PDA

View Full Version : Bloody excited

NAE NOOKIE
03-08-2017, 01:48 AM
At 57 years old and into my umpteenth season following Hibs I don't think I have been so excited looking forward to a first game of the season as I am for this one ...... I remember many opening days over the years I have approached for the most part with trepidation rather than expectation wondering if we would manage a good result in front of a hopefully decent 10,000 crowd with a team who hadn't set the heather on fire the year before.

This Saturday it is so different ...... We have a squad that on paper should be good enough to see off Partick Thistle, but because we haven't played in the top league for 3 seasons there is still that gnawing feeling that the reality might be different against a Thistle team who performed very well at times last season and all this in front of a crowd that could approach 19,000 .... that's against not Celtic, Sevco or Hearts, but Partick Thistle .... 19,000 .... bloody norah :greengrin

Will Thistle be like so many teams at ER over the last 3 years and park the bus for a stuffy draw?
Will Hibs play like everybody hopes they can and turn them over?
Will Thistle prove that the Premiership is a bigger step up than we thought and show that our defence has had it easy for the last 3 seasons, forcing us to re evaluate our prospects for this season?
Will the new singing section galvanise the whole FF to join in making for a real big game atmosphere?

This is what going to the fitba should be all about, I cant wait ....... What a time to be a Hibby :thumbsup:

Haymaker
03-08-2017, 01:50 AM
I'm :hyper

Wish I could be there

Hibbycol
03-08-2017, 01:50 AM
I agree .now get to bed just two more sleeps lol

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
03-08-2017, 01:59 AM
I agree .now get to bed just two more sleeps lol

I'm like Hibs.Nets version of the night time DJs on smooth radio stations .... my late night posts should be read in hushed silky tones like warm caramel being poured over black velvet ..... or it could just be insomnia of course :greengrin

Hibbycol
03-08-2017, 02:03 AM
I'm like Hibs.Nets version of the night time DJs on smooth radio stations .... my late night posts should be read in hushed silky tones like warm caramel being poured over black velvet ..... or it could just be insomnia of course :greengrinA fellow insn....! Inison....innisiom.....somebody that canny bloody sleep lol[emoji4]

Unseen work
03-08-2017, 02:06 AM
As a club we are in a very strong position at the moment.

We have recruited very well and seem to have quality AND quantity.

Lennon also seems to have added more goals to the side this season

Murray
Boyle
Stokes
Swanson

will all chip in, Mcginn seems to be getting better at it and I imagine young fraser and the Lithuanian lad will get a couple if they get the opportunity.

Defensively, on paper we are solid.

Imo we have a very good mix of small/big players and flair/Brawn players

Lets all hope it all clicks.

GlesgaeHibby
03-08-2017, 04:02 AM
Gutted to be missing it, don't fly back from Canada until next week but will be watching at 8am here on Sat morning and can't wait!

Amazing that the crowd is going to be around 19,000 and shows what fantastic work the club has done over the last few years, being in a position where we had a strong squad to build on with quality, and we've certainly done that. Hat's off to Partick too for bringing nearly 2,000 through.

Baw187
03-08-2017, 06:20 AM
At 57 years old and into my umpteenth season following Hibs I don't think I have been so excited looking forward to a first game of the season as I am for this one ...... I remember many opening days over the years I have approached for the most part with trepidation rather than expectation wondering if we would manage a good result in front of a hopefully decent 10,000 crowd with a team who hadn't set the heather on fire the year before.

This Saturday it is so different ...... We have a squad that on paper should be good enough to see off Partick Thistle, but because we haven't played in the top league for 3 seasons there is still that gnawing feeling that the reality might be different against a Thistle team who performed very well at times last season and all this in front of a crowd that could approach 19,000 .... that's against not Celtic, Sevco or Hearts, but Partick Thistle .... 19,000 .... bloody norah :greengrin

Will Thistle be like so many teams at ER over the last 3 years and park the bus for a stuffy draw?
Will Thistle prove that the Premiership is a bigger step up than we thought and show that our defence has had it easy for the last 3 seasons, forcing us to re evaluate our prospects for this season?
Will the new singing section galvanise the whole FF to join in making for a real big game atmosphere?

This is what going to the fitba should be all about, I cant wait ....... What a time to be a Hibby :thumbsup:

Top post!

And I tell you what, we need to accept that despite the recruitment and the team we have on paper, we may not completely gel and steamroll teams as some might expect.

Teams like Patrick have a good manager and know this league. They have some quality players of their own (and a top manager IMO) and we don't have a divine right to think we will simply beat these teams. Anyone thinking that needs to move themselves to KB cause that's the Hearts mentality.

And if we don't, then this place and our fans in general need to stay CALM and not turn in to frenzied doomsayers because that's life and it won't be through mismanagement or a lack of effort.

The attendances and the general feel good factor needs to be more than just results dependant. Yes, if we drop back in to the chronic days of Calderwood, Fenlon, and Butcher, that's different. But we have a good set up, a good manager, and a decent squad so I hope we are there behind the team for as long as that is the case regardless if we have the odd poor result.

Ray_
03-08-2017, 06:24 AM

The last time I was looking forward to a season as much as this one was in 1971, Eddie Turbull had rejoined Hibs as manager that July.

Thecat23
03-08-2017, 06:32 AM

Great post, exactly how I'm feeling about this sat.

aljo7-0
03-08-2017, 06:49 AM
Great post indeed. Sums up how I feel too - like a 5 year old waiting on Christmas.

Cannot wait until Saturday!

Wakeyhibee
03-08-2017, 06:56 AM
Top post!

And I tell you what, we need to accept that despite the recruitment and the team we have on paper, we may not completely gel and steamroll teams as some might expect.

Teams like Patrick have a good manager and know this league. They have some quality players of their own (and a top manager IMO) and we don't have a divine right to think we will simply beat these teams. Anyone thinking that needs to move themselves to KB cause that's the Hearts mentality.

And if we don't, then this place and our fans in general need to stay CALM and not turn in to frenzied doomsayers because that's life and it won't be through mismanagement or a lack of effort.

The attendances and the general feel good factor needs to be more than just results dependant. Yes, if we drop back in to the chronic days of Calderwood, Fenlon, and Butcher, that's different. But we have a good set up, a good manager, and a decent squad so I hope we are there behind the team for as long as that is the case regardless if we have the odd poor result.

OP and this. I have not been this excited about a start to a season for ages, there are so many positives Saturday can't come quick enough

The Spaceman
03-08-2017, 07:01 AM
Cannot wait for this season to start. Have managed to convince my step father (who took me to my first Hibs game when I was 9!) to get his first season ticket for nearly 20 years :aok:

blackpoolhibs
03-08-2017, 07:48 AM

I'm the same age as you, and could have written that myself, i think we are all excited about the coming season more than ever. :top marks

GreenCastle
03-08-2017, 08:24 AM
The team looks settled and we seem to have some decent depth now.

Excited to walk to ER and see the Hibs family again.

A relief we are back in the top league where we belong.

Also interested to see how the new singing section will be and hopefully it will be loud and colourful adding to the match day experience.

2-0 Hibs - SMurray and Boyle

Hibbyradge
03-08-2017, 08:31 AM
I echo the OPs sentiments entirely and I'm the same age.

I'm so looking forward to this season that I'm almost regretting not getting a season ticket.

Hopefully the team's potential will be realised.

we are hibs
03-08-2017, 08:36 AM
partick will come out and have a go at us i think. Should suit us as we have pace to catch them on the break and have the quality to dominate.

hibby6270
03-08-2017, 10:14 AM
To fuel the 'fire' even more (pun definitely intended), this wee vid from Hibs twitter feed gets the hairs on the back of your neck standing up.

https://twitter.com/hibsofficial/status/892828252968026112

Commenting on the OP thread title. Majority of us are excited with a touch of realism. 54 years of watching Hibs through good and bad times has to have realistic expectations. This coming season has that for me at a level I can't recall for many years.

Compare our realism to our Jambo neighbours complete fantasism. Yep - there is no comparison.
They are still trying to convince themselves that they are the same club they were 5 to 15 years ago. Clearly they aren't. By the same token neither are we 'the same club' but it doesn't take a genius to work out which club has the more positive outlook at the moment. GGTTH

Keith_M
03-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Thistle will be a good test of our Premiership credentials, as they have a decent team and did very well last season.

I think it's good to be optimistic, you need to as a Hibs Fan, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if we didn't win on Saturday.

I'm not being negative, just being realistic and trying not to be too dismissive of saturday's oponents.

Though I'd hate to lose in front of ~19k fans and put some of them off :greengrin

Weststandwanab
03-08-2017, 10:24 AM
I'm the same age as you, and could have written that myself, i think we are all excited about the coming season more than ever. :top marks

I have the same criteria to fit that gang and I too cannot wait for Saturday.

Foodie Festival first then Easter Road - if Carlsberg did Saturdays....

JeMeSouviens
03-08-2017, 10:32 AM
This has got 1-0 Thistle written all over it!

Sioux
03-08-2017, 11:07 AM
The last time I was looking forward to a season as much as this one was in 1971, Eddie Turbull had rejoined Hibs as manager that July.

Even the tornados didn't get the crowds we'll get this season.

Stevie Reid
03-08-2017, 11:16 AM

Was just gonna mention about Mowbray's first league game in charge, when we played Killie off the park but lost 1-0 to a deflected free kick - we still went onto have a great season that year.

I think Saturday will be a great game, Partick only seem able to play one way and I think we'll cause each other problems, and there will be goals. Could envisage a comfortable win, a Partick win, and anything in between.

Can't wait.

JeMeSouviens
03-08-2017, 11:17 AM
Was just gonna mention about Mowbray's first league game in charge, when we played Killie off the park but lost 1-0 to a deflected free kick - we still went onto have a great season that year.

I think Saturday will be a great game, Partick only seem able to play one way and I think we'll cause each other problems, and there will be goals. Could envisage a comfortable win, a Partick win, and anything in between.

Can't wait.

:agree: Exactly the game I was thinking of! Mind you, we saw enough in that game to be very hopeful for the season ahead.

Stevie Reid
03-08-2017, 11:45 AM
:agree: Exactly the game I was thinking of! Mind you, we saw enough in that game to be very hopeful for the season ahead.

Very true. Was far from disconsolate when I left ER that day.

NAE NOOKIE
03-08-2017, 12:28 PM

Normally you would get pelters for being negative with a post like that :greengrin But in truth its entirely possible that we could walk out of ER on Saturday having witnessed just such a result. We wouldn't be the first team, or even the first Hibs team, to have our bubble burst by a massive dose of reality when our optimism of how good our team is on paper was confounded by an opposition team full of savvy players with a good manager, who unlike most of our opponents in the last few seasons will be backed by a big noisy support.

The good news is that most Hibs fans though upbeat aren't getting carried away, I think we recognise that beating top teams in the cups might not be the whole story when it comes to the longer race that is a league season. But I think the very fact that to an extent we are about to step into the unknown is what is ramping up the anticipation and excitement for this game ..... If you back Hibs to win 3 - 0 ..... play out a turgid 0 - 0 draw ... or lose 1 or 2 nil who is to argue with any certainty that any one of those options will definitely be wrong?

We look good on paper ............. at 16:50 this Saturday we will have a better idea of how difficult its going to be to transfer that into a realistic challenge for the top 4 of the Premiership.

Garymcl
03-08-2017, 12:31 PM
Totally agree with most of the threads on here in that excited for Saturday we don't know what the result will be but let's do our bit as supporters get in early create a positive atmosphere back the team all through the game no matter how it's going no negative vibes Ggtth :flag::flag:

Mick O'Rourke
03-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Even the tornados didn't get the crowds we'll get this season.
You are correct.
Although many crowds then were higher than the ground can hold now .
But that would include large away supports too.
It's hard to explain why attendances back then on average were lower than last season,never mind what we expect next season.
Baffles me thinking on it now.
For those of you who did not see the Tornadoes.
Yes, there were as good as us oldies will tell you.
They were the best side since the FF team.
Possibly, the McLeish and Mowbray teams have been the best since the Tornadoes

Up until now !!

andybev1
03-08-2017, 04:58 PM
I think myself really lucky that I am a supporter at this time. Myself and my partner just moved back from London a yeaer last march and I bought us a season ticket just before the Scottish Cup final as I really wanted to go to my first one (what a great decision that turned out to be :thumbsup:), especially after watching us lose the playoffs. Last season was great and this season looks to even more exiting.

We are very lucky to have lennon.

BTW I guess the SJM song has been changed to say Neil Lennon's man?