PDA

View Full Version : Videoton

DickieDastardly
24-07-2017, 07:42 PM
Heading off to Hungary tomorrow for the family holiday, 6 nights in Budapest (for the F1 GP), then train down to Balatonfured for 6 nights. The train passes through Szekerferehvar were I was lucky enough to see Hibs beat Videoton 3 nil in 1989, time and transport permitting I'm planning a nostalgic visit back for a look round and a few photos, looking at internet images it doesn't appear to have changed much.
:flag:

Ringothedog
24-07-2017, 07:54 PM
Heading off to Hungary tomorrow for the family holiday, 6 nights in Budapest (for the F1 GP), then train down to Balatonfured for 6 nights. The train passes through Szekerferehvar were I was lucky enough to see Hibs beat Videoton 3 nil in 1989, time and transport permitting I'm planning a nostalgic visit back for a look round and a few photos, looking at internet images it doesn't appear to have changed much.
Absolutely fantastic trip by supporters bus, great night in Vienna and brilliant night at the game. Only bad bit was getting toothache on the way back.

OxoHibby
24-07-2017, 08:02 PM

I gave never seen a rebound of the bar like Brian Hamilton against them. Came back about 40 yards

Borderhibbie76
24-07-2017, 08:25 PM
I was a ballboy at ER the night of the home leg...we won 1 nil with a Graham Mitchell looping header (if memory serves me right) ??

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Gmack7
24-07-2017, 08:32 PM
Best away trip I've ever been on by some distance

Speedway
24-07-2017, 08:33 PM
I was a ballboy at ER the night of the home leg...we won 1 nil with a Graham Mitchell looping header (if memory serves me right) ??

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

We certainly did.

Is It On....
24-07-2017, 08:35 PM

Manager of the Centre Court at Craiglockhart, Stevie ??, went and told us all about it!! I was on £70 per week at the time and couldn't afford it!!

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-07-2017, 08:45 PM
My favourite away game.

ruthven_raiders
24-07-2017, 08:54 PM
Manager of the Centre Court at Craiglockhart, Stevie ??, went and told us all about it!! I was on £70 per week at the time and couldn't afford it!!

Centre Court is no more 😳

jeffers
24-07-2017, 09:06 PM
Great trip and lots of memories. My favourite is when we got to the Hungarian border and two guards got on our coach. A guy known as Big Crawf went up to one of them and took his gun out of the holster. The guard was laughing as Big Crawf waved it about, until he realised he was trying to fire it. We were hiding under the seats til they managed to get it off him.

Is It On....
24-07-2017, 09:06 PM
Centre Court is no more 😳

I know...been out of business for about a year. Formative years spent (late 80s onwards) when they initially had The Clash, Skids, etc on the Duke box. More than one "merry" Christmas Eve was spent there 🙂

Platinum Scotty
24-07-2017, 09:08 PM

You will love Budapest- absolutely awesome place. Lucky enough to have been there many times. Avoid the main bars and try the side street ones, cheaper by a long way and far more enjoyable - if you get time take the chair lift to the top of the Buda hills - superb view

Enjoy

Halmyre Hibee
24-07-2017, 11:29 PM
Great trip and lots of memories. My favourite is when we got to the Hungarian border and two guards got on our coach. A guy known as Big Crawf went up to one of them and took his gun out of the holster. The guard was laughing as Big Crawf waved it about, until he realised he was trying to fire it. We were hiding under the seats til they managed to get it off him.

I was on that bus. Some boy Big Crawf. We stayed at Hotel Touring (Agard). He dived into the lake behind the hotel and belly flopped as it was only a foot or so deep. I'm sure he actually missed the game. Went to Budapest in a Lada taxi. Big Crawf had a red T shirt on with CCCP on it. He also stuck his finger into the police officers machine gun in Vienna airport on the way back calling them Nazi collaborators.

scm70nyd1973
25-07-2017, 12:38 AM
Epic trip for me that was - met a dude at Gatwick Airport who suggested that we should stay at the hotel in Szekesfehervar after the game - so booked in - walked into the downstairs bar/function area where all the players and officials were - had a mental night with a few other Glasgow Hibbys - paid by visa and sill waiting for the huge bar bill to come thru - a Carlsberg Euro trip that was for sure !

scm70nyd1973
25-07-2017, 12:41 AM
By the way - picture to left is me, Fiery Jack and Pete at the game after we went 3 - 0 up !

jodjam
25-07-2017, 05:49 AM
Amazing trip. Before last May was my favourite ever game. Was speaking to Gordon Hunter about the game recently. Hopefully get another night like it soon

wallpaperman
25-07-2017, 05:57 AM
I was on that bus. Some boy Big Crawf. We stayed at Hotel Touring (Agard). He dived into the lake behind the hotel and belly flopped as it was only a foot or so deep. I'm sure he actually missed the game. Went to Budapest in a Lada taxi. Big Crawf had a red T shirt on with CCCP on it. He also stuck his finger into the police officers machine gun in Vienna airport on the way back calling them Nazi collaborators.

I was on the Carlton Hibs bus and for years have been wondering what the hotel complex place we stayed at was called. Think there were a couple of buses staying there, the rooms we were in were kind of like little cottages rather than a traditional high rise hotel, any chance this was the same place you stayed at?

There was a outside bar that sold dirt cheap beer and bottle of cheap Eastern European 'champagne'.

jeffers
25-07-2017, 06:17 AM

Yes he did miss the game. They left him locked in his room, then realised there was a bottle of vodka in the room with him ! I think he worked on the rigs, so had some money, sure he bought a camera in duty free and had lost it by the time he left the airport.

That was some hotel, I remember the beer they were selling was out of date, but them telling us it was OK as it wasn't out of date by too long !

Halmyre Hibee
25-07-2017, 07:12 AM
I was on the Carlton Hibs bus and for years have been wondering what the hotel complex place we stayed at was called. Think there were a couple of buses staying there, the rooms we were in were kind of like little cottages rather than a traditional high rise hotel, any chance this was the same place you stayed at?

There was a outside bar that sold dirt cheap beer and bottle of cheap Eastern European 'champagne'.

Sounds like it. Google images have some great photos. Still looks the same.

Halmyre Hibee
25-07-2017, 07:27 AM
Yes he did miss the game. They left him locked in his room, then realised there was a bottle of vodka in the room with him ! I think he worked on the rigs, so had some money, sure he bought a camera in duty free and had lost it by the time he left the airport.

That was some hotel, I remember the beer they were selling was out of date, but them telling us it was OK as it wasn't out of date by too long !

Hotel Touring had a big deep fridge of bottled lager which was dead cheap. They were all the same price but had either gold, silver or bronze labels on them which indicated the ABV strength so the secret was to pick the gold ones. They ran out and had to restock. After the game there was one big party and we got a wee chef called Laszlo drunk. He said I buy you our national drink some sort of cheap schnapps (paint stripper) which burnt my insides and made me sick. We asked him what he wanted and he replied Crawford 5 star. A wee conman but good fun. I believe big Crawf is no longer with us according to one of my mates. In Budapest we where approached by a prostitute (I still get slagged off about this as I thought she was selling timeshare) and big Crawf asked how much...her reply was too much for you as he was melted at the time.

Roxyhibee
25-07-2017, 07:45 AM
Great stories. Very jealous - I was stuck listening to it on some AM station with the late David Franceys brilliant commentary. He was really going ape ***** when the third goal went in.

Any highlights on the go.?

supershotmo
25-07-2017, 07:51 AM
Just checked the line ups for the game and came across László Csaba, ex Hearts manager.

southsider
25-07-2017, 08:04 AM
Great stories. Very jealous - I was stuck listening to it on some AM station with the late David Franceys brilliant commentary. He was really going ape ***** when the third goal went in.

Didn't some joker buy a full police uniform (including holster and cap) from a cop. Put it on at the airport, pulled the cap over his eyes and tried to arrest his pal. It was madness but great fun.

Fanforlife
25-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Hotel Touring had a big deep fridge of bottled lager which was dead cheap. They were all the same price but had either gold, silver or bronze labels on them which indicated the ABV strength so the secret was to pick the gold ones. They ran out and had to restock. After the game there was one big party and we got a wee chef called Laszlo drunk. He said I buy you our national drink some sort of cheap schnapps (paint stripper) which burnt my insides and made me sick. We asked him what he wanted and he replied Crawford 5 star. A wee conman but good fun. I believe big Crawf is no longer with us according to one of my mates. In Budapest we where approached by a prostitute (I still get slagged off about this as I thought she was selling timeshare) and big Crawf asked how much...her reply was too much for you as he was melted at the time.your correct in regards to Crawf,died a few years ago .Was some guy,Hibs daft along with being pure daft,certainly liked a small libation in which i shared many a time.💚💚💚💚💚💚💚

Halmyre Hibee
25-07-2017, 10:18 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlWVVXnnmPY

Roxyhibee
25-07-2017, 10:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlWVVXnnmPY

Great stuff. Cheers.

jeffers
25-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Hotel Touring had a big deep fridge of bottled lager which was dead cheap. They were all the same price but had either gold, silver or bronze labels on them which indicated the ABV strength so the secret was to pick the gold ones. They ran out and had to restock. After the game there was one big party and we got a wee chef called Laszlo drunk. He said I buy you our national drink some sort of cheap schnapps (paint stripper) which burnt my insides and made me sick. We asked him what he wanted and he replied Crawford 5 star. A wee conman but good fun. I believe big Crawf is no longer with us according to one of my mates. In Budapest we where approached by a prostitute (I still get slagged off about this as I thought she was selling timeshare) and big Crawf asked how much...her reply was too much for you as he was melted at the time.

Now you tell me about that fridge ! Where were you all those years ago 😉
Sorry to hear about Big Crawf he was some character.

DickieDastardly
25-07-2017, 01:15 PM
I also was on the bus big Crawf was on and remember the pistol incident like it was yesterday, somebody also took a Donald Trump in a bucket at the back of the bus. I've got two batches of polaroids from the trip and in one of them is a photo of Crawf being helped from the lake post belly flop. Also a good one of the scoreboard reading 0-3. Pity photos can't be added on here (or I don't think they can).

Flanny boy
25-07-2017, 03:56 PM
That was some trip (what I remember).I was on one of the buses from the hibs club.I remember the goolash song like it was yesterday.My liver was almost back to normal then we were of to Liege.lol.GGTTH

Halmyre Hibee
25-07-2017, 05:00 PM
I also was on the bus big Crawf was on and remember the pistol incident like it was yesterday, somebody also took a Donald Trump in a bucket at the back of the bus. I've got two batches of polaroids from the trip and in one of them is a photo of Crawf being helped from the lake post belly flop. Also a good one of the scoreboard reading 0-3. Pity photos can't be added on here (or I don't think they can).

Would be great if you could scan them and put them on Facebook or some photo sharing site. I was 29 then now 57 so would be great to see. My mate took photos but forgot to put spool in camera. Pre digital.

Halmyre Hibee
25-07-2017, 05:02 PM
That was some trip (what I remember).I was on one of the buses from the hibs club.I remember the goolash song like it was yesterday.My liver was almost back to normal then we were of to Liege.lol.GGTTH

We bought goulash in the forest or woods and the guy with the big pot of it thought it was Christmas as all the Hibbies scoffed the lot.

Keith_M
25-07-2017, 05:25 PM
If you're going to Budapest, I'd recommend changing your money before you leave. There's a lot of forged notes in circulation, even from what seems like legitimate Exchanges.

Oh and definitely don't accept any 'special exchange rates' from the Taxi Drivers.

SunnyLeither
25-07-2017, 05:31 PM

I've still got the room key for that hotel 😂😂

Gmack7
25-07-2017, 05:32 PM
We bought goulash in the forest or woods and the guy with the big pot of it thought it was Christmas as all the Hibbies scoffed the lot.

That may have been the same place we were in,we were all drinking the local vodka which was approx £1 per bottle, we felt like millionaires even the locals were all steaming

DickieDastardly
25-07-2017, 08:17 PM
Would be great if you could scan them and put them on Facebook or some photo sharing site. I was 29 then now 57 so would be great to see. My mate took photos but forgot to put spool in camera. Pre digital.
Would be happy to do that but not sure how, I'm not much of an IT techi...

Glory Lurker
25-07-2017, 08:25 PM
I'm not sure that it's just coincidence that the Warsaw Pact crumbled only a few weeks later.

Jamesie
25-07-2017, 08:28 PM
These stories make me wish I had been older than 8 at the time of this game so that I could have made the away leg! Still remember Graham Mitchell's goal in the home leg like it was yesterday though. Closest I've come to a trip like this was Belarus v Scotland in 2005 from what I am reading!

IberianHibernian
25-07-2017, 09:44 PM
I was only at the home match but was in Victoria Station in London before away match and remember seeing Hibs fans and Aberdeen fans ( playing in Austria I think ) waiting for trains to ferries on coast . In those days trips were real adventures ( almost noone has mentioned match despite great result but lots of memories of trip by bus , train and ferry ) . Same trip now would probably be 3 hour flight and an hour on a bus , all forgotten after a month or two let alone be talked about 28 years later .

Halmyre Hibee
25-07-2017, 10:56 PM
Would be happy to do that but not sure how, I'm not much of an IT techi...

Neither am I mate. Any young techi guys got any ideas?