PDA

View Full Version : The Best Transfer Window Yet?

Thecat23
02-08-2017, 06:59 AM
With the team almost complete, looking over who we have signed and re-signed this is for me the best transfer window we have ever had. The standard of players we have is fantastic from goalkeeper right through to strikers.

We done to everyone on the board for backing our manager, who I think by the way is perfect for us as he knows what's needed to be a winner. Roll on Saturday, this could be a very exciting season for the Hibees!

Tobias Funke
02-08-2017, 07:05 AM
Cannot recall a Hibs squad as strong as this for a while, providing Stokes does indeed sign!

I know I am being greedy but one more quality attacker would be icing on the cake.

ian cruise
02-08-2017, 07:09 AM
As long as you aren't talking about the chat on here!*

Totally agree though, this transfer window has been unbelievable. Good signings in early. Could have finished there and gone with youngsters and we'd be mid table but the board pushed on and brought in experienced internationals who are all at a good age too. Neil and co. have been fantastically back by us and by the board, time to repay that backing with a good season. I'm sure he's as keen to get started as anyone. With the depth we have no one is guaranteed a starting slot either which must make his job a little easier too. It's certainly a nice problem to have.

*disclaimer - other hibs related social media is also available, and was just as painful at times, if not more so.

Craig_in_Prague
02-08-2017, 07:16 AM
TC - agree fully, the squad is strong in every position - we could field two strong teams!

When I watched the Ross County game, even though we weren't great, I thought we had real quality in every position.
The key now is to make sure we keep McGinn, coz he's very much looking like a 4-5M player that Lennon suggests, if Dylan stays fit and Stokes can get fit ASAP - We could be in for a seriously good season. We look solid at the back as well, which is key for any side.

Hopefully we can keep the pace with Aberdeen and Rangers and challenge up the top end.

Bob Box Fish
02-08-2017, 07:40 AM
Excellent window just need to keep mcginn now.

Brightside
02-08-2017, 07:42 AM
I cannot remember us being so strong in so many areas. We will also have another far left striker to come hopefully....

neil7908
02-08-2017, 07:46 AM
I was thinking about our first choice 11 and when you start to do that and see the number and quality of players left out, it's really staggering. Add some of the promising young players like F Murray and Porteous and we have extraordinary options.

Hopefully one more forward, keep McGinn and maybe bring in Commons I'll be in heaven!

Sas_The_Hibby
02-08-2017, 07:46 AM
I cannot remember us being so strong in so many areas. We will also have another far left striker to come hopefully....

I don't think the player's politics are relevant. :greengrin

Roxyhibee
02-08-2017, 07:48 AM
With the team almost complete, looking over who we have signed and re-signed this is for me the best transfer window we have ever had. The standard of players we have is fantastic from goalkeeper right through to strikers.

We done to everyone on the board for backing our manager, who I think by the way is perfect for us as he knows what's needed to be a winner. Roll on Saturday, this could be a very exciting season for the Hibees!

Agree. And in my case, that's a lot of transfer windows.!

Hopefully (surely) will mean a good few more Season tickets.

Deansy
02-08-2017, 07:51 AM
Excellent window just need to keep mcginn now.

The quality of the signings we've made, whilst improving the quality of our team, will also make it easier for players like SJM to remain !

Speedway
02-08-2017, 07:56 AM

That was a good one.

yonder1875
02-08-2017, 08:01 AM
What a squad Lenny is building, if we can keep McGinn - it'll be a dream window, realistically.

Bring on Saturday and let's pack ER out!

Laced1875
02-08-2017, 08:21 AM
Glad I bought my season ticket early ! Most exciting Hibs squad for ages, one more player to cover midfield and we are sorted.

keep the faith
02-08-2017, 08:24 AM
The window where we swooped for Matt done right on the deadline was sensational, but this one is good too. 😉

ronaldo7
02-08-2017, 08:29 AM

Spot on mate.

If we can keep Dylan fit all season, there could be more silverware to come. :greengrin

neil7908
02-08-2017, 08:29 AM
I think we're now seeing what a fantastic influence a manager like Lennon is having at the club.

Obviously can't say for certain but I don't imagine we'd have Ambrose, Stokes or Marciano if it wasn't for NL. With Commons potentially still to come his impact is now beginning to show massively.

Speedway
02-08-2017, 08:34 AM
I think we're now seeing what a fantastic influence a manager like Lennon is having at the club.

Obviously can't say for certain but I don't imagine we'd have Ambrose, Stokes or Marciano if it wasn't for NL. With Commons potentially still to come his impact is now beginning to show massively.

Agree Neil. There's quite a lot to learn from the interviews on the Reborn DVD.

On his first day he apparently said to the players, this is not a democracy, this is a dictatorship but one you'll enjoy.

You lost 8 games last season. That won't be happening again.

In those two sentences you saw the direction we were going in.

BSEJVT
02-08-2017, 08:35 AM
Spot on mate.

If we can keep Dylan fit all season, there could be more silverware to come. :greengrin

I have said often enough that I think Dylan is the best player at the club

However I am not sure he is going to play much under Lennon and I wouldn't be totally shocked if he was away before the transfer window closes.

I think we are going to set out to play at a much higher tempo and get the ball forward far more quickly than we have

I am personally not sure that's where Dylan's strengths lie

KeithTheHibby
02-08-2017, 08:38 AM
I really hope the team can live up to the expectations this season as it's some squad of players.

Brightside
02-08-2017, 08:40 AM
I have said often enough that I think Dylan is the best player at the club

However I am not sure he is going to play much under Lennon and I wouldn't be totally shocked if he was away before the transfer window closes.

I think we are going to set out to play at a much higher tempo and get the ball forward far more quickly than we have

I am personally not sure that's where Dylan's strengths lie

Dylan is the puppet master. Would be a huge mistake to let him go. Every team needs composure and that's his main element.

dunedinhibs
02-08-2017, 08:40 AM
The addition of a fully fit commons is just as exciting as the stokes signing. Getting him in part way through the season will be another great boost. Excited for the season ahead !!

Spike Mandela
02-08-2017, 08:45 AM
"The proof of the pudding......." as they say.😎

rotherhamrob
02-08-2017, 08:48 AM
I really wish I lived closer/could drive as I would be there every week.
Here's hoping we get off to a good start to keep this feelgood factor going.

BSEJVT
02-08-2017, 08:56 AM
Dylan is the puppet master. Would be a huge mistake to let him go. Every team needs composure and that's his main element.

Wouldn't disagree with you

I am just not convinced Lennon will see it that way

Stevie Reid
02-08-2017, 08:58 AM
I was always confident that will Dempster and Lennon here - as well as a substantial budget - that we would do some really big business this summer.

I can't think of a better window, and the previous best ones were the likes of Mowbray and Stubbs when the squad was in dire need of an overhaul. We were starting this one from a position of strength, it's incredibly exciting.

I said recently that I've a feeling about this team similar to what I had about McLeish's 2000-01 team - a quality football side that can battle and be physical also. We have a fantastic manager who can sign quality and improve players - if we all stay behind him during the tougher times, we can do great things, I'm sure.

Andy74
02-08-2017, 09:11 AM
I was always confident that will Dempster and Lennon here - as well as a substantial budget - that we would do some really big business this summer.

I can't think of a better window, and the previous best ones were the likes of Mowbray and Stubbs when the squad was in dire need of an overhaul. We were starting this one from a position of strength, it's incredibly exciting.

I said recently that I've a feeling about this team similar to what I had about McLeish's 2000-01 team - a quality football side that can battle and be physical also. We have a fantastic manager who can sign quality and improve players - if we all stay behind him during the tougher times, we can do great things, I'm sure.

The last bit is key - expectations will now be very high, lets hope things stay sane if we don't always match that.

Brightside
02-08-2017, 09:13 AM
The last bit is key - expectations will now be very high, lets hope things stay sane if we don't always match that.

I think if we can get top 4 then every single fan should be delighted. Progress is key.

KWJ
02-08-2017, 09:15 AM
I can't think of any better and if Slivka and Big Davie turn out to be success stories then wooooof!

RoscoHibby
02-08-2017, 09:21 AM
Some signings we've made, great times ahead.

We're gonna do a Leicester!

CallumLaidlaw
02-08-2017, 09:31 AM
Some of the things that have been chucked at us in the past -

- We have a team of loan signings - Not one single loan at present.

- We are a team of Celtic rejects - We have signed 2 ex-celts in the summer, and one of them had played for Hibs first. Also, we currently have as many ex-Rangers as ex Celts - McGregor, Whittaker, McGeouch Vs McGeouch, Ambrose, Stokes.

I'm excited about the coming season. We've built well. I would still like us to add a winger and maybe another striker to add some depth (Last year we had Cummings, Holt, Keatings, Graham - this year Stokes, Murray, Davy, and graham who is expected to leave, so would still like to see a replacement for him).

We definitely need to manage our expectations. Top 6 is now a minimum, but 4th would be fantastic in our first season back.

Stevie Reid
02-08-2017, 09:32 AM

Amen.

I think if we can get top 4 then every single fan should be delighted. Progress is key.

Although I think that we're more than capable of 4th - or maybe even 3rd - in terms of progress, I think everyone should be happy with top 6.

Ozyhibby
02-08-2017, 09:36 AM
Amen.

Although I think that we're more than capable of 4th - or maybe even 3rd - in terms of progress, I think everyone should be happy with top 6.

Top 4 for me. I want European football. It looks like our spending is starting to reflect that of a club getting 18k people along to watch a Partick thistle game.
The two Lithuanians are the wild cards. If they turn out to be quality then I think it's going to be a great season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scooby
02-08-2017, 09:36 AM

Agree 100% exciting times ahead. If we can get out of the transfer window and still have McGinn I'll be delighted.
Let's get ER rammed!

biotech
02-08-2017, 09:37 AM
My only concern is providing opportunities for young players to develop.

Winston Ingram
02-08-2017, 09:38 AM
Nothing will match our 1986 window. Caughey, Beedie, Kirkwood, McCluskey, Irvine :greengrin

--------
02-08-2017, 09:39 AM

Well, if we're looking for an attacker to play on the left, I'd be more concerned that he'd be a left-footer myself .... :devil:

--------
02-08-2017, 09:41 AM
Nothing will match our 1986 window. Caughey, Beedie, Kirkwood, McCluskey, Irvine :greengrin

Raising nightmare memories.

I hate you. :boo hoo:

Andy74
02-08-2017, 09:54 AM
My only concern is providing opportunities for young players to develop.

I think its difficult when you also want, or demand rather, to be competitive. They have to better than the players in front of them and how do they do that if its not through playing games.

Murray, Porteous, Martin and Shaw have all been given time so far and I think they will all play some part as we go on.

Vault Boy
02-08-2017, 09:57 AM
The quality we've signed is there to see. Night and day from a few years ago, it's great to finally have people running our club who deserve to be there.

--------
02-08-2017, 09:59 AM
I think its difficult when you also want, or demand rather, to be competitive. They have to better than the players in front of them and how do they do that if its not through playing games.

Murray, Porteous, Martin and Shaw have all been given time so far and I think they will all play some part as we go on.

:agree: Young Crane as well, I think. Those are five youngsters in the squad who really don't look out of place when they come on to play.

BTW, I'm not convinced that Neil's finished with the business yet ....

Firestarter
02-08-2017, 10:18 AM
Let the thing slam shut tonight.

JeMeSouviens
02-08-2017, 10:41 AM

As in one of the reds?

thebausburst
02-08-2017, 11:01 AM
Stokes best and biggest signing since Archibald no question.

JeMeSouviens
02-08-2017, 11:51 AM
In ones-that-got-away news Liam Boyce has done a cruciate and will miss most of the season. Sickener.

Barman Stanton
02-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Stokes best and biggest signing since Archibald no question.

Great signing but Sauzee was a far bigger signing. Stokes is a top player, but Sauzee was a former French captain and European Cup winner. Not even close really.

Speedway
02-08-2017, 12:39 PM
As windows go, this is one of those Everest ones where the feather just floats down the seal.

No draught in LD's frontage.

GlesgaeHibby
02-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Superb window. The emergence of Porteous and Murray has been excellent as well. Great to see real quality coming through our youth ranks - they've been like two new (quality) signings as well.

jacomo
02-08-2017, 01:56 PM
Mowbray's first summer when he signed Boozy and Murphy, amongst others - key signings that made an immediate and sustained impact on how we played.

And in the days before transfer windows - signing of Sauzee was huge.

makaveli1875
02-08-2017, 02:08 PM
Great signing but Sauzee was a far bigger signing. Stokes is a top player, but Sauzee was a former French captain and European Cup winner. Not even close really.

Correct

1van Sprou7e
02-08-2017, 02:18 PM

Agree but don't forget Sauzee was about 34 when he came here, Stoke has just turned 29 and in theory could still have some of his best seasons ahead of him

Barman Stanton
02-08-2017, 02:34 PM
Agree but don't forget Sauzee was about 34 when he came here, Stoke has just turned 29 and in theory could still have some of his best seasons ahead of him

Yeah Stokes is younger, but still not comparable to Sauzee. We are talking about a guy that had 39 French caps (9 goals), European Cup medal, other leagues etc.

High-On-Hibs
02-08-2017, 02:38 PM
Let's just agree that it's the best transfer window in the past decade, by a far far way.

Dashing Bob S
02-08-2017, 02:47 PM
I'd dispute that it's been that great a transfer window, but then I'm just being a ****er for the sake of it.

Barman Stanton
02-08-2017, 02:54 PM
Let's just agree that it's the best transfer window in the past decade, by a far far way.

Totally agree, been an amazing transfer window so far.

Onion
02-08-2017, 03:16 PM

Think if we're honest we don't really know how we'll do this season. Perm is a bigger dog fight than the Champ, with most teams able to beat any other, other than Celtic.
Just looking forward to seeing how good this Hibs team can be, easpcially against Sevco. Yams and Sheep. None of them will relish playing us.

02-08-2017, 03:45 PM
Some signings we've made, great times ahead.

We're gonna do a Leicester!

I've already taken up Skybet's generous odds of 500/1.

Jack Hackett
02-08-2017, 04:05 PM
I'd dispute that it's been that great a transfer window, but then I'm just being a ****er for the sake of it.

Is that you Hermit? Have you cracked DB's login? :bye:

Jack Hackett
02-08-2017, 04:14 PM
With the wealth of experience brought in (and re-signed), and the hungry young potentials blooded, all to be coached by Scotlands most successful manager... I see nothing but rainbows and unicorns

BRING. IT. ON. :flag:

Has somebody been at my tea :rockin:

jacomo
02-08-2017, 04:29 PM
I've already taken up Skybet's generous odds of 500/1.

So have I!

Just waiting on an injury crisis at Celtc...

Hibrandenburg
02-08-2017, 05:55 PM
"The proof of the pudding......." as they say.😎

:agree:

WhileTheChief..
02-08-2017, 08:07 PM
Finally we are seeing real investment in the playing squad and are building something special. We had years of infrastructure and debt issues but the path is clear now to push on.

This is by far the best transfer window I can remember and I've never looked forward to the start of a season with as much optimism as now.

Not only that, but the near future looks fantastic. Decent length contracts for our top players and some genuine prospects coming through to the first team.

When was the last time things felt this good? Loving it.

Oh, I still think Commons will end up playing for us :greengrin

Perfect.

Unseen work
03-08-2017, 01:50 AM
I am delighted with the window we have had however would still like 1 more left winger with pace.

il reserve judgement on the 2 Lithuanian lads as I don't know much if anything about them and haven't seen them play.

hopefully Murray continues his early season form.

Time will tell but it looks very promising :agree: