PDA

View Full Version : Time now to move on

InchHibby
29-07-2017, 05:17 AM
We've heard, he's clearing things up with Blackburn, we've heard, he's signing tomorrow about twenty times now, we've heard, he's at his medical, won't be long now.
The truth of the matter is that there's now no obstacles in his way other than himself accepting the given offer, Lennons even hinted that there may be room for improvements on this offer.
I think he's had long enough and if he really had it in his mind that this would be the place for him, then the contract would have been signed.
He's clearly holding out for more money, accepting that that's his right, but he clearly knows that what he thinks he can get, he ain't going to get here.
I say, call him up now and demand an answer and if if he's not prepared to make a decision at present, then make it for him.
He may be a legend in some eyes, but he's clearly, at this time, looking for more than we can give, end it now.

BlackSheep
29-07-2017, 06:07 AM
I suspect an answer, one way or another, will be given by Monday.

HH81
29-07-2017, 06:11 AM
Maybe he has really signed and is playing up front today.

hibsbollah
29-07-2017, 06:14 AM
Maybe he has really signed and is playing up front today.

Maybe he signed last week and was playing against Arbroath but using stealth cloaking technology pioneered by Nasa he couldn't be seen.

It's all a bit stupid now.

Keith_M
29-07-2017, 06:23 AM
He's not coming to Hibs.

No inside info, just that I think if he was going to sign, he would have by now.

I agree with the OP, time to move and and look elsewhere.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-07-2017, 06:28 AM
He'll always be a legend but, I've had enough too, surely if he wanted to come back he'd already be here.

SouthMoroccoStu
29-07-2017, 06:32 AM
From a guy I trust on Facebook

"Hibs have matched Anthony Stokes wage demands.

Anthony Stokes has knocked back offers from Turkey and China.

Anthony Stokes WILL sign for hibs in this window."

Patience is a virtue

flash
29-07-2017, 06:39 AM
I reckon all will be revealed very soon.

Souter96Mac
29-07-2017, 06:51 AM
I trust that Lennon and the club, much like Stokes, are also seeking out other options in attack. I guess the saga will still continue until he signs for someone

I'm_cabbaged
29-07-2017, 06:55 AM
Tactical timing for a final push on season ticket sales?

LancsHibs
29-07-2017, 06:56 AM
Agree with OP and others, a legend but let's draw a line under this and move on.

Dashing Bob S
29-07-2017, 07:01 AM
Don't understand why people get so worked up about this, and want to pull the plug on a potentially great signing or conclude it's a done deal. Both Hibs and Stokes will have multiple irons in the fire. If it happens, great, if not, onto the next target. If it all goes to the line, then so what? We have a good squad and have had a more than decent window so far.

Relax and enjoy.

Borderhibbie76
29-07-2017, 07:19 AM
Don't understand why people get so worked up about this, and want to pull the plug on a potentially great signing or conclude it's a done deal. Both Hibs and Stokes will have multiple irons in the fire. If it happens, great, if not, onto the next target. If it all goes to the line, then so what? We have a good squad and have had a more than decent window so far.

Relax and enjoy.That's just far too sensible Bob and won't go down well....its only because of all the ridiculous "done deal" and medical today nonsense that people are getting themselves so worked up. I have it on good authority from a few reliable people he's coming And I'm still happy to believe that's the case. Hey if it doesn't happen we move on we still have a great squad and we sign someone else. I'm sure lennon will move on if needed when the time is right

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Andy74
29-07-2017, 07:22 AM
I think decisions are best left to those with the details!

brog
29-07-2017, 07:23 AM

Relax and enjoy.

Exactly right. I moved jobs many years ago from Edinburgh to London. I was offered the job in April & moved in August. At no stage was i being awkward, in fact like AS I actually initially dropped money, but there are a myriad of things to clarify & agree before you can actually sign on the dotted line. In the old days no one knew a thing about transfers until they happened. Now everything occurs in the full glare of social media & we've become the impatient society. I very much suspect there's an age gap between those posters saying relax & those saying move on. Keep the faith. ☺

WhileTheChief..
29-07-2017, 07:25 AM
Could've just added this to the main thread?

Give him as long as it takes. If he signs by the end of the window I'll be delighted.

makaveli1875
29-07-2017, 07:34 AM
Its worth taking a bit of time to find the right quality and Stokesy definitly has that quality . If he doesnt sign at least we gave it a shot .. if he does sign then it will have been worth all the waiting

Famous Fiver
29-07-2017, 07:38 AM
Interesting that the Fyvie offer was apparently quickly withdrawn due to player allegedly taking his time, yet it appears that the Stokes offer is still on the table with no reported time limit.

B.H.F.C
29-07-2017, 07:41 AM
Interesting that the Fyvie offer was apparently quickly withdrawn due to player allegedly taking his time, yet it appears that the Stokes offer is still on the table with no reported time limit.

Fyvie rejected the initial offer. Different circumstances.

Heisenberg
29-07-2017, 07:42 AM

Don't think the situations can be compared. Entirely different scenario with Stokes.

the pie eater
29-07-2017, 07:43 AM
That's just far too sensible Bob and won't go down well....its only because of all the ridiculous "done deal" and medical today nonsense that people are getting themselves so worked up. I have it on good authority from a few reliable people he's coming And I'm still happy to believe that's the case. Hey if it doesn't happen we move on we still have a great squad and we sign someone else. I'm sure lennon will move on if needed when the time is right

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

:top marks
My feelings as well. I am sure Lennon will have other targets,
Who knows he may even be actively speaking to others that we are not aware of.

Tobias Funke
29-07-2017, 07:54 AM

Relax and enjoy.

If one thing has been apparent during this transfer window it's been the simple lack of patience among a section of the support in regards to recruitment. It's almost as if their general happiness is in tatters just because a player isn't signing/hasn't signed yet. They think transfers are a simple process but so many factors need to be considered, negotiations are long drawn out processes that can take weeks. I personally prefer to let the club get on with their business and am happy to let them announce new signings as and when appropriate. Patience is a virtue and it's sadly lacking in some of the edgy, jumpy characters posting on here.

If Stokes doesn't sign the club will have other options, they won't be running with only plan A. There will be plans B, C, D etc.

Sas_The_Hibby
29-07-2017, 08:18 AM
Maybe he signed last week and was playing against Arbroath but using stealth cloaking technology pioneered by Nasa he couldn't be seen.

It's all a bit stupid now.

Do you know this for a fact or are you just pretending to be in the know?

Firestarter
29-07-2017, 08:23 AM
Good things come to those who wait. I know historically this kind of game hasn't ended up the best but for class there are sacrifices and I would rather wait a while for plan a when it's obvious plan a will be the best option by a country mile.

Either that or they are waiting on Dagnall to make a double signing.

BoomtownHibees
29-07-2017, 08:27 AM
Good things come to those who wait. I know historically this kind of game hasn't ended up the best but for class there are sacrifices and I would rather wait a while for plan a when it's obvious plan a will be the best option by a country mile.

Either that or they are waiting on Dagnall to make a double signing.

I agree about waiting for quality however I do feel that there needs to be some sort of time limit on it to allow us to look elsewhere if we need to

SlickShoes
29-07-2017, 08:27 AM

Fyvie like other players going out of contract had offers on the table since April, plenty time to make a decision

BoomtownHibees
29-07-2017, 08:28 AM
Fyvie like other players going out of contract had offers on the table since April, plenty time to make a decision

And he also rejected our offer which is the biggest diff between that and the Stokes saga

calumhibee1
29-07-2017, 08:31 AM

Couple of differences. Fyvie rejected his deal. We also don't need Fyvie, where as we need a forward.

Absolutely no way should the deal be withdrawn from Stokes. We should be looking elsewhere and if we get someone over the line instead of Stokes then fair enough withdraw it then, but not before.

Stantons Angel
29-07-2017, 08:56 AM
Im just as fed up as everyone else waiting on him making his mind up.

Yes, he will always be a hero for the Hibs support and he will never have to buy another pint in the Leith area ever.

he has always been a mercurial type of player with deep thoughts inside on many things which often rose and brought trouble.

Im not saying that he is in trouble or anything like it but Lennon knows the guy and what he can be like mentally as well as psychologically.

There may be personal problems going on behind all the rumours of this and that needing taking care of before he can commit his future to us.

It is frustrating for the manager but he has shown Stokes the door is open and that he is wanted here and will be loved by the supporters of!the club.

I just hope that what ever is behind the delay will be sorted out and he will commit himself wholeheartedly to his football in a Hibs jersey!

yonder1875
29-07-2017, 08:58 AM

Relax and enjoy.

Correct.

EskbankHibby
29-07-2017, 09:00 AM

Relax and enjoy.

Indeed.

If Stokes doesn't sign I'll console myself with the signings of Swanson, Murray and the other 5 established internationals that we have signed with more than a month of the transfer window left.

That said, I would love to see Stokes back, absolute legend and talented footballer.

matty_f
29-07-2017, 09:03 AM

Relax and enjoy.

:agree:

I have to say, whether it's sensible or not, that after his performance in the cup final I'd happily wait for much longer if it meant that we signed him.

Guy's a legend in my eyes, so if he needs a couple of days/weeks to make an important decision then he's welcome to it.

Aldo
29-07-2017, 09:13 AM
I have every confidence in the club and NL bringing in further quality. I hope it's Stokes (and still think it will be) NL himself praised the board/club earlier in the week for backing him on the transfer front and they will continue to do so!

We have made some very excellent and quality acquisitions this summer. Barring the McLeish tenure I cannot remember so many quality players coming to the club!

This will hopefully continue for the next few weeks with a number of other quality additions Coming in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brightside
29-07-2017, 09:15 AM
Its beyond me why people get so worked up about this. But I wouldn't mind having to negotiate with half the Hibs fans based on this thread.

JimboHibs
29-07-2017, 09:16 AM
We've heard, he's clearing things up with Blackburn, we've heard, he's signing tomorrow about twenty times now, we've heard, he's at his medical, won't be long now.
The truth of the matter is that there's now no obstacles in his way other than himself accepting the given offer, Lennons even hinted that there may be room for improvements on this offer.
I think he's had long enough and if he really had it in his mind that this would be the place for him, then the contract would have been signed.
He's clearly holding out for more money, accepting that that's his right, but he clearly knows that what he thinks he can get, he ain't going to get here.
I say, call him up now and demand an answer and if if he's not prepared to make a decision at present, then make it for him.
He may be a legend in some eyes, but he's clearly, at this time, looking for more than we can give, end it now.

Is he ?? Are you privy to what he's looking for ?? You must be as you state 'he's clearly' or is this your assumption??

Heisenberg
29-07-2017, 09:25 AM
Lennon himself has mentioned it a few times recently. Fans are desperate for everything to happen now and want all new players in on the first day of pre season. It's just not possible. The Stokes thing is dragging on a bit but it's now looking like we're close to getting a resolution.

Ryan69
29-07-2017, 09:31 AM

As difficult as it it to understand the hold up...Whittaker took forever too.
But at least he signed.

Wish it would just get over the line now.

Baw187
29-07-2017, 09:31 AM
I'm pretty sure nobody would be disappointed if he signed up at 10.30pm on the 31st of August (or whenever the window slams [emoji23] shut).

Just let things take their course and leave Hibs to deal with it. I think the business we've done to date buys them the trust to do what's right for the club.

ancient hibee
29-07-2017, 10:02 AM
If he decides to go abroad we'll get him in January when it doesn't work out.Otherwise it's better we hang in there than pulling out of the deal and him deciding to go to Aberdeen.

Waxy
29-07-2017, 10:10 AM
I agree about waiting for quality however I do feel that there needs to be some sort of time limit on it to allow us to look elsewhere if we need to

Think that time has passed now. We've put all our eggs in this basket. It's probably a decent sign that we'll get him.

hibsbollah
29-07-2017, 10:14 AM
Do you know this for a fact or are you just pretending to be in the know?

I can't say indisputably it isn't untrue. On the other hand, the opposite could certainly be the case.

H18 SFR
29-07-2017, 10:14 AM
I honestly think that stokes has no intention of signing for anyone but us. I'm sure he is just playing the waiting game to see how much extra he can get out of us. I remember speaking to a player during the late 90's/early 00's who said even the. It was common to hold off for £50 a week more.

Bmcchis
29-07-2017, 10:17 AM
As difficult as it it to understand the hold up...Whittaker took forever too.
But at least he signed.

Wish it would just get over the line now.
Whittaker was contracted to his club until the 15 July to obtain a loyalty bonus

brog
29-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Whittaker was contracted to his club until the 15 July to obtain a loyalty bonus

This has become a new Hibs Net fact. Steven's contract expired on 30 June 2017.
http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich-city-transfer-rumours-steven-whittaker-set-to-follow-canaries-release-with-a-return-to-scottish-premiership-new-boys-hibernian-1-5060887

matty_f
29-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Think that time has passed now. We've put all our eggs in this basket. It's probably a decent sign that we'll get him.

We haven't really put all our eggs in one basket when we've signed two other strikers already.

18Hibee75
29-07-2017, 10:37 AM
None of us on this thread know exactly what stokes is thinking. We also don't know if Lennon is preparing for stokes to reject and has another target lined up.

I would much prefer stokes to accept and join us as in my eyes he is a hibs legend and a very good goalscorer. However, it is not the end of the world if he doesn't. We will move onto our other targets and we will be fine. The deal is not done or over until we hear an official announcement, patience.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

29-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Hibs have put together the best deal we can and given him a very simple "take it or leave it". Balls in his court, he's seen what we have to offer. In the meantime we have to look elsewhere, we can't keep hanging around waiting on him making a decision. We need to get on with other business.

I don't know whats holding up Stokes decision, money I would imagine but as I say, hibs have put the ball firmly in his court now. The fact we have given him a "take it or leave it" offer suggests that we are moving on, we aren't stalling around, going back and forward negotiating. The offer is the best we can put together, we wont be negotiating any more.

Smartie
29-07-2017, 10:55 AM
Murray's good form makes me a lot more relaxed.

We've been playing well and scoring quite freely during our friendlies and early League Cup games. If we hadn't (and let's face it, we haven't always scored freely against poor teams over the past few years) then I'd be a lot more concerned.

As it is, I'm far more relaxed about the fact that Stokes appears to be taking his time.

This will sound unfair but I think that Stokes thinks that he's above us. He's taking a bit of of time to find out that he's not.

He's a very good player who should have achieved more, but the way he fell away at Celtic and then the way things went for him at Blackburn, coming to us (after we've pushed the boat out for him) is the right move for him.

I'm sure he could get more cash elsewhere but a move to China or Turkey could be another short-term cash-motivated move that sees his career fall away a bit further.

If he does well at Hibs he might still have a good move in him after leaving us.

Hibbyradge
29-07-2017, 10:58 AM
He may be a legend in some eyes

If playing a blinder and scoring twice in our first SC win for 115 years doesn't get you legend status, what does?

Regarding your wider point, if Leonardo Messi was considering joining Hibs, would you force a deadline on him?

Obviously Stokes isn't Messi, but he's the best striker we're likely to get close to signing permanently by a stretch so he's worth waiting for.

People need to work on their patience and resilience. Thankfully our manager has oodles of both.

MWHIBBIES
29-07-2017, 10:59 AM
Probably going to trust Neil Lennon to decide when it is time to move on.

Lago
29-07-2017, 11:04 AM
Probably going to trust Neil Lennon to decide when it is time to move on.
Exactly, he is the only one qualified to make that decision.

Firestarter
29-07-2017, 11:06 AM
If playing a blinder and scoring twice in our first SC win for 115 years doesn't get you legend status, what does?

Regarding your wider point, if Leonardo Messi was considering joining Hibs, would you force a deadline on him?

Obviously Stokes isn't Messi, but he's the best striker we're likely to get close to signing permanently by a stretch so he's worth waiting for.

People need to work on their patience and resilience. Thankfully our manager has oodles of both.

Spot on. Didn't even notice the "in some eyes" laughable.

Thecat23
29-07-2017, 11:15 AM

"He may be a legend in some eyes"

Wait this can't be a serious comment? Scores two goals in the Scottish cup final, rips The Rangers a new @rse and comes back with a winners medal. If that's isn't a legend I have no idea what or who is?

If it wasn't for Stokes that day Hibs wouldn't have won that cup he was simply outstanding.

KWJ
29-07-2017, 11:16 AM

Relax and enjoy.

Exactly. If the club (or the player) felt it needed a deadline they would have one ala Fyvie.

KWJ
29-07-2017, 11:20 AM
This is probably Stokes' most important contract of his career given that he's 28. He may have earned more money with previous contracts but he won't have expected to be taking a large wage drop at this stage of his career.

Super_JMcGinn
29-07-2017, 11:26 AM

He's a legend in every Hibs fans eyes. FWIW I don't think he'll come because I too think he can earn a lot more money elsewhere, doesn't mean to say he doesn't love the club any less.

Johnny Clash
29-07-2017, 11:40 AM
Every aspect of our offer/package needs looking at as I'm guessing it's not just about money. Maybe there's other tweaks that can be adjusted to seal the deal? The time it's taking shows things are delicately poised and could go either way. At least we know all avenues are being carefully explored by both sides and if we miss out then it won't be for the want of trying!

Malthibby
29-07-2017, 11:44 AM
I can't say indisputably it isn't untrue. On the other hand, the opposite could certainly be the case.

So is it disputably untrue, or indisputably true?
come back Stokes and end all this disputation.
GG

Smartie
29-07-2017, 11:47 AM
He's a legend in every Hibs fans eyes. FWIW I don't think he'll come because I too think he can earn a lot more money elsewhere, doesn't mean to say he doesn't love the club any less.

I don't think Stokes gives two hoots about Hibs.

That doesn't mean he won't sign for us, or that he won't be brilliant for us if he does sign.

If our offer does more for him than any other club's offer does then he'll join us.

I suspect he'll grow fonder of us as he gets older though, as he'll always be held in higher regard by our fans than by any other, and when he's old, fat, skint, bald (again) and lonely, the love from us will start to mean a bit more to him.

hibsbollah
29-07-2017, 11:57 AM
So is it disputably untrue, or indisputably true?
come back Stokes and end all this disputation.
GG

I can't say that it's indisputably untrue either way.

I demand a press conference to end all this HELL

BlackSheep
29-07-2017, 11:58 AM
I think Stokes may well have expected that his career in England would have taken him on to better things, possibly premiership football or at least good cup runs against premiership opponents.

This hasn't materialised and in my opinion he needs to reset and work hard to get back into form and into people's minds as a good player again... right now every opinion, apart from Hibs', starts with "he's a great player..." and ends with "he has his personal issues".

He needs a season or two in a team/league where he will flourish and be a player on everybody's lips and on the back pages for the right reasons... then he might get a more lucrative deal again.

IncredibleHibee
29-07-2017, 12:21 PM

:faf::faf::faf::faf:

Smartie
29-07-2017, 12:29 PM

Sung in a country music style by a pretty young blonde lady in a cowboy hat.

RossScott1991
29-07-2017, 12:38 PM
If it wasn't people saying they have seen his car at training ground, he is having medical, he will be announced wednesday and social media pages stating he has agreed a 2 year deal then we wouldn't be getting too wound up about time it is taking. I can see where OP is coming from, i'd just say be patience ignore stuff you read on here and on twitter etc and just let it play out. All the best signings take time, if we don't get him then just have to accept it but we will sign someone else. If its while season started then so be it, i think we have just about enough to cope for a couple weeks into season with players we have to get points on board.

Super_JMcGinn
29-07-2017, 01:16 PM
I don't think Stokes gives two hoots about Hibs

That doesn't mean he won't sign for us, or that he won't be brilliant for us if he does sign.

If our offer does more for him than any other club's offer does then he'll join us.

I suspect he'll grow fonder of us as he gets older though, as he'll always be held in higher regard by our fans than by any other, and when he's old, fat, skint, bald (again) and lonely, the love from us will start to mean a bit more to him.

Really? Anyone seeing Stokesy in his aftermatch celebrations/interviews will tell you differently, Stokesy loves Hibs.

snooky
29-07-2017, 01:48 PM
Really? Anyone seeing Stokesy in his aftermatch celebrations/interviews will tell you differently, Stokesy loves Hibs.

When he retires it won't surprise me if he says that game was the highlight of his career.
I think the rest of the team will feel the same.