PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine On Leith

Eaststand
22-07-2017, 10:53 PM
Take a bow Deacon Blue for finishing their superb concert on the castle esplanade tonight with a brilliant rendition of SOL - absolutely magic

GGTTH

ieastherein1973
22-07-2017, 11:03 PM
Just back what a great nod to Edinburgh, so funny to see jambos rushing to leave during the encore, could help myself and shouted out mon the hibees, bloke in front of me turned round and shook my hand GGTTH

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
22-07-2017, 11:47 PM
Was brilliant an unexpected ending to a brilliant night...despite the [emoji90] weather

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

18Hibee75
23-07-2017, 12:05 AM
Leith boys

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

hibbydog
23-07-2017, 07:29 AM
Hmmmm......

Wasn't at the gig but found myself getting a little annoyed that deacon blue covered sunshine on leith.

It is not their song. And Ricky ross is an enormous bell end.

Every tom Dick and Harry thinking they can have a go at this song tends to cheapen it slightly.

hibbysam
23-07-2017, 07:51 AM
Hmmmm......

Wasn't at the gig but found myself getting a little annoyed that deacon blue covered sunshine on leith.

Every tom Dick and Harry thinking they can have a go at this song tends to cheapen it slightly.

Away... does everyone singing don't look back in anger in Manchester cheapen that? Everyone still knows the history no why it's being sung.

23-07-2017, 07:53 AM
Brilliant ending to an amazing show and a quality band. Don't see the problem with SOL being covered by others. Get the Proclaimers to the Castle next year. GGTTH

CropleyWasGod
23-07-2017, 08:05 AM
Hmmmm......

Every tom Dick and Harry thinking they can have a go at this song tends to cheapen it slightly.The Proclaimers have covered songs by other people plenty times. It's a compliment.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Baw187
23-07-2017, 09:29 AM
That's brilliant. Wasn't at the concert but do like Deacon Blue. Wish I'd seen that.

jacomo
23-07-2017, 10:02 AM
Hmmmm......

Have you ever been to any gig?

Singing cover versions is a pretty well established part of live music no?

spudhib
23-07-2017, 10:16 AM
They were the first band I heard cover it and that was a good few years ago.

keep the faith
23-07-2017, 10:21 AM
Hmmmm......

I'm with you there. Deacon blue irritate the life out of me and them singing SOL is exactly the sort of over earnest gallery playing move you would expect Ross to make in playing edinburgh.
Appreciate loads are deacon blue fans though so hope all that went had a good night 😁

grunt
23-07-2017, 10:30 AM
Get the Proclaimers to the Castle next year. GGTTHDone that.

https://youtu.be/BSthYCt_9Gc

bod
23-07-2017, 10:37 AM
Hmmmm......

& did they cheapen it ever so slightly ?

Colr
23-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Hmmmm......

I wonder if that dreadful woman in the group was howling her random maniacal screecked throughout the song as if she was having some kind of epiphany!

Moulin Yarns
23-07-2017, 12:33 PM
Not from Edinburgh Castle (because it would be drowned out by the guys who think they can sing) but a few years ago at Celtic Connections

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUYwy-m0kyg

Roxyhibee
23-07-2017, 01:30 PM
I reckon it must really stick in the craw of Celtic fans that they couldn't somehow get their sticky paws on SOL.

Even with their shameless brass necked rewriting of history to make all things beautiful apparently part of their fabricated club, that word LEITH completely buries their PR thieving department before they even start. Thank Fk.

If Leith was written as 'us' or something, it wouldn't matter if The Proclaimers had had the song promo done at Easter Road with them in their Hibs scarves, it would be hijacked and being sung before, during and after every Celtic game, with Buckfast induced tears..

Greatest love song ever. And it's exclusively ours.

NAE NOOKIE
23-07-2017, 02:50 PM
Just so long as they did a good job of it .... I've seen some covers where the band / singer should have been taken out and beaten to death immediately afterwards :greengrin

jacomo
23-07-2017, 08:52 PM
Just so long as they did a good job of it .... I've seen some covers where the band / singer should have been taken out and beaten to death immediately afterwards :greengrin

Duran Duran's cover of Lou Reed's Perfect World is the absolute nadir for me.

Billy Whizz
23-07-2017, 09:05 PM
Heard that the main man from Danny Wilson made an appearance at the gig at the Castle, what a beautiful voice he has, forget his name

ColinNish
23-07-2017, 09:09 PM
Heard that the main man from Danny Wilson made an appearance at the gig at the Castle, what a beautiful voice he has, forget his name

His name's Danny Wilson :greengrin.

Just kidding, its Kit Clarke

hibbydog
23-07-2017, 09:18 PM
Have you ever been to any gig?

Singing cover versions is a pretty well established part of live music no?

I'm not saying covers aren't allowed. I'm just annoyed that a pretentious twit like Ricky ross has used our song.

macca70
23-07-2017, 09:31 PM
Take a bow Deacon Blue for finishing their superb concert on the castle esplanade tonight with a brilliant rendition of SOL - absolutely magic

GGTTH

Need to copy link below and paste as can't seem to just click on it

https://youtu.be/HS0vpHe6ntc

Roxyhibee
23-07-2017, 10:03 PM
His name's Danny Wilson :greengrin.

Just kidding, its Kit Clarke

If it was the main man of the old Danny Wilson with the amazing vocals, it'll have been Gary Clark.

Kit was his brother in the band - did some vocals, keys, writing.

MKHIBEE
23-07-2017, 10:16 PM

Will Young singing Light my Fire and Lulu singing Mr Tambourine Man are 2 that immediately spring to mind as contenders for worst cover song

Roxyhibee
23-07-2017, 10:29 PM

Perfect Day maybe.?

Peter Noone skipping about with his Hermans Hermits singing Oh You Pretty Things, completely oblivious to Bowies lyrical sentiments..

Dashing Bob S
23-07-2017, 10:34 PM
No. **** Deacon Blue and every other outsider who tries to eulogize us for their own pathetic ends. We're Hibs, not Celtic.

mjhibby
24-07-2017, 07:33 AM
No problem with guys singing the song as it has become such a tradition at bidlg game wins that many non hibs fans mow love the song. It was even mentioned as the best football song in the telegraph so it has resonated in a lot of unexpected places.

mjhibby
24-07-2017, 07:44 AM
Don't get this dissing of Ricky ross. Deacon blue are one of the best ever Scottish bands and were fabulous in concert when I saw them at party at the palace. Loaded is one of my all time favourite tunes.

bigwheel
24-07-2017, 08:01 AM
some of the comments on here , about "our song" etc are frankly a bit ridiculous no? Are we now precious of who does covers of it? Wow, what is that all about?

Paisley Hibby
24-07-2017, 08:31 AM
Will Young singing Light my Fire and Lulu singing Mr Tambourine Man are 2 that immediately spring to mind as contenders for worst cover song

Prize for worst cover ever has to be Stairway to Heaven by Rolf Harris.

heretoday
24-07-2017, 08:59 AM
Ricky Ross is from Tehsehde. Whehts heh dehn singin eh Hehbee song?

Bishop Hibee
24-07-2017, 09:16 AM
I'm not really a fan but a good choice of cover. Ricky Ross comes across as a decent bloke whenever I've heard him speak.

Worst cover version I've heard is Shania Twain doing AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long." Appalling.

Frazerbob
24-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Ricky Ross is from Tehsehde. Whehts heh dehn singin eh Hehbee song?

He's a Dundee Utd fan (not sure if he ever goes though) but SOL is first and foremost a great Proclaimers song. Not everyone sees it as a Hibs or football song.

Davy Mac
24-07-2017, 10:09 AM
I have no issue with at all, Hibs were formed to give and share with the needy so we're just spreading our love to everyone. It's a great heartfelt, emotional and sense of belonging song and we should be proud it reflects our wonderful club. And not bigoted either.

BigT-Hibeez
24-07-2017, 10:41 AM
I thought Hibby's had guid taste.. Deacon Blue FFS!!!

The most blandest, sickening, dad-pop ever made...!!!

Shame on you all..!!!

Must admit, would have been funny tae be there at the end, just to play spot the Jambo during SOL..

Eaststand
24-07-2017, 11:17 AM
I thought Hibby's had guid taste.. Deacon Blue FFS!!!

The most blandest, sickening, dad-pop ever made...!!!

Shame on you all..!!!

Must admit, would have been funny tae be there at the end, just to play spot the Jambo during SOL..

Ricky Ross said that as they were playing the Castle, they were going to sing SOL as a song for Edinburgh. Cue lots of very happy Hibbies :-) The Spanish couple standing next to me and the missus lapped up the song, especially with the crowd joining in.

GGTTH

HFCdeb
24-07-2017, 11:26 AM
I watched the Hibernian Reborn DVD yesterday and was cringing at the girl singing it at the beginning of it. It's such a naff style and it's been done to death.
Nearly every advert on the tv has some crappy cover of amazing songs done in that style. Dreams by the Cranberries, Praise You by Fat Boy Slim, Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word by Elton John.
Actual bands covering at live gigs? Fine by me but unless you can harmonise like Craig and Charlie you'll never do it justice.

lord bunberry
24-07-2017, 12:12 PM
Ricky Ross said that as they were playing the Castle, they were going to sing SOL as a song for Edinburgh. Cue lots of very happy Hibbies :-) The Spanish couple standing next to me and the missus lapped up the song, especially with the crowd joining in.

GGTTH
It's not really a song for Edinburgh though. They must know that there's going to be a sizeable amount of people in the crowd who aren't going to want to hear that song. Personally I couldn't care less if hearts fans don't want to hear it, but no one is paying to come and hear me sing.

CropleyWasGod
24-07-2017, 01:42 PM
I watched the Hibernian Reborn DVD yesterday and was cringing at the girl singing it at the beginning of it. It's such a naff style and it's been done to death.
Nearly every advert on the tv has some crappy cover of amazing songs done in that style. Dreams by the Cranberries, Praise You by Fat Boy Slim, Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word by Elton John.
Actual bands covering at live gigs? Fine by me but unless you can harmonise like Craig and Charlie you'll never do it justice.

.. which is a cover :greengrin

HFCdeb
24-07-2017, 04:41 PM
.. which is a cover :greengrin

Is it not just a sample? Which is different to a cover version, in my opinion ;)

Mick O'Rourke
24-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Was there not a song titled "when will i be "famous"?
That may have suited the jambos that night.
For future concerts at the Esplanade,jambos can watch for free

Splendid view from the top of the Greenhouse ,if you stand on yer pals shoulders.

Best cover for me

Joe Cocker singing The Beatles classic "I get by with a little help from my friends"
Outstanding rendition from an outsanding performer