PDA

View Full Version : That was the team that was

hibs supporter
19-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Just watched that on YouTube and during celebrations in easter road after we won the skol cup I thought I could hear the fans singing you'll never walk alone was wondering if anyone who was there know if it was

Fat Stu
19-07-2017, 01:06 PM
Just watched that on YouTube and during celebrations in easter road after we won the skol cup I thought I could hear the fans singing you'll never walk alone was wondering if anyone who was there know if it was

Was definitely sung on the day but being a young pup don't remember it being sung before or since. I also don't recall it being sung by celtic until recently.

Can anyone shed any light on why it was sung?

greenlad
19-07-2017, 01:14 PM
Was definitely sung on the day but being a young pup don't remember it being sung before or since. I also don't recall it being sung by celtic until recently.

Can anyone shed any light on why it was sung?

It was a standard Hibs fans song up until about the mid 90s when Sunshine on Leith took over. Remember a defiant version being sang in defeat after the LC Final defeat at Parkhead in 93 and at a push I possibly even remember it being sang at Rugby Park the week after relegation in 1998. Don't recall hearing it after that.

The Hibs version differed quite a bit from the Celtic. Started off slowly and then got faster and faster.

G B Young
19-07-2017, 01:15 PM
It was certainly sung by Hibs fans during the 1980s, with scarves held aloft. As far as I recall it just faded out of use - possibly because it was seen as more of a Celtic song.

ChooseLife
19-07-2017, 02:22 PM
It was sang in the 6-2 game, I remember rewinding it thinking my ears where lying to me.

SirDavidsNapper
19-07-2017, 02:28 PM
Remember it being sung often in early 90's

Pretty Boy
19-07-2017, 02:36 PM
Was sung at the Livingston Scottish Cup semi final, must have been 2001.

Glad over time Sunshine on Leith seems to have removed it from our song book.

19-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Glad we got rid of it and replaced it with SoL. YNWA is a very good anthem but its done by a few clubs, SoL is special because it's just ours.

superfurryhibby
19-07-2017, 02:44 PM

On a pedantic note, we won the League Cup. The Skol Cup can GTF:wink:

worcesterhibby
19-07-2017, 03:50 PM
On a pedantic note, we won the League Cup. The Skol Cup can GTF:wink:

Careful Hagar will be after you !

https://youtu.be/gK7n1Q-fDeA

Smartie
19-07-2017, 04:05 PM
I remember it being belted out on the free buses to the Airdrie play off all those years ago.

Our version did seem to speed up and seemed to be more like our version of the bit of the Anfield rap where they go through a few lines of YNWA.

I'm glad we've ditched it, although I didn't really notice it falling by the wayside until someone pointed it out.

Bishop Hibee
19-07-2017, 04:07 PM
Some great renditions of "Walk On" post-match at ER, Hampden and beyond. Nothing to be embarrassed about. Celtc stole it from Liverpool anyway.

"Walk On" was sung by Hibs fans on occasion right up until the home game v AEK Athens when "Sunshine on Leith" was played at the end of 90 minutes. At that point a singularly Hibernian anthem was born.

GordonHFC
19-07-2017, 04:14 PM
Wasn't there a double clap at the end of each couple of words towards the end?

superfurryhibby
19-07-2017, 04:44 PM
Careful Hagar will be after you !

https://youtu.be/gK7n1Q-fDeA

Was Skol not a Dryburgh's, ahem, product? Either way, it was pishwater, the epitome of a gash pint.

SingaporeHibs
19-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Some great renditions of "Walk On" post-match at ER, Hampden and beyond. Nothing to be embarrassed about. Celtc stole it from Liverpool anyway.

"Walk On" was sung by Hibs fans on occasion right up until the home game v AEK Athens when "Sunshine on Leith" was played at the end of 90 minutes. At that point a singularly Hibernian anthem was born.
A night and memory that still brings me goosebumps when I think about it. Many non Hibs supporting mates were listening to the game on the radio and even they commented on how incredible it sounded at the time. It was the start of SOL as we know it now. But sitting here now, typing this the memories flood back and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I'm not sure there was ever a more uplifting moment in the old stadium as that particular night. Going back to the original topic, YNWA was a regular in the East particularly in big games or when we were up against it. It was more often than not a song of defiance more than a song of celebration. SOL is certainly a song of celebration and my god what a anthem it is. GGTTH

bigwheel
19-07-2017, 05:18 PM

can't recall Walk On being sung during the nineties by Hibs at all...Agree about the AEK SOL though...a defining moment

SteveHFC
19-07-2017, 07:48 PM
A night and memory that still brings me goosebumps when I think about it. Many non Hibs supporting mates were listening to the game on the radio and even they commented on how incredible it sounded at the time. It was the start of SOL as we know it now. But sitting here now, typing this the memories flood back and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I'm not sure there was ever a more uplifting moment in the old stadium as that particular night. Going back to the original topic, YNWA was a regular in the East particularly in big games or when we were up against it. It was more often than not a song of defiance more than a song of celebration. SOL is certainly a song of celebration and my god what a anthem it is. GGTTH

The roar when Luna scored his 2nd on the night was something else. :hyper

Nameless
19-07-2017, 07:53 PM
I also don't recall it being sung by celtic until recently

I remember them singing it at ibrox when they beat us in a Scottish Cup semi replay - circa '94.

I want to say they have been singing it since at least the early 90's.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

MKHIBEE
19-07-2017, 08:15 PM
I remember singing it at Hampden in semi finals in the early 70's

IberianHibernian
19-07-2017, 08:32 PM
Glad we got rid of it and replaced it with SoL. YNWA is a very good anthem but its done by a few clubs, SoL is special because it's just ours.I can remember it being sung at our matches ( with double clap someone else mentioned ) in 70s and 80s (at least ) but it wasn`t main song like SOL now . SOL replaced GGTTH . Before GGTTH (late 60s , all of 70s ) main song was It Was Down... ( ER version of Black n Tan Gun ) until it became considered politically incorrect .

cabbageandribs1875
19-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Wasn't there a double clap at the end of each couple of words towards the end?

:agree: quite cringey even back then

greenlex
20-07-2017, 12:44 AM
can't recall Walk On being sung during the nineties by Hibs at all...Agree about the AEK SOL though...a defining moment

Remember phoning my laddie during it so he could hear it and he's not even into fitba. He thought I'd lost the plot.

KWJ
20-07-2017, 01:09 AM
Wasn't SoL at half time in the athens game?

And I remember Walk On from the 6-2 game but not YNWA. Don't think I've heard that at any Hibs game.