PDA

View Full Version : So, £198 million for Neymar

Hibernia&Alba
02-08-2017, 05:28 PM
Just when I thought the football price bubble couldn't get any crazier, PSG look likely to break the transfer fee world record by more than double. This is what it must have been like on Wall Street in the months before October 1929: a frenzy which defies all rational thinking. Football at the elite level has gone completely bonkers; who knows where it will all end. We're now at £200 million pound players!

Famous Fiver
02-08-2017, 05:35 PM
Can cost all he wants.

That day at Hampden was PRICELESS!!!!!!

easty
02-08-2017, 05:36 PM
On one hand...ridiculous.

On the other...they're talking about £50m for Sigurdson. Then there's £30m for Michael Keane, £20m+ for Nathan Ake, £50m Kyle Walker, £60m Morata. If that's the market values then Neymars a good buy at £200m.

SirDavidsNapper
02-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Scandalous if you ask me. In a time where hard working people are struggling week to week. I hope these clubs come crashing down with a massive bang.

hibsbollah
02-08-2017, 05:41 PM
I'm not sure how PSG have managed to dodge the FFP regulations which are supposed to stop this sort of thing... I posted a link on a similar thread a while back.

AgentDaleCooper
02-08-2017, 05:41 PM
Thank **** we're hibs. These mega-clubs live in a delusion, and it can't end well IMO.

SirDavidsNapper
02-08-2017, 05:44 PM
Thank **** we're hibs. These mega-clubs live in a delusion, and it can't end well IMO.

Yip. They have no soul.

Cabbage7062
02-08-2017, 05:46 PM
Sky sports saying the deal is worth £450m all in over 5 years!! £515k a week... After tax!!! Absolutely mental.

Hibi
02-08-2017, 05:47 PM
Sky sports saying the deal is worth £450m all in over 5 years!! £515k a week... After tax!!! Absolutely mental.

It's frightening, game is burst

matty_f
02-08-2017, 05:49 PM
If that's the market then fair enough. These players generate a huge amount of money so why shouldn't they get paid for it?

Movie stars, musicians etc can earn huge sums of money if they're the best in their industry - why should footballers be any different.

AgentDaleCooper
02-08-2017, 05:50 PM

what the hell is he going to do with all that money.

Hibernia&Alba
02-08-2017, 05:50 PM
I'm not sure how PSG have managed to dodge the FFP regulations which are supposed to stop this sort of thing... I posted a link on a similar thread a while back

UEFA statement earlier today:

"We have not received complaints from anyone regarding this matter. All clubs in Europe must respect financial fair-play rules and must demonstrate that they do not have losses of more than 30m euros over three years. As part of the continuous monitoring of clubs under financial fair play regulations, UEFA will look into the details of this transfer in due course to ensure PSG are compliant with FFP requirements. The transfer of Neymar to PSG will have an effect on the club finances over several years but the impact of such an operation cannot be judged in advance, notably as PSG could well sell several players for a significant amount. We shall therefore only make calculations at the end and make sure that they respect the rules."

My_Wife_Camille
02-08-2017, 05:51 PM
If that's the market then fair enough. These players generate a huge amount of money so why shouldn't they get paid for it?

Movie stars, musicians etc can earn huge sums of money if they're the best in their industry - why should footballers be any different.
Exactly. Don't see the problem at all.

CRAZYHIBBY
02-08-2017, 05:51 PM
Maybe not in our lifetime but i reckon these kind of prices and salaries will be the death of football

Billy Whizz
02-08-2017, 05:52 PM

"We have not received complaints from anyone regarding this matter. All clubs in Europe must respect financial fair-play rules and must demonstrate that they do not have losses of more than 30m euros over three years. As part of the continuous monitoring of clubs under financial fair play regulations, UEFA will look into the details of this transfer in due course to ensure PSG are compliant with FFP requirements. The transfer of Neymar to PSG will have an effect on the club finances over several years but the impact of such an operation cannot be judged in advance, notably as PSG could well sell several players for a significant amount. We shall therefore only make calculations at the end and make sure that they respect the rules."

Make calculations at the end?
Win all the trophies by grossly over spending, where have we seen this before

hibsbollah
02-08-2017, 05:56 PM

http://www.uefa.com/community/news/newsid=2064391.html

But the rules also state that you can't spend 5 million euros more than you earn as a club. If the definition of club is actually 'owner' (in this case, the government of Qatar) its probably right that Qatar probably has earned more than €192,999,000, but PSG as a club surely haven't?

I doubt we've heard the last of this.

Barney McGrew
02-08-2017, 06:01 PM
They're apparently giving him a six year deal, which will allow them to spread the fee over the length of the contract at about £35m a year.

Sell one one player a year to cover that and they'll be fine.

Hibernia&Alba
02-08-2017, 06:04 PM
They're apparently giving him a six year deal, which will allow them to spread the fee over the length of the contract at about £35m a year.

Sell one one player a year to cover that and they'll be fine.

Haven't Barcelona said they want the full buy out close deposited into their account for the transfer to happen?

1van Sprou7e
02-08-2017, 06:09 PM
I heard a "3rd party" Qatari organisation were giving him the money so that he could pay his own buy out clause making him a free agent?

So technically the club isn't spending anything on the transfer fee

DH1875
02-08-2017, 06:11 PM
Barcelona moaning about dodgy transfer dealings lol :greengrin.

Apparently the hold up is that Barca owe Neymar's dad £22 million and they've told him he's no getting it if Neymar moves. Doesn't sound dodgy at all does it :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
02-08-2017, 06:13 PM
Barcelona moaning about dodgy transfer dealings lol :greengrin.

Apparently the hold up is that Barca owe Neymar's dad £22 million and they've told him he's no getting it if Neymar moves. Doesn't sound dodgy at all does it :greengrin

It's all so grubby and corrupt. Wherever you get big money slushing around there's corruption and greed. Football is just the same.

Barney McGrew
02-08-2017, 06:20 PM
Haven't Barcelona said they want the full buy out close deposited into their account for the transfer to happen?

Yup, but I think PSG are allowed to split the cost over the duration of the contract for accounting purposes as accruals.

Tobias Funke
02-08-2017, 06:45 PM
Yup, but I think PSG are allowed to split the cost over the duration of the contract for accounting purposes as accruals.

Prepayments :wink:

Colr
02-08-2017, 06:48 PM
I'm not sure how PSG have managed to dodge the FFP regulations which are supposed to stop this sort of thing... I posted a link on a similar thread a while back.

Let me guess. Their owner will lend the club the money and get interest back. It's a bit of sharp tax dodging accountancy to divert money into the poxkets of the super rich.

johnbc70
02-08-2017, 07:20 PM
I heard a "3rd party" Qatari organisation were giving him the money so that he could pay his own buy out clause making him a free agent?

So technically the club isn't spending anything on the transfer fee

Read similar, he is being paid £200M to be a Qatari ambassador and will buy out his own contract. Does that effectively make him a free transfer?

Hibbyradge
03-08-2017, 08:25 AM
£38m going to the agent and Neymar sent!

£520k per week, after tax, to the player.

For kicking a ball about. :crazy:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/02/neymar-psg-barcelona-tells-team-mates-leave?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Geo_1875
03-08-2017, 08:38 AM
Got to laugh at the Spanish FA guy talking about FFP. Barcelona and Real Madrid have carved up La Liga with their own TV and sponsorship deals and carry more debt than some small countries. They're just scared that PSG have the Qatar money behind them and might take a slice of their pie.

Liberal Hibby
03-08-2017, 10:20 AM
To put it into perspective as some wag on twitter said £198m is the equivalent of 2 DUP MPs...

Keith_M
03-08-2017, 10:31 AM
I remember being amazed as a kid at the first £1M transfer (Trevor Francis) and thought the world had gone mad.

Although, the Yanks had long since moved on from that, as they already had The Six Million Dollar Man.

:wink:

Allant1981
03-08-2017, 11:18 AM
crazy money, paddy power have a thing just now where you can see how long it would take neymar to earn what you earn in a year, would only take him something like 10 hours to make what i get in a year, mental!

Beefster
03-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Read similar, he is being paid £200M to be a Qatari ambassador and will buy out his own contract. Does that effectively make him a free transfer?

According to the BBC, the player must buy out his own contract via the league. It would be the same for any other player at a Spanish club with a buyout value in their contract.

Baader
03-08-2017, 11:23 AM
£38m going to the agent and Neymar sent!

£520k per week, after tax, to the player.

For kicking a ball about. :crazy:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/02/neymar-psg-barcelona-tells-team-mates-leave?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

In Ligue 1 as well!

Keith_M
03-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Apparently La Liga are now refusing to allow him to buy out his contract.

HERE (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/03/psg-neymar-buy-out-rejected-la-liga-barcelona)

Mantis Toboggan
03-08-2017, 12:10 PM
Apparently La Liga are now refusing to allow him to buy out his contract.

HERE (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/03/psg-neymar-buy-out-rejected-la-liga-barcelona)

Just trying to make some sort of futile point by the look of it. FFP (the given reason) has nothing to do with individual transfers, and its not for La Liga to make assessments about compliance in any case.

hibsbollah
21-08-2017, 10:53 AM
Anyone see his home debut last night? Just unbelievable, unstoppable performance. Scored a ridiculous goal, the sixth in a 6-2 thrashing. (sounds familiar).

http://m.ligue1.com/videos

snooky
21-08-2017, 11:04 AM
It's funny how some people can talk in millions of £ for athletes who kick a ball about as if it was nothing yet complain about some poor chap without a job picking up dole money for 'doing nothing.' All is not bad I suppose, at least they have some empathy for the player. :rolleyes:

hibsbollah
01-09-2017, 05:45 PM
UEFA announces investigation.

https://m.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/L-uefa-ouvre-une-enquete-sur-le-psg-dans-le-cadre-du-fair-play-financier/830840

Speedy
01-09-2017, 06:26 PM
UEFA announces investigation.

https://m.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/L-uefa-ouvre-une-enquete-sur-le-psg-dans-le-cadre-du-fair-play-financier/830840

The Mbappe transfer sounds particularly dodgy.

nonshinyfinish
01-09-2017, 07:47 PM
The Mbappe transfer sounds particularly dodgy.

Yeah, that seems like them blatantly playing the system. Whether it's actually outside of the rules is a different question.

Also interesting to see what the penalty would be if they get done, as second-time offenders.

jacomo
01-09-2017, 10:14 PM
Just trying to make some sort of futile point by the look of it. FFP (the given reason) has nothing to do with individual transfers, and its not for La Liga to make assessments about compliance in any case.

This is true.

However to their credit La Liga have been punishing their own clubs for breaking transfer rules.

Also they are probably incensed that PSG have signed one of their most marketable stars!

Mibbes Aye
01-09-2017, 11:43 PM
Where it will get interesting is if the authorities do try and clamp down, and the players then launch counter-actions citing restraint of trade.

Bosman was essentially the precursor to this. UEFA's lawyers will no doubt have planned against such a defence and one assumes there will be no shortage of lawyers on the other side who can argue it's an illegal restriction on freedom of movement.

The lawyers will certainly get richer.

jgl07
01-09-2017, 11:54 PM
Just when I thought the football price bubble couldn't get any crazier, PSG look likely to break the transfer fee world record by more than double. This is what it must have been like on Wall Street in the months before October 1929: a frenzy which defies all rational thinking. Football at the elite level has gone completely bonkers; who knows where it will all end. We're now at £200 million pound players!
Well United have spent virtually that on two average players: Pogba and Lukaku.

Mibbes Aye
02-09-2017, 03:13 AM

I don't think you can call them average.

Pogba is genuinely one of the best midfielders in the world. He's got numerous Serie A titles already and he's only 24. He's been inconsistent so far at Old Trafford but he nevertheless is streets ahead of anyone else and I believe he will settle into the EPL and dominate.

I don't like Man U but with Mourinho in charge, the ultimate pragmatist, I don't see why Pogba won't snag another Champions' League, let alone league titles. The only English club who has done better business in the window is probably WBA.

Lukaku is a great signing, a big,rumbustious forward who has consistently scored goals at EPL level for Everton over a number of seasons. He should get better service at Man U and hence will score even more.

Of the top clubs, Man U have probably done best in the window. As an Arsenal fan, it pains me to say that they have done worst.

jacomo
02-09-2017, 05:17 PM

Apparently Lukaku wanted to return to Chelsea but his first touch took him to Old Trafford instead.

Just Jimmy
03-09-2017, 07:20 AM
So PSG will get fined 500k, which is hardly a week of Neymar's wages. They'll get a transfer ban from summer window to summer window.

That'll teach them now they have a really good squad...

It says more about Neymar and Mbappe anyway, leave Barcelona and skip a move to real madrid or such like to sign for a club in a tin pot league. All a bit; "rangers were the only club for me" circa 1998 ish.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
03-09-2017, 09:43 AM

This sums it up for me. Neymar is a snip at £198m because of his commercial value. PSG get one of the best players in the world AND they'll most likely turn a profit from having him at the club.

Nobody bats an eyelid at movie stars and musicians earning massive sums of money but for some reason when it comes to footballers it's met with people telling anyone who will listen that it is "sickening". Takes a hell of a lot more skill to be a footballer than a movie star, that's for sure.

hibsbollah
03-09-2017, 04:17 PM
This sums it up for me. Neymar is a snip at £198m because of his commercial value. PSG get one of the best players in the world AND they'll most likely turn a profit from having him at the club.

Nobody bats an eyelid at movie stars and musicians earning massive sums of money but for some reason when it comes to footballers it's met with people telling anyone who will listen that it is "sickening". Takes a hell of a lot more skill to be a footballer than a movie star, that's for sure.

Do you agree with Financial Fair Play regulations that aim to make football competitive? Id say the vast majority of fans do, and its one of the few good things to come out of UEFA. And even if you dont agree with it, or dont particularly care, they's the rules. Your analogy about movie stars doesn't work because there is no team sport element to being a movie star.

hibsbollah
04-09-2017, 10:19 AM
It's Obscene! - 06/12/2016 - @bbcradio4 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b084bmf5

This is good on now and will be on the I player.

jgl07
04-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Do you agree with Financial Fair Play regulations that aim to make football competitive? Id say the vast majority of fans do, and its one of the few good things to come out of UEFA. And even if you dont agree with it, or dont particularly care, they's the rules. Your analogy about movie stars doesn't work because there is no team sport element to being a movie star.

How will FFP make football competitive? Please explain.

It simply entrenches the power of the established clubs. For ten years or so four clubs - Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool - dominated the English Premier League. They got to the group stages of the Champions' League every year and consequently have vastly more cash to pay wages and transfer fees than other teams.

Mismanagement by American owners (all four!) has cut them down to and opened the door for Man City and Spurs to get in on the act. Had FFP been in place then, the old guard would have continued to dominate for much longer.

FFP was put in place by the insistence of the former G14 clubs in Europe to safeguard their own position. They were a self selected group of clubs who were largely responsible for the current structure of European Football and acted as a cartel to keep any upstarts in their place..

There is a point about the antics of Rangers and Hearts. However did either get banned from European Competition or fined by UEFA? No they did not. So FFP rules are useless.

hibsbollah
04-09-2017, 04:20 PM

It simply entrenches the power of the established clubs. For ten years or so four clubs - Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool - dominated the English Premier League. They got to the group stages of the Champions' League every year and consequently have vastly more cash to pay wages and transfer fees than other teams.

Mismanagement by American owners (all four!) has cut them down to and opened the door for Man City and Spurs to get in on the act. Had FFP been in place then, the old guard would have continued to dominate for much longer.

FFP was put in place by the insistence of the former G14 clubs in Europe to safeguard their own position. They were a self selected group of clubs who were largely responsible for the current structure of European Football and acted as a cartel to keep any upstarts in their place..

There is a point about the antics of Rangers and Hearts. However did either get banned from European Competition or fined by UEFA? No they did not. So FFP rules are useless.

You are confusing the rules enforcement with the rules themselves. The fact that PSG has clearly breached the spirit of the rules has now resulted in an attempt to enforce them.

To answer your question, the FFP prohibits a club from operating at extreme loss, and from spending more as a proportion of their turnover than they can reasonably afford. It could potentially result in a situation closer to the model in American sport where a wider range of teams can be competitive in a league, year after year. If you don't know much about it a good link is below.

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/latest-news/atletico-find-there%E2%80%99s-more-to-financial-fair-play-than-just-%E2%80%9Cbreak-even%E2%80%9D

And since the FFP effects all clubs equally, it's just factually incorrect to claim the G14 are using it to maintain their financial advantage. They won't have one if the rules are adhered to!

Hibernia&Alba
04-09-2017, 05:51 PM

Mismanagement by American owners at other clubs has nothing to do with Man City challenging, and you know it. It's Saudi oil money which is responsible for that; just like Ambramovic is responsible for Chelsea's success. Even La Liga are today demanding Citeh be investigated for breaking FFP rules! Spurs are a different case; they're spending their own revenue, like United, Arsenal and Liverpool.

Haymaker
04-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Mismanagement by American owners at other clubs has nothing to do with Man City challenging, and you know it. It's Saudi oil money which is responsible for that; just like Ambramovic is responsible for Chelsea's success. Even La Liga are today demanding Citeh be investigated for breaking FFP rules! Spurs are a different case; they're spending their own revenue, like United, Arsenal and Liverpool.

More like UAE oil money, not Saudi.

Hibernia&Alba
04-09-2017, 06:43 PM
More like UAE oil money, not Saudi.

Fair enough, UAE; plenty of oil there too.

Pete
04-09-2017, 09:16 PM

No investigation so It looks like nobody really cares any more. La Liga are now officially in the same category as all the Mancunians and Barcelonians from India/China etc...a bunch of greeting bairns who can't handle it.

Time to accept that City are the real deal and an asset in every community they touch all over the world. :agree:

Haymaker
04-09-2017, 10:13 PM
Fair enough, UAE; plenty of oil there too.

One or two barrels :agree:

GreenLake
06-09-2017, 06:46 PM
No investigation so It looks like nobody really cares any more. La Liga are now officially in the same category as all the Mancunians and Barcelonians from India/China etc...a bunch of greeting bairns who can't handle it.

Time to accept that City are the real deal and an asset in every community they touch all over the world. :agree:

It's great to see La Liga whining like bitches. They have plundered players from all over for decades and cheated the tax system.

Suck it up Tebas (http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41174403). F***** hypocrite. His neck must be made of brass.

jacomo
06-09-2017, 08:40 PM

:hilarious

Citeh are a sell out who got lucky. A sky blue franchise.

Pete
06-09-2017, 08:47 PM
:hilarious

Citeh are a sell out who got lucky. A sky blue franchise.

They get the glory without the hassle of all the glory hunters.

Sounds ideal to me. ;-)

Firestarter
06-09-2017, 10:29 PM

Sounds ideal to me. ;-)

I used to really like City, a proper football club that weren't manufactured, then they sold out. Game really. Game down South went completely when Everton done the same. Now the premiership is utter pants. Probably good if you live there mind but in real terms no team you can relate to now and Spanish football ****s all over it. Man Utd and Arsenal are now the only two respectable clubs in the Premiership who got where they are without the backing of wealthy owners ploughing billions in. Arsenal more so than untied but at least united would always be self sufficient.

HibernianJK
07-09-2017, 08:59 AM
I used to really like City, a proper football club that weren't manufactured, then they sold out. Game really. Game down South went completely when Everton done the same. Now the premiership is utter pants. Probably good if you live there mind but in real terms no team you can relate to now and Spanish football ****s all over it. Man Utd and Arsenal are now the only two respectable clubs in the Premiership who got where they are without the backing of wealthy owners ploughing billions in. Arsenal more so than untied but at least united would always be self sufficient.

Eh?

I'd argue that all the top clubs and even some of the smaller clubs in England got to where they are now due to billionaire owners ploughing their money in.

jacomo
08-09-2017, 11:46 AM

Sounds ideal to me. ;-)

Ha! They are a Disney club, a brand.

The glory hunters will already out number the 'real' fans. What is left of the club that played at Maine Road? Nothing except the colour of the shirts.

Citeh are far from the only ones to sell their soul. I'm sure many fans are enjoying their new found success.

But they are a sell out.