PDA

View Full Version : League Cup Progress

BlackSheep
25-07-2017, 10:08 PM
So as it stands Partick Thistle and Hibernian are the only teams able to finish in second place with 10 pts after all games played.

So with this in mind, if we beat Alloa we are through, yes?

Top teams plus best four 2nd placed teams.

Sammy7nil
25-07-2017, 10:11 PM
So as it stands Partick Thistle and Hibernian are the only teams able to finish in second place with 10 pts after all games played.

Yes a draw and pens win probably enough. We wont be said seeded tbough.

Billy Whizz
25-07-2017, 10:12 PM

All group winners plus top 4 runners up
Win at Alloa and we'll be at least the top if, not 2nd top runner up

Pescarese
25-07-2017, 10:18 PM

Doesn't affect the outcome for Hibs, but I think Dundee or Dundee Utd could also achieve 10 points in second place. But you're right, beat Alloa and we're going through.

Billy Whizz
25-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Doesn't affect the outcome for Hibs, but I think Dundee or Dundee Utd could also achieve 10 points in second place. But you're right, beat Alloa and we're going through.

And if County draw, we'd win the group

Sir David Gray
25-07-2017, 10:59 PM
And if County draw, we'd win the group

We would but I think we have to assume Ross County will win that one.

I didn't see anything tonight which suggests Arbroath will take anything from that one.

Borderhibbie76
25-07-2017, 11:01 PM
We would but I think we have to assume Ross County will win that one.

I didn't see anything tonight which suggests Arbroath will take anything from that one.I dunno Arbroath are at home...never say never

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

jacomo
25-07-2017, 11:04 PM
I hate this format.

I have no idea which teams are in this round, what our table looks like, what the next round looks like if we get through, or how many more rounds before the final.

Bonus points on offer for penalty shoot outs ffs.

Rubbish.

Billy Whizz
25-07-2017, 11:05 PM
I dunno Arbroath are at home...never say never

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hope the winds increase

Pete
25-07-2017, 11:07 PM
So if we win we'll top the group unless county win too. Or they could draw, get the bonus point and it would come down to goal difference...but it wouldn't matter as we'd both be through anyway.

Eh...whu!

danhibees1875
25-07-2017, 11:34 PM
I hate this format.

I have no idea which teams are in this round, what our table looks like, what the next round looks like if we get through, or how many more rounds before the final.

Rubbish.

I'm not sure how much of you not knowing those things can be blamed on the current LC format. :greengrin

Pescarese
25-07-2017, 11:39 PM
So if we win we'll top the group unless county win too. Or they could draw, get the bonus point and it would come down to goal difference...but it wouldn't matter as we'd both be through anyway.

Eh...whu!
Yep, and if County top the group and are seeded, then there's a 1 in 8 chance we play each other again in the next round.

hibbysam
26-07-2017, 05:59 AM
Yep, and if County top the group and are seeded, then there's a 1 in 8 chance we play each other again in the next round.

Seeded teams likely to include Ayr Falkirk Livingston

lyonhibs
26-07-2017, 06:01 AM
I hate this format.

Rubbish.

On the plus side, it has given Hearts the opportunity to get pumped by Peterhead, one they have grasped with both hands....

Pescarese
26-07-2017, 07:51 AM
Seeded teams likely to include Ayr Falkirk Livingston
Ayr and Falkirk possibly, but Livingston don't have enough points/goals. If Ross County win, as I expect they will, they'll be ahead of Livi.

I'm hoping Hibs get Dunfermline in the next round, obviously ...

frazeHFC
26-07-2017, 07:58 AM
In the last 16 are you blocked from getting the team from your group, or could we potentially be drawn against Ross County if they are seeded?

Pescarese
26-07-2017, 08:10 AM
In the last 16 are you blocked from getting the team from your group, or could we potentially be drawn against Ross County if they are seeded?
I don't think there's any blocking. The best four second place teams won't all be behind teams that get seeded.

Keith_M
26-07-2017, 08:16 AM
I want Hibs to be drawn against Ross County.

Time for some revenge.

:devil:

heretoday
26-07-2017, 08:20 AM
I want Hibs to be drawn against Ross County.

Time for some revenge.

:devil:

Or Livingston. League Cup revenge. Or Falkirk. Just general revenge.

Billy Whizz
26-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Draw is on Sunday after the Dundee Derby

BegbieHSC
26-07-2017, 08:32 AM
Would I be right in thinking that the seeded teams (4 Europe, and 4 Best Group Winners) are automacally given a home game for the next round?

In the event of us finishing second in the group in that event, we could potentially end up at Mordor twice in the one week...

Billy Whizz
26-07-2017, 08:40 AM
Would I be right in thinking that the seeded teams (4 Europe, and 4 Best Group Winners) are automacally given a home game for the next round?

In the event of us finishing second in the group in that event, we could potentially end up at Mordor twice in the one week...

No, seeeed teams can be drawn home or away, all up to the little balls in the glass case

BegbieHSC
26-07-2017, 08:42 AM
No, seeeed teams can be drawn home or away, all up to the little balls in the glass case

Awesome! Pumping Sevco at home, followed by a swift demolition at Ibrox in the same week would be just delightful!

hibbysam
26-07-2017, 09:22 AM
Ayr and Falkirk possibly, but Livingston don't have enough points/goals. If Ross County win, as I expect they will, they'll be ahead of Livi.

I'm hoping Hibs get Dunfermline in the next round, obviously ...

Livingston are top of "seedings" list at the moment. Now it is more than likely 4 of the other top place teams will win their last game, it's by no means guaranteed.

Pescarese
26-07-2017, 08:05 PM
Livingston are top of "seedings" list at the moment. Now it is more than likely 4 of the other top place teams will win their last game, it's by no means guaranteed.
True it's not impossible, but one or other of the Dundee teams will overtake Livi. Falkirk, Motherwell, Ross County and Ayr all have very winnable last games to overtake Livi, and Dunfermline have a very decent chance too. They'll want the advantage of seeding, most are playing teams who are already out. I can't see three of the five Jambo-ing it.

Sammy7nil
26-07-2017, 08:35 PM

This is probably a daft question but how will they do the draw? You cant have all 16 in the same pot as there would be no seeding:confused: So how do they decide who is at home?

Sir David Gray
26-07-2017, 08:38 PM
This is probably a daft question but how will they do the draw? You cant have all 16 in the same pot as there would be no seeding:confused: So how do they decide who is at home?

They'll have the seeds and non-seeds in two different pots.

Game one - seed v non seed
Game two - non seed v seed

Etc etc

Sammy7nil
26-07-2017, 08:40 PM
They'll have the seeds and non-seeds in two different pots.

Game one - seed v non seed
Game two - non seed v seed

Etc etc

I thought that but that means four seeds away from home and four at home all seems a bit fixed. :greengrin

Bristolhibby
26-07-2017, 09:06 PM
I thought that but that means four seeds away from home and four at home all seems a bit fixed. :greengrin

Fixed, but fair.

It's random, within a boundary.

J

RyeSloan
26-07-2017, 09:20 PM

Same for the unseeded then I suppose...

RyeSloan
26-07-2017, 09:27 PM
I've actually warmed to this rather odd set up...it's a pretty good pre season schedule and better than meaningless friendlies.

Attendances have been a bit brutal but none the less I'm sure it's some welcome cash flow for some of the lower league teams. If it works for then don't see why we shouldn't keep it for a while at least.

mjhibby
26-07-2017, 09:35 PM
I hate this format.

Rubbish.

The whole format needs looked at. It's ridiculous we could end up with more points in a tough group than others in easier groups yet we aren't seeded and hertz who lose to Peterhead will be seeded if they beat the pars. Daft.

Pescarese
26-07-2017, 09:43 PM
The whole format needs looked at. It's ridiculous we could end up with more points in a tough group than others in easier groups yet we aren't seeded and hertz who lose to Peterhead will be seeded if they beat the pars. Daft.
If Hertz scrape through they won't be seeded.

Hibernian Verse
26-07-2017, 09:44 PM
The whole format needs looked at. It's ridiculous we could end up with more points in a tough group than others in easier groups yet we aren't seeded and hertz who lose to Peterhead will be seeded if they beat the pars. Daft.It's the same as any group stage in the world.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

jacomo
26-07-2017, 09:52 PM
It's the same as any group stage in the world.

I've long believed that if you can't communicate an idea in a concise and clear way, it's not a good idea.

I've yet to hear or read a concise and clear explanation of this competition format.

BoomtownHibees
26-07-2017, 09:55 PM
I've long believed that if you can't communicate an idea in a concise and clear way, it's not a good idea.

I've yet to hear or read a concise and clear explanation of this competition format.

What don't you understand about it? It seems quite a simple format to me

Sammy7nil
26-07-2017, 10:00 PM
Same for the unseeded then I suppose...

Yip the problem for me is all eight seeds or none seeds should have the chance of a home draw and they don't. I know all teams have a chance of a home draw but you know at the start four seeds won't get it just seems wrong :greengrin

mjhibby
27-07-2017, 01:10 AM
It's the same as any group stage in the world.

As we've seen from the crowds and what our manager has said they are seen as glorified preseason games even though it is realisticly one of the two trophies we can win. Maybe it will catch on but only if the games are later and near the end of the summer hols. I was in 30 degree heat when the first two games were on.

Hibeesmad
27-07-2017, 01:52 AM
If Hertz scrape through they won't be seeded.

If hearts draw or lose and Peterhead win then hearts are out the competition

mjhibby
27-07-2017, 07:50 AM

If hertz lose or draw it doesn't matter what Peterhead do as they won't be one of the best 4 runners up. Even if they beat the pars they will be unseeded as we will assuming both us and county win.

Billy Whizz
27-07-2017, 08:31 AM

Let's just make sure we win on Saturday, and qualify

RoxburghHibs
27-07-2017, 09:01 AM

Win gets you three points, draw gets you one point then there is a penalty shoot out for a bonus point.

simple format and I actually like the penalty shootout idea - even though we may come second due to this.

Bishop Hibee
27-07-2017, 09:07 AM
Let's just make sure we win on Saturday, and qualify

This. The AstroTurf at Alloa is a leveller though we should have enough to go through. Livi at home next round please.

brog
27-07-2017, 09:21 AM
Yip the problem for me is all eight seeds or none seeds should have the chance of a home draw and they don't. I know all teams have a chance of a home draw but you know at the start four seeds won't get it just seems wrong :greengrin

IMO the only thing wrong with it is seeding in the ko phase in the 1st place. We don't have seeding in the Scottish, why do we have it in the League Cup? it demeans the competition. At the end of the day though we have a 50/50 chance of a home draw, that's no different to the Scottish Cup. As it happens, if we win on Saturday we could be playing 1 of the 4 euro teams in the last 16 but also any 4 from Livi, Falkirk, Ayr, Well, Ross C, Dunfy or a Dundee team. We cannot play Yams in last 16 which I'm sure is a considerable relief to our neighbours! Having said that there remains a theoretical chance of us being a seed but it would require an extraordinary sequence of events for it to happen.