PDA

View Full Version : Lennon and Sutton

SouthMoroccoStu
22-07-2017, 08:07 AM
I wish Neil would stop speaking to Chris Sutton about hibs matters

Sutton seems unable to keep information discussed private

I can't imagine Neil would be too happy with this idiot revealing our transfer dealings on national tv

SRHibs
22-07-2017, 08:10 AM
He probably only tells him what he's comfortable being public. Lennon didn't seem to mind talking about Bob himself in the post-match interview.

WhileTheChief..
22-07-2017, 08:12 AM
They're good mates, Lennon also named the guy himself.

We complain when we hear nothing so I'm pretty glad when we finally hear a decent rumour that isn't just a random punt from someone on here.

Keep it up Sutton :greengrin

Zazu62
22-07-2017, 08:13 AM
Unless the deal is already done

Libby Hibby
22-07-2017, 08:14 AM
It does strike me as double standards. He has a pop at the club during the week for not being able to keep things quiet yet, on his terms, it's ok to openly discuss targets and names them live on telly.

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-07-2017, 08:28 AM
What happens if he doesn't sign now and it is because making this public has alerted other clubs?

ruthven_raiders
22-07-2017, 08:31 AM
What happens if he doesn't sign now and it is because making this public has alerted other clubs?

Can only assume Sutton asked Lennon if it was OK to mention new guy's name, assuming it must be a done deal and probably a loan for the season.

ian cruise
22-07-2017, 08:33 AM
Was a bit annoyed about how the BT pundits were speaking to Neil as if he was their mate in the pub. That said if he wasn't comfortable I'm sure he wouldn't have answered. I do like how honest but realistic Neil is, such as when he was asked about McGinn, and said 4 or 5 million. If he'd said 15 million we all know that's not going to happen but 4 or 5, we couldn't turn that down but now clubs know unless they want to start talking those sorts of figures, not 5o waste our time. Means McGinn isn't getting told clubs are coming in and getting knocked back, potentially frustrating him. And turning his head.

Leith Green
22-07-2017, 08:41 AM
I wondered wether it was a smoke screen for something else happening behind the scenes, possibly a diversion ..

neil7908
22-07-2017, 08:49 AM
Overall I'm delighted with Lennon as our manager but like anyone there are pluses and minuses.

His experience and contacts in the game have undoubtedly helped us recruit quality players like Marciano, Ambrose and (hopefully) Stokes. His close relationship to folk like Sutton and Hartson can be a bit grating but it's a very small price worth paying.

Similarly his confidence is great, it's nice having a proven winner who sets high standards but equally he made some pretty bold remarks about us last season being the second best in the country. If we end up mid table or worse, unlikely as that is, he and the club will look really daft.

I guess my point is Lennon is by no means perfect but I've really warmed to him since he joined us and have as much faith as you can that he's the right manager for us.

Libby Hibby
22-07-2017, 08:57 AM
It does strike me as double standards. He has a pop at the club during the week for not being able to keep things quiet yet, on his terms, it's ok to openly discuss targets and names them live on telly.

SMAXXA
22-07-2017, 09:06 AM

Where did he have a pop at the club I must have missed that got any links?

SMAXXA
22-07-2017, 09:07 AM
Overall I'm delighted with Lennon as our manager but like anyone there are pluses and minuses.

His experience and contacts in the game have undoubtedly helped us recruit quality players like Marciano, Ambrose and (hopefully) Stokes. His close relationship to folk like Sutton and Hartson can be a bit grating but it's a very small price worth paying.

Similarly his confidence is great, it's nice having a proven winner who sets high standards but equally he made some pretty bold remarks about us last season being the second best in the country. If we end up mid table or worse, unlikely as that is, he and the club will look really daft.

I guess my point is Lennon is by no means perfect but I've really warmed to him since he joined us and have as much faith as you can that he's the right manager for us.

No necessarily it's a new team this season so maybe last seasons team was we will never know lol 😉

bingo70
22-07-2017, 09:08 AM

Was in his friday press conference he made a comment that "it was difficult to keep transfers quiet at this club"

Was on the stv news, felt the wording of it was a but strange.

BoomtownHibees
22-07-2017, 09:09 AM
Was in his friday press conference he made a comment that "it was difficult to keep transfers quiet at this club"

Was on the stv news, felt the wording of it was a but strange.

He's obviously no happy at stories being leaked from somewhere within the club

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-07-2017, 09:12 AM
He's obviously no happy at stories being leaked from somewhere within the club

Unless it is him?

Big_Franck
22-07-2017, 09:12 AM

He was speaking about Deivy signing and said "we've managed to keep this one quiet, which is a bit difficult at this club". Thought it was unnecessary and a bit snidey to be honest.

Hibbyradge
22-07-2017, 09:14 AM

Some things need to be done discreetly. Others not so much.

Although I hoover up as much itk stuff and gossip as anyone else, I actually prefer when signings are announced out of the blue.

If Stokes signs, I'll be delighted, but imagine if it happened without the rumours.

Heisenberg
22-07-2017, 09:14 AM
He was speaking about Deivy signing and said "we've managed to keep this one quiet, which is a bit difficult at this club". Thought it was unnecessary and a bit snidey to be honest.

Not surprised he's unhappy about transfers leaking out if it has a detrimental effect on us getting the players in the door.

matty_f
22-07-2017, 09:15 AM
I don't see it as double standards, there will be a point at which those involved in signings will be comfortable with it being common knowledge, but prior to that point confidentiality is required.

Knowing when it's OK to discuss signings is the difference between what Lennon said about signings, and what Lennon commented on about keeping things quiet.

BoomtownHibees
22-07-2017, 09:17 AM
Unless it is him?

Would seem a bit strange saying "we've managed to keep this one quiet, which is a bit difficult at this club" if it was him doing the leaking

Hibbyradge
22-07-2017, 09:17 AM

If people who should know better are leaking confidential information to the detriment of the club, they deserve criticism, whether direct or indirect.

We reportedly lost a player because of leaks, so it's perfectly understandable that Lennon might refer to it, imo.

Danderhall Hibs
22-07-2017, 09:22 AM
I don't see it as double standards, there will be a point at which those involved in signings will be comfortable with it being common knowledge, but prior to that point confidentiality is required.

Knowing when it's OK to discuss signings is the difference between what Lennon said about signings, and what Lennon commented on about keeping things quiet.

:agree: I'm sure a previous manager (maybe JC) mentioned the leaks as well. I wonder if there's a long term member of staff that can't keep his mouth shut?

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-07-2017, 10:29 AM
I would be more than happy if Lennon's standard answer to any question about transfer targets or contracts was always that he leaves that to Leanne . End of. She has sorted everything else that has held us back on the pitch so if this is another one she is best placed to fix it.

Deansy
22-07-2017, 11:16 AM
Was a bit annoyed about how the BT pundits were speaking to Neil as if he was their mate in the pub. That said if he wasn't comfortable I'm sure he wouldn't have answered. I do like how honest but realistic Neil is, such as when he was asked about McGinn, and said 4 or 5 million. If he'd said 15 million we all know that's not going to happen but 4 or 5, we couldn't turn that down but now clubs know unless they want to start talking those sorts of figures, not 5o waste our time. Means McGinn isn't getting told clubs are coming in and getting knocked back, potentially frustrating him. And turning his head.

Yeah, the pundits seem to have a completely diferent attitude when interviewing Lennon now he's our manager - gone is the fawning, the 'tugging of the forelocks' etc, etc and in is a, at times, an interview-style that borders on complete disrespect !

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
22-07-2017, 11:21 AM

Just a guess - but our head of comms' brother does seem to get a lot of info about our tansfer dealings - i wonder if that is what he is alluding to?

Big L
22-07-2017, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=SRH;5110570]He probably only tells him what he's comfortable being public. Lennon didn't seem to mind talking about Bob himself in the post-match

Bob who ?

Johnny Clash
22-07-2017, 11:27 AM
I think players' agents make it their business to alert all clubs of the availability of their guys who are seeking a move. That way they get leverage and try start a bidding war. I'm not sure how true the notion is that players talk to Hibs in strict secrecy and all of a sudden our manager and a tv commentator have blown our cover.

Brightside
22-07-2017, 11:27 AM
Just a guess - but our head of comms' brother does seem to get a lot of info about our tansfer dealings - i wonder if that is what he is alluding to?

Kenny doesnt get his info from Colin.

Heisenberg
22-07-2017, 11:30 AM

Doubt it. Colin wouldn't be in his job if he was guilty of feeding his journo brother info. Hibs will trust him. He will only give out information on the say so of the club.

Allant1981
22-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Kenny doesnt get his info from Colin.

he wouldnt say even if he did though would he

Brightside
22-07-2017, 11:33 AM

I can assure you he doesnt... for staters Colin knows almost nothing about the playing side of the club. Colin gets his info from the Private Member board on .NET. :greengrin

Kenny gets his info from TheCat. :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
22-07-2017, 11:36 AM

:agree: a journalist can't confirm or deny his source(s).

bigwheel
22-07-2017, 11:38 AM

Kenny has been a sports journo for a while - he will have a wide range of contacts - decent writer too - hope he moves away from that horrible paper soon

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
22-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Doubt it. Colin wouldn't be in his job if he was guilty of feeding his journo brother info. Hibs will trust him. He will only give out information on the say so of the club.

Not really - part of the job is to cultivate journos with info, in effevt doing them favours and storing them up for the future.

But if people that know better than me ade saying that is not the case, then i habe no reason to doubt it.

eastcoasthibby
22-07-2017, 12:13 PM

I dont think its snidey !! Its obviously what he feels and has seen, I can see why it would be frustrating for him, if he has been looking at someone and it gets out that we are it means the player is deemed at standard and available, so other teams can the. Consider any interest.
I suppose the question is, why do we need to know who we are targetting,? I am as bad as most in getting frustrated with What seems like of activity, but I realise they are working away in the background and think its only right that its kept quiet until the deals are done.

KeithTheHibby
22-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Who exactly is Bob???

Hibbyradge
22-07-2017, 12:53 PM
Who exactly is Bob???

Ask Neil Lennon.

Stevie Reid
22-07-2017, 12:57 PM
Personally was very happy to find out about an imminent signing just before the game last night.

As for Lennon being liked by the media, can't really see the problem there.

The Falcon
22-07-2017, 12:58 PM

I think its difficult at most clubs to be fair. The players agent often puts it out there to try and guage further interest or to get those that might be interested to speed things up. Its the nature of things whether your name is Bob, Dave or Alvaro Morata