PDA

View Full Version : Changed Days!

Forza Fred
02-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Not so long ago, our transfer activity consisted of 'last minute' shopping 'bargains'...ie leftovers.

The Board rightfully copped dogs abuse for this.

This season I don't think we could reasonably ask for any more than has been done.

I've followed Hibs for over 50 years and can remember RARELY ever being "happy" with a Board's efforts.

Hat's off to them now though, ALL have excelled, and the 'feel good' factor is once again embedded In our support.

To the Board, well done from a no longer grumpy old man!

Onion
02-08-2017, 09:21 PM
All starts with the manager. We've had so many clowns in charge that the Board have either had little faith in them and refused to back them with serious money or they've been unable to attract/spot decent quality players. Lennon is different, in the same bracket at Red Lex.

Can't overstate the impact 12000 season tickets has had on making this happen !

greenpaper55
02-08-2017, 09:21 PM
I think you can put most of this down to Lean, Rod will be having a lie down and in need of a stiff drink after the spending spree !

jijihibby
03-08-2017, 03:17 AM
Agree absolutely with ''Changed Days.'' No matter how this season goes, and it may take time for it all to gel, this is a completely new era, different from anything that has gone before, a new atmosphere exists, a new professionalism, a new approach, this is the real thing. The manager change was inspired, but even more so was the appointment of Leanne Dempster. If the crowds keep building at the present rate they will have to fill-in the four corners. Happy Days are Here Again.

This season I don't think we could reasonably ask for any more than has been done.

I've followed Hibs for over 50 years and can remember RARELY ever being "happy" with a Board's efforts.

Hat's off to them now though, ALL have excelled, and the 'feel good' factor is once again embedded In our support.

To the Board, well done from a no longer grumpy old man![/QUOTE]

Haymaker
03-08-2017, 03:33 AM
We've certainly made a statement.

Ozyhibby
03-08-2017, 06:51 AM
Leeann has done a wonderful job since she came in, as has George Craig. There is now a structure in place that makes the managers job very easy. Same thing happened at Motherwell when she was there. Craig Brown, Mark McGhee and Stuart McCall all performed way above their norm when there. That's what having a good CEO does.
Also the massive crowds we are getting will be playing a part in the finance available. It's time to make sure that advantage counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lucky
03-08-2017, 07:01 AM
Look how George Craig behaves compared to Harry Potter. Hibs have got the set up correct off the pitch and leave the Head coach and players to get it right on it. Harry Potter sending bits of paper down to pitchside is cringeworthy and generally interfering in the coaches job is wrong and never ends well. We've learned our lesson that good leadership in boardroom is vital but appointing a great heed coach is more important

heretoday
03-08-2017, 08:14 AM
Everything is in place and looking good.

Let's hope the team delivers.

03-08-2017, 08:32 AM
Compare the signing over the last 3 years to the ones before relegation.

Before relegation:

Kujabi
Doherty
Micheal Nelson
Ryan McGivern
James Collins
Rowan Vine
Kuqi
Tom Soares
Osbourne
Hart
Danny Haynes
Tudor Jones
Paul Heffernan
Fraser Mullan

Now:

Sir David Gray
Fraser Fyvie
Scott Allan
Dylan McGeoch
Liam Henderson
Anthony Stokes
Commons
Martin Boyle
Whittaker
McGreagor
Ambrose
Simon Murray
Fontaine
Matvin Bartley
James Keatings
John McGinn

The difference in quality is quite incredible.

Hibbyradge
03-08-2017, 08:45 AM
I think you can put most of this down to Lean, Rod will be having a lie down and in need of a stiff drink after the spending spree !

No he won't. He'll be excited about the new season like we all are.

I know you're not being entirely serious, but RP deserves credit for where we are too.

The position we are in is exactly what Rod has been aiming for; a club running within its means, with every spare penny being made made available for the playing side.

He made difficult decisions to deal with our debt and boy did he take some flak for doing so, but the future is very rosy as a result.

We don't have stands to build and our loan payments are consolidated and easily manageable.

Congratulations should be given to everyone who made this happen.

Is It On....
03-08-2017, 08:51 AM

Before relegation:

Kujabi
Doherty
Micheal Nelson
Ryan McGivern
James Collins
Rowan Vine
Kuqi
Tom Soares
Osbourne
Hart
Danny Haynes
Tudor Jones
Paul Heffernan
Fraser Mullan

Now:

Sir David Gray
Fraser Fyvie
Scott Allan
Dylan McGeoch
Liam Henderson
Anthony Stokes
Commons
Martin Boyle
Whittaker
McGreagor
Ambrose
Simon Murray
Fontaine
Matvin Bartley
James Keatings
John McGinn

The first list is hammer house of horror..

R'Albin
03-08-2017, 08:52 AM

Before relegation:

Kujabi
Doherty
Micheal Nelson
Ryan McGivern
James Collins
Rowan Vine
Kuqi
Tom Soares
Osbourne
Hart
Danny Haynes
Tudor Jones
Paul Heffernan
Fraser Mullan

Now:

Sir David Gray
Fraser Fyvie
Scott Allan
Dylan McGeoch
Liam Henderson
Anthony Stokes
Commons
Martin Boyle
Whittaker
McGreagor
Ambrose
Simon Murray
Fontaine
Matvin Bartley
James Keatings
John McGinn

I agree with the general point but the lists aren't really fair. The top one is missing the likes of Griffiths and Claros, with the bottom one missing players like Feruz and Dje Dje.

dunedinhibs
03-08-2017, 10:15 AM

Before relegation:

Kujabi
Doherty
Micheal Nelson
Ryan McGivern
James Collins
Rowan Vine
Kuqi
Tom Soares
Osbourne
Hart
Danny Haynes
Tudor Jones
Paul Heffernan
Fraser Mullan

Now:

Sir David Gray
Fraser Fyvie
Scott Allan
Dylan McGeoch
Liam Henderson
Anthony Stokes
Commons
Martin Boyle
Whittaker
McGreagor
Ambrose
Simon Murray
Fontaine
Matvin Bartley
James Keatings
John McGinn

That before relegation list actually makes me fee sick. Changed days.

West lower
03-08-2017, 10:19 AM

I know you're not being entirely serious, but RP deserves credit for where we are too.

The position we are in is exactly what Rod has been aiming for; a club running within its means, with every spare penny being made made available for the playing side.

He made difficult decisions to deal with our debt and boy did he take some flak for doing so, but the future is very rosy as a result.

We don't have stands to build and our loan payments are consolidated and easily manageable.

Well said. Sure he made some bad decisions previously. But he deserves credit for getting it right now, starting with the appointment of Dempster.

Not In The Know
03-08-2017, 10:20 AM
its quite simple - we the fans have made this happen by turning out in MUCH larger numbers than before.

So its down to us to be patient if things go slightly of track.

The_Todd
03-08-2017, 10:23 AM

Yup.

I mean, he's made mistakes and even with the capital expenditure of the new East and the training centre we should never have been allowed to get relegated or even come close with our relative income. But I'd never for a moment say we should never have built the East or the Training Centre. Rod Petrie isn't the devil, he's not out to harm our club - I sincerely believe everything he's done has been with the club's long term future at the heart of it. Even if he did make some honking managerial appointments.

Ozyhibby
03-08-2017, 10:34 AM

If crowds keep up, he'll have corners to fill in. [emoji6]

Hibeewilly
03-08-2017, 10:35 AM
Yes I agree with everything positive said about Petrie. We have made sacrifices to achieve it but what a structure he has put in place. I was a doubter I must admit but take my hat off to him now. Well done Rod

Pedantic_Hibee
03-08-2017, 10:37 AM
Petrie doesn't even get a tenth of the credit he indubitably deserves.

Keith_M
03-08-2017, 10:43 AM

:agree:

His dream of the Helicopter Landing Pad on the West Stand Roof is fast dissapearing into the horizon.

The Modfather
03-08-2017, 11:12 AM

I'm trying to refrain from replying whenever the subject of Petrie comes up as he certainly divides the support and it's time to enjoy the many positives at the moment.

That being said, I don't think he gets a tenth of the criticism he deserves either, and the work Dempster has done (an absolute miracle) makes it easy to forget just how much damage he did, and where we were.

He did the easy bits well. Investing the unexpected bonus from the golden generation, and by all accounts got a good deal in building the stand etc. His self sufficient vision is the correct one, but he had no idea how to turn it into a reality while being competitive on the park. The amount of money wasted on managers, squad rebuilds, club cultures, cultivated under his watch, needing changed, scouting departments that used Wikipedia, relegation etc etc.

Credit to him for belatedly admitting he wasn't up to the job and getting in Dempster, but it still sticks in my craw he didn't have the integrity of someone like Fenlon to walk away after disaster upon disaster.

Anyway, looking forward to Saturday :-)

Sir David Gray
03-08-2017, 11:13 AM

Before relegation:

Kujabi
Doherty
Micheal Nelson
Ryan McGivern
James Collins
Rowan Vine
Kuqi
Tom Soares
Osbourne
Hart
Danny Haynes
Tudor Jones
Paul Heffernan
Fraser Mullan

Now:

Sir David Gray
Fraser Fyvie
Scott Allan
Dylan McGeoch
Liam Henderson
Anthony Stokes
Commons
Martin Boyle
Whittaker
McGreagor
Ambrose
Simon Murray
Fontaine
Matvin Bartley
James Keatings
John McGinn

I just brought up some vomit in my mouth at reading some of those names on the top list!

Hibeewilly
03-08-2017, 11:16 AM
I'm trying to refrain from replying whenever the subject of Petrie comes up as he certainly divides the support and it's time to enjoy the many positives at the moment.

That being said, I don't think he gets a tenth of the criticism he deserves either, and the work Dempster has done (an absolute miracle) makes it easy to forget just how much damage he did, and where we were.

He did the easy bits well. Investing the unexpected bonus from the golden generation, and by all accounts got a good deal in building the stand etc. His self sufficient vision is the correct one, but he had no idea how to turn it into a reality while being competitive on the park. The amount of money wasted on managers, squad rebuilds, club cultures, cultivated under his watch, needing changed, scouting departments that used Wikipedia, relegation etc etc.

Credit to him for belatedly admitting he wasn't up to the job and getting in Dempster, but it still sticks in my craw he didn't have the integrity of someone like Fenlon to walk away after disaster upon disaster.

Thank god he didn't walk away RSF

lord bunberry
03-08-2017, 11:24 AM

Agreed. He had to move aside as he wasn't up to to the job. He brought the club to its knees.

JeMeSouviens
03-08-2017, 11:25 AM

:agree: ... and he was ****** lucky to have that car park to sell when he did.

Ozyhibby
03-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Petrie will get no credit from me anytime soon.

Baader
03-08-2017, 11:30 AM
Nightmares about that first half of the players list. Truly abysmal.

Mick O'Rourke
03-08-2017, 11:46 AM
If crowds keep up, he'll have corners to fill in. [emoji6]

That is a job for Hendo!!

Drumlanrig
03-08-2017, 11:52 AM
Nightmares about that first half of the players list. Truly abysmal.

Yep me too.................................... Nurse.........Nurse!!!!!!

blackpoolhibs
03-08-2017, 11:53 AM
As someone else posted, Petrie brought the club to its knees, it took SOMEONE ELSE to rescue it.

I think he should still leave now, as when the first dip comes and it will, he will get the blame for one reason or another.

The radiation might have reduced the cancer, but it's still there.

Smartie
03-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Petrie deserves criticism for the mistakes he's made and he deserves praise for the good he's done.

I don't think I've ever looked forward to a season as much as this one, so Mr Petrie should be pleased with his recent accomplishments.

He's only ever a string of bad results away from us turning on him again though.

CyberSauzee
03-08-2017, 12:08 PM

Before relegation:

Kujabi
Doherty
Micheal Nelson
Ryan McGivern
James Collins
Rowan Vine
Kuqi
Tom Soares
Osbourne
Hart
Danny Haynes
Tudor Jones
Paul Heffernan
Fraser Mullan

Now:

Sir David Gray
Fraser Fyvie
Scott Allan
Dylan McGeoch
Liam Henderson
Anthony Stokes
Commons
Martin Boyle
Whittaker
McGreagor
Ambrose
Simon Murray
Fontaine
Matvin Bartley
James Keatings
John McGinn

An amazing difference in quality. Some of those names I've successfully erased from memory.

Kujabi though, I thought that word was barred from here. I shudder every time I see it, thoughts of him playing everyone onside in a certain cup final are unforgivable. Last seen playing for Soham Town Rangers for a few games last season in Isthmian Divison One North Pub League. Where is he now? Who cares.

03-08-2017, 03:48 PM
I agree with the general point but the lists aren't really fair. The top one is missing the likes of Griffiths and Claros, with the bottom one missing players like Feruz and Dje Dje.

True but Griffiths was a rare gem in a very bad bunch. Just as Djeje and Freud were rare duds in a very good bunch. The point being that in general the standard between then and now is like night and day!

03-08-2017, 03:50 PM
The first list is hammer house of horror..

Agreed. Absolutely frightening that that was the standard of player we brought in. That list is very grim reading indeed! The name Rowan Vine still gives me nightmares, an absolutely honking player!

Jack Hackett
03-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Agreed. Absolutely frightening that that was the standard of player we brought in. That list is very grim reading indeed! The name Rowan Vine still gives me nightmares, an absolutely honking player!

Never took to the beard. Didn't look like a football player.

No offence intended to the hairy types, but when I see those big beards out and about in the summer in a pair of sprayed on shorts with the filled nappies inside and wee canvas shoes on... it just creases me up :faf:

bill_reed
03-08-2017, 04:04 PM
Not so long ago, our transfer activity consisted of 'last minute' shopping 'bargains'...ie leftovers.

To the Board, well done from a no longer grumpy old man!
I too have supported Hibs since 1963 and don't remember starting a season with such a strong team on paper before... full of hope and excitement for the coming season....

03-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Never took to the beard. Didn't look like a football player.

No offence intended to the hairy types, but when I see those big beards out and about in the summer in a pair of sprayed on shorts with the filled nappies inside and wee canvas shoes on... it just creases me up :faf:

That's because he wasn't!

penihibs
03-08-2017, 05:50 PM

No question he deserves credit,think at one time he only thought about the money side but it showed in the dvd That Hibs have got under his skin big time aswell.

Lago
03-08-2017, 06:32 PM
:top marks

Onion
03-08-2017, 07:08 PM

Before relegation:

Kujabi
Doherty
Micheal Nelson
Ryan McGivern
James Collins
Rowan Vine
Kuqi
Tom Soares
Osbourne
Hart
Danny Haynes
Tudor Jones
Paul Heffernan
Fraser Mullan

Now:

Sir David Gray
Fraser Fyvie
Scott Allan
Dylan McGeoch
Liam Henderson
Anthony Stokes
Commons
Martin Boyle
Whittaker
McGreagor
Ambrose
Simon Murray
Fontaine
Matvin Bartley
James Keatings
John McGinn

First list is truly frightening, with not a footballer among them. How the Hell did the club allow that lot to sign for Hibs and to think we actually paid serious money for James Collins :sick:

SmashinGlass
03-08-2017, 07:25 PM

Absolutely. It has to be said that Rod has taken an incredible amount of flak but is now, to some degree, vindicated for his supposed penny pinching. This is absolutely what he aimed for and he deserves a huge amount of plaudits for where we are as a club now. I've been very critical of Rod in the past by am more than happy to eat a fair slice of humble pie.

We only need to watch his interview in the Time for Heroes DVD to know that, like us, he gets it.

madabouthibs
03-08-2017, 07:32 PM
This is the rewards finally being reaped from having our stadium developed and investing in the training facility a few years back.
OK, there was probably a time when we thought it was all a waste of money, it's taken a while, but at last we'll maybe now see some real progress on the pitch. GGTTH

Wee Effen Bee
03-08-2017, 07:50 PM
:top marks
Got to agree with you Brother/Sister.
Also, I just can't commit to the 'hang Petrie' brigade. The guy followed Tom Farmer's instructions to the letter. His aim was/is to make the club self sustaining - looking to be completely debt free - whilst still challenging for silverware. To say Petrie only thought about money is very close to his remit actually - he never was a 'football' man. Anyway, was it his decision to go for Wonder Woman, I mean Leanne? Master stroke by whomever it was and, at the end of the day, we are now financially better off than most in the league with an exciting looking squad which may or may not do well this season. I'm just looking forward to this season more than I ever have done.

tamig
03-08-2017, 10:23 PM
True but Griffiths was a rare gem in a very bad bunch. Just as Djeje and Freud were rare duds in a very good bunch. The point being that in general the standard between then and now is like night and day!

Djedje did a job. He was hardly a dud. To tar him with the same brush as some of the others is grossly unfair imo.

04-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Djedje did a job. He was hardly a dud. To tar him with the same brush as some of the others is grossly unfair imo.

Ok, fair do's maybe "dud" is a bit harsh but he was one of few Stubbs signings that never really cut it