PDA

View Full Version : Today's lesson

Humo
21-07-2017, 08:49 PM
Great all round team performance just lacking that clinical edge.

All we need is a goalscorer and we'll be top 6 easy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
21-07-2017, 08:50 PM
Todaya lesson - goals win football matches.

Gatecrasher
WE NEED A GOALSCORER

It's as simple as that.

lucky
We need two up top

Nakedmanoncrack
21-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Not learned much, seen it all before, good performance but always likely to struggle to score.

frazeHFC
21-07-2017, 08:52 PM
We've signed Dave and we'll hopefully get Stokes. We're still shaping up nicely, the performance was there.

Steve20
Simon Murray was far too isolated. We were the better team apart from that.

scuttle
Powder Puff

Stevie Reid
21-07-2017, 08:53 PM
Put Stokes in that team and we'll go places. Very encouraged by the tempo and quality of play tonight.

The Captain....
21-07-2017, 08:54 PM
Agreed, we neatly passed our way into some good positions but really struggled to create anything of note other than a few snap shots first half and Boyle at the end.

Lennon knows we need quality in the last third, we know we need quality in the last third so I really hope that we get Stokes over the line. Murray has decent attributes but playing thru the middle on his own isn't one of them and I'm sure he was only playing that role out of necessity tonight.

Never viewed this as anything other than a pre season friendly as both teams well short of proper match fitness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xyz23jc
21-07-2017, 08:54 PM
WINNING MENTALITY!!:agree: Ross County look a poor side, so to lose to them isn't very encouraging, we were the better team all over the park, hope we learn from this!

madhatter
21-07-2017, 08:55 PM
Nothing against Graham but he adds zero to this team, almost every time he comes on the team lose their way and we do very little constructively.

Having said that, Graham comes on and McGinn still played passes in behind (Graham has to be one of the slowest players I've seen).

I'm confident ahead of the new season though as we have strong squad that will be strengthened. Remember Efe and Whittaker hadn't played a single match before that.

Swanson looked really good.

kaimendhibs
21-07-2017, 08:55 PM
Unlucky tonight. Big Dave and Stokes and we would have won

bingo70
21-07-2017, 09:00 PM
WE NEED A GOALSCORER

It's as simple as that.

It's never as simple as that, Stokes is a goal scorer but simply signing him won't fix our problems.

I think one of the problems was the bench was so weak, we need a goalscorer but we also need a better physical presence up front (hopefully big Dave), we need more options in midfield and i still think we need a bit creativity, most of all though we need better depth on the squad.

In no way am I righting the young guys off, I think Fraser Murray in particular has huge potential but I do think the step up in class and physicality showed tonight, I think he'd benefit from a loan spell at a decent championship club.

Ronniekirk
21-07-2017, 09:03 PM
WE NEED A GOALSCORER

It's as simple as that.

Yep we relied on Cummings We have sold him so no real surprise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21-07-2017, 09:04 PM
2 new striker needed. We can't just bring in Stokes and rely on him. I think the team is pretty much complete but we need goalscorers.

madhatter
21-07-2017, 09:05 PM
2 new striker needed. We can't just bring in Stokes and rely on him. I think the team is pretty much complete but we need goalscorers.

Definitely need more in midfield as well - hence why Lennon is looking at another

Spike Mandela
21-07-2017, 09:06 PM
Familiar problems in final third.

Hopefully that will be addressed in the coming weeks either in players sharpening up or new signings.

Promising.

Sean1875
21-07-2017, 09:08 PM
Nothing against Graham but he adds zero to this team, almost every time he comes on the team lose their way and we do very little constructively.

Having said that, Graham comes on and McGinn still played passes in behind (Graham has to be one of the slowest players I've seen).

I'm confident ahead of the new season though as we have strong squad that will be strengthened. Remember Efe and Whittaker hadn't played a single match before that.

Swanson looked really good.

Yup, we seemed to go very flat when Murray went off. Reckon if Murray had support next to him i.e Dave or Stokes then the goals would have came tonight no doubt!

High-On-Hibs
21-07-2017, 09:09 PM
Today's lessons

1) We still look a bit slack at the back
2) We need to beef up the midfield a little more
3) We need at least 2 more strikers
4) We're the finished article :cb

Bishop Hibee
21-07-2017, 09:09 PM
One lesson is defences in this league will be a lot better than the Championship. McGinn and McGeoch need to chip in with goals regardless of who we sign up front.

Peevemor
21-07-2017, 09:10 PM
My thoughts -

Swanson looked off the pace and should have been hooked earlier (maybe for Shaw or Graham) to go 4-4-2 sooner
Simon Murray looks good. He doesn't waste much and uses the ball well when crowded out.
Boyle's not very good at taking corners.
McGeouch always searches an opening for the pass and never for the shot.
Ambrose looked great considering he's only had about a day and a half of pre-season.
Well done to F. Murray and Shaw for stepping up to take penalties.
Whittie will be a real asset once the players get used to each other.
Davies was a stand-out for them - Darren should have done him earlier. :greengrin

Great travelling support tonight all things considered - well done all. :aok:

Souter96Mac
21-07-2017, 09:11 PM
I quite liked the look of Murray and he effort, as said above, if he had a strike partner we would've scored goals. But saying that, he linked well with Swanson imo

erskine-hibby
21-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Two words... Jason Cummings.

stoneyburn hibs
21-07-2017, 09:13 PM

What about him ?

erskine-hibby
21-07-2017, 09:16 PM
What about him ?

Haven't replaced him, had he been there we would have won IMHO.

bingo70
21-07-2017, 09:23 PM

We drew plenty of games last season against worse opposition than ross County so I'm not sure about that.

horseflesh
21-07-2017, 09:24 PM

Is this a confirmed rumour? Do you think forest will sell?

angus hibby
21-07-2017, 09:28 PM
Unlucky tonight. Big Dave and Stokes and we would have won

Have you seen 'Big Dave' play?? No one has any idea what he'll be like, so not sure how you come to that conclusion

allmodcons
21-07-2017, 09:29 PM
My thoughts -

Swanson looked off the pace and should have been hooked earlier (maybe for Shaw or Graham) to go 4-4-2 sooner
Simon Murray looks good. He doesn't waste much and uses the ball well when crowded out.
Boyle's not very good at taking corners.
McGeouch always searches an opening for the pass and never for the shot.
Ambrose looked great considering he's only had about a day and a half of pre-season.
Well done to F. Murray and Shaw for stepping up to take penalties.
Whittie will be a real asset once the players get used to each other.
Davies was a stand-out for them - Darren should have done him earlier. :greengrin

Great travelling support tonight all things considered - well done all. :aok:

You are, of course, joking about Swanson. Best player on park, particularly, first half.

Ozyhibby
21-07-2017, 09:30 PM
Lack of creativity in the final 3rd. Same problem for 5 years.

erskine-hibby
21-07-2017, 09:31 PM
We drew plenty of games last season against worse opposition than ross County so I'm not sure about that.

You can never be 100% that's for sure, but as I said I think we would have won with him, or at least a decent replacement, on the pitch.

Peevemor
21-07-2017, 09:32 PM
You are, of course, joking about Swanson. Best player on park, particularly, first half.

To be honest I only started watching 25 minutes in (I had to install a different version of chrome to get Hibs TV working) so maybe I missed his best bits.

Andy74
21-07-2017, 09:32 PM
Lennon thought nothing to be learned and he's very pleased for the stage of the season we are at.

beensaidbefore
21-07-2017, 09:33 PM
Let's not get carried away. Its the first time the team has played together. Plenty positives, and by the sounds of things there's a striker just round the corner. Hope Shaw doesn't worry too much about the penalty.

Peevemor
21-07-2017, 09:33 PM
Lennon thought nothing to be learned and he's very pleased for the stage of the season we are at.

You believe that? :greengrin

Eyrie
21-07-2017, 10:01 PM
Let's not get carried away. Its the first time the team has played together. Plenty positives, and by the sounds of things there's a striker just round the corner. Hope Shaw doesn't worry too much about the penalty.

Someone just needs to tell Shaw what happened to the last Hibs teenager who missed the decisive kick in a penalty shoot out :wink:

I was surprised that Swanson was substituted as he and McGregor were our best players.

TelaStella
21-07-2017, 10:12 PM
As already mentioned the only real lesson from today is we need a finisher. Except from that the team looked really attacking and forward minded with great potential to come. Add commons and stokes in there and we'll be sorted for this season. Taking Murray off for Graham though? Poor I'd say Shaw would have been the right substitute at the time.

RossScott1991
21-07-2017, 10:16 PM
What I thought on today's performance.
Left winger and a goalscorer needed. Dylan is a lovely footballer and if we can get 28 league games out him I'd be happy. However he can't play on the left like he did a lot today.

If we can get stokes in and a creative direct winger I think we will be nearly there as we played some lovely stuff with no cutting edge. I still have a feeling even with Stokes we need another striker.

MyJo
21-07-2017, 10:49 PM

I don't think it's a lack of creativity, Murray Boyle and particularly Swanson done a lot of good things today, it's a lack of cutting edge. That striker to get on the end of the ball and put it in the net.

And that's exactly what Lennon is shopping for just now, he's admitted we haven't replaced Cummings yet but we are absolutely on the right track

Brightside
21-07-2017, 11:02 PM

3 players to come..... great performance

blackpoolhibs
21-07-2017, 11:13 PM

Hahahahahahaha well done for being the first. :thumbsup:Even although we have failed to win plenty of games when he was in the side.

Ozyhibby
21-07-2017, 11:14 PM
3 players to come..... great performance

Team played well, no doubt about it. These next 3 players are the most important. They are the ones we are looking to to change our fortune in front of goal. Our signings so far are all good business but none of them will give us that massive change in fortune when it come to scoring goals. Obviously I have no idea what Matulevicious is like yet but he won't be able to do it all himself. We need real quality up there.

blackpoolhibs
21-07-2017, 11:16 PM
Team played well, no doubt about it. These next 3 players are the most important. They are the ones we are looking to to change our fortune in front of goal. Our signings so far are all good business but none of them will give us that massive change in fortune when it come to scoring goals. Obviously I have no idea what Matulevicious is like yet but he won't be able to do it all himself. We need real quality up there.

Ex****inactly.

Not In The Know
21-07-2017, 11:26 PM
WINNING MENTALITY!!:agree: Ross County look a poor side, so to lose to them isn't very encouraging, we were the better team all over the park, hope we learn from this!

It was a draw FFS.

Not In The Know
21-07-2017, 11:29 PM
i reckon if we sign a mobile 6ft plus centre forward and a Stokes like forward we might do quite well this year.

BoomtownHibees
21-07-2017, 11:34 PM
i reckon if we sign a mobile 6ft plus centre forward and a Stokes like forward we might do quite well this year.

Have we no already done the first part?

GreenNWhiteArmy
21-07-2017, 11:53 PM
What I thought on today's performance.
Left winger and a goalscorer needed. Dylan is a lovely footballer and if we can get 28 league games out him I'd be happy. However he can't play on the left like he did a lot today.

If we can get stokes in and a creative direct winger I think we will be nearly there as we played some lovely stuff with no cutting edge. I still have a feeling even with Stokes we need another striker.

Sums it up perfectly for me.

I feel we need another striker because I don't rate Graham. If we get this one over the line for the Lithuanian midfielder then 3 more players I'd like. Stokes. A.N.Other striker plus a left winger and we'll be in great shape for the season ahead.

mjhibby
21-07-2017, 11:55 PM

Indeed we did. Jason tended to score in the bigger games but didn't impose himself against the so called lesser teams. It's not Jason we miss in these games but guys who can open up defences or do that wee bit of magic with the killer pass. Obviously we have dave hopefully stokes and then another. As Lennon said before the game he's treating it as a preseason game leading up to the Partick game. We looked a good side and don't forget we didn't lose the game over 90 mins and haven't lost a goal in the two ties. I think dave will make a difference with his link up play and as everybody and his granny has pointed out we need a goalscorer and another pacy winger to complete the squad. The type of guys we are linked with makes me think we are going to have a very good season and when you look at who wasn't playing last night our squad looks pretty good. Only goals missing from the performance but we showed,as if we needed to,that the top half of the spl is where we should be. Roll on the Partick game.

Brightside
21-07-2017, 11:56 PM
Murray wad top class tonight....if anyone things Jason could have done that job they are drunk.

mjhibby
22-07-2017, 12:00 AM

We certainly have.lets see what dave brings to the team.

snooky
22-07-2017, 12:05 AM
Lesson today is same as it has been since the year we got relegated.
We need to take our chances and score goals.

GreenNWhiteArmy
22-07-2017, 12:06 AM
Would add that in the first half hour in particular, Swanson looks like he's gonna be the business. Always looking for a yard of space to get a shot away.

Should have won that game but we'll recover the points and finish 2nd (worst case) and progress.

NAE NOOKIE
22-07-2017, 04:06 AM
I didn't see the game, so these are observations rather than criticisms, especially because by all accounts we played quite well.

I presume we played with one up front because we are short of strikers .... if NL trusts the quality of his players I cant see why he couldn't go with two up front, we will face tougher than Ross County this season.

Why did he feel the need to have Marvin Bartley in the line up? ...... Its like having 5 defenders on the park, what Marvin does he does well, but is what he does required in the starting line up for a game against Ross County, even away from home, especially since we had 4 allegedly quality defenders on the park, if NL feels they need a protective defensive midfielder in front of them at Ross County how many are they going to need at Parkhead or Pittodrie?

Its all the more mystifying that we only play with one striker when we have a shot shy midfield, that's two competitive games now and out of 4 goals the only one to have scored is the 18 year old kid ..... there's no doubting the quality of McGinn and McGeouch, but neither of them is prolific, lets hope Swanson solves that problem.

And finally .... even though the Arbroath game has now taken on a greater significance than it might have had if we had won the penalty shoot out I would love to see NL give Oli Shaw a start against them alongside Murray ..... we can surely risk two up top against Arbroath and I think after being a bit unlucky against Sunderland and Montrose and then having his penalty saved tonight Lennon needs to show he has confidence in him, even if its only to give him another shot in the next match ..... from what I've seen of Shaw his movement is good and he isn't bad at getting into good positions either, give him the chance of getting a goal in the next game before he is naturally replaced by new but more experienced guys coming in.

Tollhouse Hibee
22-07-2017, 04:23 AM
I didn't see the game, so these are observations rather than criticisms, especially because by all accounts we played quite well.

I presume we played with one up front because we are short of strikers .... if NL trusts the quality of his players I cant see why he couldn't go with two up front, we will face tougher than Ross County this season.

Why did he feel the need to have Marvin Bartley in the line up? ...... Its like having 5 defenders on the park, what Marvin does he does well, but is what he does required in the starting line up for a game against Ross County, even away from home, especially since we had 4 allegedly quality defenders on the park, if NL feels they need a protective defensive midfielder in front of them at Ross County how many are they going to need at Parkhead or Pittodrie?

Its all the more mystifying that we only play with one striker when we have a shot shy midfield, that's two competitive games now and out of 4 goals the only one to have scored is the 18 year old kid ..... there's no doubting the quality of McGinn and McGeouch, but neither of them is prolific, lets hope Swanson solves that problem.

And finally .... even though the Arbroath game has now taken on a greater significance than it might have had if we had won the penalty shoot out I would love to see NL give Oli Shaw a start against them alongside Murray ..... we can surely risk two up top against Arbroath and I think after being a bit unlucky against Sunderland and Montrose and then having his penalty saved tonight Lennon needs to show he has confidence in him, even if its only to give him another shot in the next match ..... from what I've seen of Shaw his movement is good and he isn't bad at getting into good positions either, give him the chance of getting a goal in the next game before he is naturally replaced by new but more experienced guys coming in.

I have said Big Marv is the player we need for the good teams - but i agree, if you want to go win a game positively, then he is the man to leave out, especially in games where we play 3 centre halfs. We need to go positive against arbroath, and go 2 up top, even play boyle thru the middle if we dont think Shaw is ready. Graham is an oxygen thief, and doesnt add anything to our team.

BSEJVT
22-07-2017, 05:05 AM
Offensively we looked good, the ball zipped around well but without any real cutting edge given the amount of ball we had

Defensively we were all over the place, worst I have seen in a long time

It is evident to me we need midfield replacements as well as Stokes, a Graham replacement and a left winger.

Hopefully the other Lith Guy coming over will fill one of those midfield roles but going back on my previous word I would now try and re-sign Fyvie

Libby Hibby
22-07-2017, 05:31 AM

We drew with them...penalties are a complete lottery.

We lacked a cutting edge 100% but to be fair, so did they.

Good all round performance and I'm so looking forward to the start of the league season.

bingo70
22-07-2017, 05:39 AM

I'm afraid the basis of your post is wrong imo. I watched it online on a poor stream but to me it was a 4-3-3. Boyle and Swanson were really high up the park.

As we had 3 up top Bartley did a good job covering.

I've not seen the stats but I don't think they could be called shot shy, first half hours r in particular we were raining the shots in.

When F. Murray and Shaw came on they both struggled, Murray in particular who I really like, looked like a boy playing in a mans game. I think it was the same with Shaw but think he only got a few minutes. Not against the idea of Shaw playing in the next game but hopefully we've got big dave and stokes in and ready to play by then.

Apart from that agree with every word 😂

neil7908
22-07-2017, 06:51 AM
I'm afraid the basis of your post is wrong imo. I watched it online on a poor stream but to me it was a 4-3-3. Boyle and Swanson were really high up the park.

As we had 3 up top Bartley did a good job covering.

I've not seen the stats but I don't think they could be called shot shy, first half hours r in particular we were raining the shots in.

When F. Murray and Shaw came on they both struggled, Murray in particular who I really like, looked like a boy playing in a mans game. I think it was the same with Shaw but think he only got a few minutes. Not against the idea of Shaw playing in the next game but hopefully we've got big dave and stokes in and ready to play by then.

Apart from that agree with every word 😂

I agree with this, Bartley was wasted in some games last season when we absolutely dominated against part timers. Now though we're playing SPL teams who will be much better at cutting through us. Neither Dylan or SJM are great tacklers so I think we'll see Marv in a fair bit this season, particularly away from home. We had 5 players positioned ahead of him, plus Stevenson and Whittaker getting forward so we weren't set up that defensively imo.

The big issue was upfront and although I like the idea of is going 4-3-3, Murray did look very isolated and he isn't big enough to win many headers.

Think the next few games will be about integrating the new signings, bringing in a few more players and hopefully getting everyone fit and used to playing together.

Of course I wanted us to win and the game has shown them flaws in our current squad but I'm not too concerned at the moment.

Allant1981
22-07-2017, 07:15 AM

except we didnt lose, we didnt get a bonus point thats all

makaveli1875
22-07-2017, 07:20 AM
Todays lesson , Hibs and Ross County both lost their top scorers from last season and look like will struggle to score goals unless an adequate replacement is brought in
We were by far the better team , defence was solid .. midfield were lively and moving the ball around quickly but it all fell down with the forwards .. if we had a Cummings or a Stokes up front last night we would have won the game quite comfortably

Allant1981
22-07-2017, 07:22 AM

sorry but why make observations about the game if you didnt watch it? bartley had a good game and broke up a lot of play and covered a lot when the full backs moved forward. The midfielders were definitely not shot shy tonight, they were having a pop from everywhere, just not many on target. based on the few minutes he was on last night shaw quite rightly didnt start last night, those centre halfs were big guys and would have bullied him all night so for me the tactics were fine and we came away without a defeat at a hard place to win

ian cruise
22-07-2017, 07:32 AM
I actually thought we needed to take earlier chances, too often we took one touch too many. Swanson looked good but there were a good few occasions where he could have made an earlier pass but instead ran in to trouble.

Murray snatched at chances, needs to be more composed in front of goal but I think we all recognised that's something he needs to improve, I'd imagine he himself does too,and I'm sure he will. His movement and rest of his play was really impressive.

Thought Whittaker and Boyle linked up well but would still like to see how Gray & Whittaker on the right looks. Thought McGeough was a bit wasted out on the left and would have preferred him in centre in place of Marvin.

Rocky was solid, thought Efe, in the main looked good too although there were a couple of moments, not any worse than our other defenders have done this preseason.

Disappointed not to get a win but it's in effect preseason, we looked good and will get better.

Aldo
22-07-2017, 07:32 AM
Is Big Dave/Sid available/eligible to play in next league cup game??

southsider
22-07-2017, 07:33 AM
Ok, Graham is slow but he sent a wonderful header across the box but our midfield where caught dreaming. Also Boyle should score in the last minute. Watched on TV and think we are a better team than last year. With AS we will improve further.

familyman
22-07-2017, 08:01 AM
Great all round team performance just lacking that clinical edge.

All we need is a goalscorer and we'll be top 6 easy.

Well it is too early to be too negative ,but you can see a predictability of approach and for one player in particular a too casual approach again in defence ,the penalty shoot out did for me at least show a lack of conviction with some pretty weak efforts..The team flowed pretty well and new faces will need to bed in ,Ross County were able to block us as we continued to adopt a fairly predictable style ...When we have two more in attack we can be far more direct .and hopefully more clever runs especially as we now have 2/3 players with clever footwork in midfield...I thought Martin Boyle looked impressive .It will be interesting to see if our left back situation alters as SW is now in place and he is capable of breaking into the box which we need more of...Early days and lessons to be learnt..good to see NL has still that passion though. We are nearly there...It will be good though if Paul Hanlon can return sooner rather than later....:agree:

Not In The Know
22-07-2017, 08:01 AM

I leftout the smiley on purpose. Folk need to look at the bigger picture. Lennon is obviously changing the way we play this year. We will look to play a lot more football, be patient and break teams down. Last year was win ugly or else.

The Leith Dutch
22-07-2017, 09:44 AM
I have said Big Marv is the player we need for the good teams - but i agree, if you want to go win a game positively, then he is the man to leave out, especially in games where we play 3 centre halfs. We need to go positive against arbroath, and go 2 up top, even play boyle thru the middle if we dont think Shaw is ready. Graham is an oxygen thief, and doesnt add anything to our team.

I agree with pretty much everything you say and then you put ridiculous offensive ***** like the bit in bold.
I'm not a particular fan of Graham but he's an honest professional who puts in a shift despite having limitations.

No ****ing need for that comment and please don't come back saying it was said in jest.

SirDavidsNapper
22-07-2017, 09:51 AM
I think big Dave will be a very good addition in these kind of games.

blackpoolhibs
22-07-2017, 09:52 AM
Murray wad top class tonight....if anyone things Jason could have done that job they are drunk.

Murray was very good in the first half, and not very good in the 2nd. I don't think Cummings is that good a footballer, but he does have the knack of scoring goals, mostly when he's sober though. :wink:

I like Murray, and the time to judge him is when he's got a partner up front with him, Cummings needed one and Murray will need one too.

emerald green
22-07-2017, 09:53 AM
WE NEED A GOALSCORER

It's as simple as that.

Sorry I disagree, but it's not as simple as that.

Hibs, as a team, just don't seem to score as many goals as they should, given their domination and amount of possession of the ball in a lot of matches would suggest.

Successful teams have lots of players capable of scoring goals. Defenders, midfield and strikers.

snooky
22-07-2017, 09:55 AM
Ok, Graham is slow but he sent a wonderful header across the box but our midfield where caught dreaming. Also Boyle should score in the last minute. Watched on TV and think we are a better team than last year. With AS we will improve further.

No need for some of the things that are said about Graham. He may not be everyone's cup of tea but, come on guys.