PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Alloa 29th July)

Jonnyboy
29-07-2017, 07:02 PM
Some years ago, when I was the Editor of Mass Hibsteria/Hibs Monthly, I included a section in each issue, under the heading “This is how it feels” in which I did a roundup of those games that had taken place since the previous issue. I’ve been asked by the Admin Team to resurrect this for Hibs.net but with the suggestion that I post up my thoughts after every game. I’m delighted to have been asked and there follows my take on the game, together with a few words on the performance of the players. I’ve never been a fan of the ‘marks out of ten’ approach and so I haven’t used it, rather just a synopsis of how I felt each player performed.
The game offered Hibs the chance to top the group, if the result at Gayfield fell in our favour. I couldn’t see Ross County failing to beat Arbroath but as it turned out, they did and we topped our group with the reward of …… going into the quarter finals unseeded. Bizarre, I know.

I felt that Hibs very much played within themselves, doing enough to win without really needing to get into first gear. The new surface is a massive improvement but I remain firmly in the camp that football should be played on grass – end of! We started the game well and but for a short period early in the second half, dominated throughout. It was Déjà vu in terms of trying to break down a ten man defence but, unlike on occasions in the past, we did so with some aplomb. The goals were all well created and well taken, especially Simon Murray’s first as we had the ball down by our own corner flag where Lewis and Efe combined to free John McGinn whose 40 yard pass found Boyler before the ball was delivered to the feet of Murray. In essence, three passes to cover the full length of the park and the ball was in the net.

So, how did our players perform?

Rocky was redundant for most of the game but had two good saves, one in each half

Whitty is showing that he’s getting up to match speed and was always willing to overlap

Efe was just Efe. Sometimes he makes you hold your breath and others he just makes the game look so easy. Another slippers and cigar performance from him.

Daz is superb in the air and the Alloa No. 9 will know he’s been in a game today. I just wish Daz could be more productive when we get a corner. He often wins the header but rarely troubles the keeper

Lewis was solid as he always is. Works up and down the line tirelessly and delivered a cracking right foot cross for the third goal

Boyler’s speed terrifies defenders and he earned his special mention in Neil Lennon’s post-match interview.

Dylan is a fine footballer and his fitness appears to be holding up well. If I had a slight criticism it would be that he often slows the game down when in possession

Big Marv is deceptively fast and to be honest, I thought he strolled through the game. Excellent at breaking up play and this is exactly what you want from a holding midfielder.

SJM wasn’t at his best today, I didn’t think as the ball always seemed to get stuck under his feet. Maybe the surface was at fault? Cracking cross field pass for the second goal, though

Fraser Murray is a delight to watch. At 18 years old he is mature beyond his years. Always available for a pass, he’s developed a lovely habit of popping up in the space between opposing defence and midfield. Took his goal well and it was good to see him burst into the box for the cross.

Simon Murray now has seven goals for the club and is hopefully beginning to impress those who were ‘underwhelmed’ by his arrival. The laddie just never stops and I love the way he finds the space between the other side’s central defenders. More to come from him, I’m sure

Slivka (a.k.a Bob) looked promising. Very comfortable on the ball and really unlucky to be booked when the eedjit that is Willie Collum flashed the yellow card for a ten a penny challenge

Was great to see Paul Hanlon back in action and he showed all the signs that he’ll be looking to claim a starting place for himself. Fantastic reader of the game

Matulevicius (a.k.a Big Dave) is enormous! Didn’t really get the chance to do much but I’m sure he’ll prove a handful for opposing defenders

Neil Lennon has us gaining momentum and is rightly pleased with the progress to date. Was a wee bit surprised to see him start Fraser Murray but delighted to accept he knows a lot more about the game than I do!

Willie Collum is a UEFA Grade One referee. I can only imagine that UEFA stands for Useless Eedjit Fails Again

Finally, a word of praise for our tremendous support, most of whom were forced to stand out in the open during a couple of monsoon level downpours. Well done to you, one and all

Edit: It was Boyler that crossed for the third goal, not Lewis. Apologies for the error

Baw187
29-07-2017, 07:08 PM
Some years ago, when I was the Editor of Mass Hibsteria/Hibs Monthly, I included a section in each issue, under the heading “This is how it feels” in which I did a roundup of those games that had taken place since the previous issue. I’ve been asked by the Admin Team to resurrect this for Hibs.net but with the suggestion that I post up my thoughts after every game. I’m delighted to have been asked and there follows my take on the game, together with a few words on the performance of the players. I’ve never been a fan of the ‘marks out of ten’ approach and so I haven’t used it, rather just a synopsis of how I felt each player performed.
The game offered Hibs the chance to top the group, if the result at Gayfield fell in our favour. I couldn’t see Ross County failing to beat Arbroath but as it turned out, they did and we topped our group with the reward of …… going into the quarter finals unseeded. Bizarre, I know.

I felt that Hibs very much played within themselves, doing enough to win without really needing to get into first gear. The new surface is a massive improvement but I remain firmly in the camp that football should be played on grass – end of! We started the game well and but for a short period early in the second half, dominated throughout. It was Déjà vu in terms of trying to break down a ten man defence but, unlike on occasions in the past, we did so with some aplomb. The goals were all well created and well taken, especially Simon Murray’s first as we had the ball down by our own corner flag where Lewis and Efe combined to free John McGinn whose 40 yard pass found Boyler before the ball was delivered to the feet of Murray. In essence, three passes to cover the full length of the park and the ball was in the net.

Rocky was redundant for most of the game but had two good saves, one in each half

Whitty is showing that he’s getting up to match speed and was always willing to overlap

Efe was just Efe. Sometimes he makes you hold your breath and others he just makes the game look so easy. Another slippers and cigar performance from him.

Daz is superb in the air and the Alloa No. 9 will know he’s been in a game today. I just wish Daz could be more productive when we get a corner. He often wins the header but rarely troubles the keeper

Lewis was solid as he always is. Works up and down the line tirelessly and delivered a cracking right foot cross for the third goal

Boyler’s speed terrifies defenders and he earned his special mention in Neil Lennon’s post-match interview.

Dylan is a fine footballer and his fitness appears to be holding up well. If I had a slight criticism it would be that he often slows the game down when in possession

Big Marv is deceptively fast and to be honest, I thought he strolled through the game. Excellent at breaking up play and this is exactly what you want from a holding midfielder.

SJM wasn’t at his best today, I didn’t think as the ball always seemed to get stuck under his feet. Maybe the surface was at fault? Cracking cross field pass for the second goal, though

Fraser Murray is a delight to watch. At 18 years old he is mature beyond his years. Always available for a pass, he’s developed a lovely habit of popping up in the space between opposing defence and midfield. Took his goal well and it was good to see him burst into the box for the cross.

Simon Murray now has seven goals for the club and is hopefully beginning to impress those who were ‘underwhelmed’ by his arrival. The laddie just never stops and I love the way he finds the space between the other side’s central defenders. More to come from him, I’m sure

Slivka (a.k.a Bob) looked promising. Very comfortable on the ball and really unlucky to be booked when the eedjit that is Willie Collum flashed the yellow card for a ten a penny challenge

Was great to see Paul Hanlon back in action and he showed all the signs that he’ll be looking to claim a starting place for himself. Fantastic reader of the game

Matulevicius (a.k.a Big Dave) is enormous! Didn’t really get the chance to do much but I’m sure he’ll prove a handful for opposing defenders

Neil Lennon has us gaining momentum and is rightly pleased with the progress to date. Was a wee bit surprised to see him start Fraser Murray but delighted to accept he knows a lot more about the game than I do!

Willie Collum is a UEFA Grade One referee. I can only imagine that UEFA stands for Useless Eedjit Fails Again

Finally, a word of praise for our tremendous support, most of whom were forced to stand out in the open during a couple of monsoon level downpours. Well done to you, one and all

Top drawer summary Jonnyboy! Look forward to this being a regular feature.

[emoji1319] [emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319]

AlbertK86
29-07-2017, 07:12 PM
Great stuff Jonny Boy

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Billy Whizz
29-07-2017, 07:13 PM
Agree with most of that Jonnyboy, particularly the bit about Collin.
A 3-0 away win can't be sniffed at. Fraz Murray coming on a treat, and was a goal threat in the 1st half
Really likes the look of Slivka, will be interesting to see where he eventually plays

snooky
29-07-2017, 07:21 PM
I'm so delighted to see a couple of the young lads come through.
I've been lookng forward to this for a while. The enthusiasm of youth is a wonder to behold.
Great report JB - thanks.

Robinho08
29-07-2017, 07:29 PM
Great feature, I'm looking forward to reading future accounts.

lord bunberry
29-07-2017, 07:30 PM
This is how it feels to be Jambo's
This is how it feels to be small
This is how it feels
when the league cup has gone awol.

Hibrandenburg
29-07-2017, 07:37 PM

Thanks JB. I'd love this to become a regular feature. Would save me hours trying to get the gist of the game from 1000 emotionally charged posts with the odd jambo troll thrown in to confuse matters.

:thumbsup:

Speedway
29-07-2017, 07:42 PM
Great read!

Looking forward to more.

cjward2
29-07-2017, 07:42 PM
Good to see JohnnyBoy's review of the game. Used to enjoy watching him years ago on Hibernian TV.:thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
29-07-2017, 07:45 PM
Thanks JB. I'd love this to become a regular feature. Would save me hours trying to get the gist of the game from 1000 emotionally charged posts with the odd jambo troll thrown in to confuse matters.

I've agreed to do this after every game so, your wish is my command :greengrin

Good to see JohnnyBoy's review of the game. Used to enjoy watching him years ago on Hibernian TV.:thumbsup:

Folk always said I had a good face for the radio, not TV :greengrin I confess, I used to love doing the Hibs TV stuff and especially the commentaries

Billy Whizz
29-07-2017, 07:47 PM

Think I was in short trousers at the time🤣

greenlex
29-07-2017, 07:47 PM
Good stuff JC.

Jonnyboy
29-07-2017, 07:49 PM
Think I was in short trousers at the time🤣

You were. I recall taking this picture of you :dummytit:

:faf:

Is It On....
29-07-2017, 07:52 PM

Used to love HM and The Glasgow Gossip. Found an old copy of MH in the house last year with Bobby Williamson on the front cover with a less than positive caption attached. Was it HM that had Grumpy Gibby, The North Stand Hibby? Anyway, a belated thanks for the work on HM all those years ago and looking forward to your regular review. GGTTH

Jonnyboy
29-07-2017, 07:54 PM
Used to love HM and The Glasgow Gossip. Found an old copy of MH in the house last year with Bobby Williamson on the front cover with a less than positive caption attached. Was it HM that had Grumpy Gibby, The North Stand Hibby? Anyway, a belated thanks for the work on HM all those years ago and looking forward to your regular review. GGTTH

Yep, he was one of our star writers :greengrin We also had Hibbie Hippie and the Raving Reporter :aok:

Golden Bear
29-07-2017, 08:01 PM

It's a certainty that that will be the best match report we will read in the next couple of days. I thank you sir.

MSK
29-07-2017, 08:02 PM
No need to pick up a Sunday rag for a match report, quality as usual JC 👍

Is It On....
29-07-2017, 08:02 PM
Yep, he was one of our star writers :greengrin We also had Hibbie Hippie and the Raving Reporter :aok:

Hibbie Hippie, that's a name from the past. One of the sellers used to be a massive guy with a beard that used to say "it's so funny son, I nearly choked on my pie when I read it" 🙂. I think you had an end of season issue one year with a quiz that included a question on your favourite fighting force, the options including CCS or Hibsbohla.

H18 SFR
29-07-2017, 08:15 PM
Is there any chance that Mass Hibsteria could ever be re-born?

heidtheba
29-07-2017, 08:16 PM

Same here - I bought a few copies from the wee sports bookshop that used to be a few shops along from Mr Bonis - loved that place. I'm pretty sure I got my tickets for the Gordon Hunter Header game at Tynie from there too.

Jonnyboy
29-07-2017, 08:17 PM
Is there any chance that Mass Hibsteria could ever be re-born?

Sadly, no. The internet brought about its demise. There was an online version for a while (via our poster Purple & Green) but due to lack of income and time that didn't last too long

Billy Whizz
29-07-2017, 08:19 PM
Sadly, no. The internet brought about its demise. There was an online version for a while (via our poster Purple & Green) but due to lack of income and time that didn't last too long

I used to love reading it, but as you say, it was before we had sites like this.
Always had a great back page😄
Think I've got a few copies somewhere

matty_f
29-07-2017, 08:31 PM
Nice one Jonnyboy!

Mantis Toboggan
29-07-2017, 08:33 PM
Brilliant stuff. I used to love that section in MH. The whole fanzine was amazing. Favourite back page would have to be 'Sad and Lonely Hearts Fans Banned'

Pedantic_Hibee
29-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Fairly sure Jonnyboy got me to write a few articles on this very website when I first joined? My mind might be playing tricks on me, I've consumed a fair bit of alcohol over the years 🕺

Excellent OP by the way, will be my go to page after each game.

CyberSauzee
29-07-2017, 08:43 PM
Even better if we could get Grumpy Gibby's player ratings.

brog
29-07-2017, 08:50 PM
Superb stuff John. Really great for those of us who can't go every week. All the best, hopefully catch up soon.

Jonnyboy
29-07-2017, 08:56 PM
Even better if we could get Grumpy Gibby's player ratings.

Now that would be brilliant :agree:

Superb stuff John. Really great for those of us who can't go every week. All the best, hopefully catch up soon.

Thanks, B. :agree:

hfc rd
29-07-2017, 08:58 PM

Thank you very much for that Jonnyboy :aok:

LaMotta
29-07-2017, 09:05 PM

:agree:

Loved MHHM and this it how it feels when i was a youngster. It was always a highlight when you seen a vendor selling a new monthly copy outside ER on the way to a game.

I also enjoyed contributions from Grumpy Hibby and Octopus. Am i right in saying Octopus was Irvine Welsh before Trainspotting?

Jonnyboy
29-07-2017, 09:11 PM
:agree:

Loved MHHM and this it how it feels when i was a youngster. It was always a highlight when you seen a vendor selling a new monthly copy outside ER on the way to a game.

I also enjoyed contributions from Grumpy Hibby and Octopus. Am i right in saying Octopus was Irvine Welsh before Trainspotting?

You are indeed. Shame his writing career went downhill after MHHM :greengrin I used to stand at the Hawkhill end of the ground, opposite that burger van. Always sold well but always went into the game starving :greengrin

LaMotta
29-07-2017, 09:15 PM
You are indeed. Shame his writing career went downhill after MHHM :greengrin I used to stand at the Hawkhill end of the ground, opposite that burger van. Always sold well but always went into the game starving :greengrin

Deansy
29-07-2017, 09:19 PM
'I’ve been asked by the Admin Team to resurrect this for Hibs.net but with the suggestion that I post up my thoughts after every game'

Well done to the Admin-team - great idea !!

O'Rourke3
29-07-2017, 09:19 PM
It was years before my friend outed himself as the guy doing Winnie The Jambo. Full set of laminates in the house still.

Carheenlea
29-07-2017, 09:21 PM
:top marks This will be a great addition to Hibs.net and I look forward to reading as the season progresses. Obviously unlike reading from a fanzine at home, anyone who disagrees with your opinion will have immediate right of reply, so you might need some thick skin!
I'm in Galway at present so this piece has been very helpful tonight, and has really whetted the appetite for returning to ER next Saturday to start the League Campaign.

LaMotta
29-07-2017, 09:21 PM

Classic publications were 2 from late 88 early 89 when we beat Hearts 2-1 at Tynie with Archiegoal and then won the next game at ER at New year 1-0 Eddie May winner.

Archie was on the front of the first one hands a loft in that famous celebratory pose and veteran Hearts keeper Peter McLoy on the cover of the next one in a wheelchair with a rug over his knees im sure. Great times!

Jonnyboy
29-07-2017, 09:31 PM
:top marks This will be a great addition to Hibs.net and I look forward to reading as the season progresses. Obviously unlike reading from a fanzine at home, anyone who disagrees with your opinion will have immediate right of reply, so you might need some thick skin!
I'm in Galway at present so this piece has been very helpful tonight, and has really whetted the appetite for returning to ER next Saturday to start the League Campaign.

Noted!

Classic publications were 2 from late 88 early 89 when we beat Hearts 2-1 at Tynie with Archiegoal and then won the next game at ER at New year 1-0 Eddie May winner.

Archie was on the front of the first one hands a loft in that famous celebratory pose and veteran Hearts keeper Peter McLoy on the cover of the next one in a wheelchair with a rug over his knees im sure. Great times!

To be fair, they were issues before I got involved. They were brilliant though, I agree

Golden Bear
29-07-2017, 09:34 PM

Green Tree at 1pm D. I'm driving unfortunately !

The Modfather
29-07-2017, 10:03 PM
Thought this was going to be a thread about the Inspiral Carpets when I opened it 😀

CyberSauzee
29-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Who's going to be looking through their boxes of Hibs memorabilia to find old fanzines tomorrow? :agree:

Can't beat quality analogue reading.

bawheid
29-07-2017, 10:15 PM
Great memories of walking up to ER with my Dad when I was aged 13/14 and seeing there was a new issue of MHHM on sale. Think I've still got a box of them in the basement.

I recall there was another fanzine - TANEHSH - came on the scene a bit later, launched by none other than Stuart Crowther, who as we know then went on to set up Erinweb and the very first Hibs.net. I recall not enjoying TANEHSH as much as I did MHHM but still bought them both to get my Hibs fix.

It's weird to think of the times when you couldn't just pick up your phone and get the latest Hibs info.

Looking forward to John's articles.

CMurdoch
29-07-2017, 11:44 PM
Thought this was going to be a thread about the Inspiral Carpets when I opened it ��

Snap!

I couldn't make the game today so John's comprehensive and importantly, balanced report was massively welcome.
John, I look forward to reading your weekly reports and comparing it's content with my own opinions.
Ta very much.

Mantis Toboggan
30-07-2017, 12:29 AM
Who's going to be looking through their boxes of Hibs memorabilia to find old fanzines tomorrow? :agree:

Can't beat quality analogue reading.

Is there any chance of getting these scanned and hosted somewhre? I've got maybe 10 that I could unearth and contribute. Including a few Hibs Monthly.

SirDavidsNapper
30-07-2017, 01:21 AM
This is how it feels to be tiny
This is how it feels to be small
This is how it feels with 55 years of F all

Mikey
30-07-2017, 09:22 AM
Nice one John. I'm really looking forward to seeing Slivka now.

Smartie
30-07-2017, 09:26 AM
I used to love This is How it Feels and MHHM.

Delighted to see the return of TIHIF - I always thought the analysis was sensible and balanced, negative where it needed to be but also focussing on positives.

heidtheba
30-07-2017, 09:28 AM
Is there any chance of getting these scanned and hosted somewhre? I've got maybe 10 that I could unearth and contribute. Including a few Hibs Monthly.

I came across one of my (very paltry) collection last year. Pretty sure it had a piece about Kevin Harper before he made his breakthrough and also maybe Emilio Bottiglieri (or however you spell it). Great stuff.

ian cruise
30-07-2017, 09:30 AM
Fantastic stuff John, I look forward to many more of these.

SDG90+2
30-07-2017, 09:38 AM
Enjoyed that Johnnyboy :aok:

BroxburnHibee
30-07-2017, 10:13 AM
Cheers John, delighted you've agreed to take this on.

Great summary and I'll look forward to many more.

Scott Allan Key
30-07-2017, 11:49 AM

Much appreciated, Jonnyboy. Great to hear the promise of our new signings and youngsters coming through in your piece. Thank you.

Just Alf
30-07-2017, 12:59 PM
That was a great read thanks muchly JB! :top marks

as others have said... would be interesting to have some "historical thoughts" shared if you (and/or others have them to hand)

:flag:

Hibbyradge
30-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the summary,John.

You have a PM.

hibee_girl
30-07-2017, 04:48 PM
Great read :thumbsup:

Looking forward to reading more this season.

Jonnyboy
30-07-2017, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the summary,John.

You have a PM.

:aok: Will correct

Mixu62
31-07-2017, 08:14 AM

I also remember occasional contributions from a writer called Karl Heinz von Rumour-monger.

hibbie02
31-07-2017, 08:32 AM
Good summary Auld Yin! Keep up the good work. :greengrin

MB62
31-07-2017, 09:41 AM

Edit: It was Boyler that crossed for the third goal, not Lewis. Apologies for the error

Good Report J.C. but you can fair Rave on a bit ;-) :-D

BSEJVT
31-07-2017, 09:43 AM
Thank you very much for that Jonnyboy :aok:

Good Summary, really enjoyable read, although I am sure it was Boyle who crossed for third goal?

Jonnyboy
31-07-2017, 02:15 PM
Good Summary, really enjoyable read, although I am sure it was Boyle who crossed for third goal?

You're right. I'd already edited it :greengrin

Jonnyboy
31-07-2017, 02:18 PM
I also remember occasional contributions from a writer called Karl Heinz von Rumour-monger.

Yep, Karl Heinz Rumourmonger was one of my pen names :greengrin

Jonnyboy
31-07-2017, 02:20 PM
Good Report J.C. but you can fair Rave on a bit ;-) :-D

Cheers MB but I'm just a novice raver compared to the raving master :faf:

BSEJVT
31-07-2017, 03:01 PM
You're right. I'd already edited it :greengrin

Sorry I was reading it from the first post on the thread which still sates Lewis had a lovely cross with right foot for first goal, I don't know where to find it elsewhere :-)

HalfTimeSmoker
31-07-2017, 04:26 PM
Absolute drivel that report 😴 you were sitting next to me and told me they are all crap :greengrin Seriously though its great you've got something to do in your old age :aok:

The Pointer
31-07-2017, 05:04 PM
Great summation so your reports will be my first call for the coming season.

Like others, I got Mass Hibsteria whenever I could and always enjoyed GG's moans and groans, particularly as they were written in the the way he presumably spoke.

snedzuk
31-07-2017, 05:37 PM

Like others, I got Mass Hibsteria whenever I could and always enjoyed GG's moans and groans, particularly as they were written in the the way he presumably spoke.

Loady ***** then an a loady ***** now.

Jonnyboy
31-07-2017, 07:48 PM
Sorry I was reading it from the first post on the thread which still sates Lewis had a lovely cross with right foot for first goal, I don't know where to find it elsewhere :-)

:aok:

Absolute drivel that report 😴 you were sitting next to me and told me they are all crap :greengrin Seriously though its great you've got something to do in your old age :aok:

Watch it you or I'll nick yer zimmer :greengrin

GG is very well spoken as it happens :greengrin