PDA

View Full Version : Penalties.

Mango Man
21-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Exactly a year ago we lost on penalties to Brondby, tonight, we lose to County, this better not be a common theme, we used to have a great record in shoot outs, I don't like this feeling :)

LaMotta
21-07-2017, 10:27 PM
Here's my theory on penalties.

First penalty taker should put straight down the middle because keeper always dives first penalty.

If picking a corner, right footed players have a better chance of beating the keeper if they put it to the left as the ball is curling away from the keeper. All 3 pens tonight saved when players went to the right.

I'd be interested to see stats that back up or disprove my theory.

Ozyhibby
21-07-2017, 10:41 PM

First penalty taker should put straight down the middle because keeper always dives first penalty.

If picking a corner, right footed players have a better chance of beating the keeper if they put it to the left as the ball is curling away from the keeper. All 3 pens tonight saved when players went to the right.

Shaw and whittakers penalties were dreadful. An absolute gift for a goalie. No disguise, no power and a great height for the save. You can't score pens like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaMotta
21-07-2017, 11:12 PM
Shaw and whittakers penalties were dreadful. An absolute gift for a goalie. No disguise, no power and a great height for the save. You can't score pens like that.

agreed....if the keeper dives the right way then a pen like that is always getting saved.

Brightside
21-07-2017, 11:12 PM
who cares...... its a warm up.. great game.

Ozyhibby
21-07-2017, 11:27 PM

It's not though, it's the league cup. We will likely still go through but with a trickier tie in the next round. It was a good performance but just like so many we have watched over the last few years we lacked any bite up front. There are still players to come in and they need to be real game changers as far as improving our fortunes in front of goal.

Brightside
22-07-2017, 12:04 AM
It's not though, it's the league cup. We will likely still go through but with a trickier tie in the next round. It was a good performance but just like so many we have watched over the last few years we lacked any bite up front. There are still players to come in and they need to be real game changers as far as improving our fortunes in front of goal.

Relax

Ozyhibby
22-07-2017, 12:10 AM
Relax

I find it difficult. [emoji3]

Col2
22-07-2017, 12:23 AM
If we win our next two games we are highly likely to go through

Yes we will play a stronger team in last 16 bit other than Celtic who would really make us lose any sleep?

We will be at Hampden again later this year. And as warm up to the big one next year.

Tony Bobulinski
22-07-2017, 12:30 AM

Absolutely agree.

munchar
22-07-2017, 12:46 AM
Absolutely agree.

P*sh!!
Right enough, we can sacrifice the League Cup, because we have a great record in the Scottish!
The season starts when the first competitive game starts. No excuses for not being ready, apart from we are not good enough! 😡

poolman
22-07-2017, 01:06 AM
I'm no goalie but it pisses me off when I see a keeper diving left or right and the ball going down the middle

Can't they just wait and see

connerg
22-07-2017, 01:37 AM
Shaw and whittakers penalties were dreadful. An absolute gift for a goalie. No disguise, no savepower and a great height for the . You can't score pens like that.

C'mon Whittaker, you should know better! Played in the EPL. Your agent got you a good deal pal.

Tony Bobulinski
22-07-2017, 02:29 AM
P*sh!!
Right enough, we can sacrifice the League Cup, because we have a great record in the Scottish!
The season starts when the first competitive game starts. No excuses for not being ready, apart from we are not good enough! 😡

Fair point. However, I suppose I can't be too fussed about this result when we're almost certain to progress to the next round. I understand we had our chances to put the game away and avoid penalties, but what I took away from this one is that we looked fit and ready to attack from the off. That boosts my confidence that we'll be able to consolidate a finish firmly within the top six this season. That's my overall hope and I'm not going to let this result begin to shape my outlook for what may prove to be a very exciting season.

connerg
22-07-2017, 02:36 AM
Fair point. However, I suppose I can't be too fussed about this result when we're almost certain to progress to the next round. I understand we had our chances to put the game away and avoid penalties, but what I took away from this one is that we looked fit and ready to attack from the off. That boosts my confidence that we'll be able to consolidate a finish firmly within the top six this season. That's my overall hope and I'm not going to let this result begin to shape my outlook for what may prove to be a very exciting season.

We never scored. Had a few chances but couldn't finish! How can you be sure of a top six place?

Tony Bobulinski
22-07-2017, 03:43 AM
We never scored. Had a few chances but couldn't finish! How can you be sure of a top six place?

I felt that there was an energy and approach from the team that wasn't always on show last season. Being that it was only our second competitive match I was pleased with that. Of course I was frustrated that we didn't walk away with more than a point, but I'm not ready to question much at the moment.

franck sauzee
22-07-2017, 05:03 AM
I'm no goalie but it pisses me off when I see a keeper diving left or right and the ball going down the middle

If they did that the penalty takers would place it into a corner and the goalie wouldn't get near it

Brooster
22-07-2017, 05:10 AM
I think there's a lot of work to be done before we can be sure of anything.

hibbycraig
22-07-2017, 05:26 AM
Every penalty should just be hit with as much power as possible.

eastcoasthibby
22-07-2017, 06:47 AM

And they had no pace on them weakly hit at a good height for the keeper. When go higher you have a.much greater chance of scoring ..very very rarely do.you see a keeper make penalty save higher up ..practise, practise, practise ..disappointing to lose that way

LaMotta
22-07-2017, 08:31 AM
And they had no pace on them weakly hit at a good height for the keeper. When go higher you have a.much greater chance of scoring ..very very rarely do.you see a keeper make penalty save higher up ..practise, practise, practise ..disappointing to lose that way

Although if you put it higher there is a chance you will hit the bar or put it over :greengrin

BoomtownHibees
22-07-2017, 08:56 AM

We didn't lose

Danderhall Hibs
22-07-2017, 08:57 AM
We didn't lose

We did - 4-3. They get 2 points we get 1.

BoomtownHibees
22-07-2017, 08:58 AM
We did - 4-3. They get 2 points we get 1.

That's no losing. We drew the game. Lost out on a bonus point. Doesn't class as a defeat.

emerald green
22-07-2017, 09:23 AM
Powder puff in front of goal. That's why RC ended up with two points and Hibs only one.

erin go bragh
22-07-2017, 12:21 PM
More chance of blazing it over or wide me thinks .
Hit the inside side netting with some power and unless the keeper makes a wonder save , it's a goal .

lord bunberry
22-07-2017, 12:25 PM
I was surprised to see the 2 youngest players taking penalties.

DTS
22-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Jesus we played well and yeah didn't finish a few chances that we had, that being said id be pretty happy with 2 draws over the season up there. we looked good and on another day Boyle scores, mcgregor scores. don't panic about drawing a game against another poem team in a glorified pre season game which unfortunately thats what it is. this season is going to be a good one :thumbsup:

bod
22-07-2017, 12:43 PM
Exactly a year ago we lost on penalties to Brondby, tonight, we lose to County, this better not be a common theme, we used to have a great record in shoot outs, I don't like this feeling :)

maybe we should refuse to play on that date in future then

Scouse Hibee
22-07-2017, 12:57 PM
Make your mind up, head down, foot through the ball....goal

22-07-2017, 01:18 PM
Make your mind up, head down, foot through the ball....goal

100%.

Penalties are a lottery to be quite honest. Sometimes its the best players who miss and its the big huddy defenders that score. Sometimes can come down to who can hold their nerve better, especially when it gets to sudden death and the onus really is on you.

We played well last night and with a bit more cutting edge up front we would have won in normal time. On to the next :aok:

Colr
22-07-2017, 04:56 PM

Up until getting relegated by Hamilton, we had only lost one penalty shoot out (to Leeds in the early 70s).

This is what happens when you introduce an English international as manager. They're like a disease!

Colr
22-07-2017, 04:57 PM
100%.

Penalties are a lottery to be quite honest. Sometimes its the best players who miss and its the big huddy defenders that score. Sometimes can come down to who can hold their nerve better, especially when it gets to sudden death and the onus really is onk:

So they're not a lottery. It's down to mentality.

Captain Trips
22-07-2017, 05:00 PM
We should have won in the 90mins and when we get in some forwards then we will be more than good that for me was the only issue last night and NL knows it and we are working on sorting it with new strikers.

No matter what we will miss penalties and teams will miss penalties against us, not botherd at all about the penalties, it would have been nice to win shoot out but it would be nicer to have scored 2 or 3 during the 90 and thats the only thing needing addressed.

Danderhall Hibs
22-07-2017, 05:00 PM
That's no losing. We drew the game. Lost out on a bonus point. Doesn't class as a defeat.

This is great news - we need to get the records updated to show Hearts shared the cup with Gretna. :hilarious

cmcd
22-07-2017, 05:41 PM

Not as simple as that

BoomtownHibees
22-07-2017, 05:41 PM
This is great news - we need to get the records updated to show Hearts shared the cup with Gretna. :hilarious

What are you on about? The league cup table will show that we got a draw, not a defeat. Completely different to a game that is decided on pens, such as the one you mention

Danderhall Hibs
22-07-2017, 06:28 PM
What are you on about? The league cup table will show that we got a draw, not a defeat. Completely different to a game that is decided on pens, such as the one you mention

Assuming we both win our remaining games it'll also show us in 2nd place due to us losing last night.

Or 2nd due to us not gaining as many points as them depending on how you'd like to spin it.

greenlex
22-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Assuming we both win our remaining games it'll also show us in 2nd place due to us losing last night.

Or 2nd due to us not gaining as many points as them depending on how you'd like to spin it.

We didn't lose last night. We drew. That is an undisputeable fact. The fact we lost out on a bonus point is neither here nor there.

davhibby
22-07-2017, 06:44 PM
Up until getting relegated by Hamilton, we had only lost one penalty shoot out (to Leeds in the early 70s).

That's some stat when you consider we've since lost 3 and won 1

Danderhall Hibs
22-07-2017, 07:13 PM
We didn't lose last night. We drew. That is an undisputeable fact. The fact we lost out on a bonus point is neither here nor there.

We drew the game but lost the tie then? The penalties do count.

CropleyWasGod
22-07-2017, 07:19 PM
We drew the game but lost the tie then? The penalties do count.The SPFL tables have last night's game as a draw. We got 1 point, RC got 2.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
22-07-2017, 07:23 PM
The SPFL tables have last night's game as a draw. We got 1 point, RC got 2.

I know - presumably RC got a point more than us for some reason?

CropleyWasGod
22-07-2017, 07:48 PM
I know - presumably RC got a point more than us for some reason?They got a point for winning the penalties and a point for DRAWING the football game [emoji16]

greenlex
22-07-2017, 07:51 PM
We drew the game but lost the tie then? The penalties do count.
No we drew the game/tie but lost out on the bonus point by not winning the penalty shoot out. It's no really that difficult.

Danderhall Hibs
22-07-2017, 07:54 PM
No we drew the game/tie but lost out on the bonus point by not winning the penalty shoot out. It's no really that difficult.

I didn't think it was either but it seems to be really hard to get folk to admit we lost. :greengrin

greenlex
22-07-2017, 07:55 PM
I didn't think it was either but it seems to be really hard to get folk to admit we lost. :greengrin
We didnt :wink:

Andy74
22-07-2017, 08:00 PM

We didn't. The penalties are for an additional bonus point available after a match has been drawn.

Danderhall Hibs
22-07-2017, 08:02 PM
We didnt :wink:

I'm with you - we just gained less points than the team we were playing.

Danderhall Hibs
22-07-2017, 08:04 PM
We didn't. The penalties are for an additional bonus point available after a match has been drawn.

I know - my take on it is if you lose (I think I can still say that :greengrin) the shoot out then you don't gain as many points as the "winning" team so I see that as a loss.

greenlex
22-07-2017, 08:04 PM
I'm with you - we just gained less points than the team we were playing. Correct. It's a league game with a bonus point up for grabs via a pen shoot out if you draw it.

emerald green
22-07-2017, 08:09 PM
It was a draw, and RC won the penalty shoot out for the bonus point. Danderhall Hibs is well aware of this of course.

Bottom line is that RC currently have 8 points, Arbroath in second place have 5 points, and Hibs have 4 points. Alloa have 1 point and Montrose have no points.

BoomtownHibees
22-07-2017, 08:21 PM
I know - my take on it is if you lose (I think I can still say that :greengrin) the shoot out then you don't gain as many points as the "winning" team so I see that as a loss.

You get 0 points when you "lose". We got 1 point for the draw 😎

Danderhall Hibs
22-07-2017, 08:28 PM
You get 0 points when you "lose". We got 1 point for the draw 😎

Or is it a consolation point? Or a losing bonus? :hilarious

Iggy Pope
22-07-2017, 09:15 PM
That's some stat when you consider we've since lost 3 and won 1

Keeping the thread real it's not really that alarming a stat. Between losing that Leeds tie and up to losing against Hamilton (40 years) we hadn't been involved in too many competition penalty shoot outs. I can think of two league cup ties, one v Celtic, one v Partick and a Scottish v Aberdeen. We've been in as many penalty deciders in the last 4 years as we were in the 40 before and the latest one is simply down to a formatting exercise. We haven't suddenly become crap at penalty shoot outs. And we won the biggest of the lot.
Stand to be corrected as ever.

greenlex
22-07-2017, 09:23 PM
Keeping the thread real it's not really that alarming a stat. Between losing that Leeds tie and up to losing against Hamilton (40 years) we hadn't been involved in too many competition penalty shoot outs. I can think of two league cup ties, one v Celtic, one v Partick and a Scottish v Aberdeen. We've been in as many penalty deciders in the last 4 years as we were in the 40 before and the latest one is simply down to a formatting exercise. We haven't suddenly become crap at penalty shoot outs. And we won the biggest of the lot.
Stand to be corrected as ever.
League cup v Rangers.

Bristolhibby
23-07-2017, 04:40 AM
P*sh!!

You do know we drew?

Iggy Pope
23-07-2017, 11:32 AM
League cup v Rangers.

As ever.
Ta.

Bobby's Cinema
23-07-2017, 11:46 AM
Thought we played well, very slick at times and with confidence.

Good link-up already between swanson/boyle/murray. Have seen it so often in the past that it takes forever to form a partnership and players playing like strangers. We already look to be forming strong partnerships.

I find it hard to care at all that we lost on pens. It feels farcical more than anything to me. The new format makes it feel like a friendly.

Plenty positives to take, personally I feel better about how we are shaping up after watching this game.

Just need for me a further 2 attacking options.

leggeto
23-07-2017, 11:54 AM

I prefer to put mine in the top corner

Mick O'Rourke
23-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Hibernian and penalties
Ronnie Simpson was a very good saver of penalty kicks
He once saved 6 in a row for Hibernian

Joe Davis The Penalty King for Hibernian through most of the 60s
Scored more than 40 goals from the spot
He was a left back. yet one season i think he was Hibs 2nd highest scorer.

Penalty story
My uncle told me this many,many ago.

Hibernian at Ibrox
Fans are leaving the ground
From a tenement window in Copeland Road,a guy shouts down to the passing crowd
"What was the score?"
Fans shout up to him...."Nil Nil"
FFS (or letters to that effect) cried the guy at the window.... "who missed rAngers penalty?!!!

Nothing changes, eh?

Dan Sarf
23-07-2017, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=Mick O'Rourke;5111635]Hibernian and penalties

Until the other teams worked out that he was standing slightly off centre on the goal line - apparently by mistake - leaving a wider goal to aim for on one side. So Ronnie always knew which way to dive!

Leith's finest
24-07-2017, 09:51 AM
I hadŁ5 on ross county game ending 0.0 got odds 6/1 so as far as im concerned it was a draw not a defeat as some are saying

--------
24-07-2017, 11:44 AM
Hibernian and penalties

Penalty story

Hibernian at Ibrox
"What was the score?"
FFS (or letters to that effect) cried the guy at the window.... "who missed rAngers penalty?!!!

Nothing changes, eh?

Yup. I remember Simpson and Davis. And you're right - one season he was second top scorer with IIRC 15 goals, all from the spot. I think he missed one that season - nobody could believe it.

I know what your uncle meant. We were visiting my father-in-law around 1980-81. The Huns were at ER. Bill was just finishing work and phoned to let my mother-in-law know he would be home shortly. He asked to speak to me.

"What was the score at Easter Road?" he asked.

"2-2," I told him.

"Who scored Rangers' penalty?"

"Robertson," I told him. (That would be Fat-Boy's big brother.)

Then the penny dropped. "Hang on - how did you know they got a penalty?"

"The (expletive deleted) always get a penalty."

Like you say - nothing changes.

Iggy Pope
24-07-2017, 04:31 PM
Hibernian and penalties

Penalty story

Hibernian at Ibrox
"What was the score?"

Nothing changes, eh?

Speaking of Ronnie Simpson I heard the same tale a wee bit differently.

An Old Firm game was hit amongst dozens of others by the weather and the Pools Panel were called in, Ronnie being a panellist.
The panel decided, presumably by majority, on the OF game being a no score draw.
Ronnie asked who had missed the Rangers penalty.

Pat Stanton told me this one when he had the Tolbooth, so it probably works on a few levels not least your Uncle!