PDA

View Full Version : Players Missing Out (Strongest Match Day Squad)

yerauldda
02-08-2017, 10:16 AM
In the unlikely event that we have a fully fit squad, there are going to be some very disappointed players missing out on the match day squad. My personal thoughts on the strongest XI and bench are below:

Marciano
Whittaker Ambrose Mcgregor Stevenson
Slivka Bartley McGinn
Boyle Stokes Swanson

Bench:
Laidlaw, Gray, Hanlon, McGeouch, Mateluvicius, S. Murray, F. Murray

This means players like Fontaine, Crane, Martin, Graham, Shaw and Porteous miss out completely. I can't remember a time when we've had so much depth, I don't envy Lennon if he has a full compliment to pick from!

Souter96Mac
02-08-2017, 10:24 AM
Marciano
Whittaker Efe McGregor Stevenson
Boyle McGinn McGeouch Swanson
Stokes S.Murray

A very attacking lineup I'll admit, but so difficult to choose a starting 11. Ofir is probably one of the only guaranteed positions along with lewy. I don't envy Lennon at all

Billy Whizz
02-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Marciano
Whittaker Efe McGregor Stevenson
Boyle McGinn McGeouch Swanson
Stokes S.Murray

A very attacking lineup I'll admit, but so difficult to choose a starting 11. Ofir is probably one of the only guaranteed positions along with lewy. I don't envy Lennon at all

It's a long season though, already 2 players suspended for 1st game, plus stokes not even match fit, and that's without getting any injuries

scoopyboy
02-08-2017, 10:26 AM
IMO there won't be two right sided defenders in a back four unless injuries / suspensions.

yerauldda
02-08-2017, 10:28 AM
IMO there won't be two right sided defenders in a back four unless injuries / suspensions.

Yeah that was my toughest choice in that XI, for me if Ambrose is fit then he starts so it's a pick between Daz and Hanlon. Really tough one.

SRHibs
02-08-2017, 10:31 AM
Can't justify having Simon Murray on the bench after his start to the season, IMO.

Alan62
02-08-2017, 10:34 AM
This is exactly the situation the manager wants. Players have to maintain high standards because there's always another guy breathing down their necks. It's a long season though and the full squad won't always be available. Hopefully, our high hopes for the season will be justified!

Ritchie
02-08-2017, 10:40 AM
Can't justify having Simon Murray on the bench after his start to the season, IMO.

He won't be. Stokes will be 2-3 weeks away from full fitness i'd imagine.

euro Hibby
02-08-2017, 10:46 AM
big strong squad for a long season with players in and out of form , injuries, suspensions, allows us to set up
for different types of teams. it is a long time since we have been so strong. ideal situation for a team which
wants and needs to compete all season. Not everyone can always be happy but it is a team game and a strong
pool to pick from will be great for the manager... Hibs deserve all our support......

Monts
02-08-2017, 10:49 AM
Just wait til Commons comes in! :top marks

Bishop Hibee
02-08-2017, 10:49 AM
Playing 3-5-2 our starting line up could be

Marciano
Ambrose McGregor Hanlon
Whittaker Swanson McGinn Slivka Stevenson
S Murray Stokes

18Hibee75
02-08-2017, 10:50 AM
Marciano
Ambrose Mcgregor Hanlon
Whits Slivka sjm Swanson lewy
Stokes Murray
Subs: McGeough, Big Dave, Bartley, Boyle, Gray, F.Murray, Ambrose.
Very, very hard decision. Never thought I'd make a starting line up for hibs where I'd leave out David Gray, and even players like Ambrose, Boyle, Bartley and McGeough all probably believe they should be starting and rightly so.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

hibsmad
02-08-2017, 10:53 AM
Yeah that was my toughest choice in that XI, for me if Ambrose is fit then he starts so it's a pick between Daz and Hanlon. Really tough one.

I don't think I could leave out McGregor or Hanlon and would probably have the two of them just ahead of Ambrose. However I'm not sure I could leave Ambrose out so think it will need to be a 3-5-2.

Good problems to have!

GreenOnions
02-08-2017, 10:57 AM
A great position to be in - and all our players will be needed. It's good to think that there is real quality to bring in when there are injuries/suspensions.

I think NL will play different formations which will imply different selections. The key will be establishing groups that gel together as quickly as possible.

FWIW I'd always want a fit Paul Hanlon in the team - due to his ability but also to the fact that he's left-sided. Also - I imagine that, if Gray is fit and playing well, both he and Whittaker would usually start - with SW in midfield.

WoreTheGreen
02-08-2017, 11:07 AM
God what a differene not to many seasons ago i struggled to name some off the journeymen/players playing.Well done NL and the board. They are showing the ambition we could only dream about that famous May day has totally rebranded this club

Dan Sarf
02-08-2017, 11:10 AM
I'd play both Marciano and Laidlaw in goal - they'd be unbeatable. Indomitable back line of Gray, Whittaker, Ambrose, Hanlon, Fontaine, McGregor and Stevenson obviously. Scheming midfield would be Slivka, Bartley, McGinn, McGeoch, Commons (if he signs). Top that with a devastating strike force of Boyle Stokes, Murray, (both) and Mateluvicius.

Never understood why folk think it's difficult being a manager. :greengrin

.Sean.
02-08-2017, 11:12 AM
Marciano

Ambrose McGregor Hanlon

Whittaker McGeough McGinn Slivka Stevenson

Stokes Murray

MacGruber
02-08-2017, 11:13 AM
Marciano
Ambrose Mcgregor Hanlon
Whits Slivka sjm Swanson lewy
Stokes Murray
Subs: McGeough, Big Dave, Bartley, Boyle, Gray, F.Murray, Ambrose.
Very, very hard decision. Never thought I'd make a starting line up for hibs where I'd leave out David Gray, and even players like Ambrose, Boyle, Bartley and McGeough all probably believe they should be starting and rightly so.

I always find this funny. Slivka has dislodged Bartley, Boyle Dylan and co. All of their contributions to date weren't worth 20 mins at Alloa. That's all it took to lose their place lol

Not saying new guys won't be first picks, just weird they go straight in is all

We are looking strong though which ever way you cut it

.Sean.
02-08-2017, 11:15 AM
If I was dropping one of the 3 you've mentioned it wouldn't be Hanlon or McGregor. First names on the teamsheet for me.

18Hibee75
02-08-2017, 11:26 AM
I always find this funny. Slivka has dislodged Bartley, Boyle Dylan and co. All of their contributions to date weren't worth 20 mins at Alloa. That's all it took to lose their place lol

Not saying new guys won't be first picks, just weird they go straight in is all

We are looking strong though which ever way you cut itTo be fair, I actually probably agree with you. However, I've just got a very good feeling about Slivka and I don't know why.

Brightside
02-08-2017, 11:54 AM
I think we will see a 352 in the majority of games. Against "weaker" opposition Ambrose can push further up when we are in possession.

Rocky

Daz Efe Paul

Whitts Dylan SJM Swanny Lewis

Murray Stokes

What a position to be in....

lucky
02-08-2017, 12:17 PM
Rocky
Whittaker Effe Hanlon Stevenson
Boyle McGeough McGinn Swanson
Murray Stokes

Speedway
02-08-2017, 12:20 PM
Marciano

Gray
Ambrose
McGregor
Whittaker

Slivka
Henderson
McGinn
Commons

Stokes
Murray

NAE NOOKIE
02-08-2017, 12:22 PM
I cant remember a time where we potentially have so much strength in depth .... the two Lithuanian lads are a bit of an unknown quantity, but if they turn out to be the players we hope they will Neil Lennon has a real head scratcher as to who to leave out especially at the back.

Marciano / Laidlaw
Marciano is a cert for the number one spot, but Laidlaw has proved he is a more than capable deputy.

Whittaker / Gray
Both hugely experienced, Whittaker will probably edge it but IMO Gray is very unlucky that Whittaker agreed to sign, otherwise he would have been a fixture.

Stevenson / Crane
As usual Lewis has no real challenger, if fit he plays unless NL decides to play Whittaker at left back ( unlikely ) ... the lad Crane looks more than decent to me, but he isn't going to dislodge Lewis.

Ambrose, McGregor, Hanlon, Fontaine, Porteous
Fonts and Porteous are probably going to be back ups here, but Fonts never lets us down and the lad Porteous looks a real prospect ... have we ever been so strong at centre half?

McGinn, McGeouch, Bartley, Swanson, Slivka, F Murray, Martin
NL will probably play horses for courses here with Bartley. The only ones who are close to a cert cert are McGinn and McGeouch ( if he can stay fit ) but any combination of that lot would be a good midfield .... From what I've seen of Murray so far he must be considered a real challenger for a starting spot, he can score too, he could be an even better prospect than Porteous, Martin has proved he is very capable too ..... If Slivka does turn out to be a player who was worth a punt by Juventus what a delicious midfield we will have.

S Murray, Stokes, Boyle, Matulevicius, Shaw, Graham
Murray has hit the ground running, but this is probably the most unpredictable part of the team. Can Murray replicate his Championship form in the Premiership? ..... Will Stokes be the player he can be regularly? .... How effective will Matulevicius be? ..... Is Boyle really a striker?, his finishing isn't the best .... Graham is really a fringe player ..... Oli Shaw shows promise, but I highly doubt NL will be willing to risk him in the Premiership at this point ..... Even if Stokes signs as it seems he will I would imagine NL is still looking.

Neil Lennon
A pragmatic manager who did what he was hired to do in getting us up, he has vast experience in the SPL and will demand the very best from his players ... looking forward to seeing him get sent to the stand at least once this season :greengrin

On paper we have a squad that seems well capable of challenging for the top 4, the only two unknowns are how effective will we be in the final third and exactly how much of a step up in standard are 90% of the clubs in the Premiership compared to what we faced last season?
From that point of view we couldn't have asked for a better barometer than Partick Thistle for our first fixture, they had a really good second half to last season, in that form they are placed exactly between clubs looking over their shoulder at the bottom two and clubs hoping to challenge for Europe, they have also had an excellent start to this season in the League Cup.

I don't think I've looked forward to an opening day fixture as much as I am this one, it will tell us a lot about where we are at and how good or perhaps not so good we really are ....... I have high hopes though, bring it on !!!

:flag:

KeithTheHibby
02-08-2017, 12:35 PM
There are some guys deserving of a jersey right now, namely Boyle and Simon Murray.
The keeper picks itself as does Efe, McGregor, Stevenson and McGinn.
I'd expect big Marv to play and one from McGeouch or Swanson. Big Dave to partner Murray up front.
Either Whittaker or Gray at RB and that's the team for Saturday.
Either way Lennon has a very strong squad with stacks of options. To be honest I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't have a great season this time around given the quality we have at our disposal.

alihibs1
02-08-2017, 12:40 PM
Wonder who will captain us on Saturday? Mcginn? Hanlon?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

High-On-Hibs
02-08-2017, 12:42 PM
......................Marciano.................... .......
Whittaker.....Gray.....McGregor.....Stevenson
......................Ambrose..................... ......
.......Bartley......McGinn.........Boyle.......... ..
..............S.Murray......Stokes................ ....

Subs: Laidlaw, Hanlon, Swanson, F.Murray, Slivka, McGeouch, Matulevicius

Will be interesting to see what Lennon actually goes for. With a fully fit squad the options are limitless.

NAE NOOKIE
02-08-2017, 12:53 PM
What I don't get here is the number of folk leaving Hanlon on the bench ..... up until he got injured he was an absolute rock and every bit as good as McGregor or Ambrose, not only that but it looked like he had improved as a player overall. For me Ambrose for Hanlon is far from the 'gimmie' most folk seem to think it is.

Roxyhibee
02-08-2017, 12:54 PM
In the unlikely event that we have a fully fit squad, there are going to be some very disappointed players missing out on the match day squad. My personal thoughts on the strongest XI and bench are below:

Marciano
Whittaker Ambrose Mcgregor Stevenson
Slivka Bartley McGinn
Boyle Stokes Swanson

Bench:
Laidlaw, Gray, Hanlon, McGeouch, Mateluvicius, S. Murray, F. Murray

This means players like Fontaine, Crane, Martin, Graham, Shaw and Porteous miss out completely. I can't remember a time when we've had so much depth, I don't envy Lennon if he has a full compliment to pick from!

We have indeed the best squad of players I can ever remember. Fantastic blend of experience, medal winners and promising hungry youths. Even The Tornadoes had a thin squad, but that's how it was in those days.

Saturday cannot come soon enough.! - Won't be easy though, so we have to be patient.

However, if every single player is match fit, Dylan McGeouch is the first name on the team sheet. Top class player who would be playing at a higher level if he weren't so injury prone. Just my opinion..

High-On-Hibs
02-08-2017, 12:57 PM
What I don't get here is the number of folk leaving Hanlon on the bench ..... up until he got injured he was an absolute rock and every bit as good as McGregor or Ambrose, not only that but it looked like he had improved as a player overall. For me Ambrose for Hanlon is far from the 'gimmie' most folk seem to think it is.

He needs to be eased back in to the squad. I think Lennon will work on the basis that if you're out of the squad for a while, then you'll have to show that you are fighting fit to earn your place back into the main eleven again. It's one of the best things about having options. It creates competition and gets the best out of players.

Franck Stanton
02-08-2017, 01:12 PM
With the squad we have available & so many different formations it is going to be very difficult for opposition coaches to drill their teams on how to go about playing against us.

BegbieHSC
02-08-2017, 03:03 PM
4-2-1-3 for me

Marciano

Whittaker/SDG, Ambrose/Hanlon, McGregor, Stevenson

McGinn, McGeough/Bartley

Swanson/Slivka

Stokesy, S Murray, Boyle