PDA

View Full Version : The Other 7-0 Game

brog
31-07-2017, 09:57 AM
This is one mostly for those of us fortunate enough to have seen the Tornadoes. In about 1973/74 period, Leith Round Table organised a charity indoor 5 a side tournament at Meadowbank. It was a huge success, most of the top teams attended (still an 18 team league then) & there was a big crowd who made a notable contribution to the charities involved. I remember we won the tournament, beating them 7-0 again en route to the final. My outstanding memory though is of the incredible skill possessed by Alan Gordon. On the full pitch he had a great 1st touch, led the line well but his outstanding attribute was his heading ability. In the indoor arena you truly appreciated his fantastic ball skills. I think he was tourney top scorer & bagged about 4 versus Yams. I think this was a one off tournament so wondered if we still have the trophy & also if others remember the occasion?

Ringothedog
31-07-2017, 10:11 AM
This is one mostly for those of us fortunate enough to have seen the Tornadoes. In about 1973/74 period, Leith Round Table organised a charity indoor 5 a side tournament at Meadowbank. It was a huge success, most of the top teams attended (still an 18 team league then) & there was a big crowd who made a notable contribution to the charities involved. I remember we won the tournament, beating them 7-0 again en route to the final. My outstanding memory though is of the incredible skill possessed by Alan Gordon. On the full pitch he had a great 1st touch, led the line well but his outstanding attribute was his heading ability. In the indoor arena you truly appreciated his fantastic ball skills. I think he was tourney top scorer & bagged about 4 versus Yams. I think this was a one off tournament so wondered if we still have the trophy & also if others remember the occasion?

I don't think it was a one off tournament, I am sure it was a yearly event but cannot remember when it actually stopped

brog
31-07-2017, 10:46 AM
I don't think it was a one off tournament, I am sure it was a yearly event but cannot remember when it actually stopped

You're probably correct, the one I'm referring to may have been the first.

Keith_M
31-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Was that in any way related to the Tennents Sixes, that we won in '91?

I think it was then played at Ingliston, among other places, and was definitely on TV. Used to be an enjoyable tournament to watch.

EDIT: OK, both those facts were wrong, as we won it in '90 and it was played at the SECC :-)

Ringothedog
31-07-2017, 10:53 AM
Was that in any way related to the Tennents Sixes, that we won in '91?

I think it was then played at Ingliston, among other places, and was definitely on TV. Used to be an enjoyable tournament to watch.

nah, I am sure it was organised by the Edinburgh round table and only ever played at Meadowbank

fat freddy
31-07-2017, 11:01 AM
I went to these events, not sure how long it ran for but it I remember it being from mid to late seventies. It was sponsored bt Evening News / Leith Rotary Club / Leith Round Table ?
The crowds were huge, loads of singing and noise, loads of kids with flags and banners, a colourful affair and we beat Hearts every year. You could get right up close to the players and the first team squads made up the teams. Looking back, we were priviliged to see so many of The Tornadoes up close in that enviroment, growing up watching those guys from the age of six or seven spoiled a generation of Hibs fans, nothings ever really come close since, cup winning side aside.

Pat s 4
31-07-2017, 11:01 AM
There was a garden fete at carberry tower round about 69-71, hibs v hearts 7 aside and hibs won 7-0. Cant mind much but had a signed programme which could be up my dads attic , good crowd .

Siralbertkidd
31-07-2017, 11:05 AM
nah, I am sure it was organised by the Edinburgh round table and only ever played at Meadowbank

Was also one played at Murrayfield Ice Rink where we beat them 9-2, Eric Stevenson was playing, fives was just made for a guy with tricks like him!
Cant remember any other games from the tournament, just that there was a lot of coin chucking.

Ronniekirk
31-07-2017, 11:28 AM
Was at the one we eon atSSSC
Think it was Paul Kane snd Mickey Weir that were instrumental in putting that squad together
Used to enjoy watching the tournament Could be worth resurrecting to see how it goes this time round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kato
31-07-2017, 11:35 AM
My outstanding memory though is of the incredible skill possessed by Alan Gordon. On the full pitch he had a great 1st touch, led the line well but his outstanding attribute was his heading ability. In the indoor arena you truly appreciated his fantastic ball skills.

Good spot. I was a youngster when Alan was playing but I remember an older pal of my brother pointing out to me a trick AG had in his locker that went unnoticed to many. When running onto a through ball he'd take a defender goal-wards but had this trick whereby he'd control the ball on the back of his calf, he'd then turn (back to goal) but had made himself about five yards space as the defender would just carry on running. Watched for it after that and saw him do it a few times.

Great player and a total gentleman, no accident that was asked to represent a World XI in Willi Schulz's Testimonial alongside Denis Law, Bobby Charlton, Eusebio, and Bobby Moore given he's almost won the Golden Boot that season.

FitzAlan
31-07-2017, 11:50 AM
It was the Leith Round Table 5-A-Side Tournament in 1973. Alan Gordon was presented with the Best Player Award.

Billy McKirdy
31-07-2017, 11:56 AM
I went to one of these tourneys at Meadowbank in the late 70s, forgot all about that.

Mick O'Rourke
31-07-2017, 12:18 PM
You're probably correct, the one I'm referring to may have been the first.

Brog
I don't know if Jimmy played in that particular tourney.
If he did, he probably had a Zorro dream the night before!!!
Your original post got me googling and i came across a wonderful article (link below)in which a similar event(LRT) at Murrayfield is mentioned (no year indicated though) and we score 9 against the "big" team!!

The article is possibly Eric's last interview with The Scotsman
I would guess you would have read it before.
But its a good read for all Hibernians

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/interview-eric-stevenson-on-his-love-affair-with-hibs-1-4313983

Keith_M
31-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Was at the one we eon atSSSC
Think it was Paul Kane snd Mickey Weir that were instrumental in putting that squad together
Used to enjoy watching the tournament Could be worth resurrecting to see how it goes this time round

:agree:

brog
31-07-2017, 01:46 PM
Brog
Your original post got me googling and i came across a wonderful article (link below)in which a similar event(LRT) at Murrayfield is mentioned (no year indicated though) and we score 9 against the "big" team!!

The article is possibly Eric's last interview with The Scotsman
I would guess you would have read it before.
But its a good read for all Hibernians

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/interview-eric-stevenson-on-his-love-affair-with-hibs-1-4313983

Great read Mick, God bless The Rebel.

brog
31-07-2017, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE=Mick O'Rourke;5122504]Brog

As soon as I started the thread Mick I thought why didn't I call Jimmy! Pretty sure he played, along with Crops, Arthur & Sloop, no wonder we won!

KWJ
31-07-2017, 03:10 PM
Expected it to be about this game.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/4689666.stm

schinkenotto
31-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Good spot. I was a youngster when Alan was playing but I remember an older pal of my brother pointing out to me a trick AG had in his locker that went unnoticed to many. When running onto a through ball he'd take a defender goal-wards but had this trick whereby he'd control the ball on the back of his calf, he'd then turn (back to goal) but had made himself about five yards space as the defender would just carry on running. Watched for it after that and saw him do it a few times.

Great player and a total gentleman, no accident that was asked to represent a World XI in Willi Schulz's Testimonial alongside Denis Law, Bobby Charlton, Eusebio, and Bobby Moore given he's almost won the Golden Boot that season.
Totally agree.Alan was a family friend and was delightful company.

Hibernia&Alba
31-07-2017, 05:26 PM
The only 0-7 I've seen was that terrible night against Malmo. Not the happiest experience.

Mick O'Rourke
31-07-2017, 05:29 PM
[QUOTE=Mick O'Rourke;5122504]Brog

As soon as I started the thread Mick I thought why didn't I call Jimmy! Pretty sure he played, along with Crops, Arthur & Sloop, no wonder we won!
He likely did
Opposition goalies would have wore bike helmets/ice hockey gear,if Jimmy was playing!!
Hibs did "respect" these tourneys and play "first teamers"
I dread to imagine getting "crunched by Jimmy ,Shades and Sloop in such close confines.
Aye, nay wonder we won most of them.
Another venue my fading memory recalls was The Olive Bank(Musselburgh) Fives
I think we did no bad there either.

PatHead
31-07-2017, 05:39 PM
The only 0-7 I've seen was that terrible night against Malmo. Not the happiest experience.

Saw us beat Livy 7 0 on a Wednesday night. Sure Paul lambert got the sack/resigned afterwards.

BurghHibby
31-07-2017, 06:57 PM
There was a garden fete at carberry tower round about 69-71, hibs v hearts 7 aside and hibs won 7-0. Cant mind much but had a signed programme which could be up my dads attic , good crowd .

I was there as well, Cormack and Marinello amongst Hibs players.
Bill Tennant (STV newsreader/presenter) and Jock Wallace (pre-hun days I think) there too, Wallace probably there as he was a local fi Wallyford.