PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Robertson NHC

Navids Numpties
21-07-2017, 05:47 PM
Ex Dundee united player, just signed for Liverpool for 10 million

Del Boy
21-07-2017, 05:48 PM
Good move for him. Great young player with a brilliant attitude.

Think United had a sell on % so be a few quid in it for them too

Allant1981
21-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Good move for him. Great young player with a brilliant attitude.

Think United had a sell on % so be a few quid in it for them too

sure i read its about £800k they get

hibsbollah
21-07-2017, 06:28 PM
My mate's cousin. I agree with all the furore about 'obscene' wages the premier league pays, but on the other hand its good to see a normal Scottish kid getting a life changing amount of money from his own pure talent.

Onceinawhile
21-07-2017, 06:34 PM
My mate's cousin. I agree with all the furore about 'obscene' wages the premier league pays, but on the other hand its good to see a normal Scottish kid getting a life changing amount of money from his own pure talent.

Read that his mum and dad look after his cash and he gets pocket money 😂

Mon Dieu4
21-07-2017, 07:45 PM
Good on him, Celtc released him for being too wee as a youth, he's kept plugging away from the lower leagues and look where he is now

Mibbes Aye
21-07-2017, 08:29 PM

I think he's a really good player. Joy to watch - he's enthusiastic and has an attacking sense.

I hope he makes the most of this transfer and I hope Liverpool works out for him.

Even if it doesn't, he will do well somewhere else, I'm in no doubt. Arsenal were interested in him and he has the quality to play for a team who play ECL football.

I'm normally cynical but he's got every chance of a slot in an ECL team. Hope he gets it. Football being football, he will get to the level he deserves.

frazeHFC
21-07-2017, 09:02 PM
I think its a good piece of business by Liverpool. They've been crying out for a new left back and Robertson's certainly got the talent.

Sean1875
21-07-2017, 09:09 PM
Good on him - always seems like a decent down to earth guy, hope he does well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
21-07-2017, 09:13 PM
We need good Scottish players at top end clubs down south. Good luck to the guy.

Haymaker
21-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Good lad, he'll learn a lot under klopp. Then move on to a club that wins trophies.

GlesgaeHibby
21-07-2017, 09:42 PM
Great move for the lad, and great signing for Liverpool who have long been needing a left back with Milner (who did well in what isn't his natural position) slotting in at LB because Moreno wasn't up to it.

Tierney is also the real deal, and it's only a matter of time before he gets a big move. Could see him at Man U or Arsenal.

Squealing pig
21-07-2017, 10:23 PM
4 years ago playing non league Scottish football. Just shows you where hard work ends up

zitelli62
21-07-2017, 10:34 PM
Good luck son you deserve it well done

JimBHibees
21-07-2017, 10:34 PM
Good lad, he'll learn a lot under klopp. Then move on to a club that wins trophies.

Good dig. :greengrin

Sweet Left Peg
21-07-2017, 10:49 PM
I'm pleased for the guy. He's worked hard but also has genuine ability. Robertson and Tierney are real talents and I think that Strachan should play both of them on the left hand side - they would terrorise teams if played together and create a lot of space inside with their overlapping.

hibeg
21-07-2017, 11:01 PM
In the EPL 10 million for a player of his quality is a bargain. I know he is a full back , but so is Kyle Walker. (50 million to Man City). i am really surprised that Liverpool got him for that price.

SteveHFC
21-07-2017, 11:14 PM
I'm pleased for the guy. He's worked hard but also has genuine ability. Robertson and Tierney are real talents and I think that Strachan should play both of them on the left hand side - they would terrorise teams if played together and create a lot of space inside with their overlapping.

This or even Robertson on the left and Tierney on the right. Tierney has been excellent at right back for Scotland.

Scouse Hibee
22-07-2017, 12:14 AM
Ex Dundee united player, just signed for Liverpool for 10 million

Underwhelmed, although Liverpool need a new fullback I was hoping for a far better player than Robertson. Never in a million years is he the calibre of player required to compete for champions league places. Another bargain bucket buy from Liverpool.

cabbageandribs1875
22-07-2017, 12:30 AM
Underwhelmed, although Liverpool new a fullback I was hoping for a far better player than Robertson. Never in a million years is he the calibre of player required to compete for champions league places. Another bargain bucket buy from Liverpool.

oh oh :hilarious

p.s. i've honestly never heard of the player

CMurdoch
22-07-2017, 12:37 AM
Read that his mum and dad look after his cash and he gets pocket money 😂

Gary O Connors mum and dad should have done the same

HibbiesandtheBaddies
22-07-2017, 12:42 AM
First decent full back the scallies have had since Steve Nicol.

Allant1981
22-07-2017, 07:13 AM
oh oh :hilarious

p.s. i've honestly never heard of the player

have you nevr watched a scotland game in the last few years?

Since90+2
22-07-2017, 08:28 AM
He's a decent player and for that price it's a good signing.

Liverpool are now seen as a second tier European club and they can't attract the very top players. Their fans still live in the 80s when they were at the piccacle of football, they are the Aberdeen of English football.

Scouse Hibee
22-07-2017, 10:55 AM

Liverpool are now seen as a second tier European club and they can't attract the very top players. Their fans still live in the 80s when they were at the piccacle of football, they are the Aberdeen of English football.

Hahaha very good, the last time they won anything was the 80's right enough.

Since90+2
22-07-2017, 11:07 AM
Hahaha very good, the last time they won anything was the 80's right enough.

Liverpool have not won the league in about 30 years. In a English terms they are now behind clubs like Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City. In European terms they are relatively small fry.

Scouse Hibee
22-07-2017, 11:32 AM
Liverpool have not won the league in about 30 years. In a English terms they are now behind clubs like Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City. In European terms they are relatively small fry.

Still one of the biggest clubs in the world mate,whether you like it or not. Liverpool fans know exactly their failings. Don't really get why you would criticise a set of fans for believing in their club despite the lack of recent success.

Mibbes Aye
22-07-2017, 01:54 PM
This or even Robertson on the left and Tierney on the right. Tierney has been excellent at right back for Scotland.

He's played on the left of a back three as well. If the national team goes three at the back then Robertson out wide and him on the left of the three is an enticing prospect.

22-07-2017, 02:11 PM
Good luck to him, a young lad living the dream, hopefully this is the start of great things for him :thumbsup:

Haymaker
22-07-2017, 04:20 PM
Good dig. :greengrin

Couldn't help myself

ekhibee
22-07-2017, 04:27 PM
Still one of the biggest clubs in the world mate,whether you like it or not. Liverpool fans know exactly their failings. Don't really get why you would criticise a set of fans for believing in their club despite the lack of recent success.
Well maybe if you didn't take such a snotty reaction to Robertson signing for Liverpool you wouldn't get the reaction you did. He's a good player, one of the best to come out of Scotland for years, it's a shame you don't think he's good enough for your team.

Scouse Hibee
22-07-2017, 04:46 PM
Well maybe if you didn't take such a snotty reaction to Robertson signing for Liverpool you wouldn't get the reaction you did. He's a good player, one of the best to come out of Scotland for years, it's a shame you don't think he's good enough for your team.

You're another one that thinks fans have no right to express an opinion on a player their club has signed?

To be perfectly honest being the best player to come out of Scotland for years is hardly an adulation as there sadly hasn't been that many success stories for years. I don't doubt his ability but feel he is well below the level for Liverpool to compete as they want to, that's just my observation of him not a snotty reaction. Pretty similar to the same observations we post on Hibs signings is it not? Plenty saying Oli Shaw not good or ready for our team yet, that's not being snotty either is it?
Robertson never looked that great in a Hull team either, mind you Liverpool have already a dreadful left back on their books so you never know. Nothing would please me more than Liverpool unearthing Scottish talent like they used to, I would love Robertson to be one of them and prove me wrong,I'm just not convinced he will be.

Is It On....
22-07-2017, 05:27 PM
Good on him, Celtc released him for being too wee as a youth, he's kept plugging away from the lower leagues and look where he is now

I thought he was only at Queen's Park for about a year before signing for DUFC? Hope he gets some of the Klopp magic to turn him into a world class player.

Mibbes Aye
22-07-2017, 05:43 PM
You're another one that thinks fans have no right to express an opinion on a player their club has signed?

To be perfectly honest being the best player to come out of Scotland for years is hardly an adulation as there sadly hasn't been that many success stories for years. I don't doubt his ability but feel he is well below the level for Liverpool to compete as they want to, that's just my observation of him not a snotty reaction. Pretty similar to the same observations we post on Hibs signings is it not? Plenty saying Oli Shaw not good or ready for our team yet, that's not being snotty either is it?
Robertson never looked that great in a Hull team either, mind you Liverpool have already a dreadful left back on their books so you never know. Nothing would please me more than Liverpool unearthing Scottish talent like they used to, I would love Robertson to be one of them and prove me wrong,I'm just not convinced he will be.

Robertson's decent, I hope he proves you wrong - which will make us both happy I guess! :greengrin

pacorosssco
22-07-2017, 11:29 PM

Im no Liverpool fan but they are still at big table. Real Madrid never won EC for decades Man utd went same without a league title. Liverpool are a club few footballers turn down. They finished above united last year and have global fan base. No small fry. Well done to Robertson on move we need more with his talent in national side. If he was english his fee would have been 30 million

hibsbollah
21-08-2017, 03:40 PM
Watched the highlights of Liverpools win at the weekend, and Robertson was probably MOTM, filling a desperate need at left back.

Lancs Harp
21-08-2017, 03:48 PM
Watched the highlights of Liverpools win at the weekend, and Robertson was probably MOTM, filling a desperate need at left back.

From the action I saw and reports I read it sounded like he had a great game. Got forward well and got some really cracking crosses in. He'll face greater defensive challenges than saturday but he made a great start this weekend.

GlesgaeHibby
23-08-2017, 08:36 PM
Underwhelmed, although Liverpool need a new fullback I was hoping for a far better player than Robertson. Never in a million years is he the calibre of player required to compete for champions league places. Another bargain bucket buy from Liverpool.

Did pretty well at the weekend getting MOTM in his premiership debut.

frazeHFC
23-08-2017, 08:46 PM
I see Klopp preferred Moreno tonight. Hopefully Robertson gets in the team consistently in the league, don't rate Moreno.

gogsy23
23-08-2017, 08:55 PM
Moreno is the weak link in the Liverpool team. Ive no idea how he gets a game, must have pics of somone!

hibsbollah
23-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Moreno is the weak link in the Liverpool team. Ive no idea how he gets a game, must have pics of somone!

He's an excellent crosser and typical modern full back (ie-unable to defend properly) :-)
Klopp will rotate the two left backs based on if he wants to play an attacking style or a mad, all out attacking style.

calumhibee1
23-08-2017, 09:32 PM

Agreed. Liverpool aren't a footballing superpower and can't go out and sign world class players, it's that simple. They maybe could have signed a more exotic name as such, but even then, it would have just been someone from Celta Vigo or something along those lines as nobody from any of the biggest clubs in the world would go there.

Haymaker
23-08-2017, 11:27 PM
He's an excellent crosser and typical modern full back (ie-unable to defend properly) :-)
Klopp will rotate the two left backs based on if he wants to play an attacking style or a mad, all out attacking style.

This.

Scouse Hibee
24-08-2017, 05:52 AM
Agreed. Liverpool aren't a footballing superpower and can't go out and sign world class players, it's that simple. They maybe could have signed a more exotic name as such, but even then, it would have just been someone from Celta Vigo or something along those lines as nobody from any of the biggest clubs in the world would go there.

Haha what a load of pish.

Cabbage East
24-08-2017, 06:34 AM
Haha what a load of pish.

It's not pish at all. He's right.

Iain G
24-08-2017, 06:38 AM

I also agree!

Scouse Hibee
24-08-2017, 06:43 AM

Total nonsense to suggest that Liverpool can't attract or sign world class players (whatever that definition actually means).

Cabbage East
24-08-2017, 06:51 AM
Total nonsense to suggest that Liverpool can't attract or sign world class players (whatever that definition actually means).

It's not the 80s anymore. Liverpool aren't on the same level as teams like Barcelona, Bayern etc.

Scouse Hibee
24-08-2017, 06:57 AM
It's not the 80s anymore. Liverpool aren't on the same level as teams like Barcelona, Bayern etc.

Still big enough to attract players though. I think you will find Liverpool's last CL win was well beyond the 80's too!

calumhibee1
24-08-2017, 07:12 AM

OK, if it's pish when did Liverpool last sign a world class player? A player that would get into nearly every team in the world at the time they signed him (not the time they sold him before you suggest Suarez or Coutinho).

FRes Hibbie
24-08-2017, 07:28 AM
OK, if it's pish when did Liverpool last sign a world class player? A player that would get into nearly every team in the world at the time they signed him (not the time they sold him before you suggest Suarez or Coutinho).

Torres? Although I agree with the broader point.

gogsy23
24-08-2017, 07:28 AM
Its not always buying world class. Gerrard suarez, coutinho have developed into world class players at anfield. Thats better than overspending in my book.

Phil MaGlass
24-08-2017, 07:36 AM
Its not always buying world class. Gerrard suarez, coutinho have developed into world class players at anfield. Thats better than overspending in my book.

He´s not talking about bringing players through or players developing hes talking signing.
Oh but I did enjoy Torres.

superfurryhibby
24-08-2017, 07:37 AM

Liverpool never "unearthed" guys like Dalglish, Wark, Hansen and Souness. They took them on when they had all played well for other teams in the respective top flights ( tbf, not sure if Middlesboro were 1st division when Souness signed). Maybe Stevie Nicol and Gary Gillespie would fit the unearthed tag, having been signed from lower tier Ayr Utd and Falkirk.

Fair enough comment on Robertson, he is an EPL player, but hardly has a stellar profile. This is his chance and 10 million is small beer for a team like Liverpool. Good to see a Scottish laddie doing well, hope he establishes himself at Anfield.

Iain G
24-08-2017, 07:37 AM

Gerrard was never world class!

Cabbage East
24-08-2017, 07:43 AM
Gerrard was never world class!

The slip against Chelsea was world class in terms of how funny it was.

Scouse Hibee
24-08-2017, 07:56 AM
Liverpool never "unearthed" guys like Dalglish, Wark, Hansen and Souness. They took them on when they had all played well for other teams in the respective top flights ( tbf, not sure if Middlesboro were 1st division when Souness signed). Maybe Stevie Nicol and Gary Gillespie would fit the unearthed tag, having been signed from lower tier Ayr Utd and Falkirk.

Fair enough comment on Robertson, he is an EPL player, but hardly has a stellar profile. This is his chance and 10 million is small beer for a team like Liverpool. Good to see a Scottish laddie doing well, hope he establishes himself at Anfield.

Alan Hansen aye?

calumhibee1
24-08-2017, 08:09 AM

This is very true.

superfurryhibby
24-08-2017, 08:56 AM
Alan Hansen aye?

Aye. Played for Partick Thistle in the Scottish Premier League before his move to Liverpool? Just like I said, top flight football.

Scouse Hibee
24-08-2017, 10:33 AM
Aye. Played for Partick Thistle in the Scottish Premier League before his move to Liverpool? Just like I said, top flight football.

That made me laugh almost as much as the Liverpool claims, Alan Hansen the top class player with Partick lol. Known throughout the world so he was
As I said Liverpool unearthed some great Scottish players some relatively unknown outside Scotland and moulded them into a great team.

LNHibs
24-08-2017, 11:38 AM

Very few teams buy ready made ''World Class Players''. Liverpool in recent years have preferred signing elite European players ... Sadio Mane would walk into nearly any side on the planet

monktonharp
24-08-2017, 12:33 PM
Good luck to him, a young lad living the dream, hopefully this is the start of great things for him :thumbsup:this is a magnificent move for him, good luck. earlier comment re-silly money in the English leagues, I am one that does find it obscene, but hey ho

superfurryhibby
24-08-2017, 12:33 PM
That made me laugh almost as much as the Liverpool claims, Alan Hansen the top class player with Partick lol. Known throughout the world so he was
As I said Liverpool unearthed some great Scottish players some relatively unknown outside Scotland and moulded them into a great team.

No you never said. You said unearthed and I disputed, without attempting to be a smart erse, that that was rubbish and outlined the credentials of some very prominent Scots who made Liverpool the great team they were in the late 70's-mid 80's.

Unearthed Dalglish who had been a phenomenal player for Celtic for at least six seasons, excelling at international and European levels or John Wark who had won the PFA of the year award whilst winning the UEFA cup and finishing second in the English Leagues for 2 seasons in a row?

Hansen was already a very good footballer, like I said he was playing in the first team in the top flight of Scottish football and had been widely recognised as a fine talent. Souness had been a professional footballer for 7 years, played for Spurs, Middlesboro and Scotland.

Liverpool made better players of three of the four I mentioned, but they never unearthed any of them. I granted you Nicol and Gillespie, neither had played in the top flight of any league and went south as players without much profile.

I did like Liverpool in the era mentioned, because the Scottish players were at the heart of an awesome side and football was less tainted by over exposure and greed. As for now, Liverpool - I still prefer them over moneybags Chelsea or Man City etc, but they are smaller fry than they were. Capable of success, but seemingly unable to build on or sustain it.

Scouse Hibee
24-08-2017, 01:08 PM
No you never said. You said unearthed and I disputed, without attempting to be a smart erse, that that was rubbish and outlined the credentials of some very prominent Scots who made Liverpool the great team they were in the late 70's-mid 80's.

Unearthed Dalglish who had been a phenomenal player for Celtic for at least six seasons, excelling at international and European levels or John Wark who had won the PFA of the year award whilst winning the UEFA cup and finishing second in the English Leagues for 2 seasons in a row?

Hansen was already a very good footballer, like I said he was playing in the first team in the top flight of Scottish football and had been widely recognised as a fine talent. Souness had been a professional footballer for 7 years, played for Spurs, Middlesboro and Scotland.

Liverpool made better players of three of the four I mentioned, but they never unearthed any of them. I granted you Nicol and Gillespie, neither had played in the top flight of any league and went south as players without much profile.

I did like Liverpool in the era mentioned, because the Scottish players were at the heart of an awesome side and football was less tainted by over exposure and greed. As for now, Liverpool - I still prefer them over moneybags Chelsea or Man City etc, but they are smaller fry than they were. Capable of success, but seemingly unable to build on or sustain it.

So we unearthed some unknown Scottish players and turned them into greats as I said including Hansen.
And you well know that I am aware of the Kings great credentials before Liverpool. As for John Wark another who I include as pretty much the finished article before Liverpool. Oh yeah Billy Liddell another great we unearthed born in Scotland.

superfurryhibby
24-08-2017, 01:37 PM
So we unearthed some unknown Scottish players and turned them into greats as I said including Hansen.
And you well know that I am aware of the Kings great credentials before Liverpool. As for John Wark another who I include as pretty much the finished article before Liverpool. Oh yeah Billy Liddell another great we unearthed born in Scotland.

Liverpool gave Hansen the platform he needed to become the player he became. He was far from unknown, a talent like his was always destined for greatness, which is why he went straight from Partick Thistle to the Anfield first team.

He was not 17, he was 22 and a player who had played more than a 100 first team games. He still had a heck of a lot to prove and learn at Anfield, but he was a already a diamond, just one that needed polishing. Being a smart laddie, Hansen saw beyond the Old Firm and was wise enough to want to be tested in a better league.

Billy Liddell was before my time, but he was clearly an impressive footballer, he must have been to restrict Willie Ormand too so few caps whilst he was in his heyday. Maybe the likes of Ron Yeats would be a better anaology to Hansen, straight from Dundee Utd, at a similar age, and into the captaincy at Liverpool. Dundee Utd were by far the second best team on Tayside at the time and probably (definitely) had a lower profile at that time than Thistle did in the mid-late 70's.

Salt N Sauzee
24-08-2017, 01:41 PM

The kind of patter you see the "LadBible" churn out...:rolleyes:

Iain G
24-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Very few teams buy ready made ''World Class Players''. Liverpool in recent years have preferred signing elite European players ... Sadio Mane would walk into nearly any side on the planet

Aye, but only if Martin Boyle hadn't recovered from his ankle injury :greengrin

Since90+2
24-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Sadio Mane is absolutely brilliant and not far off world class , he will be away from Liverpool soon enough as they simply cant retain their best players once they reach a certain level and the very elite clubs get interested. It happened with Suarez , it will likely happen with Coutinho and it will happen with Mane.

Liverpool look good under Klopp and I think they will have a good run in the Premier League and potentially in the Champions League if they get a kind draw but the point people are making is that they are no longer considered a very top European Club. They are ,at the very best, only the 4 biggest club in England currently and miles behind the true European giants.

Pretty Boy
24-08-2017, 02:09 PM

I heard Ian Callaghan speak recently and he put Billy Liddell behind only Dalglish and Gerrard in his all time Liverpool greats list.

Not really relevant to anything on this thread but thought it was high praise indeed and a bit reading suggests he may not be far off the mark.

Mcpakeisgod
24-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Massive club historically, don't have the same pull they used to have, but if they stand firm with coutinho it's a massive signal of intent. Hope they get back to challenging for the league on a regular basis

Lancs Harp
24-08-2017, 02:37 PM
Personally I think Liverpool should take the silly money on offer from Barca and reinvest it in areas they need investing in, ie the back four. They wont make a real challenge for the title with a back four like that. Im sure Klopp recognises that but seems to be struggling to find an answer, sort of Arsene Wengereasque. Both Liverpool and Arsenal are great going forward at times but are both flawed at the back (and midfield defensively in Arsenals case).

Pete
24-08-2017, 02:40 PM

Let's be honest, the food chain nowadays is Southampton, on to Liverpool and then somewhere like Barcelona or City if they're any good.

Lancs Harp
24-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Let's be honest, the food chain nowadays is Southampton, on to Liverpool and then somewhere like Barcelona or City if they're any good.

or Juve then onto greatness at Hibs :wink:

MWHIBBIES
24-08-2017, 02:48 PM
Gerrard was never world class!:faf:

That is total and utter nonsense and I am no Liverpool supporter. Gerrard was undoubtedly one of the best in his position and probably the best in his prime. His performance in Istanbul was incredible against a top Milan side who were much better than Liverpool.

MWHIBBIES
24-08-2017, 02:52 PM
Let's be honest, the food chain nowadays is Southampton, on to Liverpool and then somewhere like Barcelona or City if they're any good.Not 1 player has taken that path so I'm not sure you are being honest. Of the players Liverpool have signed from Southampton, all except Lambert are still there. Sterling isn't better than Salah, Firminho or Mane who were signed to replace him. No great loss there.

Suarez went to Barca who were competing for and won the treble, hardly makes Liverpool a small club.

JimBHibees
24-08-2017, 02:57 PM
:faf:

That is total and utter nonsense and I am no Liverpool supporter. Gerrard was undoubtedly one of the best in his position and probably the best in his prime. His performance in Istanbul was incredible against a top Milan side who were much better than Liverpool.

Disagree dont think he was world class think his international career was pretty average to be honest and cant ever remember him having a decent tournament. Very good footballer but below world class.

Pete
24-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Not 1 player has taken that path so I'm not sure you are being honest. Of the players Liverpool have signed from Southampton, all except Lambert are still there. Sterling isn't better than Salah, Firminho or Mane who were signed to replace him. No great loss there.

Suarez went to Barca who were competing for and won the treble, hardly makes Liverpool a small club.

Maybe not the exact path but all I'm doing is using specific teams to demonstrate the pecking order.

Teams like Arsenal or Liverpool can't hold onto a player if one of the top, top teams such as City, Madrid or PSG want them.

MWHIBBIES
24-08-2017, 03:27 PM
Maybe not the exact path but all I'm doing is using specific teams to demonstrate the pecking order.

Teams like Arsenal or Liverpool can't hold onto a player if one of the top, top teams such as City, Madrid or PSG want them.How on earth are City and PSG in the bracket with Madrid?

If we are talking clubs size, Liverpool and Arsenal are easily bigger than City and PSG. Money wise those clubs are ahead but they are no where near the level of Madrid in appeal.

Bayern, Barcelona and Real Madrid are the big 3, everyone else is below that.

Right now Arsenal are keeping Sanchez and Liverpool are keeping Coutinho despite those clubs wanting them.

Since90+2
24-08-2017, 03:29 PM
Liverpool are not an easily bigger club than PSG or Man City at this current time. That's madness to suggest they are.

MWHIBBIES
24-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Liverpool are not an easily bigger club than PSG or Man City at this current time. That's madness to suggest they are.No, money wise and current success wise those clubs are ahead. They have both only existed for 6/7 years though, Liverpool have been successful for decades and have more success than both of those clubs put together. Same with Arsenal.

During the 80s were Aberdeen bigger than Celtic and Rangers just because they were having a successful period? No chance.

Pete
24-08-2017, 03:35 PM
Liverpool are not an easily bigger club than PSG or Man City at this current time. That's madness to suggest they are.

:agree: crazy talk.

It's all about the dollar bill and no amount of "Scousers" from Delhi who end every sentence with YNWA will change that.

Liverpool and Arsenal are in the second tier now.

Since90+2
24-08-2017, 03:36 PM
Liverpool have not won their domestic league for almost 3 decades.

Manchester City and particularly PSG are far bigger clubs at this current time , in the 80s Liverpool were without a doubt bigger but not in the current era.

Iain G
24-08-2017, 03:36 PM
:faf:

Would he have gotten into the midfield of a World best XI during his playing career?

Good player on his day but never world class.

Sylar
24-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Given time and the coaching staff at Liverpool, Robertson could well be transformed into one of the better Scottish footballers around just now. He's already a really good defender by the standard of our national side, but playing at that level (which he's more than capable of IMO) will aid in his development. I disagree with Scouse that he's a bargain bucket purchase - he's a shrewd capture by a coaching staff that can see what he has.

This notion that Liverpool aren't a global footballing name that can attract players is just silly, and the argument of signing players who are world renowned is a little off-focus for me. How many of the world's best players have been cultivated in the Premier League? They maybe weren't world class when they signed for a particular team, but many of them have been developed by a good scouting/training programme at the respective clubs and have gone on to be superstars of the global stage - signing a 'world recognised player' isn't always a winning move anyway - Ibrahimovic displayed his class last year at Man Utd, but he didn't exactly transform their fortunes, did he? Liverpool are building a good young team just now, and they have arguably something far better than one elite player - they have Jurgen Klopp...and the ability to attract one of the world's best young managers is every bit (if not more) important as a bank-busting player signing.

And just to close out, Steven Gerrard was well and truly in the bracket of 'world class' - those putting him down a notch or two because he never had a great international tournament are a little short-sighted. How much international success can you truly say Ronaldo or Messi have had? He had one of the best passing games in the business, knew how to manage his players around him and was one of the better tacklers in the game.

And for the record, I say all of the above as someone who's nowhere near a fan of Liverpool!

MWHIBBIES
24-08-2017, 04:08 PM
Would he have gotten into the midfield of a World best XI during his playing career?

Good player on his day but never world class.

3rd in the ballon d'or in 2005
Uefa club footballer of the year 2005
Euro team of the tournament 2012
Uefa team of the year 2005, 2006, 2007
FIFA world XI 2007, 2008, 2009
PFA Premier league team of the year 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014

Does that answer your question? World class player on his day, no question.

calumhibee1
24-08-2017, 04:41 PM
No, money wise and current success wise those clubs are ahead. They have both only existed for 6/7 years though, Liverpool have been successful for decades and have more success than both of those clubs put together. Same with Arsenal.

During the 80s were Aberdeen bigger than Celtic and Rangers just because they were having a successful period? No chance.

Liverpool have been successful for decades? For a club that are being labelled as being up there with the biggest by some I'd suggest they've been UNsuccesful for decades.

gogsy23
24-08-2017, 05:03 PM
Well said 👏👏

Given time and the coaching staff at Liverpool, Robertson could well be transformed into one of the better Scottish footballers around just now. He's already a really good defender by the standard of our national side, but playing at that level (which he's more than capable of IMO) will aid in his development. I disagree with Scouse that he's a bargain bucket purchase - he's a shrewd capture by a coaching staff that can see what he has.

This notion that Liverpool aren't a global footballing name that can attract players is just silly, and the argument of signing players who are world renowned is a little off-focus for me. How many of the world's best players have been cultivated in the Premier League? They maybe weren't world class when they signed for a particular team, but many of them have been developed by a good scouting/training programme at the respective clubs and have gone on to be superstars of the global stage - signing a 'world recognised player' isn't always a winning move anyway - Ibrahimovic displayed his class last year at Man Utd, but he didn't exactly transform their fortunes, did he? Liverpool are building a good young team just now, and they have arguably something far better than one elite player - they have Jurgen Klopp...and the ability to attract one of the world's best young managers is every bit (if not more) important as a bank-busting player signing.

And just to close out, Steven Gerrard was well and truly in the bracket of 'world class' - those putting him down a notch or two because he never had a great international tournament are a little short-sighted. How much international success can you truly say Ronaldo or Messi have had? He had one of the best passing games in the business, knew how to manage his players around him and was one of the better tacklers in the game.

And for the record, I say all of the above as someone who's nowhere near a fan of Liverpool!

Scouse Hibee
24-08-2017, 05:04 PM
3rd in the ballon d'or in 2005
Uefa club footballer of the year 2005
Euro team of the tournament 2012
Uefa team of the year 2005, 2006, 2007
FIFA world XI 2007, 2008, 2009
PFA Premier league team of the year 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014

Does that answer your question? World class player on his day, no question.

Laughable to even question it to be honest. Can't be that many World Class players in the World if Stevie G doesn't meet the criteria.

Sylar
24-08-2017, 05:06 PM
Liverpool have been successful for decades? For a club that are being labelled as being up there with the biggest by some I'd suggest they've been UNsuccesful for decades.

Have a look at their honours list - perhaps in the last decade you can argue they've not had a great deal of success, but since 2000 they've won a Champions League, European Supercup, 2 x FA Cups and 3 x League Cups, and 2 x Charity Shields.

They're consistently challenging at the top of the league, they're pretty much always in Europe and they've developed some excellent players...

If that was our record since 2000, I'd be pretty damn pleased.

Scouse Hibee
24-08-2017, 05:07 PM

Manchester City and particularly PSG are far bigger clubs at this current time , in the 80s Liverpool were without a doubt bigger but not in the current era.

Manchester City are not a bigger club than Liverpool on the world stage, nowhere near it.

SRHibs
24-08-2017, 05:09 PM
Have a look at their honours list - perhaps in the last decade you can argue they've not had a great deal of success, but since 2000 they've won a Champions League, European Supercup, 2 x FA Cups and 3 x League Cups, and 2 x Charity Shields.

They're consistently challenging at the top of the league, they're pretty much always in Europe and they've developed some excellent players...

If that was our record since 2000, I'd be pretty damn pleased.

But they haven't won't the EPL, because there are least 4 bigger and better teams than them.

Pete
24-08-2017, 05:11 PM
Manchester City are not a bigger club than Liverpool on the world stage, nowhere near it.

"Bigger club on the world stage"...What does that even mean?

The only stages that matter are the competitions they are playing in and the players they can attract. City are bigger right now I'm afraid.

Top four is like a trophy for Liverpool nowadays but the big boys see second place as failure. 😒

Sylar
24-08-2017, 05:12 PM
But they haven't won't the EPL, because there are least 4 bigger and better teams than them.

I'd disagree with that - they consistently come up against teams who have had Arab/Russian/Asian money pumped into them, and it's not a level playing field. While they're not exactly poor, Liverpool can't financially compete with the Chelsea's, Man City's and even Arsenal's of this world, because they don't have a sugar daddy behind them.

Yet in spite of that, they continue to be ever-present at the top level of the league, and ever-present in Europe.

Leicester won the league last year, but that doesn't define them as being one of the most successful clubs in world football.

frazeHFC
24-08-2017, 05:20 PM

We must have very differing views on what makes a club big. City have had a lot of recent success but in terms of the size of club (history, fan base, global appeal - as in selling out 80,000 seater stadiums full of Liverpool 'fans' in Asia, Australia etc every year) I'd say Liverpool are far bigger than City.

Obviously its the success that counts though..

HoboHarry
24-08-2017, 05:29 PM
I'd disagree with that - they consistently come up against teams who have had Arab/Russian/Asian money pumped into them, and it's not a level playing field. While they're not exactly poor, Liverpool can't financially compete with the Chelsea's, Man City's and even Arsenal's of this world, because they don't have a sugar daddy behind them.

Yet in spite of that, they continue to be ever-present at the top level of the league, and ever-present in Europe.

Leicester won the league last year, but that doesn't define them as being one of the most successful clubs in world football.
I don't think Robert Kraft is worried about where his next meal is coming from......

Haymaker
24-08-2017, 05:42 PM
I don't think Robert Kraft is worried about where his next meal is coming from......

I'm sure he doesn't worry about it but what's that got to do with Liverpool?

HoboHarry
24-08-2017, 05:55 PM
I'm sure he doesn't worry about it but what's that got to do with Liverpool?
My bad - confusing him with John W Henry. He is the current owner correct?

Haymaker
24-08-2017, 05:58 PM
My bad - confusing him with John W Henry. He is the current owner correct?

:agree: He and his sports investment fund.

Scouse Hibee
24-08-2017, 06:00 PM
"Bigger club on the world stage"...What does that even mean?

The only stages that matter are the competitions they are playing in and the players they can attract. City are bigger right now I'm afraid.

Top four is like a trophy for Liverpool nowadays but the big boys see second place as failure. 😒

Liverpool are a far bigger club on any stage than Manchester City there is no real comparison. Manchester City lol.

Mibbes Aye
24-08-2017, 06:15 PM
I love threads like these where people have different definitions about the premise and then argue :greengrin

If 'big' means a global name and presence, with the ability to tap into the wealth to be derived from things like global marketing and TV rights, then LFC are 'big', though there are obviously clubs bigger. LFC were eighth in the KPMG rankings for this year, in a table that is dominated by English teams, though LFC were way, way behind Man U, Real, Barca and Bayern Munich. I was surprised that Arsenal were much further ahead of them though that probably reflects Arsenal having a stronger brand since the turn of the century, particularly with players like Henry and Sanchez starring for them.

If 'big' means an illustrious history in competition, then LFC can point to that - many, many league titles in one of Europe's leading leagues and multiple European Cup winners.

If 'big' means strong in the present generation, with the ability to attract top names and compete at the business end of the major tournaments, then that's where it is more problematic. Someone made the point earlier about Liverpool having managed to win the EC since the 80s, which is equally true of Porto, who no one considers to be in the highest echelons. I think a fairer comparison is against someone like Ajax of the 70s or perhaps Benfica of the decade before, where those teams had sustained EC success over a few years, based on having a fantastic quality of players and/or tactical innovations.

In terms of competing domestically, LFC have played 27 seasons since they last won the title. On only six occasions did they finish within ten points of the eventual champions and on only two occasions did they finish within four points of the champions.

On average, since they last won the title LFC finish around 18-19 points behind the eventual champions. Around half of the seasons since they last won the title they've finished twenty points or more behind the eventual champions.

Would agree with the earlier post about transfer hierarchies - LFC at the moment can develop and sell players but I don't think they can compete with their peers in England in attracting players, not quite anyway.

So it's a mixed bag IMO - 'big' club in terms of history and stature, big club in terms of global brand. Not a 'big' club in terms of achievement over the last three decades, however there is potentially the capacity for that to change.

Lancs Harp
24-08-2017, 06:18 PM
But we went 114 years without winning the Cup and we are the greatest club the world has ever seen.

Pete
24-08-2017, 06:28 PM
I love threads like these where people have different definitions about the premise and then argue :greengrin

If 'big' means a global name and presence, with the ability to tap into the wealth to be derived from things like global marketing and TV rights, then LFC are 'big', though there are obviously clubs bigger. LFC were eighth in the KPMG rankings for this year, in a table that is dominated by English teams, though LFC were way, way behind Man U, Real, Barca and Bayern Munich. I was surprised that Arsenal were much further ahead of them though that probably reflects Arsenal having a stronger brand since the turn of the century, particularly with players like Henry and Sanchez starring for them.

If 'big' means an illustrious history in competition, then LFC can point to that - many, many league titles in one of Europe's leading leagues and multiple European Cup winners.

If 'big' means strong in the present generation, with the ability to attract top names and compete at the business end of the major tournaments, then that's where it is more problematic. Someone made the point earlier about Liverpool having managed to win the EC since the 80s, which is equally true of Porto, who no one considers to be in the highest echelons. I think a fairer comparison is against someone like Ajax of the 70s or perhaps Benfica of the decade before, where those teams had sustained EC success over a few years, based on having a fantastic quality of players and/or tactical innovations.

In terms of competing domestically, LFC have played 27 seasons since they last won the title. On only six occasions did they finish within ten points of the eventual champions and on only two occasions did they finish within four points of the champions.

On average, since they last won the title LFC finish around 18-19 points behind the eventual champions. Around half of the seasons since they last won the title they've finished twenty points or more behind the eventual champions.

Would agree with the earlier post about transfer hierarchies - LFC at the moment can develop and sell players but I don't think they can compete with their peers in England in attracting players, not quite anyway.

So it's a mixed bag IMO - 'big' club in terms of history and stature, big club in terms of global brand. Not a 'big' club in terms of achievement over the last three decades, however there is potentially the capacity for that to change.

Where do Hearts fit into all of this?

:confused:

Mibbes Aye
24-08-2017, 07:02 PM
Where do Hearts fit into all of this?

:confused:

That's a whole different level of 'big'.

A top table if you like.

Sadly, most so-called football fans don't recognise this.

It involves having previous owners who have won medals for ballroom dancing and navigating subs out the Baltic, whilst still being able to design reversible satin blousons.

It involves having a current owner who sees the irony in ripping off the support the same way the club ripped off charities - and knows the value of a footballing titan as DoF, the kind of guy who has the necessary form for withstanding the pressures of competing for a league and cup double.

It involves defending the freedom of our brave isles by fearlessly volunteering in every conflict since the Third Punic War, but critically, not trying to make mileage out of it.

And crucially, it involves the foresight to build seamless glass curtains.

pacorosssco
24-08-2017, 11:26 PM
Liverpool are a far bigger club on any stage than Manchester City there is no real comparison. Manchester City lol.

Not got trophies to compare overall but recent times won league twice. City historically well supported and have had great teams. Cant just dismiss. Can buy any Liverpool player they like. Big club id say takes past and present. Liverpool and united are most succesful and big supports but arsenal everton tottenham chelsea and less familar names newcastle Leeds Sheff W Aston Villa all big sides who if well run succesful would draw big support. Nottingham Forrest two european cups no where near size all above as example.celtic rangers ajax feynoord are huge clubs that could compete with above teams if in same money pit

Pete
25-08-2017, 12:58 AM
That's a whole different level of 'big'.

A top table if you like.

Sadly, most so-called football fans don't recognise this.

It involves having previous owners who have won medals for ballroom dancing and navigating subs out the Baltic, whilst still being able to design reversible satin blousons.

It involves having a current owner who sees the irony in ripping off the support the same way the club ripped off charities - and knows the value of a footballing titan as DoF, the kind of guy who has the necessary form for withstanding the pressures of competing for a league and cup double.

It involves defending the freedom of our brave isles by fearlessly volunteering in every conflict since the Third Punic War, but critically, not trying to make mileage out of it.

And crucially, it involves the foresight to build seamless glass curtains.

More the fool them but maybe it's better that way. Do they realise how close we came to the game collapsing when Hearts were in financial trouble?

There's a theory that Hearts actually are football.

superfurryhibby
25-08-2017, 06:30 AM
Not got trophies to compare overall but recent times won league twice. City historically well supported and have had great teams. Cant just dismiss. Can buy any Liverpool player they like. Big club id say takes past and present. Liverpool and united are most succesful and big supports but arsenal everton tottenham chelsea and less familar names newcastle Leeds Sheff W Aston Villa all big sides who if well run succesful would draw big support. Nottingham Forrest two european cups no where near size all above as example.celtic rangers ajax feynoord are huge clubs that could compete with above teams if in same money pit

I would like your posts more if you could be bothered to write in plainEnglish and not some bizarre form of newspeak. Are you a fan of George Orwell or just a lazy barsteward?

lyonhibs
25-08-2017, 06:52 AM
I would like your posts more if you could be bothered to write in plainEnglish and not some bizarre form of newspeak. Are you a fan of George Orwell or just a lazy barsteward?

I often muse similarly on this point. I reckon PacoRosso must get charged extra every time a post goes over 140 characters, like a text in the old days, and this means such irritants as prepositions and articles go out the window.

Back on topic, all this Liverpool chat is a moot point. Hearts are the big team and I know this because it's the only "banter" the JKB elite have and thus must be true.

Sylar
25-08-2017, 07:36 AM

Perhaps English isn't a first language and that's not so easy? :confused:

hibsbollah
25-08-2017, 02:35 PM

Im looking at Liverpool against Hoffenheim and against a strong side that was another fantastic performance. I don't know if you're deliberately underrating their chances because you don't want to be let down, but I think they will be far too strong for Arsenal this weekend and will continue to score more than they concede.

Since90+2
25-08-2017, 02:58 PM
I woudn't be surprised if Liverpool decide to make a move for Kieran Tierney at some point over the next 12 months. He would be a bargain comparable to some prices paid for current English Premier League players and he could fill a problem position for them.

Scouse Hibee
25-08-2017, 03:32 PM
I woudn't be surprised if Liverpool decide to make a move for Kieran Tierney at some point over the next 12 months. He would be a bargain comparable to some prices paid for current English Premier League players and he could fill a problem position for them.

Man Utd are looking at him I believe.

lord bunberry
25-08-2017, 03:45 PM
Im looking at Liverpool against Hoffenheim and against a strong side that was another fantastic performance. I don't know if you're deliberately underrating their chances because you don't want to be let down, but I think they will be far too strong for Arsenal this weekend and will continue to score more than they concede.
That's how I see it. I really hope they don't try and reign things in and become less cavalier. Liverpool could go a long way this season with the style of football they're playing. When in full flow there's not a team in the premiership that can live with them.

superfurryhibby
25-08-2017, 04:12 PM
Perhaps English isn't a first language and that's not so easy? :confused:

He can write perfectly good English when required. Newspeak pisses me off, as do Americanisations, like gotten, headed, snuck. Anyway, most younger Dutch folk speak better English than the average native speaker, so there:na na:

HoboHarry
25-08-2017, 04:16 PM
He can write perfectly good English when required. Newspeak pisses me off, as do Americanisations, like gotten, headed, snuck. Anyway, most younger Dutch folk speak better English than the average native speaker, so there:na na:
Having gotten to the Scottish Cup Final, we were headed for defeat until Anthony Stokes snuck in an equalizer. Does that work? :greengrin

Smartie
25-08-2017, 04:20 PM
That's how I see it. I really hope they don't try and reign things in and become less cavalier. Liverpool could go a long way this season with the style of football they're playing. When in full flow there's not a team in the premiership that can live with them.

A large proportion of Premier League games are tentative garbage.

When Liverpool are on you know that as a neutral you are going to be entertained, a bit like Keegan's Newcastle used to be. I rarely watch games not involving Hibs these days but I make a point of watching Liverpool when they're on.

It would be great if a really cavalier team could actually win the league. The problem is, no team ever wins anything shipping silly goals and Liverpool continue to ship far too many really silly goals. As do Arsenal. As do Man City.

It's great for us neutrals but I could understand why Liverpool fans might not be entirely convinced.

Especially as the pragmatic Mr Mourinho looks to have put a decent Man United team together. They won't lose many silly goals.

lord bunberry
25-08-2017, 04:28 PM
A large proportion of Premier League games are tentative garbage.

When Liverpool are on you know that as a neutral you are going to be entertained, a bit like Keegan's Newcastle used to be. I rarely watch games not involving Hibs these days but I make a point of watching Liverpool when they're on.

It would be great if a really cavalier team could actually win the league. The problem is, no team ever wins anything shipping silly goals and Liverpool continue to ship far too many really silly goals. As do Arsenal. As do Man City.

It's great for us neutrals but I could understand why Liverpool fans might not be entirely convinced.

Especially as the pragmatic Mr Mourinho looks to have put a decent Man United team together. They won't lose many silly goals.
Normally I would agree with you, but with so many teams able to take points of each other, Liverpool could have a real chance of the title. Man Utd could bore their way to the title, but I would love to see Liverpool do it.
The comparison with Keegans's Newcastle is an excellent one, Arsenal aren't nearly as cavalier as Liverpool or that great Newcastle team.

Smartie
25-08-2017, 04:40 PM
Normally I would agree with you, but with so many teams able to take points of each other, Liverpool could have a real chance of the title. Man Utd could bore their way to the title, but I would love to see Liverpool do it.
The comparison with Keegans's Newcastle is an excellent one, Arsenal aren't nearly as cavalier as Liverpool or that great Newcastle team.

No, I don't think Arsenal are as cavalier - they'll lose too many goals to compete, not through being too cavalier but through being totally inept defensively.

I agree, it would be great to see Liverpool do it. But will they manage to beat the big, pragmatic teams in the big games? I could see a streetwise Mourinho team just picking them off. Even this early I think it looks like Mourinho has built his favourite kind of 2-0 win machine.

Even the stuffy, tricky teams like WBA and Stoke might frustrate Liverpool. Do Liverpool have enough to grind out wins when things don't go their way or when they don't play particularly well?

Liverpool will be the choice of the romantics. But the pragmatists have a better track record of getting over the line.

superfurryhibby
25-08-2017, 04:44 PM
Having gotten to the Scottish Cup Final, we were headed for defeat until Anthony Stokes snuck in an equalizer. Does that work? :greengrin

Caaaaaaaahhhhnnnnttttttttt. Gonnae no dae that.

Will we change the words of the Stokes song to....... Defence terrified, Stokes, fire.....more, score, more, score, Stokes, fire, na, na...........

Back on topic, Liverpool have a pedigree and footballing heritage that most clubs can only dream of. They will always be giants of the game and whilst the lack of a League championship has become a bit of an albatross for them, all the money of a Chelsea or City can't buy them history. I like the fact that Liverpool is a football city, through and through. For somewhere with a population of half a million it's quite remarkable that they have produced two teams with the level of success they have.

Smartie
25-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Caaaaaaaahhhhnnnnttttttttt. Gonnae no dae that.

Will we change the words of the Stokes song to....... Defence terrified, Stokes, fire.....more, score, more, score, Stokes, fire, na, na...........

Back on topic, Liverpool have a pedigree and footballing heritage that most clubs can only dream of. They will always be giants of the game and whilst the lack of a League championship has become a bit of an albatross for them, all the money of a Chelsea or City can't buy them history. I like the fact that Liverpool is a football city, through and through. For somewhere with a population of half a million it's quite remarkable that they have produced two teams with the level of success they have.

When I was a kid Liverpool were winning everything.

Man United hadn't won the league in ages and only had the odd cup here or there to show for their efforts. They always had loads of fans and big crowds though, and they were always respected as a big club who just hadn't won much for a while.

It's a bit like Liverpool now. They haven't won much for a while (although there has been the odd notable European Cup over the past few decades) but they're still a massive brand and a big club with huge appeal. Big players will still want to play for them. They might not be able to offer the ££££££ that City or Chelsea can, but they can still offer players an awful lot.

And that's before you get into the whole "global football" thing. Liverpool must still be up there with the biggest of them on that front.

Or am I just an 80s child who is a bit out of touch?

easty
25-08-2017, 04:50 PM
Liverpool have absolutely no chance of winning the league, with a ***** keeper and a rank rotten defence. Once they lose Coutinho, they'll have even less chance.

They'll be lucky to get top 4.

lord bunberry
25-08-2017, 04:52 PM
No, I don't think Arsenal are as cavalier - they'll lose too many goals to compete, not through being too cavalier but through being totally inept defensively.

I agree, it would be great to see Liverpool do it. But will they manage to beat the big, pragmatic teams in the big games? I could see a streetwise Mourinho team just picking them off. Even this early I think it looks like Mourinho has built his favourite kind of 2-0 win machine.

Even the stuffy, tricky teams like WBA and Stoke might frustrate Liverpool. Do Liverpool have enough to grind out wins when things don't go their way or when they don't play particularly well?

Liverpool will be the choice of the romantics. But the pragmatists have a better track record of getting over the line.

Your last paragraph is of course true, but I'm an old romantic and I hope they do it.

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2017, 04:57 PM
When I was a kid Liverpool were winning everything.

Man United hadn't won the league in ages and only had the odd cup here or there to show for their efforts. They always had loads of fans and big crowds though, and they were always respected as a big club who just hadn't won much for a while.

It's a bit like Liverpool now. They haven't won much for a while (although there has been the odd notable European Cup over the past few decades) but they're still a massive brand and a big club with huge appeal. Big players will still want to play for them. They might not be able to offer the ££££££ that City or Chelsea can, but they can still offer players an awful lot.

And that's before you get into the whole "global football" thing. Liverpool must still be up there with the biggest of them on that front.

Or am I just an 80s child who is a bit out of touch?

:agree: If you are a top player, then Liverpool won't be on your radar. For most of those who want to come to England, they will want to play for around 5 clubs before them if they get the choice.

Top players will only come north for the two Manchester clubs if the London clubs don't want them or can't afford them.

superfurryhibby
25-08-2017, 04:59 PM
Another thing, for all Chelsea and Man City's money, have they really been that successful? One Champions league between them. City have won two titles, despite throwing hundreds of millions at it. Chelski have won 5 titles in 20 years of big investment, suppose it's decent, but neither of them have dominated in the way that Liverpool did in 70's-80's or Man U in the 90's-2000's.

lord bunberry
25-08-2017, 05:06 PM
Another thing, for all Chelsea and Man City's money, have they really been that successful? One Champions league between them. City have won two titles, despite throwing hundreds of millions at it. Chelski have won 5 titles in 20 years of big investment, suppose it's decent, but neither of them have dominated in the way that Liverpool did in 70's-80's or Man U in the 90's-2000's.
You say Man City have thrown hundreds of millions at it, but I'm pretty sure they've turned a pretty large profit in the last few years.

hibsbollah
25-08-2017, 05:11 PM
Your last paragraph is of course true, but I'm an old romantic and I hope they do it.

Leaving aside the romantic thing (although when Liverpool were winning everything in my childhood they weren't always an attractive side to watch...)the pragmatic argument is with Klopp they have a genuinely world class manager who achieved something with Dortmund.

lord bunberry
25-08-2017, 05:15 PM
Leaving aside the romantic thing (although when Liverpool were winning everything in my childhood they weren't always an attractive side to watch...)the pragmatic argument is with Klopp they have a genuinely world class manager who achieved something with Dortmund.

And he can do it again with Liverpool imo. It's not like he's some novice who's winging it. As you say he's been over the course before and he could easily do it again.

superfurryhibby
25-08-2017, 06:24 PM
You say Man City have thrown hundreds of millions at it, but I'm pretty sure they've turned a pretty large profit in the last few years.

Profit doesn't make prizes.

greenlex
25-08-2017, 07:02 PM
Did Liverpool unearth Danny Wilson?

lord bunberry
25-08-2017, 07:16 PM
Profit doesn't make prizes.

I didn't say it did. My point was about Man City throwing money at it. They've undoubtedly spent a lot of money to get where they are, but it looks like money well spent when you're making £30m a year.

Scouse Hibee
25-08-2017, 07:22 PM
Did Liverpool unearth Danny Wilson?

Danny Wilson hasn't been unearthed, he's in the bowels of the earth.

Lancs Harp
25-08-2017, 07:24 PM
Blackpool had Danny Wilson on loan when he was at Liverpool. He was bloody awful. Not quite as bad as Andy Halliday was though.

pacorosssco
26-08-2017, 03:12 AM

Thank you i doubt ill ever be compared to orwell again:)

Pete
26-08-2017, 03:53 AM

Thats the sort of money it takes to simply compete at the top end and nowadays and while they are certainly doing that, it doesn't guarantee anything.
The more "traditional" high-end clubs, ones who are crowdfunded by glory hunters, are throwing about similar amounts yet they aren't dominating either. I don't believe that one source of financing is any more acceptable or organic than the other tbh. I'll accept it when these traditional "big" clubs like Liverpool and Manchester United draw their support and funding primarily from the areas they represent. Until that happens again, they're all as fake as each other.

I can't see anyone dominating again like what happened in the 70's to the early noughties. However, its almost as if the saturation of money has meant the game in England has went full circle as far as competition goes and at least there are now several contenders.

Feel dirty saying that though.

pacorosssco
26-08-2017, 04:14 AM
Thats the sort of money it takes to simply compete at the top end and nowadays and while they are certainly doing that, it doesn't guarantee anything.
The more "traditional" high-end clubs, ones who are crowdfunded by glory hunters, are throwing about similar amounts yet they aren't dominating either. I don't believe that one source of financing is any more acceptable or organic than the other tbh. I'll accept it when these traditional "big" clubs like Liverpool and Manchester United draw their support and funding primarily from the areas they represent. Until that happens again, they're all as fake as each other.

I can't see anyone dominating again like what happened in the 70's to the early noughties. However, its almost as if the saturation of money has meant the game in England has went full circle as far as competition goes and at least there are now several contenders.

Dont feel dirty. Top players today are mainly contract focussed and not medals. Its a money game

Onceinawhile
26-08-2017, 06:24 AM

Well Ronaldo has won the European championships and Messi has made copa America and world cup finals. Gerrard didn't get past the quarter finals of any major tournament.

But apart from that you're quite correct, Gerrard was definitely world class and it's strange to argue otherwise.

superfurryhibby
26-08-2017, 08:06 AM
I didn't say it did. My point was about Man City throwing money at it. They've undoubtedly spent a lot of money to get where they are, but it looks like money well spent when you're making £30m a year.

I wasn't aware that City made any profit from their football dealings. Is £30m really the motivation for the investment though?

There have always been contenders in the English game. Even at the height of Liverpool's powers Nottingham Forest managed a League title and two European Cups. Ipswich ran Liverpool very close for the tilte (twice), as did QPR earlier in the 70's. Aston Villa and Everton also won League titles in the 80's, as did Derby in the 70's.

Leicester's win was the exception that proves the rule though. Teams like Forest and Villa won leagues based on brilliant management and wise expenditure. They splashed some cash, but it wasn't done in the excessive frenzy of todays transfer market.

I don't really understand the crowdfunding point you make though? Are the teams you refer to the likes of Liverpool, Spurs, Man Utd? I don't know the details of how those teams are funded. I suppose Sours and Liverpool are spending a lot of money on developing their grounds, that will curtail investment in players probably. Equally, the massive rise in television coverage helps ensure that folk ( like people in Scotland) form attachments to teams far away from where they stay-that comes with the territory in modern football.

It is debateable whether there is a hierarchy of morality when it comes to the modern game. Whether the cash is spalshed by dubious Russian oligarchs, oil rich Sheikhs or faceless corporate conglomerates, do most fans care? Possibly not.

Scouse Hibee
26-08-2017, 08:56 AM

All as fake as each other? I think you're forgetting how clubs like Man U and Liverpool actually formed their world wide fan bases from being so successful when drawing their local support.

Aldo
26-08-2017, 08:59 AM
Just a young man but far superior player to Moreno!

Good luck to him

Pete
26-08-2017, 02:32 PM
All as fake as each other? I think you're forgetting how clubs like Man U and Liverpool actually formed their world wide fan bases from being so successful when drawing their local support.

I know the reasons why they have such big "supports". The clubs were either half decent in the past, they are winning now or they are a bit stylish. There's basically a form of glory to be had.

All these people who are chasing this glory have collectively skewed things just as much as the Sheiks of this world have. All these Liverpool fans in China and Sweden have just as much to do with Liverpool as Abramovich has to do with London...absolutely nothing.

I fully expect the "that's ridiculous, people can support who they like" argument to be flung back at me but I suspect it would be different if I were speaking to a Doncaster United fan from Doncaster, or any other fan who primarily supports a club who's low status is at the expense of the bigger boys. ;-)

I think it's great that City are shaking things up, as I think all the moaning from people who shouldn't really be bothered is hilarious.

Scouse Hibee
26-08-2017, 02:47 PM
I know the reasons why they have such big "supports". The clubs were either half decent in the past, they are winning now or they are a bit stylish. There's basically a form of glory to be had.

All these people who are chasing this glory have collectively skewed things just as much as the Sheiks of this world have. All these Liverpool fans in China and Sweden have just as much to do with Liverpool as Abramovich has to do with London...absolutely nothing.

I fully expect the "that's ridiculous, people can support who they like" argument to be flung back at me but I suspect it would be different if I were speaking to a Doncaster United fan from Doncaster, or any other fan who primarily supports a club who's low status is at the expense of the bigger boys.

I think it's great that City are shaking things up, as I think all the moaning from people who shouldn't really be bothered is hilarious.

I have no idea how you can associate income on a drip feed from a world wide support to a weathly investor providing a seemingly bottomless pit of money as one and the same thing? There really is no comparison. Liverpool even with their limited success of late still have that fan base however it offers nothing compared to the wealth that City, Chelsea and to a lesser extent other investors like at Liverpool can provide. Those are the facts and are the only reasons City and Chelsea have risen so high.

I actually have no problem with it to be honest, it's up to Liverpool to try and compete just like it was up to other teams to try and compete with Liverpool when their success was generating the income and enabling them to buy whoever they really wanted. The game has changed and that's how it is, I am also fortunate that I have seen Liverpool win everything there was to win in their glory days. My next project is Hibs, ticked off the League Cup, Scottish Cup just waiting on the league and then Europe.

Pete
26-08-2017, 02:52 PM
I have no idea how you can associate income on a drip feed from a world wide support to a weathly investor providing a seemingly bottomless pit of money as one and the same thing? There really is no comparison. Liverpool even with their limited success of late still have that fan base however it offers nothing compared to the wealth that City, Chelsea and to a lesser extent other investors like at Liverpool can provide. Those are the facts and are the only reasons City and Chelsea have risen so high.

I actually have no problem with it to be honest, it's up to Liverpool to try and compete just like it was up to other teams to try and compete with Liverpool when their success was generating the income and enabling them to buy whoever they really wanted. The game has changed and that's how it is, I am also fortunate that I have seen Liverpool win everything there was to win in their glory days. My next project is Hibs, ticked off the League Cup, Scottish Cup just waiting on the league and then Europe.

You'll be waiting a while for the last two I think.

Unless you know any Sheiks?

DTS
26-08-2017, 03:37 PM
As a Liverpool fan I'd argue that we are still one of the biggest teams in the world however can we attract the best players that are of a world class standing I'm not sure, but no players that are world class are going to the premiership bar a few they're coming young and developing. That being said selling one player to Man City doesn't mean we're a selling club, every team in the world is a selling team when Barca or real come that's the way it is. Will we win the league playing the way we do? No. Will we progress to the later stages of the CL such as quarter finals playing the way we do? No. Will we win more points against the top 6 than bottom 6 this year with or style of play? Yes. We can't defend to save ourselfs and when we play teams that don't attack we struggle funnily enough Liverpool remind me so much of hibs at times

Phil MaGlass
26-08-2017, 03:54 PM
You go anywhere in the world and everyone knows Liverpool. Man City on the other hand nah dont think so. Even the guy that bought them thought he was buying Man U. Mibbe more investment but bigger never. Im not even a Liverpool fan. Dont care for english fitba.

GreenNWhiteArmy
26-08-2017, 04:27 PM
A thread on a young Scottish prospect who really is living the dream has descended in to cock measuring over the size of English clubs. Strange.

I wish Andy all the best. Learning at a club that has a proud history and top training facilities will hopefully mature Andy immediately and improve every season.

What a left side we'll have if we can get Tierney and Robbo in the same line up

Pete
26-08-2017, 04:48 PM
A thread on a young Scottish prospect who really is living the dream has descended in to cock measuring over the size of English clubs. Strange.

:agree:

I know, it's a farce.

superfurryhibby
26-08-2017, 10:48 PM

I wish Andy all the best. Learning at a club that has a proud history and top training facilities will hopefully mature Andy immediately and improve every season.

What a left side we'll have if we can get Tierney and Robbo in the same line up

Not really. Most threads on here digress and take tangents, that's what I like about Hibs. Net. There is probably only so much most of us can say about Robertson. Probably saw him play live, but mibbies naw. Beyond that, who the **** knows really?

jgl07
27-08-2017, 12:22 AM
You go anywhere in the world and everyone knows Liverpool. Man City on the other hand nah dont think so. Even the guy that bought them thought he was buying Man U. Mibbe more investment but bigger never. Im not even a Liverpool fan. Dont care for english fitba.

Probably because you know ***** all about it? Or anything else judging by your comments. Maybe you shouldn't post whilst pissed?

When ADUG bought City they considered Liverpool but rejected them because of the state of Anfield at the time. They considered a number of of other teams, including Everton but felt that City were the best option. They weren't wrong as whatever they spent on buying the club and investing in the playing staff and stadium expansion, they have benefited from the increase in value of the club. They got most of their investment back by selling a minority stake to the Chinese last year.

pacorosssco
27-08-2017, 12:38 AM

I fully expect the "that's ridiculous, people can support who they like" argument to be flung back at me but I suspect it would be different if I were speaking to a Doncaster United fan from Doncaster, or any other fan who primarily supports a club who's low status is at the expense of the bigger boys. ;-)

Global support as general support comes from winning. Chelsea City are global teams to rival Liverpool already. Im happy to support local side and wish andy robertson well with establishing himself to gain move to bigger side:)

bigwheel
27-08-2017, 09:02 AM

Other than winning trophies and signing the best payers these days....30 years without a league title isn't really the heritage of a top side....I would say Liverpool in performance terms are now tier 2 in Europe..not denying their brand has a wide appeal, but they are no longer seen as one of the top performing sides in Europe...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crewetollhibee
27-08-2017, 09:09 AM
This thread's title really needs changed ...

hibeg
25-02-2018, 06:35 AM
In the EPL 10 million for a player of his quality is a bargain. I know he is a full back , but so is Kyle Walker. (50 million to Man City). i am really surprised that Liverpool got him for that price.

Looks like Liverpool have picked up one of the bargains of the season. Firmly established in the team and what a display yesterday
Great to see a young Scottish player standing out in the EPL.

Think the left hand side of the national team is well covered for many years with Robertson and Tierney

McD
25-02-2018, 04:05 PM
Looks like Liverpool have picked up one of the bargains of the season. Firmly established in the team and what a display yesterday

Think the left hand side of the national team is well covered for many years with Robertson and Tierney

Sunday supplement today one of the journalists made reference to some kind of conversation about Robertson being Liverpool’s best left back in 30 years. Granted it’s not been a glory position for Liverpool over most of that time, but AR has bided his time, and made the position his own, and played well in a long run of great form for Liverpool.

Stevie Reid
25-02-2018, 04:25 PM
Given that Liverpool seemed to break even from the deal with regards to money paid upfront (they sold a player called Kevin Stewart to Hull for £8M as part of the deal - a 24 year old midfielder who started less than 15 games for Liverpool, less than 50 his whole career, and has scored 3 goals), it's an incredible bit of business for them.

Whoever negotiated that deal for Hull is in the wrong business.

worcesterhibby
26-02-2018, 11:35 AM

Hahahhaha..I know you'll be as chuffed as the next person that you were wrong..but I still find it amusing. :faf::faf:

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2018, 01:00 PM
Hahahhaha..I know you'll be as chuffed as the next person that you were wrong..but I still find it amusing. :faf::faf:

I already came out and held my hands up about this a few weeks ago. Fantastic from him so far and long may it continue. I took my advice from Alan Hansen 😉

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2018, 01:03 PM

I'm convinced now.

worcesterhibby
26-02-2018, 01:13 PM
I already came out and held my hands up about this a few weeks ago. Fantastic from him so far and long may it continue. I took my advice from Alan Hansen 😉

:aok:

Is It On....
26-02-2018, 04:43 PM

I am sure that Mr ScouseHibee wasn't a big fan when he signed (he took a bit flak for saying so as well). Not bad for a guy released by Sellick as a teenager 😎

hibsbollah
26-02-2018, 06:49 PM
I'm convinced now.

Fair play, it's good to see folk admitting we're not all right 100% of the time.

I think one element to how he went 'under the radar' was that Moreno was getting pelters from some well placed pundits for being a liability at left back. At the same time Andrew was sitting on the bench after being signed for all those millions. The subtext? Well, Robertson can't be up to much if he can't get a game in front of a duffer like Moreno surely?

Actually if you watched Moreno at LB at the start of the season he was fantastic, countless assists and generally rampaging about in attack. The occasional defensive lapse aside, he was excellent. Andrew comes in for league Cup games etc, looks fantastic also, but goes back to the bench again. When Moreno gets injured, AR gets his chance and seizes it, and suddenly folk realise what a good player they've got on their hands. Now Moreno is fit, it'll be interesting to see if Klopp rotates them or the jersey is now Andrews to lose. I actually think they're both outstanding players at the same position.

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Fair play, it's good to see folk admitting we're not all right 100% of the time.

I think one element to how he went 'under the radar' was that Moreno was getting pelters from some well placed pundits for being a liability at left back. At the same time Andrew was sitting on the bench after being signed for all those millions. The subtext? Well, Robertson can't be up to much if he can't get a game in front of a duffer like Moreno surely?

Actually if you watched Moreno at LB at the start of the season he was fantastic, countless assists and generally rampaging about in attack. The occasional defensive lapse aside, he was excellent. Andrew comes in for league Cup games etc, looks fantastic also, but goes back to the bench again. When Moreno gets injured, AR gets his chance and seizes it, and suddenly folk realise what a good player they've got on their hands. Now Moreno is fit, it'll be interesting to see if Klopp rotates them or the jersey is now Andrews to lose. I actually think they're both outstanding players at the same position.

Now I am willing to admit I was wrong over Robertson but not Moreno! Not just well placed pundits but myself and nearly every other red supporter I speak to in Liverpool are of the same opinion. Absolute bombscare at times, caught out of position, forgets his defensive duties and has convinced us all he is more like a frustrated winger. You're too kind with your occasional defensive lapse remark.

hibsbollah
26-02-2018, 07:33 PM
Now I am willing to admit I was wrong over Robertson but not Moreno! Not just well placed pundits but myself and nearly every other red supporter I speak to in Liverpool are of the same opinion. Absolute bombscare at times, caught out of position, forgets his defensive duties and has convinced us all he is more like a frustrated winger. You're too kind with your occasional defensive lapse remark.

We'll see what happens in the run in. I can see them both getting game time.

Smartie
26-02-2018, 07:41 PM

This could describe a huge number of modern "full-backs" though.

At least he has something to shout about going forward.

I quite like a good, old fashioned full back - solid defensively first and foremost, any attacking threat they carry is a bonus.

hibsbollah
26-02-2018, 07:50 PM
This could describe a huge number of modern "full-backs" though.

At least he has something to shout about going forward.

I quite like a good, old fashioned full back - solid defensively first and foremost, any attacking threat they carry is a bonus.

Not all teams can have a Lewis Stevenson, after all.

jacomo
27-02-2018, 05:28 AM

Moreno is a likeable player in many ways but seemingly no defensive discipline to his game at all.

number9dream
27-02-2018, 08:38 AM
First job for McLeish is to work out the best way of accommodating Robertson and Tierney in the same side. Two fantastic players.
With Barry Douglas in reserve, we've got left-back covered.

GreenOnions
27-02-2018, 08:59 AM
First job for McLeish is to work out the best way of accommodating Robertson and Tierney in the same side. Two fantastic players.

Yep - a great problem to have. FWIW I'd definitely look to see if Tierney can play at left centre back beside a more traditional type.

We're strong at left back and not too badly off for wide players either (Ryan Fraser, Matt Ritchie, Forrest etc) but we have very few centre backs. It would be good to have Tierney's pace in the centre and I think we could still be quite strong down the left side of the pitch without him there.

Is It On....
27-02-2018, 01:36 PM

No problems there. McLeish said 'performance director" Malky Mackay had briefed him about the squad. 😂😂😂

bigwheel
27-02-2018, 01:44 PM
No problems there. McLeish said 'performance director" Malky Mackay had briefed him about the squad. 😂😂😂

out of interest - why the quotes and the laugh emoji's...you don't feel Malky Mackay can assess a footballer?

Is It On....
27-02-2018, 07:27 PM
out of interest - why the quotes and the laugh emoji's...you don't feel Malky Mackay can assess a footballer?

Fair question. I don't that that Scotland have shown any evidence to suggest that they are at all scientific when it comes to the assessment of players and I think it's somewhat comical to call an ex player a "performance director".

Lancs Harp
27-02-2018, 08:30 PM
Fair question. I don't that that Scotland have shown any evidence to suggest that they are at all scientific when it comes to the assessment of players and I think it's somewhat comical to call an ex player a "performance director".

Knowing a few people at local club AFC Fylde and their commitment to sports science/ modern training methods I would be amazed if a national team like Scotland weren't doing similar.

Is It On....
27-02-2018, 09:43 PM
Knowing a few people at local club AFC Fylde and their commitment to sports science/ modern training methods I would be amazed if a national team like Scotland weren't doing similar.

I would have thought so but a friend was at a conference at Hampden with all the top Scottish people in attendance. Mathew Benham (the guy behind Brentford and "Moneyball" in football) was of the speakers and apparently he knew more about the stats behind Ricky Sbragia's time at Sunderland than the man himself. Its interesting you mention Fylde as I have seen some great things about their forward looking strategy. I also read that clubs get £1m for being in League 2 which really shows the financial gulf between Scotland and England 🙁

Future17
08-03-2018, 05:34 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/43324198