PDA

View Full Version : Martin Boyle

LaMotta
21-07-2017, 09:39 PM
Think tonight confirmed how important Boyle will be for us this season against better opposition than last couple of years. As he showed against Aberdeen last season, with teams attacking us more there will be space for him to exploit.

His end product wont always be there but often enough for him to be very valuable this season.

scuttle
21-07-2017, 09:43 PM
Think tonight confirmed how important Boyle will be for us this season against better opposition than last couple of years. As he showed against Aberdeen last season, with teams attacking us more there will be space for him to exploit.

His end product wont always be there but often enough for him to be very valuable this season.

Should be terrorising defences with that pace but needs to work on his crossing, but agree it could be a big season for him

Vault Boy
21-07-2017, 09:46 PM
Has worked and developed his way from being a squad player to looking like an important first team regular. Played well today, his touch has improved IMO. His pace is frightening.

lord bunberry
21-07-2017, 09:46 PM

Agreed. At one point tonight he had three defenders on him. He gets better every time I see him.

Bishop Hibee
21-07-2017, 09:47 PM
If he gets a good understanding with Whittaker we'll cause teams a lot of trouble down that wing.

HibsNutter
21-07-2017, 09:47 PM

End product is very rare with Boyle, he is incredibly frustrating.

B.H.F.C
21-07-2017, 09:50 PM
Dangerous. But for all the runs he made and all the good positions he got in to we didn't have anything to show for it.

Pretty much sums up us as a team.

21-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Lovin' the Pilks.

LaMotta
21-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Just went on the match thread and cant believe he was being singled out as poor by someone!

Should have had a phenomenal assist for Swanson in the first half if DS had finished.

LaMotta
21-07-2017, 10:03 PM
End product is very rare with Boyle, he is incredibly frustrating.

I dont think his end product is very rare. He was our second top scorer last year behind Cummings.

He gets himself in to far more attacking positions than most other players down to his pace, yes his conversion rate might not be the best but given his ability to get in more creative positions that is less relevant.

The_Horde
21-07-2017, 10:04 PM
Final Boyle. Confirmed.

snooky
21-07-2017, 10:05 PM
Agreed. At one point tonight he had three defenders on him. He gets better every time I see him.

Where were the two free Hibs players?
Agree. He can be a big player for us.
Kinda dropped out the game in the 2nd half unfortunately

RamYer1902
21-07-2017, 10:58 PM
Agree but he should've buried that chance at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brightside
21-07-2017, 11:02 PM
Gray may not get a game.

davemcbain
21-07-2017, 11:15 PM
End product doesn't need to matter if you need 3 defenders to cover you - leaves a lot of space behind if the other forwards are in tune.

Forza Fred
22-07-2017, 01:43 AM
Thought Boyle was very effective this morning..evening to you.....especially in the first half.

Been critical myself of 'the end product' not being delivered previously, but at times he reminded me of the Bold Arthur Duncan with his forays down the wings.

Alex Trager
22-07-2017, 01:47 AM
I dont think his end product is very rare. He was our second top scorer last year behind Cummings.

He gets himself in to far more attacking positions than most other players down to his pace, yes his conversion rate might not be the best but given his ability to get in more creative positions that is less relevant.

Surely it's more relevant based on the fact he gets into the positions?!

It's less relevant for the likes of Marvin Bartley because he is not an attacking player.

Boyle is. And he gets into good positions regularly and regularly fails to convert

J-C
22-07-2017, 06:46 AM
Boyle and Murray are too similar and someone like Stokes or big Davy is needed. If Boyle is played out wide then he will be frustrating but he still gives you that buzz of excitement like Sproule used to do, that burst of speed that got you off your seat.

Leith Green
22-07-2017, 06:48 AM
Thought his end product was missing last night, whoch generally sums him up ... really good player on his day , but also frustrates quite often.

eastcoasthibby
22-07-2017, 07:01 AM
I agree potential match winner with his pace, to get into positions and get by defenders,frustrating player, who seems to lack belief/ confidence at times. The run when he went.by and across the defender should b a natural built in thing to do because it makes the defender make a decision, bring him down either way its positive ..but his end product could be better.
As has been said drifted out of the game massively second half, why ? Thats a trait of his since he came to us, we need.him on the ball as often as possible and he should want to be on it more as well ...and.if he stops playing with his.hair everytime he is off the ball then he might be able to gain a few seconds to get on it again. 😉
Has real potential to.step up a level this season.

Northernhibee
22-07-2017, 07:04 AM
If he had a consistent end product he'd be a multi million pound player. That pace and can play as a RWB, RM, RW or striker?

lucky
22-07-2017, 07:50 AM
He puts the effort in but he lacks the vision to find his man. As for his corners, jeezo oh. I'm not convinced that he should be starting every week but still a decent impact player

My_Wife_Camille
22-07-2017, 08:15 AM
If he had a consistent end product he'd be a multi million pound player. That pace and can play as a RWB, RM, RW or striker?
Scott Allan had a killer end product and went for less that half a million. Ivan Sproule (who is probably a fairer comparison) also went for half a million.

I get the point your making but it's one that's overstated. It's possible for Martin Boyle to improve slightly without being a multi million pound player.

I'm a big fan of his but his final ball is poor and he's a very clumsy finisher. It always catches my eye the number of clear cut one on one chances that he gets that he hits straight at the keeper, like he did last night. Yes he scored 8 last season but with the number of guilt edge chances he had he could and really should have had about double that.

He does have it in his locker though. The cross to Holt in the semi and the chip against St Mirren at home proves that.

LaMotta
22-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Surely it's more relevant based on the fact he gets into the positions?!

It's less relevant for the likes of Marvin Bartley because he is not an attacking player.

Boyle is. And he gets into good positions regularly and regularly fails to convert

No its less relevant because his pace means he can get himself into better positions more often than someone without that pace.

He can contribute more to a team than a player who statistically has a better end product rate but doesnt get into good positions often enough.

Diclonius
22-07-2017, 08:29 AM
Boyle is so reminiscent of Ivan Sproule. He's extremely fast and dangerous, almost always makes it into the final third, then isn't entirely sure where to go from there. Even their squad number is the same.

I think he's a great player for us and will be very important this season.

Leith Green
22-07-2017, 08:44 AM
Boyle is so reminiscent of Ivan Sproule. He's extremely fast and dangerous, almost always makes it into the final third, then isn't entirely sure where to go from there. Even their squad number is the same.

I think he's a great player for us and will be very important this season.

Agree with that ... He is definitely an asset to our squad. Can see us strengthening with one more wide player before the window closes

3pm
22-07-2017, 08:49 AM
I still think Boyle's best position is coming in off the left.

lumbo_hfc
22-07-2017, 08:55 AM
I still think Boyle's best position is coming in off the left.

I would have played him there last night not because it's his best position but it would have allowed Whittaker to get forward a bit more from right back who would have had a better final ball. Think there is a place for Boyle in the team though. He shouldn't be on the corners though

Smartie
22-07-2017, 09:32 AM
I think he's turned himself into one of our most important players.

His pace caused havoc, especially in the first half. Yes, the final ball wasn't there, but he did get one decent one over to Swanson who should have done better.

I was impressed by much of what we did last night but it petered out when we got to the edge of their box.

I'm not exactly sure what the solution is but we need to do much better in the final third than we showed last night.

We may turn out to be a better counter-attacking team when playing against stronger sides, we might continue to struggle to break down teams who get men behind the ball quickly.

heretoday
22-07-2017, 09:35 AM
He's a Sproule type of winger - speedy rather than tricky. But if the final ball's no good he'll end up as a super sub.

emerald green
22-07-2017, 09:46 AM
Boyle has pace, which is a plus. However, his finishing leaves much to be desired IMO. I just feel he misses too many sitters in front of goal.

Alex Trager
22-07-2017, 10:28 AM
No its less relevant because his pace means he can get himself into better positions more often than someone without that pace.

He can contribute more to a team than a player who statistically has a better end product rate but doesnt get into good positions often enough.

Totally disagree.

It's more relevant.

Frankly I'd rather a guy scores more goals but gets into the position to do so less often rather than a guy who gets into good positions but doesn't score goals or make the killer pass often enough.

Boyle not only has a poor amount of goals per chances but he fails to make the pass as well.

That is why I think his final product is poor.

I haven't seen him since last season but it sounds like there is no difference in this department.

His pace is useful. I just wished he would have more composure

LaMotta
22-07-2017, 11:07 AM
Totally disagree.

It's more relevant.

Frankly I'd rather a guy scores more goals but gets into the position to do so less often rather than a guy who gets into good positions but doesn't score goals or make the killer pass often enough.

Boyle not only has a poor amount of goals per chances but he fails to make the pass as well.

That is why I think his final product is poor.

I haven't seen him since last season but it sounds like there is no difference in this department.

His pace is useful. I just wished he would have more composure

Player A gets into 60 good positions and only has end product 25% of the time

Player B gets into 30 good positions and has end product 40% of the time.

Both players have the same amount of gametime over a season and end product means a goal (scored or assist)

Which player has made a better contribution to the team?

Alex Trager
22-07-2017, 11:28 AM
Player A gets into 60 good positions and only has end product 25% of the time

Player B gets into 30 good positions and has end product 40% of the time.

Both players have the same amount of gametime over a season and end product means a goal (scored or assist)

Which player has made a better contribution to the team?

Let's change that from 40% upwards toward 60%

LaMotta
22-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Let's change that from 40% upwards toward 60%

How about we change it to 50% so they both end up with the same goals.

Player A's poorer end product rate is less relevant than player B because player A gets more chances to contribute.

Walter
22-07-2017, 11:56 AM
Worth remembering also that Boyle can completely take the pressure off the team when under pressure

HFCdeb
22-07-2017, 01:00 PM
Quite easily our most improved player since this time last season. I think there could be more to come from him as well.

Stevie Reid
22-07-2017, 01:01 PM
Gray may not get a game.

Likely to be very worried after seeing how Whittaker slotted in last night.

Stevie Reid
22-07-2017, 01:03 PM
His pace alone is a valuable asset, but is capable of some very good moments and will contribute a lot this season.

Missed a huge chance at the end, but has never looked convincing in one on ones with the keeper.

22-07-2017, 01:08 PM
Boyles under rated IMO. Bags of pace to take players on with. Only thing that lets him down sometimes is his final ball but he's a real handful for defenders to deal with. Will be a key player for us this season. We won't be playing against teams every other week who park behind the ball which we sometimes struggled to break down so hopefully the likes of Boyle will be able to have a bit more freedom.

B.H.F.C
22-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Missed a huge chance at the end, but has never looked convincing in one on ones with the keeper.

If he could improve that aspect of his game he'd be good for a fair number of goals because his pace gets him in there, even from out wide.

Stevie Reid
22-07-2017, 01:40 PM
If he could improve that aspect of his game he'd be good for a fair number of goals because his pace gets him in there, even from out wide.

Definitely. Every faith that Lennon can improve him, I think he looks like he has more purpose about him under Lennon, though that also may be down to him being older and more experienced.

Can't ever see him being someone who will score a lot, but ten goals and ten assists would be great contribution.

His ability to run teams ragged will also help break them down over the course of a game, even if he doesn't score or directly create a goal.

confused
22-07-2017, 09:21 PM
I just hope he never reads this crap, I did until just now , I'm finished what a load of moaning Minnie's bye .

lord bunberry
22-07-2017, 09:34 PM
I just hope he never reads this crap, I did until just now , I'm finished what a load of moaning Minnie's bye .
Catch you later:greengrin I agree though, it's only been since Lennon came in that Boyle has been converted to a winger. He's improving leaps and bounds in that position, a lot like Ivan did. His final ball last night was better and the more he plays the better it will get. We're lucky to have him as he had offers from other clubs. He's a great wee player who loves being here and knows what the club means to us.

oldbutdim
22-07-2017, 09:50 PM
I love The Squirrel and his never say die attitude.
His warm ups are brilliant too.

He puts in killer crosses but last season only had Jason and a pretty stationary Holty to aim for. Hopefully this season there will be others who can take advantage.

I bet he's a brilliant guy to have around too.
I'm sure he gives team mates a lift.

Probably not in his car though.

vercol36
22-07-2017, 10:05 PM

He puts in killer crosses but last season only had Jason and a pretty stationary Holty to aim for. Hopefully this season there will be others who can take advantage.

Agreed. Excellent asset, and I imagine he keeps spirits high in the dressing room. Can only see him improving too

22-07-2017, 10:18 PM
The squirrel is the nuts.

Big L
22-07-2017, 10:26 PM
The more midfielders we get making runs in to the box the more chances you will see converted, Boyle does not get the credit he deserves, he has to play every week imo and he will get better.

HoboHarry
23-07-2017, 04:54 AM

Don't even suggest that or Lee Wallace will grass him up.......

Craig_HFC
23-07-2017, 07:30 AM
Boyler will be a huge player for us this season imo. He's come on leaps & bounds in the last year; he works tirelessly and his pace will cause havoc.

HibbyAndy
23-07-2017, 07:51 AM
I like him, Like him alot

LaMotta
23-07-2017, 08:14 AM

You are a bit confused.......most people are heaping praise on him!

southern hibby
23-07-2017, 08:42 AM
I think Boyle is an amazing prospect, he offers speed which we severely lack. Said last season he would do more for us when he can run at teams if they leave space to exploit unlike the championship with 11 men behind the ball.

I think his first touch has come on leaps and bounds since his first few games and more so this season, for example when he chested the ball down ran into space and scored ( just like to add that the pass for that goal from McGinn was a peach).

Now if he would only lift his head when about to cross a ball so he knows where to pass/area to play it into we could have an absolutely amazing player on our books.

GGTTH

SirDavidsNapper
23-07-2017, 10:39 AM
Surprised to see he's only 24.

hibsbollah
23-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Worth remembering also that Boyle can completely take the pressure off the team when under pressure

:agree:That's the key, and something people miss with him I think. His pace and control of the ball at speed creates space elsewhere.

makaveli1875
23-07-2017, 10:58 AM
Boyle has come on leaps and bounds in the last year or so , his crossing isnt the best and he has a tendency to snatch at chances but lets be honest with that pace if he could deliver pin point crosses every time and finish all his chances he wouldnt be playing for hibs

SON OF PADDY
23-07-2017, 11:23 AM
Boyler will be a huge player for us this season imo. He's come on leaps & bounds in the last year; he works tirelessly and his pace will cause havoc.

This 100% 😁 I think his new haircut has also helped !
Adding additional 🏃🏃🏃 speed down the wing, keep it shaved squirrel. 🐹

Nutmegged
23-07-2017, 11:27 AM
I don't rate Boyle and never have, I respect the fact he's a workhorse but we need more than that, I think we need far better than what he can provide

B.H.F.C
23-07-2017, 11:36 AM
I don't rate Boyle and never have, I respect the fact he's a workhorse but we need more than that, I think we need far better than what he can provide

A year ago I'd have totally agreed with this. But I think he improved a lot last year.

That said, he needs to kick on and improve again. He gets in to so many good positions in nearly every game these days. If the final bit can be improved he could be a great player for us. But only if that happens.

kaimendhibs
23-07-2017, 11:39 AM
I really like Boyle. Terrific pace and attitude. Will be a very important player this season. Can see him winning a fair few penalties too

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hawick hibee
23-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Boyle for me is an asset,has pace to open up defences, with this pace comes the ability to take pressure of our own defence at times. he can finish and yes needs composure at times in front of goals, he can pass the ball but sometimes lacks that killer pass.
Let's be honest though if he ticked all the boxes he wouldn't be in a Hibs top but I for one am glad because he is a lad that tries each time he pulls on the shirt, he is improving that'll do for me!!!

lumbo_hfc
23-07-2017, 11:51 AM
This 100% 😁 I think his new haircut has also helped !
Adding additional 🏃🏃🏃 speed down the wing, keep it shaved squirrel. 🐹
Did he not just get a hair transplant? 😂 Think it's shaved so it can all grow in evenly. He'll be like Leo Sayer by the time the season starts!!

Allant1981
23-07-2017, 12:47 PM

he is more than just a workhorse as proven against ross county, yip should have scored at the end but he can beat a man very easily, once he gets his crossing sorted he will destroy defences