subs
Antell
Booth
Kujabi
Claros
O'Hanlon
Handling
Caldwell

The Pat Fenlon days *shudders*. That squad still gives me nightmares.

givescotlandfreedom
03-08-2017, 09:04 AM
Bar Claros that bench is frightening.

we are hibs
03-08-2017, 09:04 AM
that team is bad but not horrendously bad. if you want that compare our team now to the one the last time we played Partick Thistle

Salt N Sauzee
03-08-2017, 09:10 AM
That bench gives me the absolute fear.

james62
03-08-2017, 09:13 AM
I can't remember the exact team but the season opener the following season must have been worse. We lost 0-1 at Easter Road to Motherwell just a couple of weeks after the Malmo debacle.

oneone73
03-08-2017, 09:16 AM
I didn't realise Ross Caldwell was quoted at the start of that season. Thought he made his debut last league game that season , at Tynie.

Northernhibee
03-08-2017, 09:16 AM
I'd still have Doyle, Spoony and Claros.

Diclonius
03-08-2017, 09:29 AM
That game was the angriest I've ever seen our support up to that point. After the 2012 final we'd been promised change, made a whole host of signings and got battered. Business as usual.

Thankfully we then went on to have a semi decent season, but as it turns out it was a false dawn.

Andy74
03-08-2017, 09:35 AM

Ben Williams
Tim Clancy
Paul Hanlon
James McPake
David Stephens
David Wotherspoon
Paul Cairney
Lewis Stevenson
Ivan Sproule
Leigh Griffiths
Eoin Doyle

subs
Antell
Booth
Kujabi
Claros
O'Hanlon
Handling
Caldwell

Worth noting that team spent a fair bit of time in the top places in the league. We fell into bottom six in the end. A couple of bad ref decisions didnt help. We then did well in the bottom six games and got to cup final again.

There's much worse squads to think about.

brog
03-08-2017, 09:45 AM
I liked wee Pat as a man but he really couldn't see flaws in players. David Stephens played in every pre season game. He was pretty poor but Pat persisted with him at Tannadice where he had a shocker. IIRC that was his last game for us, he went from 1st choice to free transfer in about a week!

brog
03-08-2017, 09:57 AM
Worth noting that team spent a fair bit of time in the top places in the league. We fell into bottom six in the end. A couple of bad ref decisions didnt help. We then did well in the bottom six games and got to cup final again.

There's much worse squads to think about.

You're right, was that the infamous LG no goal ( yard over line ) versus Yams season? It was a strange season. After the 5-1 we played Yams 5 times, didn't lose & put them out cup in the same year they won it. Us, Yams & Sheep in bottom 6 & Ross C & ICT in top 6! Also Yams lied ( of course ) about being self sufficient, went into admin in close season & avoided being relegated in 2013. Probably their revenge on Dundee for 1986 & 1965! Also 1st season without Huns in top flight!