PDA

View Full Version : Steve Archibald

heidtheba
31-07-2017, 05:51 PM
A total digression from anything going on at the moment in football. I've just been looking at Steve Archibald's wikipedia entry.
I can't even imagine the excitement that must have been going on around his transfer to us. It was about 6 seasons before I got interested in Hibs and football and I know nothing about how it happened.
So, for the older/more mature fans amongst us, what was that like to live through? I can't get my head around what this place if we were linked to an in-form Scotland striker who was playing for Barcelona!
Was it a Stokes style 'will he/won't he'/ or was it a bolt from the blue? What was the talk like at the time for us fans?
Hope that isn't too off-kilter to ask about!

DarlingtonHibee
31-07-2017, 05:53 PM
Tynie pouring rain, kano ball through, Archibald left foot at away end, winner. There is a god!

Hibernia&Alba
31-07-2017, 05:57 PM
I was a young laddie in primary school and can remember it well! Archibald was a huge name in Scottish football; proven quality at the highest level. Most of my school pals were Hibs fans, and I remember we all suddenly became Archibald in the school yard; Maradona and Platini were forgotten. I thought we were going to keep signing players of that calibre and be like Souness at Rangers. It was a huge coup at the time.

Is It On....
31-07-2017, 05:59 PM
Tynie pouring rain, kano ball through, Archibald left foot at away end, winner. There is a god!

"Tynie pouring rain, kano ball through, Archibald SKINS MCPHERSON, left foot at away end, winner. Absolute bedlam". Hope you don't mind my additions to your recollection...

For those younger fans, I would say that's the most important, celebrated goal against them prior to Mr Hanlons in 2016.

Mikey
31-07-2017, 06:00 PM

Carnage so it was.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luB0aej4_rE

DarlingtonHibee
31-07-2017, 06:02 PM
"Tynie pouring rain, kano ball through, Archibald SKINS MCPHERSON, left foot at away end, winner. Absolute bedlam". Hope you don't mind my additions to your recollection...

No worries! That and Gordon Hunter, two of my highlights.

lord bunberry
31-07-2017, 06:02 PM
What made it even better was that we were down to 10 men as Gordon Rae had been sent off in the first half.
The celebrations in the away end were absolutely epic. I was down the front and I remember everyone jumping on the fence and it collapsing under the weight.

Is It On....
31-07-2017, 06:04 PM
What made it even better was that we were down to 10 men as Gordon Rae had been sent off in the first half.
The celebrations in the away end were absolutely epic. I was down the front and I remember everyone jumping on the fence and it collapsing under the weight.

"10 men went f#ck, went to f#ck the Jambo's"..

lord bunberry
31-07-2017, 06:05 PM
"10 men went f#ck, went to f#ck the Jambo's"..
:top marksGreat day that was. I was soaked, but I didn't care.

erin go bragh
31-07-2017, 06:05 PM
A total digression from anything going on at the moment in football. I've just been looking at Steve Archibald's wikipedia entry.
I can't even imagine the excitement that must have been going on around his transfer to us. It was about 6 seasons before I got interested in Hibs and football and I know nothing about how it happened.
So, for the older/more mature fans amongst us, what was that like to live through? I can't get my head around what this place if we were linked to an in-form Scotland striker who was playing for Barcelona!
Was it a Stokes style 'will he/won't he'/ or was it a bolt from the blue? What was the talk like at the time for us fans?
Hope that isn't too off-kilter to ask about!

What a signing he was . Liverpool tried to sign him before he had signed our deal but the total legend that he was , refused to go as he had verbally agreed to sign for us .

Is It On....
31-07-2017, 06:06 PM
Carnage so it was.......

How good was Archibald's first touch..

Skol
31-07-2017, 06:07 PM

I was gutted when he signed as he hadnt appeared to be that great a player when I had seen him. Gutted.

Soon changed my mind though.....Apart from Collins, no one else was on the same field as him

lord bunberry
31-07-2017, 06:08 PM
He was a true class act. I remember him turning down Liverpool to sign for us from Barcelona.

Is It On....
31-07-2017, 06:14 PM
I was gutted when he signed as he hadnt appeared to be that great a player when I had seen him. Gutted.

Soon changed my mind though.....Apart from Collins, no one else was on the same field as him

Seem to remember in typical Hibs fashion we were given a huge fright in the last minute when McLaren had a great chance to equalise but scuffed it 🙂

DarlingtonHibee
31-07-2017, 06:22 PM
He was one step ahead of teammates, I also remember he turned up to training in a Roller!

Tomsk
31-07-2017, 06:25 PM
He was a class act. He had the best touch of any player I've seen play for Hibs. It was immaculate.

31-07-2017, 06:26 PM
My wee memory is Stevie had a Rolls Royce
and when driving to the stadium one day offered Alan Sneddon on a lift who was walking to his work. Think he stayed in a Hibs flat in Easter Road.

mjhibby
31-07-2017, 06:30 PM
What a signing he was . Liverpool tried to sign him before he had signed our deal but the total legend that he was , refused to go as he had verbally agreed to sign for us .

Along with le God the best player I've seen in 45 years of watching hibs. He was a superb player hence he played for barca. Only issue was that the rest of the team were not on his wavelength and he spent a lot of games coaching the likes of Eddie may and kano where to put the ball. No offence to Gareth Evans but if we had a really good striker beside him then we could have been a really good team.

JeMeSouviens
31-07-2017, 06:35 PM
I think it sounds a lot more exciting now in hindsight. A lot of people didn't really rate him as a Scotland striker, Barca weren't the team from another planet they are now and there wasn't the gulf to Scottish teams either. Dundee United beat them home and away while Archie was there.

He was brilliant though, and all the underwhelmed were soon won over!

Deansy
31-07-2017, 06:35 PM
Carnage so it was.......

Was standing right behind those goals that night - AND WHAT A NIGHT THAT WAS !!!

Shrekko
31-07-2017, 06:38 PM
Seem to remember in typical Hibs fashion we were given a huge fright in the last minute when McLaren had a great chance to equalise but scuffed it 🙂
Pretty sure it was Allan Moore but it was celebrated like a goal😀

Bostonhibby
31-07-2017, 06:44 PM
Cracking player and absolute gent. Had to pinch myself when he signed. Joy to watch, got an autographed photo if him crashing that volley in. Need to try and find it now!

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Is It On....
31-07-2017, 06:45 PM
Was standing right behind those goals that night - AND WHAT A NIGHT THAT WAS !!!

Back along the canal after the game to Center Court where we annoyed the Jambo's by drinking Blue Bols and Fresh Orange because together the colour goes green!! Childish but who cares, I was 19 and it was first win at the PBS since the late 70s !!

lord bunberry
31-07-2017, 06:45 PM
Pretty sure it was Allan Moore but it was celebrated like a goal😀
Very similar to when GOC scored and I think it was Presley who missed an absolute sitter at the end.

The_Todd
31-07-2017, 06:46 PM
So, for the older/more mature fans amongst us, what was that like to live through?

I think something like this :hyper

lord bunberry
31-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Back along the canal after the game to Center Court where we annoyed the Jambo's by drinking Blue Bols and Fresh Orange because together the colour goes green!! Childish but who cares, I was 19 and it was first win at the PBS since the late 70s !!
Mate that's not childish, it's genius :greengrin

Silversand
31-07-2017, 06:48 PM
I remember Archie had a similar chance a few minutes prior to his goal, which he missed. I said to my mate Keith of Hibs TV fame "if that had gone in it would have been the best goal I've ever seen". Cue bedlam when Archiegoal scored with his next chance [emoji16].

I was a bit worse for drink when i got home & my mother took a photo of me staggering in the door with a big grin on my face [emoji16] need to find that photo 🤣

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mikey
31-07-2017, 06:51 PM

I'd forgotten about that. They scored late and should really have scored again.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=16813

KSA Hibee
31-07-2017, 07:08 PM
Slightly off track footie wise but IIRC he drove a brown Rolls Royce while with us .. worst looking luxury car I've ever seen ... and growing up in Saughton Mains I've seen plenty

brianmc
31-07-2017, 07:10 PM
I follow Archie on Twitter. He's been asked about that goal (and the iconic photo) a few times-and rates it as one of his best footballing memories 😁🇳🇬

*That game was my first visit to tynie .
This is easy I thought........

HIBERNIAN-0762
31-07-2017, 07:20 PM
A brilliant signing for us, I was behind the goals when he scored in that clip, utter mayhem but true to Hibs form those spawny gets scored and indeed missed a sitter right at the death.

Archie Archie, Archie Archie! :not worth

CockneyRebel
31-07-2017, 07:21 PM

For those younger fans, I would say that's the most important, celebrated goal against them prior to Mr Hanlons in 2016.

What about Gordon Hunters goal in the 1 - 0 win that ended the "20 odd games in a row"

lord bunberry
31-07-2017, 07:21 PM
I follow Archie on Twitter. He's been asked about that goal (and the iconic photo) a few times-and rates it as one of his best footballing memories 😁🇳🇬

*That game was my first visit to tynie .
This is easy I thought........
It's certainly one of my best football memories :greengrin.
Sadly we will probably never see celebrations like that again.

lord bunberry
31-07-2017, 07:27 PM
What about Gordon Hunters goal in the 1 - 0 win that ended the "20 odd games in a row"
That was good as well, but I think the fact that they had (in true hearts fashion very cheaply) put seats in the gorgie road end, made it less of an atmosphere

Skol
31-07-2017, 07:28 PM
We played a long time with 10 men in that game with Gordon Rae having been sent off IIRC

edwards
31-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Archibald was on a different level even his warm up before a game was completely different he done these runs from the centre spot to the eighteen yard box and didn't stand about passing much. Although it was a massive signing nothing to compare with the return of Joe Baker and pitched in against Aberdeen , Mcleish and Millar at the back and scored in a win Massive suport to see him back that day unbelievable.

phantom
31-07-2017, 07:41 PM
I think it sounds a lot more exciting now in hindsight. A lot of people didn't really rate him as a Scotland striker, Barca weren't the team from another planet they are now and there wasn't the gulf to Scottish teams either. Dundee United beat them home and away while Archie was there.

He was brilliant though, and all the underwhelmed were soon won over!

This is pretty much how I remember most Hibs fans feeling at the time. Over-rated AND past-it. We were all wrong. Truly class player who was far too good for his team mates. It was only when you watched him for the full 90 minutes that you realised just how good he was and what a star we had. Happy memories!

West lower
31-07-2017, 07:42 PM

This goal was mega in it's day. For all that we had been through, it was fitting that geebsie nailed it. We partied big time. Hibs end stayed for a full 45 minutes at the end. Was it raining ? Who cared.

stantonhibby
31-07-2017, 07:53 PM
Archibald was on a different level even his warm up before a game was completely different he done these runs from the centre spot to the eighteen yard box and didn't stand about passing much. Although it was a massive signing nothing to compare with the return of Joe Baker and pitched in against Aberdeen , Mcleish and Millar at the back and scored in a win Massive suport to see him back that day unbelievable.

Joe Baker's return was a while before the McLeish/Miller era.

ancient hibee
31-07-2017, 07:53 PM
It's a bit like the 100000 who have convinced themselves that they were at the 7-0 game.There were plenty who thought he was finished and plenty more who thought he had never started!I thought it was a great signing but he was a bit too good for a number of the team to get on his wavelength.

Stevie Reid
31-07-2017, 08:05 PM
Was young when he signed but his class was still obvious.

He was denied another winner against Hearts in the last minute of a game at ER, when he blasted a free kick off the base of the post in the last minute. Was a great strike.

G B Young
02-08-2017, 03:43 PM
As a teenager at the time I remember thinking it was a big-time move by Hibs. Not a George Best-style sensation, but the guy had excelled for Spurs and Barcelona as well as a great Aberdeen team and according to this story he actually opted for Hibs ahead of Liverpool:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/steve-archibald-glad-he-picked-hibs-over-liverpooi-1-1263851

The signing certainly underlined a feelgood factor at the club which David Duff and Jim Gray (initially) brought with them. I also recall there being a share issue at the time, with adverts for it on the side of Edinburgh buses.

As some have said, Archie had a reputation as a bit of an aloof character and was accused of not really trying a leg for Scotland. But we very quickly learned what a class act he was. That Tynecastle goal is one which has cemented itself in the memory of everyone behind the goal that day, but he also turned in some other terrific displays (a 3-1 win over Celtic at ER springs to mind as well as a win at Dens Park) in his all-too short time with Hibs.

Back to THAT goal, if you scroll down the twitter feed here you'll see the iconic black and white pic of him celebrating. One of my all-time favourite Hibs pics:

https://twitter.com/stevearchibald8/status/633265971579518976?lang=en

jabis
02-08-2017, 04:22 PM

My one and only time at that dump,decided I couldn't top that.

ArmadaleHibs
02-08-2017, 04:31 PM
He had a huge house opposite the kings buildings. I used to deliver his papers of a morning. I also used to deliver sandy jardines papers who happened to live at the bottom of liberton brae. Needless to say one of them got all their papers in tact and the other I removed a few pages every Saturday for about a year lol. One of them would also be quite light on the milk delivery as I was often thirsty.

Ggtth

banarc7062
02-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Slightly different item. My son used to train with the youths at Wardie and those were the days when Hibs trained out and about. Alex Millar had the first team going through their paces and Archibald turned up about half an hour late. Nothing said at the time but when a halt was called to the mornings routine Stevie was told to stay on and give the keeper practice. Impressive at keeping it known who was in charge :-) GGTTH

Iggy Pope
02-08-2017, 04:59 PM

Naw.....
Martin Buchan I would reckon. The only Dons player that's a stick out is Bobby Clark as his shut out record was smashed that day.

Jones28
02-08-2017, 05:03 PM
I didn't realise the history here, wow! How on earth did we manage that?