PDA

View Full Version : Strongest XI

Unseen work
03-08-2017, 02:01 AM
What is the general opinion of our strongest 11?

I will go for

.....................Rocky............

Whittikar....Mcgregor...Ambrose....Stevenson...

...............Mcginn......Mcgeouch.......

Boyle.............Swanson...........Stokes...

.....................Murray.............

or

........................Rocky.............

.........Ambrose....Mcgregor....Hanlon........

Boyle/Whittikar......Mcgeouch.....Mcginn.......Stevenson ....

...................Swanson.............

..............Murray.......Stokes

What it shows is we have tremendous options at the moment.

Guys like

Bartley - Lennon seems to really like and is keen on having a destroyer in there, will he get in the team?

Gray/Whittikar/Hanlon/Mcgregor/Ambrose - He can't play all of them? Who will be back up

im very intrigued to see what formation and personnel he uses, especially with the defence as I can't see some of them being happy at being back up.

Even for me Fraser Murray should be there or there abouts after the fantastic pre season they've had.

Its too early to judge the Lithuanian lads but I imagine both of them will be close to the starting 11.

HoboHarry
03-08-2017, 02:26 AM
Never really understand these threads. Our strongest 11 against Celtic will not be the same as our strongest 11 against the likes of Hamilton.

Nevi_SOL
03-08-2017, 06:25 AM
Missed Fontaine as well

aussie_hibee
03-08-2017, 06:33 AM
Agree that it could change depending on opposition but to play along:

Marciano

Whittaker McGregor Hanlon Stevenson

McGeouch Bartley McGinn

Boyle Murray Stokes

Baw187
03-08-2017, 06:36 AM
Never really understand these threads. Our strongest 11 against Celtic will not be the same as our strongest 11 against the likes of Hamilton.

And that's the beauty of the squad of players we've amassed. I reckon Lennon will change the team and set up almost every week as he applies a horses for courses approach.

Hibby Kay-Yay
03-08-2017, 06:39 AM

So any thoughts on what our strongest 11 would be against Celtc and Hamilton?

I tend to think we'll be more 3-5-2 or attacking 4-2-3-1. One things for sure we have good options and competition for places.

Marciano

McGregor Ambrose Hanlon

Whitts McGeouch Bartley McGinn Swanson

Stokes Dave

Or an attacking 4-2-3-1

Marciano

Gray Ambrose Hanlon Stevenson

Whitts Bartley

Boyle McGinn Swanson

Stokes

Allant1981
03-08-2017, 06:43 AM
marciano
gray
mcgregor
ambrose
stevenson
whittaker
mcginn
mcgeouch
swanson
stokes
murray

the new lithuanian midfielder might be better than everyone but not seen him play yet so didnt include him

SouthMoroccoStu
03-08-2017, 06:47 AM
My strongest 11 ends up having 14 or 15 players in it

Put it down to my poor maths skills or we have an amazingly strong squad with depth and quality

But that's Neil's "problem" not mine!

The Leith Dutch
03-08-2017, 07:29 AM
What is the general opinion of our strongest 11?

I will go for

.....................Rocky............

Whittikar....Mcgregor...Ambrose....Stevenson...

...............Mcginn......Mcgeouch.......

Boyle.............Swanson...........Stokes...

.....................Murray.............

or

........................Rocky.............

.........Ambrose....Mcgregor....Hanlon........

Boyle/Whittikar......Mcgeouch.....Mcginn.......Stevenson ....

...................Swanson.............

..............Murray.......Stokes

What it shows is we have tremendous options at the moment.

Guys like

Bartley - Lennon seems to really like and is keen on having a destroyer in there, will he get in the team?

Gray/Whittikar/Hanlon/Mcgregor/Ambrose - He can't play all of them? Who will be back up

im very intrigued to see what formation and personnel he uses, especially with the defence as I can't see some of them being happy at being back up.

Even for me Fraser Murray should be there or there abouts after the fantastic pre season they've had.

Its too early to judge the Lithuanian lads but I imagine both of them will be close to the starting 11.

Nice to see someone keeping Murray in there :)

Obviously needs to prove he can do it against SPL opposition but 7 goals in 4 games surely makes a starting berth his to lose regardless of who else is in the team?

I think Bartley will play regularly - Celtic, Sevco, Sheep and Yams home and away and probably a fair chunk of the away games.
Other home matches and easier away matches I'd expect us to line up more attacking.

Defensively I think we'll switch between 2 and 3 Centre backs depending on how the opposition line up which I think will possibly leave Fontaine as a pure squad player seeing little game time (which is a shame as I like the guy a lot) and Porteous having to go out on loan (which again is a shame as he looks a cracking prospect and his early season form has been top notch....just can't see him getting ahead of the McGregor, Hanlon or Ambrose).

With Gray/Whittaker I'm assuming we'll be playing SW right of midfield and Gray as right back when both are fit.
That's fine in 4 at the back formations but a bit of an issue if we're playing a 3-5-2.

The Lithuanians I think will play a lot.

Slivka I'm not sure about but we certainly need cover in pure Centre mid as we only really have McGinn and McGeough with the latter's well documented injury problems. Weirdly (and don't ask me to back this up) I have a gut feeling that Slivka was signed as an every game player and I think we might see him and McGinn as the centre mid two as a fixture of all the teams.

Based on last season Lennon likes a big unit up front (and to be fair I think that approach was instrumental in some of our best results last season) so I think Davy will get a lot of game time.

Completely agree on Fraser Murray. After what he's done pre-season I want him in every squad and I'd like to see him start. Looks a great prospect and it sort of feels like now is the time rather than loaning him out.

The big question for me is that in most games I see us playing either 4 or 5 defenders and at least two and more probably three of McGinn, McGeough, Slivka and Bartley. That leaves 3 or, in the rarer occassions we go all out attack, 4 attacking slots.

You have Murray, Boyle, Stokes, Swanson, Big Davy, Graham (maybe Shaw?) and possibly Fraser Murray vying for those.
Nice problem to have.

Baw187
03-08-2017, 07:33 AM
To keep it simple, I reckon we'll see Rocky, McGregor, SJM, and Stokes in 90% of games with the others coming in and out depending on the system, tactics, injuries and form.

And Stevenson...

Hibeewilly
03-08-2017, 08:27 AM
To keep it simple, I reckon we'll see Rocky, McGregor, SJM, and Stokes in 90% of games with the others coming in and out depending on the system, tactics, injuries and form.

And Stevenson...
You might see Whittaker getting tried at left back instead of Stevenson

Baw187
03-08-2017, 08:32 AM

Possibly, although I reckon it would take injury, suspension or a dramatic loss in form for Stevenson to be ousted as he is solid and an integral part of our team now.

I'd have never said this 3 years ago but he's established himself nicely in the LB role

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver Fox
03-08-2017, 08:57 AM
I think Slivka will be an important player for us

cmcd
03-08-2017, 09:02 AM
So any thoughts on what our strongest 11 would be against Celtc and Hamilton?

I tend to think we'll be more 3-5-2 or attacking 4-2-3-1. One things for sure we have good options and competition for places.

Marciano

McGregor Ambrose Hanlon

Whitts McGeouch Bartley McGinn Swanson

Stokes Dave

Or an attacking 4-2-3-1

Marciano

Gray Ambrose Hanlon Stevenson

Whitts Bartley

Boyle McGinn Swanson

Stokes

Why would anyone leave Murray out at the moment .He has earned his place with work rate and goals ???

H18 SFR
03-08-2017, 09:05 AM
Do you not think with as in-depth a squad we have the the strongest 11 really depends on your opposition?

J-C
03-08-2017, 09:26 AM
I think it's been said that we now have a very strong squad with no real exact starting 11, Lennon's biggest test will be to keep all the players he has happy. We re signed a good few of last seasons players and added in real quality, generally a squad will have 11 best players with back up/ youngsters making up the squad but now we have a squad which has 2 starting 11's. I think Lennon will choose teams depending on opposition and players form, even Stokes mentioning about being part of a squad, I think Lennon has told the players it's all about the bigger picture and not individual gains, play as a squad and hopefully win as a squad, it's the modern way. Less injuries, better player and game management and everyone contributing to the cause.

Hibby Kay-Yay
03-08-2017, 10:33 AM
Why would anyone leave Murray out at the moment .He has earned his place with work rate and goals ???

It's a valid question and my thinking behind it is this.

When Stokes is match fit, I'd place him as our main goal threat. In the 3-5-2 formation I expect Big Dave to be the target man of which Stokes will feed off him.

In a 4-2-3-1 then this is a more pacier attack with Boyle, McGinn and Swanson running into space. Stokes I think has a more football brain than Murray, so would be better at pulling defenders to create the space for others.

AgentDaleCooper
03-08-2017, 11:47 AM
One thibg i don't get is that it seems to me ambrose and mcgreggor don't really understand each other, yet they are always paired together.

Stevie Reid
03-08-2017, 11:48 AM
Only time will tell. Great to have so may options though.

number9dream
03-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Slivka & Stokes have some catching up to do in terms of fitness, as does Hanlon. Injuries and suspensions will have an impact and having good options in every department should keep players sharp and focused.

We can field an exciting attacking side and we have the personnel to be super solid at tricky away grounds.

Roll on Saturday...

SirDavidsNapper
03-08-2017, 12:05 PM
The ginger goal machine would be the first name on my team sheet at the moment.

Smartie
03-08-2017, 12:07 PM
The ginger goal machine would be the first name on my team sheet at the moment.

Mine too.

I've been really impressed with him so far.

I'd be tempted to go with most of the players who have done the full pre-season with us, easing the other players in as they get fitter/ as we need them due to injuries or loss of form.

The Leith Dutch
03-08-2017, 12:16 PM

Your reasoning being?

I genuinely struggle with why people keep posting this here.
Whittaker can cover left back but he's significantly better on the right side of the team - either midfield or defence.

To play him at left back you're basically saying that our options at right back and right midfield are both better than Whittaker in those roles and are less droppable than Stevenson. Neither of those things is true far less both of those things.

Whittaker will play either at right back or in midfield and the only time we'll see him at left back will be in the event of Stevenson being injured, suspended or sent off.

Allant1981
03-08-2017, 12:25 PM
One thibg i don't get is that it seems to me ambrose and mcgreggor don't really understand each other, yet they are always paired together.

only way they will be better is if they play together and are arguably our best centre halfs so think we need to stick with them

Hermit Crab
03-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Having only seen him for 30 minutes at Alloa but he looked good, I can see Slivka forcing his way into the team, theres just something about him that makes me think he's a player. You don't get capped 20-30 ties if you're pish

AgentDaleCooper
03-08-2017, 01:03 PM
only way they will be better is if they play together and are arguably our best centre halfs so think we need to stick with them

I just genuinely think that hanlon makes everyone else around him play better and should be first name on the team sheet. Tbh, ambrose scares the crap out of me, though he is very good technically. Just wouldn't want him to be the last line, wpuld be interestingvto see him in bartley's role though.