PDA

View Full Version : Ryan porteous

21sMay
25-07-2017, 08:59 PM
This lad could play a part this season . Take away the goals and he has still strolled through games . Loves a tackle and is great in the air. He is also a massive hibs fan which is always a bonus

jax67
25-07-2017, 09:27 PM
This lad could play a part this season . Take away the goals and he has still strolled through games . Loves a tackle and is great in the air. He is also a massive hibs fan which is always a bonus

Love this lad!! Cool as, and he can play.

GreenCastle
25-07-2017, 09:29 PM
We had a thread on him a week or so ago.

Having watched him and a few others of the young development team last season we have a few excellent young players coming through.

Ryan is the next Hanlon and a bonus he is scoring too!

Keep up the good work.

frazeHFC
25-07-2017, 09:30 PM
Looked liked he'd been in our first team for years. Very good performance again.

GGTTH07
25-07-2017, 09:33 PM
Absolutely delighted for him. Nothing better than one of our won representing us! Deserves to be in the mix for next Saturday.

Stevie Reid
25-07-2017, 09:35 PM
Looks like he will be a very good player for us.

Billy Whizz
25-07-2017, 09:35 PM
The likes of Porteous, Murray and Shaw etc, have all Glenn given a chance by Lennon, and taken it
Lennon went to most the development games last season, coaching from the side, so he knows what they are capable of

Billychaotic182
25-07-2017, 09:37 PM
Don't want to get ahead of myself but he is really talented and strolled through the games he has played so far

edinburghhibee
25-07-2017, 09:38 PM
Tin hat firmly on here but I thought he got caught out on numerous occasions in the first half today because he was diving in. Looks a good prospect but still a lot to work on I think.

Took both goals well and got the penalty we missed though so I won't grumble too much about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
25-07-2017, 09:39 PM
Don't want to get ahead of myself but he is really talented and strolled through the games he has played so far

He's only just turned 18, Lennon's got a big decision to make, whether to keep him or put him out on loan until January

Stevie Reid
25-07-2017, 09:42 PM
He's only just turned 18, Lennon's got a big decision to make, whether to keep him or put him out on loan until January

Can't see him going out now. If we play three at the back a lot, we'll need him around. But most importantly, he looks the part.

hibbytam
25-07-2017, 09:43 PM
Tin hat firmly on here but I thought he got caught out on numerous occasions in the first half today because he was diving in. Looks a good prospect but still a lot to work on I think.

Took both goals well and got the penalty we missed though so I won't grumble too much about it.

I was just going to post the same, there was a couple of times in the second half that there was a hole in his side of the back 3, which would have cost us against a better team.
But you can get away with that more in that sort of game, and i'm sure he'll learn.

Fritz
25-07-2017, 09:45 PM
Wonder how much he'll realistically feature in the league this season though. McGregor and Ambrose first choice pairing? Hanlon back when fit, Fontaine there too. Even if we play 3 at the back he might not get much game time. Might be better for his development to go out on loan as was the original plan.

Billy Whizz
25-07-2017, 09:45 PM
Can't see him going out now. If we play three at the back a lot, we'll need him around. But most importantly, he looks the part.

I still think he'll go out on loan at the end of the window, if everyone in defence is fit. We won't play 352 every week, and we've got McGregor, Ambrose, Hanlon and Fontaine available

Craig_HFC
25-07-2017, 09:46 PM
He got caught out a couple of times positionally tonight but that'll come with experience. He looks like a very promising player, very comfortable on the ball and very strong in the air.

Smartie
25-07-2017, 09:47 PM

We did get caught down his side once or twice, but I'd put it more down to David Gray getting caught up the park than anything to do with Porteous.

I thought I noticed him give it away once in the first half and I saw him beaten to a header in the second, but other than that I thought it was one of the most exemplary performances I've seen from a young Hibs player.

Strong in the tackle, won his headers, a threat in the opposition box, good and very composed on the ball, not afraid to take a touch and some superb long passing and switching of the play.

I know it was only Arbroath but I thought that was an absolutely superb performance from him.

Lennon is going to have some tough decisions to make.

(FWIW I thought Fontaine was very good tonight too, and whilst Ambrose had some shaky moments in the first half he went on to have a much better second half).

lucky
25-07-2017, 09:48 PM
Played well but I doubt he's going to play to much this season. Id like to loan him out till January but he has to play and then bring him back and give him some game time in some matches.

Nevi_SOL
25-07-2017, 09:54 PM
a loan to a Dundee United or Dunfermline or something would suit both parties if a loan is what's going to happen. Would love to see him make it here though

Stevie Reid
25-07-2017, 09:55 PM
I still think he'll go out on loan at the end of the window, if everyone in defence is fit. We won't play 352 every week, and we've got McGregor, Ambrose, Hanlon and Fontaine available

Whilst the experience of a loan in the Championship would be good, we lost Fontaine and Hanlon to long term injuries last year. Would rather have him here.

Brightside
25-07-2017, 09:56 PM
We had a thread on him a week or so ago.

Having watched him and a few others of the young development team last season we have a few excellent young players coming through.

Ryan is the next Hanlon and a bonus he is scoring too!

Keep up the good work.

Him and Hanlon together could see us through the next 5/10 years. Two footballing CHs together - the Row Z boys will hate that.

Brightside
25-07-2017, 09:57 PM

For me he is much better than Fontaine. Not as experienced obviously....but so much more about him as a player.

RamYer1902
25-07-2017, 09:59 PM
Porteous is a superb player but let's be honest, the best thing for his development would be a loan to a championship club where he will play competitive football week in, week out but have a recall clause in his contract should we need him back.

KWJ
25-07-2017, 10:02 PM
He made a couple of slack passes but this seemed to shock him into not making mistakes for a long period while still attempting through balls and more high risk/reward passes successfully.

He's a very exciting prospect and seems eager to impress and hold onto his jersey. Fonts must be smelling the stand as he was just good today but the bar has been raised.

Eyrie
25-07-2017, 10:23 PM
First time I've seen Porteous play and he was deservedly man of the match.

Ozyhibby
25-07-2017, 10:35 PM
I think a loan until Jan would be best. He has been outstanding but he needs to be playing every week and that might not happen here.

Brightside
25-07-2017, 10:37 PM
I think a loan until Jan would be best. He has been outstanding but he needs to be playing every week and that might not happen here.

Yeh i kind of agree with that. He needs game time now and he's far to good for the Dev level of football. IF we get an injury we just get him right back into the team.

B.H.F.C
25-07-2017, 10:38 PM
Great prospect. Not been properly tested yet so don't think we should go overboard. However, him and Murray, have a real chance.

kevinc
25-07-2017, 10:39 PM
I believe that a loan that a loan to Dumbarton was discussed some weeks ago and may still happen.

greenlex
25-07-2017, 10:46 PM
With Hanlon liable to break down at any time with his injury and Forster going I can't see Porteous going anywhere.

Brightside
25-07-2017, 10:54 PM
With Hanlon liable to break down at any time with his injury and Forster going I can't see Porteous going anywhere.

I think its a big jump to assume Hanlon will break down. He's had a good break, done plenty work building himself back into shape. He strolled though the game at the weekend and there is nothing to suggest he wont be back playing almost every game like he did in the past. I spoke to him after and he said he felt great just stiff as you would expect. His hip wasnt bothering him.

wookie70
25-07-2017, 10:58 PM
He has been the pick of the centre halves so far imo. It will be interesting if he gets a game or two against the Premiership strikers to see if he can maintain his form.He was excellent against Sunderland so no reason to think he can't maintain the level of performance. A great find and along with Fraser Murray we essentially have a couple of new signings

Hibeewilly
25-07-2017, 10:59 PM
I believe that a loan that a loan to Dumbarton was discussed some weeks ago and may still happen.
Yes thats bang on but they are waiting to see how Hanlon progresses so on hold just now

jacomo
25-07-2017, 11:13 PM
For me he is much better than Fontaine. Not as experienced obviously....but so much more about him as a player.

I think Liam is underrated.

Daz and PH are the established pair, and I agree with that. Efe is great. But Liam is still a good player imo.

Great to see RP take his chance to impress but sounds like he still has a bit to learn (this is not a criticism).

frazeHFC
25-07-2017, 11:17 PM
I think Liam is underrated.

Daz and PH are the established pair, and I agree with that. Efe is great. But Liam is still a good player imo.

Great to see RP take his chance to impress but sounds like he still has a bit to learn (this is not a criticism).

Agree with Fontaine. If he doesn't start many games this season, he's a brilliant player to have as back-up.

Ozyhibby
25-07-2017, 11:19 PM
I don't see Efe not starting, so it's just a case of who fits round him.

Brightside
25-07-2017, 11:27 PM
I don't see Efe not starting, so it's just a case of who fits round him.

I think thats why we will play a 3 most games. 343 is coming at last!! :greengrin

HibsNutter
25-07-2017, 11:36 PM
He is a great prospect and I have been very impressed with him so far. I feel he would still be fifth choice centre back at the moment, but could become a mainstay in our team one day.

Right now, the best thing for him could be a loan to a Championship team. He would get first team football and develop, then start to challenge for a first team place next season.

MWHIBBIES
26-07-2017, 12:23 AM
For me he is much better than Fontaine. Not as experienced obviously....but so much more about him as a player.He is not much better than Fontaine mate, come on. He has played 2 bloody games, Fonts has been a warrior for us for 3 years now. When Ryan puts in a performance like Fonts did in the last derby then I'll believe you.

Stan the Man
26-07-2017, 07:00 AM
I would go with a half season loan, on the basis that:

- Hanlon's recovery goes to plan
- it is to no lower than championship
- there is a release clause

Frogga
26-07-2017, 07:10 AM
How long's his contract?

makaveli1875
26-07-2017, 07:10 AM
I would go with a half season loan, on the basis that:

- Hanlon's recovery goes to plan
- it is to no lower than championship
- there is a release clause

id have to agree with you there , we are well covered at CH just now and he needs to be playing . Id like to see him at a decent championship team like United or St mirren .. if we are short in defence come january bring him back

Brooster
26-07-2017, 07:46 AM
I would keep him and give him game time. I think he is better than Fontaine.

ronaldo7
26-07-2017, 07:59 AM
It's great to see the senior pro's around him, talking him through the games. He got some great advice from, Fonts, Efe, and Gray last night. I saw Fonts gesture to him to take the penalty that he won, but he just shrugged his shoulders and ran back into position.

He'll be delighted with his performance, but he's only starting out. Still got lots to learn. He needs to stay on his feet more imo, but that will come with more coaching.

Looking forward to seeing him in our team for years to come.

Since90+2
26-07-2017, 08:06 AM
For me he is ahead of Hanlon and Fontaine at the moment. Hanlon has not played for 7 months and needs to work his way back into the team and to full fitness to prove he is over his injury , Fonts is decent backup but Porteous should be ahead of him IMO.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
26-07-2017, 08:12 AM
I think he looks a very good prospect, but agree with people guarding against getting carried away. Remembet Jonanthan Baillie?

I think he looks a bit rash in diving in (noticed the ref having a word with him about that against montrose) and 18 is VERY young for a centre half.

And ultimately we haven't seen him defend against anything like the level of player he is gping to have to.

Young players always get overhyped at first, which makes the inevitable drop-off seem worse and has done for a few.

He should be loaned put to a championship team to continue to learn and develop, playing against good seasoned pros will do more for him than playing development games for us - people saying he is ahead of fonts, hanlon etc are jumping the gun a wee bit i think.

Allant1981
26-07-2017, 08:27 AM
For me he is ahead of Hanlon and Fontaine at the moment. Hanlon has not played for 7 months and needs to work his way back into the team and to full fitness to prove he is over his injury , Fonts is decent backup but Porteous should be ahead of him IMO.

sorry but he isnt better than fontaine at the moment and how you can say that after a couple of games is crazy

emerald green
26-07-2017, 09:45 AM
It's another very positive sign of the great work going on at Hibs seeing so many good young players coming through from the development squad.

Brooster
26-07-2017, 09:50 AM
sorry but he isnt better than fontaine at the moment and how you can say that after a couple of games is crazy

What I will say is.... he hit the target more in 90 mins than Fontaine has is 3 seasons.

loveofthegame
26-07-2017, 09:51 AM
How long's his contract?

Signed a new long term deal last season along with Fraser Murray and Oli Shaw. Think they all got four year deals.

Bishop Hibee
26-07-2017, 10:00 AM
Porteous was excellent yesterday but it's a different proposition playing in the top league every week. He was static for the Arbroath goal though he wasn't the only one at fault. Tricky call for Lennon to loan him out or not but realities our 5th choice centre half and Whittaker can play there too at a push. He'll definitely be pushing for a first team place this time next year with McGregor and Fontaine a year older.

Allant1981
26-07-2017, 10:30 AM
What I will say is.... he hit the target more in 90 mins than Fontaine has is 3 seasons.

if he was a striker then id be saying well done but his main job is defending

NAE NOOKIE
26-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Having watched Ryan against Sunderland and Montrose the lad is clearly more Rolls Royce than carthorse that's for sure .... he looks very comfortable on the ball and I've yet to see him just lump it up the park rather than look for a pass.
As for diving in, I didn't see the game last night, but against Montrose he only did that once that I can recall and it was a thumping challenge where he won the ball, I presume he got a word from the ref for the robustness of it, but as a fan I loved watching a young defender not afraid to crunch in when its required :greengrin

For me I still think a loan spell at a decent club like Dunfermline or St Mirren, or a well run club like Dumbarton or Queen of the South would be best for him ... we are well set for good centre halfs and if they are all fit his game time would be limited, he will get far more experience and learn more on loan IMO.

I find it really encouraging just now looking at the number of clearly promising youngsters we have coming through, I cant remember a time since the 'golden generation' where we have had so many at the same time. Porteous, Martin, Murray, Shaw and Crane have all played first team football now and not a single one of them has looked out of place .... I know Oli will in the end be judged on his goals return, but from what I've seen he has the intelligence and good movement required to be a good striker, all he needs is a confidence building first team goal.

Smartie
26-07-2017, 11:32 AM
I like his "jumping in".

Modern defenders do a lot of "jockeying" which looks much to me like dithering around letting players run past them.

Sometimes he'll get it wrong, but one of the strengths of the 3 at the back is that if he plays on the right then there should be someone around to bail him out if he gets caught.

Famous Fiver
26-07-2017, 11:40 AM
On last night's showing Porteous is a first pick.

Interesting selection dilemmas ahead!

lord bunberry
26-07-2017, 11:48 AM
The thing he needs now is to be playing every week and getting the experience of playing against big physical centre forwards. If he isn't going to be in our team every week, then he should go out on loan to a championship team. There's no point in him sitting on the bench here and I don't think going on loan to a club below the championship will help his development.

TonyStokeprano
26-07-2017, 12:02 PM

Didnt realise he scored 5 last night, i only seen two ???

AlbertK86
26-07-2017, 12:07 PM

Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

HibernianJK
26-07-2017, 12:34 PM

That's a very hasty assessment on a player who has played what, 3 games for us? Fontaine has been a very solid CH for 3 seasons now and think you might be doing him a bit of a disservice.

The potential might be there and I hope he goes on to have a great Hibs career, but a bit of a quick judgement IMO.

B.H.F.C
26-07-2017, 12:40 PM
On last night's showing Porteous is a first pick.

Interesting selection dilemmas ahead!

I'm not so sure. Great prospect but he hasn't played a competitive game against decent opposition yet. I think he's still at the back of the queue in terms of our centre halves.

Smartie
26-07-2017, 01:00 PM
That's a very hasty assessment on a player who has played what, 3 games for us? Fontaine has been a very solid CH for 3 seasons now and think you might be doing him a bit of a disservice.

The potential might be there and I hope he goes on to have a great Hibs career, but a bit of a quick judgement IMO.

Fontaine had another solid game himself.

He's been an excellent player for us.

Scouse Hibee
26-07-2017, 01:06 PM
If he turns out to be as good a player as Fontaine has been for us in a couple of years then he will be an asset. Plenty of time for him to improve and gain experience which may well see him become a regular in the future. He's a decent player but not ready to displace anyone just yet.

KWJ
26-07-2017, 01:11 PM
I think he looks a very good prospect, but agree with people guarding against getting carried away. Remembet Jonanthan Baillie?

I think he looks a bit rash in diving in (noticed the ref having a word with him about that against montrose) and 18 is VERY young for a centre half.

And ultimately we haven't seen him defend against anything like the level of player he is gping to have to.

Young players always get overhyped at first, which makes the inevitable drop-off seem worse and has done for a few.

He should be loaned put to a championship team to continue to learn and develop, playing against good seasoned pros will do more for him than playing development games for us - people saying he is ahead of fonts, hanlon etc are jumping the gun a wee bit i think.

Baillie suffered from injuries, not lack of ability. Same as Mark Dempsie.

The best player to compare him to I reckon would be Jordan Forster. Both are big at a young age and showing great early promise as defenders while also being more than useful in attack.

Even if he ends up having the same Hibs career as JF did then that's not bad at all from an academy player but the potential is there for him to do much, much better.

KWJ
26-07-2017, 01:13 PM
If he's going to play then keep him, if he's going to be on the bench then probably best to loan him out for experience and have Fonts on the bench.

On his early season form I wouldn't be surprised to see a decent club, even lower prem want him.

#persevered
26-07-2017, 01:24 PM
Baillie suffered from injuries, not lack of ability. Same as Mark Dempsie.

The best player to compare him to I reckon would be Jordan Forster. Both are big at a young age and showing great early promise as defenders while also being more than useful in attack.

Even if he ends up having the same Hibs career as JF did then that's not bad at all from an academy player but the potential is there for him to do much, much better.

He's much more comfortable on the ball than JF. I think he could go all the way. He will need games to do that though and it's whether Lennon will play him with Daz, Efe, Hanlon anf Fonts in there too. I personally would rather have him as injuries etc got us last year and he's certainly capable.