PDA

View Full Version : Attendances

Monts
27-07-2017, 11:19 AM
While trying to work out which season I first got my season ticket I was having a look through some historical matches. Obviously I went to look at the 6-2 game, but something caught my eye during that same season.

This game against Kilmarnock (https://spfl.co.uk/premiership/fixture/1781946/)

It looks like this was the decider for 3rd place. Kilmarnock were our only rival for that spot by that point in the season, and a win would see them unable to catch us.

Attendance - 8224

It seems crazy looking at it now, to what was a very successful season, and think that we are getting near double that figure now.

Was there a reason for such low attendances that I'm forgetting?

The_Exile
27-07-2017, 11:23 AM
Was that when the new West Stand was going up?

Ringothedog
27-07-2017, 11:25 AM

yes

The_Exile
27-07-2017, 11:26 AM
So the answer to the question is, cos we only hud 3 stands :greengrin

Monts
27-07-2017, 11:27 AM
So the answer to the question is, cos we only hud 3 stands :greengrin

That makes sense now :greengrin

Monts
27-07-2017, 11:30 AM
FWIW that is quite a good website to look through.

greenlad
27-07-2017, 11:34 AM

Yes, that game was a 12.30pm kickoff as the floodlights were down. The ground held around 11,000 in that state so it was still far from full.

If memory serves that was the first time there was really any perception that ticket prices were expensive, ie over the £20 mark and the walkup crowds and away support were maybe not what they were.

Also there is usually a 1 year "lag" in season ticket sales, which are based on the season before. Hence the good season 2000-01 showing a lower average than 2001-02 (McLeish, Sauzee, Williamson) which nearly turned into a catastrophe.

patlowe
27-07-2017, 11:46 AM
I can't remember exactly but I think our form had dropped off a cliff in the Spring after being in strong contention for 2nd up to January/February. There may have been a bit of a lull in the support at that point as a result.

It is true though that we don't seem to get a real surge in support until the season after the successful season. The ST sales figure after the 2007 league cup win is perhaps an even better example than now, given that winning the Scottish Cup was always going to have a huge impact and promotion just added to the sense of momentum.

Alan62
27-07-2017, 12:17 PM
It just shows though that the neighbours have a cheek trying to avoid home games at the start of the season when other clubs have had to bite the bullet and play to a reduced capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean1875
27-07-2017, 12:20 PM
It just shows though that the neighbours have a cheek trying to avoid home games at the start of the season when other clubs have had to bite the bullet and play to a reduced capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're obviously just that desperate for cash they're unwilling to take the dropped attendances/income - **** them, if we can do it then so can they.

Hibernian Verse
27-07-2017, 12:22 PM
Great looking through the two squads. Freddy Dindeleux was my favourite non-Hibs player in the league, thought he was quality.

Yorkshire HFC
27-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Changed days - I remember regularly being in crowds of three and four thousand in the 70s and 80s.

But also being in big crowds when you could just pay at the gate.

Is It On....
27-07-2017, 08:04 PM
While trying to work out which season I first got my season ticket I was having a look through some historical matches. Obviously I went to look at the 6-2 game, but something caught my eye during that same season.

This game against Kilmarnock (https://spfl.co.uk/premiership/fixture/1781946/)

It looks like this was the decider for 3rd place. Kilmarnock were our only rival for that spot by that point in the season, and a win would see them unable to catch us.

Attendance - 8224

It seems crazy looking at it now, to what was a very successful season, and think that we are getting near double that figure now.

Was there a reason for such low attendances that I'm forgetting?

First season ticket was the season we started with a home game game against the Souness Huns..

where'stheslope
27-07-2017, 08:21 PM
Crowds will always appear to go up and down throughout the seasons because of Summer holidays, xmas and school holidays.

At the moment, its great to be getting big crowds and mostly season tickets is even better, but, the no pay at the gate means it is harder to just turn up for a game.

Not everyone can afford to buy a season ticket then only be able to use it for the games they can make it to!

Maybe the Club could have a section available as pay at the gate where there are no season ticket holders in that section?

I feel that other than Celtic, Hearts and Rangers games this could work and extra revenue is always welcome.

Having to go to the stadium early to get a ticket, then go back for the game puts most people off going.

Another idea would be, buying a season ticket between say 4 fans and between them say what games they can and can't make and work it out between themselves.

greenlex
27-07-2017, 08:43 PM
Time to get the corners filled in.

G B Young
27-07-2017, 08:59 PM
I can't remember exactly but I think our form had dropped off a cliff in the Spring after being in strong contention for 2nd up to January/February. There may have been a bit of a lull in the support at that point as a result.

That was certainly a factor. We had all but sewn up a top three spot by Christmas IIRC and as you say second place was very much up for grabs, but we fell away in the new year and the run to the Scottish Cup final masked some pretty flat league form.

Hermit Crab
28-07-2017, 03:53 AM
Time to get the corners filled in.

We'd need to sell out season tickets for a few seasons in a row for the club to even consider that.

pacoluna
28-07-2017, 07:27 AM
Substitutes

12.Ian Westwater
13.Grant Brebner
14.Mixu Paatelainen
15.Dirk Lehmann
16.David Zitelli

what a bench that was btw.

patlowe
28-07-2017, 07:31 AM
Substitutes

12.Ian Westwater
13.Grant Brebner
14.Mixu Paatelainen
15.Dirk Lehmann
16.David Zitelli

what a bench that was btw.

Not too much in the way of defensive cover :greengrin although am I right in remembering that big Dirk had a wee stint at the back at some point?

pacoluna
28-07-2017, 07:37 AM
Not too much in the way of defensive cover :greengrin although am I right in remembering that big Dirk had a wee stint at the back at some point?
Sauzee and Jack were our defensive cover :greengrin Dirk played one game in defence against dundee I'm sure which we won.