PDA

View Full Version : Lennon's contract.

munchar
02-08-2017, 12:49 PM
With the fantastic squad that's nearly complete, what's the latest with the managers situation? We need to realize we have a top, top manager here. Need to tie him down long term. I was very impressed last season how he rotated his squad. Nobody being dropped, just slipping players in & out of the team to keep everyone happy. There's now no subs who are weaker than the guys on the park. He has attracted top quality, and instilled a winning mentality that has been missing for decades. I hope this is just the beginning of our journey. We all deserve success. This feel good factor after "Humping the Huns" day is still continuing. Top players, top season ticket sales, top merchandising sales, & most importantly now, top performances. We tucked away lower league teams with 3 different sides very convincingly. In the past we've struggled to odd goal victories. Can't wait till Saturday now.
GGTTH ⚽️🇳🇬💚

Sean1875
02-08-2017, 12:53 PM
Was genuinely just thinking this too - if he gets off to a good start this season then I could easily see another 2/3 year deal coming for NL around October time :agree:

Im sure it was a 2 year deal he signed originally so only 1 year left!

WhileTheChief..
02-08-2017, 12:57 PM
I was just about to start a thread on this.

To me, this is our priority now. Hopefully we can get him to sign up for another 2 years or so.

My gut feeling is that he loves it here and will gladly sign, especially when you see the backing he's received.

He talks so passionately about us and clearly has a great relationship with the players and board.

I'd love it if he saw what McInnes has achieved and thought he would do similar with us.

I can't see him moving south to another Bolton type of club so think we might just have him around for a good few years. Fingers crossed.

Johnny Clash
02-08-2017, 12:58 PM
Would love to see his contract extended.

A strong , capable and competent manager like Lenny is what we need!

Spudster
02-08-2017, 12:59 PM
There's an opposite way of thinking of this. With this fantastic squad we will be expected to do well, if we don't that will be on Lennon. Any contract extension should be based on performance not the squad assembled.

WhileTheChief..
02-08-2017, 01:02 PM
Lennon will be expecting us to do well.

He'll ensure we do :thumbsup:

pacoluna
02-08-2017, 01:02 PM
There's an opposite way of thinking of this. With this fantastic squad we will be expected to do well, if we don't that will be on Lennon. Any contract extension should be based on performance not the squad assembled.

Aye a pessimists way of thinking.

munchar
02-08-2017, 01:09 PM

Would we sign a top player on a performance contract? If he has a good season, offers will come in & he could leave for free. I'm not expecting us to be challenging for 2nd place, be great if we could be challenging for Europe, but Neil Lennon will be expecting us to challenge. The mans a winner, with very high standards. We are lucky to have him.

Spudster
02-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Would we sign a top player on a performance contract? If he has a good season, offers will come in & he could leave for free. I'm not expecting us to be challenging for 2nd place, be great if we could be challenging for Europe, but Neil Lennon will be expecting us to challenge. The mans a winner, with very high standards. We are lucky to have him.
We would (try to) extend a players contract if he performed well if that's what you mean.

munchar
02-08-2017, 04:50 PM
We would (try to) extend a players contract if he performed well if that's what you mean.

What I mean is that if you sign anyone on a short term contract and they do well, you'll probably lose him for nothing, or they'll ask for inflated wages to sign again. I would see Lennon as a solid manager. Not so much a gamble I.e. Calderwood, Fenlon etc. 👍

coco22
02-08-2017, 05:04 PM
There is a positive pressure on Lennon to do well with the strong squad he has assembled (and I fully expect him to do so). He, no doubt, has aspirations to manage at a higher level again and needs this season to be a success. Would love Hibs to offer him an extension.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-08-2017, 05:10 PM
What puzzles me is why John Hartson and Chris Sutton have been so quiet about telling Neil Lennon to back the Leanne and the board when they were shouting about it when it was the other way around. IIRC Lennon was on a one year rolling deal at Celtc so maybe we should do the same.

SirDavidsNapper
02-08-2017, 05:18 PM
Lennon was extremely unfortunate at Bolton. His hands were tied. We have a very good manager at the club who in all honesty should be managing at a higher level. If we start the season well it could be one to remember and hopefully we extend his contract.

Callyballybe
02-08-2017, 05:57 PM
Was thinking the same myself. It's been relatively busy with transfers and rumours this summer, the fact that he has one year left I'm sure hasn't gone unnoticed. Would like to see this extended sooner rather than later.

I don't doubt that he's the right man for us, but if we have a good start and carry on with it for the first third of the season, would worry that other teams will come sniffing around him - possibly from the Championship down south.

147lothian
02-08-2017, 10:39 PM
This has been he best transfer window I can remember, there's no doubt Lennon is a high profile manager who has lots of contacts which makes it possible for him to sign a higher calibre of player than what we normally end up with, I would like to see the board showing ambition and trying to get NL signed on a long term contract.

I just cant wait for Saturday, how good is it going to be competing at the top end of the league with the puddle drinkers firmly in our shadow

HibsNutter
02-08-2017, 10:45 PM

We wouldn't have Stokes and Ambrose, probably our two most impressive signings, if it weren't for Lennon.

Baw187
02-08-2017, 11:24 PM
I love Lennon and think he's the right man for us. I fully expect him to do well with us this season.

But the board won't be looking to make any decision on a new contract until there is evidence of us performing well in the PL.

Hfcwilson3192
03-08-2017, 12:47 AM
With the fantastic squad that's nearly complete, what's the latest with the managers situation? We need to realize we have a top, top manager here. Need to tie him down long term. I was very impressed last season how he rotated his squad. Nobody being dropped, just slipping players in & out of the team to keep everyone happy. There's now no subs who are weaker than the guys on the park. He has attracted top quality, and instilled a winning mentality that has been missing for decades. I hope this is just the beginning of our journey. We all deserve success. This feel good factor after "Humping the Huns" day is still continuing. Top players, top season ticket sales, top merchandising sales, & most importantly now, top performances. We tucked away lower league teams with 3 different sides very convincingly. In the past we've struggled to odd goal victories. Can't wait till Saturday now.
GGTTH ⚽️🇳🇬💚
He's the stepping stone we've been needing. We've never had a manager in my lifetime with a will to win silverware like this man has a genuinely believe he will have us challenging for the title. Call me deluded aw yi like but I don't believe for a second he'll be going into this season wanting anything other than to win the league he's a born winner if he can get the players thinking his way we could be on to another Leicester. 250/1 is a cracking price tae.

Godsahibby
03-08-2017, 06:30 AM
Lennon hasn't done anything yet to deserve a new contract. Let's see how he performs in the SPL.

Thecat23
03-08-2017, 06:36 AM
Lennon hasn't done anything yet to deserve a new contract. Let's see how he performs in the SPL.

Completely disagree, got us promoted first season which was our main aim. So unlucky to go out against the Dons as well in the cup. Attracting players other managers wouldn't get that's for sure.

If anything hibs should be getting him in and offering a 2/3 year deal.

Canon Hannan
03-08-2017, 06:41 AM
What a fantastic signing he has been. Neil will be hard to keep now and I hope we can for a number of years. Wonder if the Lennon haters still feel this way? Have they changed their views? Would be good to know? Come on guys, confess to Canon 😀😍

Bob Box Fish
03-08-2017, 07:34 AM
Completely disagree, got us promoted first season which was our main aim. So unlucky to go out against the Dons as well in the cup. Attracting players other managers wouldn't get that's for sure.

This

Betty Boop
03-08-2017, 09:12 AM

:agree:

southsider
03-08-2017, 09:15 AM

Aye, him and SJM.

WhileTheChief..
03-08-2017, 09:17 AM

Seriously??

I doubt we will ever get a manager of his quality again. Have you forgotten some of the guys we've had over the last 20 years or so??!

I don't want to be going into next summers transfer window wondering who will be in charge and seeing this squad dismantled.

Long term stability provided by Lennon is what I'm after :)

ajf
03-08-2017, 09:29 AM

This:thumbsup:

Stevie Reid
03-08-2017, 10:41 AM
I've said this before, but back in 2014 - when Liverpool came within a baw hair of winning the EPL, and Lennon was winning the league again at Celtic after another year in the CL group stages - the thought that just two years later Rodgers would end up at Celtic, and Lennon would be at Hibs in the Championship, would have been a crazy one.

I think we are very lucky to have a manager of Lennon's experience and stature. I don't think a manager has quite 'got' us as a club, and simultaneously managed to instil a toughness in the players, whilst adding real talent to the squad, since McLeish - ironically, when we were last down in the Championship.

I am extremely optimistic for the new season - I just hope that when the inevitable odd bad result, run of poor form comes, that people don't overreact.

jacomo
03-08-2017, 01:50 PM
I like Lenny and I'm excited about the new season.

As for contracts, I'd be happy with a 12 month rolling deal. Realistically, if he gets an attractive offer from elsewhere and feels he has done all he can at Hibs he will be off, no matter what it says on a piece of paper.