PDA

View Full Version : Whittaker's distribution

Baw187
25-07-2017, 09:45 PM
I don't recall him spraying balls like that the last time he was here!! Clearly learnt a thing or 2 down yonder.

JimBHibees
25-07-2017, 09:47 PM
I don't recall him spraying balls like that the last time he was here!! Clearly learnt a thing or 2 down yonder.

Absolutely quality ball for final goal was a thing of beauty.

B.H.F.C
25-07-2017, 09:48 PM
His passing, with both feet, was superb at times. And he was always looking forward as well which makes a massive difference.

Skol
25-07-2017, 09:49 PM
I think that should be Whitaker's position for the season

Vault Boy
25-07-2017, 09:50 PM
Great to hear this. He wasn't effective in midfield for Norwich, but that doesn't mean he can't do it for us.

BoomtownHibees
25-07-2017, 09:50 PM

Me too

Stevie Reid
25-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Having a truly two footed player with his ability is a gift for us.

BlackSheep
25-07-2017, 09:51 PM
What about mcgeouch?

It's a good problem to have tho 👍🏻

hibs4life
25-07-2017, 09:52 PM
Thought he upped his game and was much more effective once McGinn went off and he became the focal point for much of our possession and forward play.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-07-2017, 09:53 PM
Great to hear this. He wasn't effective in midfield for Norwich, but that doesn't mean he can't do it for us.

He was for us before he left. Let somebody else worry about defending and leave him to concentrate on attacking.

Stevie Reid
25-07-2017, 09:53 PM
What about mcgeouch?

It's a good problem to have tho 👍🏻

Given Gray and McGeough miss a fair number of games between them a season, he'll be well utilised in both roles I think.

Baw187
25-07-2017, 09:54 PM
He didn't have the guile of big Marv or SJM but his use of the ball was very very good.

One thing it does give us is options in midfield cause they all have different qualities they bring to the table. And that's before you add the Lithuanian boy.

Skol
25-07-2017, 09:57 PM
He didn't have the guile of big Marv or SJM but his use of the ball was very very good.

One thing it does give us is options in midfield cause they all have different qualities they bring to the table. And that's before you add the Lithuanian boy.

R U serious ?

BoomtownHibees
25-07-2017, 10:00 PM
He didn't have the guile of big Marv

Lol

Brightside
25-07-2017, 10:00 PM

I can't agree - remember the level we were playing against. I thought he got caught I'm possession far too much. His distribution is great but he wont get that time against top level teams. For me out right in a 352. Id have him in there before SDG.

Baw187
25-07-2017, 10:03 PM
R U serious ?

Getting my words mixed up! [emoji23]

I thought guile meant strong, tough etc.

Poor education!

Brightside
25-07-2017, 10:12 PM
if we signed a left sided player with the pace of boyle we'd be looking at top 3 for me.

ehf
25-07-2017, 10:14 PM
Absolutely quality ball for final goal was a thing of beauty.

:agree: as was his ball down the wing to Boyle for the third goal; beautifully flighted and perfectly weighted.

frazeHFC
25-07-2017, 10:15 PM
I forgot just how classy a player Whittaker is. Very good signing by us!

Stevie Reid
25-07-2017, 10:22 PM
Every single player we have seems so comfortable on the ball at the moment, great to see.

esjorto
25-07-2017, 10:24 PM
Really good performance.

California-Hibs
25-07-2017, 10:56 PM
It's the kind of performance which I knew we'd see fairly quickly. The guys QUALITY!

jacomo
25-07-2017, 10:59 PM
if we signed a left sided player with the pace of boyle we'd be looking at top 3 for me.

Swanson will play left.

Stokes played left of a front three a lot under Lenny at Celtc. If he signs of course.

Wee Effen Bee
25-07-2017, 11:04 PM

His to lose - 100%. If you can't see his quality there - despite the opposition being on a lower standing - there is something wrong with you or you're at it.:greengrin

J-C
25-07-2017, 11:08 PM
Given Gray and McGeough miss a fair number of games between them a season, he'll be well utilised in both roles I think.

41 games last season and 47 the season before ( 33 + 31 in the league ) suggests Gray doesn't miss loads of games.

Stevie Reid
26-07-2017, 12:30 AM
41 games last season and 47 the season before ( 33 + 31 in the league ) suggests Gray doesn't miss loads of games.

39 last season. 47 the year before is correct. 34 the year before that - when I think he had groin surgery, IIRC.

I think I was mistakenly of the belief that the shoulder injury he sustained against Brondby last year kept him out for a while.

Anyway, we know that McGeough is likely to miss more than a few, and I'm delighted that SW is an option in both positions. Though Whits was really good at RB on Friday.

ballengeich
26-07-2017, 12:44 AM
Something in the back of my mind says that Whittaker was originally a midfielder, ranked behind Brown and Thomson in the youth team, and became a right back almost by accident because there was a vacancy in the Hibs team one day. He performed so well in his new role that his original position was forgotten about. He certainly can play in midfield as an alternative to being a defender.

In addition to his skills he always seemed a sensible character.

Haymaker
26-07-2017, 02:01 AM
Something in the back of my mind says that Whittaker was originally a midfielder, ranked behind Brown and Thomson in the youth team, and became a right back almost by accident because there was a vacancy in the Hibs team one day. He performed so well in his new role that his original position was forgotten about. He certainly can play in midfield as an alternative to being a defender.

In addition to his skills he always seemed a sensible character.

A lot of professional players played a completely different position at youth than they do at first team level. Randomly, most of the best defenders tend to have been forwards or midfielders.

neil7908
26-07-2017, 06:47 AM

Once Stokes is in another quick winger who can play on the left is a must for me. We need to balance the side up a bit more rather than expecting Boyle to be the only one attacking at pace (I don't imagine Murray will start for us but could be wrong)

Stokes, Silvka and a winger, with Commons to come would be brilliant. I'd actually worry about how we'd keep the squad happy given the number of options in midfield and defence!

inglisavhibs
26-07-2017, 07:14 AM
I can't agree - remember the level we were playing against. I thought he got caught I'm possession far too much. His distribution is great but he wont get that time against top level teams. For me out right in a 352. Id have him in there before SDG.

Not a central midfield player but will be great for us at either full back position. Good signing.

number9dream
26-07-2017, 08:57 AM
A fantastic addition. SW gives Neil Lennon a variety of options and has composure on the ball, along with valuable experience.
We've got very keen competition for places all over the park now, apart from up top and hopefully that will soon be rectified.
A few interesting headaches for the manager ahead but it's great that we have the personnel to keep the team fresh without diminishing quality and comfortably change formations and tactics to suit the occasion.

California-Hibs
26-07-2017, 09:08 AM
How do folk reckon he done in general last night playing centre midfield? Was gonna start a new thread but figured ill just stick it here.

Thought he done very very well myself.

Crazyhorse
26-07-2017, 09:17 AM

Spot on. More and more space and time as the game wore on against increasingly dispirited part-timers.
Nice to see bit of ruthlessness throughout the team though and the contrast with the jambos' epic balls-up was stark.

uk3doorsdown
26-07-2017, 12:54 PM
caught on the ball a little too much last night, could have been worse if we had played a stronger opposition. But the lad is trying to get match sharp so that has to be taken into consideration

danhibees1875
26-07-2017, 01:01 PM
caught on the ball a little too much last night, could have been worse if we had played a stronger opposition. But the lad is trying to get match sharp so that has to be taken into consideration

Sums it up for me I think. I think he'll become a very good addition to the squad, just not sure where yet.

Smartie
26-07-2017, 01:08 PM

He was getting up to match fitness and playing in a new position. I'm sure he'd adapt.

One thing that I really liked about our play was our ability to switch play with a long pass.

When we've played the diamond, we've often been guilty of shuffling the ball from side to side without getting anywhere, with the potential for a big switch but with nobody to deliver it. I've thought for a few years that the player we were most crying out for was a Boozy, who used to be superb at switching the play.

Whittaker did it to great effect last night, McGinn has already done it a few times this season and Porteous hit a few lovely long balls yesterday too.

kaimendhibs
26-07-2017, 01:18 PM
I wouldnt. SDG gets up and down the line brilliantly, defends well and is a terrific attacking option in the air at the back stick

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk