PDA

View Full Version : Fans paying wages

AugustaHibs
18-07-2017, 07:04 PM
I have just seen a West Ham fan on twitter asking if his fellow fans would pay 1 pound a week to secure chicharitos wages. It got me thinking, I know it's completely hypothetical but what if each season ticket holder paid an additional 1 pound a week? Ridiculous idea I know, but it would be good to see who's wages we could afford at that point. 1 outstanding player per year?

BlackSheep
18-07-2017, 07:07 PM
Well it would come to approximately £12,000 per week.... so I'm sure we could sign a lot of players wth that wage.

I'd probably do it as well if it guaranteed signings.

lucky
18-07-2017, 07:15 PM
I have just seen a West Ham fan on twitter asking if his fellow fans would pay 1 pound a week to secure chicharitos wages. It got me thinking, I know it's completely hypothetical but what if each season ticket holder paid an additional 1 pound a week? Ridiculous idea I know, but it would be good to see who's wages we could afford at that point. 1 outstanding player per year?

You can do it already with HSL

High-On-Hibs
18-07-2017, 07:18 PM
Don't we already do that season on season on average anyway?

LeithMike
18-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Is HSL not a win-win for something like this? Not only are you able to put money to the player budget but you (the fans) also actually get the value back in shares too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
18-07-2017, 07:51 PM
How the players in England all club together and pay for season tickets renewals. A far fairer representation of the right proportion of supporter/players wages.

Famous Fiver
18-07-2017, 07:53 PM
The Jambos are chucking money hand over fist to Levein and Budgie.

They splurged on 9 new signings in January and we all know how that worked out for the poor wee things.

I'll keep my money in my pocket and trust Neil and Leanne to come up with the goods.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-07-2017, 05:16 AM
Documented elsewhere (the Hearts auction for one) but been discussed already (LWT) - you may remember £150k for Leigh Griffiths during Pats era?

We Explored a managers fund as part of LWT. The directors pointed to the various channels that already existed * to put money into the club and they were also to launch the Hibs stones and lotto. They quite rightly distinguished the club from Hearts (who were fighting for their existence) - we offer something back in return for investing our hard earned cash. Directors also felt that any initiative would need to be a fans lead initiative - it didn't sit right with them to ask - they already have the money for the budget to go back once again to supporters seemed wrong.

Another improtantl point raised was that any managers fund couldn't just say this is for player X - the manager needs autonomy to work with a budget to get players he wants.

The upshot eventually was the amazing LeithLinks.

Since then we also have HSL.

So The question then as is still relevant now - why do we need another way when we already have so many other ways to contribute to the club - I mean if you want to you could donated £1 per month to LeithLinks? (Although now we've in the high numbers for STs maybe they're looking to cap this?) The club get the same money and kids get something in return? You then ask yourself why are people not doing it?

* Hibernians for youth, STs, HTs, lotto, stones, merchandise, Hibs TV, sponsorship of players, hospitality.

eastcoasthibby
19-07-2017, 05:48 AM
Is there the completely psychological part of people not missing spending £1 per week and if it went straight into a specific account and fans can see where its going ie 3 players wages at £3k per week ...now that is a significant influence, on signing decent players..and.if the.club need.to foot the bill for signing on and incentives thats a private.part of the contract !
Strange as it may seem given we do have other optiontions such as HSL I personally like this idea, as its a lot more visible as to where the money is going.

Scouse Hibee
19-07-2017, 06:04 AM
The idea that working class fans fund the extravagant wage of bloody footballer is lost on me. At least when we pay for our tickets we feel as if we are paying to watch our team but to directly ask us to contribute to a wage fund is ridiculous in my opinion.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-07-2017, 06:23 AM
Is there the completely psychological part of people not missing spending £1 per week and if it went straight into a specific account and fans can see where its going ie 3 players wages at £3k per week ...now that is a significant influence, on signing decent players..and.if the.club need.to foot the bill for signing on and incentives thats a private.part of the contract !
Strange as it may seem given we do have other optiontions such as HSL I personally like this idea, as its a lot more visible as to where the money is going.

Has the club not stated that STs sales are ringfenced for the manager? In which case LeithLinks achieves this. LeithLinks take up has been quite remarkable and is a great testament to the passion Susan has tor this great cause. but to give you a benchmark (albeit an older one) at its height Club86 took in £100k.

If people want to invest there are vehicles if you want to know where it's going (i.e. Directly to the playing staff) invest in a ST if you haven't (then it's a quicker way to surpass £1 a month by a massive margin).

People have invested. If you were to say tack on £1 eaxtr to STs and divert is that not just an additional admin hassle (we did talk about adding in additional contributions at the bottom of the Direct debit form)

I get what your saying (a targeted direct cash injection that's ring fenced) but I think the take up of LeithLinks and STs shows where we are in terms of reaching the potential that folks are willing to invest. Suzy may be able to advise you around the naming (i.e. Why not Managers fund but if people are willing to invest in the club should they really get hung up on a name?)

Viva_Palmeiras
19-07-2017, 06:29 AM
The idea that working class fans fund the extravagant wage of bloody footballer is lost on me. At least when we pay for our tickets we feel as if we are paying to watch our team but to directly ask us to contribute to a wage fund is ridiculous in my opinion.

This was not lost in the LWT discussions. Overall it was seen as a vehicle for folks that could and would be prepared to contribute a little extra. The remit was to explore the options and come up with a proposal. This was ultimately taken on by Suzy and i applaud her for making it happen - the great thing is as we all know is the kids benefit.

snooky
19-07-2017, 08:37 AM

The day I contribute a penny of my pension to subsidise already overpaid sportsmen is the day my family can implement Power of Attorney and have me certified.

Betty Boop
19-07-2017, 08:41 AM

:agree:

BoomtownHibees
19-07-2017, 08:41 AM
The day I contribute a penny of my pension to subsidise already overpaid sportsmen is the day my family can implement Power of Attorney and have me certified.

Don't you go to games?

eastcoasthibby
19-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Has the club not stated that STs sales are ringfenced for the manager? In which case LeithLinks achieves this. LeithLinks take up has been quite remarkable and is a great testament to the passion Susan has tor this great cause. but to give you a benchmark (albeit an older one) at its height Club86 took in £100k.

If people want to invest there are vehicles if you want to know where it's going (i.e. Directly to the playing staff) invest in a ST if you haven't (then it's a quicker way to surpass £1 a month by a massive margin).

People have invested. If you were to say tack on £1 eaxtr to STs and divert is that not just an additional admin hassle (we did talk about adding in additional contributions at the bottom of the Direct debit form)

I get what your saying (a targeted direct cash injection that's ring fenced) but I think the take up of LeithLinks and STs shows where we are in terms of reaching the potential that folks are willing to invest. Suzy may be able to advise you around the naming (i.e. Why not Managers fund but if people are willing to invest in the club should they really get hung up on a name?)

I like the thought of looking at new options, looking at viability of things, I have an ST and have had for a few years now, I get the added work of putting together this type of funding account and managing it. I suppose my issue is about having the money spent on the visible part of what we are on the pitch. It seems like for most of the summer the transfer talk/ rumours on here have related to not being able to meet players wage expectations. (And I am not into paying stupid money for wages, just what's realistic given what we want to achieve ).
I know that fans are dipping into their pockets probably deeper each season and maybe, there are enough options there just now, and good revenue streams in general in place with the club. This sort of idea maybe for another day !

Jay
19-07-2017, 10:54 AM

I may be reading this wrongly, feel free to correct me but im not sure Leith Links grew from a LWT group.

As far as im aware the club already ran the KfKs initiative but you had to buy a whole ST rather than donate or pay in instalments. Mikey started a kind of kitty through hibs.net for people to donate what they could then he went and bought a load of KfKs tickets with what was donated, Suzy then started a dedicated charity for people to donate monthly, pay a lump sum or even just donate auction items so she could buy hunners of tickets each season through the clubs KfKs scheme.

CockneyRebel
19-07-2017, 11:32 AM

Spot on. To me it's similar to attending testimonials - I'm not saying don't go, but to me the player would have earned at least 5 times more then me during his short career and will retire in his mid thirties. if he's used his loaf then he either doesn't have to work again or is able to subsidise a lower paid job. Most of us feel players are vastly overpaid so why would I want to contribute in this direct fashion.

CockneyRebel
19-07-2017, 11:33 AM

:aok:

HFCdeb
19-07-2017, 11:54 AM

Saved me the bother of typing this.

monarch
19-07-2017, 11:55 AM

Is this the same West Ham that play in a league where even the bottom club is guaranteed a minimum of £100M from central Premiership/TV funds ? That fan needs a reality check.

I suppose it may be more realistic for Scottish football but would suggest the likes of our HSL fulfils this purpose. The thought of money going directly from a supporters pocket straight into a player's bank account doesn't sit easily with me.

madhatter
19-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Would you lock fans in to paying this for the duration of said player(s) contracts?
Otherwise how will you ensure club can afford the contract should fans stop paying?

CockneyRebel
19-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Don't you go to games?

Sure, money from STs are stated as going directly to the players budget but at the end of the season it is just counted as income along with all the other various revenue sources and put against outgoings to get a balance so your reply to this poster seems a tad hostile.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-07-2017, 04:25 PM
I may be reading this wrongly, feel free to correct me but im not sure Leith Links grew from a LWT group.

As far as im aware the club already ran the KfKs initiative but you had to buy a whole ST rather than donate or pay in instalments. Mikey started a kind of kitty through hibs.net for people to donate what they could then he went and bought a load of KfKs tickets with what was donated, Suzy then started a dedicated charity for people to donate monthly, pay a lump sum or even just donate auction items so she could buy hunners of tickets each season through the clubs KfKs scheme.

I'm not claiming that KFK did not exist and it was not my intention to underplay that apologies if it came across like that. Different paths same destination IMO. They're not mutually exclusive .The challenge for the managers fund was finding the right vehicle. . Suzy picked that up.
But don't take my word for it. RIP and Susan can chime in.

emerald green
19-07-2017, 05:07 PM

Spot on. :top marks

Furthermore, there are far more worthy causes and/or things people could contribute to, if they can afford to, and if they so choose.

hibeedonald
19-07-2017, 05:16 PM
2/3k a week isnt overpaid for a professional footballer imo. It's a short career, one injury and it's ruined etc.

Not all season ticket holders would sign up but let's just say 6k did.

That would get us 2 good players at 3k a week.

I would also suggest that contributors voted to decide on the players to approach pre season (subject to manager approval) as a reward for participating in the scheme.

Win for win everyone.

Don't think it will ever happen though.

Nutmegged
19-07-2017, 05:16 PM
we've paid through the nose for Season Tickets for the pastnthree years considering we were a 2nd tier team, I doubt many would ve happy with a £52 increase

AngloHibs
19-07-2017, 05:38 PM
2/3k a week isnt overpaid for a professional footballer imo. It's a short career, one injury and it's ruined etc.

I would also suggest that contributors voted to decide on the players to approach pre season (subject to manager approval) as a reward for participating in the scheme.

Win for win everyone.

I don't get that footballers deserve extra money because they have a 'short career'. Just get another job, the same as any other newly-unemployed person has to try to do.

hibeedonald
19-07-2017, 05:49 PM
I don't get that footballers deserve extra money because they have a 'short career'. Just get another job, the same as any other newly-unemployed person has to try to do.

Can be quite tough to start a new career age 35 when you have no qualifications or experience in other industries. Many will have a family to provide for. I would save the criticism for the guys earning 20k a week

AngloHibs
19-07-2017, 05:52 PM
Can be quite tough to start a new career age 35 when you have no qualifications or experience in other industries. Many will have a family to provide for. I would save the criticism for the guys earning 20k a week
Loads of blokes get made redundant about that age.

Scouse Hibee
19-07-2017, 05:55 PM

Well welcome to the real world, folk lose their jobs at different stages of their lives for various reasons. If everyone curled up and felt sorry for themselves because their chosen careeer had ended, we would all be in a right state. They have plenty of time and money to plan their next stage in life.

snooky
19-07-2017, 05:56 PM

:agree: I'm on your bandwagon too, SH. :aok:

Is It On....
19-07-2017, 05:58 PM

West Ham are also going to pay £24 MILLION for Marko Arnautovic from Stoke. Truly astonishing!!

Navids Numpties
19-07-2017, 06:01 PM

Win for win everyone.

It should be a £1 minimum with a meter at the side showing how much money currently in and you could also pay extra100 people paid a tenner that would get you a extra grand a week, great idea.

Navids Numpties
19-07-2017, 06:02 PM
West Ham are also going to pay £24 MILLION for Marko Arnautovic from Stoke. Truly astonishing!!

Bargain IMO, he's brilliant, a even more skilful and powerful Leigh Griffiths. Some ping on him like.

snooky
19-07-2017, 06:06 PM

Here's an idea. Why don't the players make weekly donations to supporters clubs to help pay for buses to go to away games.
Good luck with that idea, I hear you say. :whistle:

Is It On....
19-07-2017, 08:27 PM
Bargain IMO, he's brilliant, a even more skilful and powerful Leigh Griffiths. Some ping on him like.

I hope that's a wind up..

FranckSuzy
19-07-2017, 11:05 PM
Documented elsewhere (the Hearts auction for one) but been discussed already (LWT) - you may remember £150k for Leigh Griffiths during Pats era?

We Explored a managers fund as part of LWT. The directors pointed to the various channels that already existed * to put money into the club and they were also to launch the Hibs stones and lotto. They quite rightly distinguished the club from Hearts (who were fighting for their existence) - we offer something back in return for investing our hard earned cash. Directors also felt that any initiative would need to be a fans lead initiative - it didn't sit right with them to ask - they already have the money for the budget to go back once again to supporters seemed wrong.

Another improtantl point raised was that any managers fund couldn't just say this is for player X - the manager needs autonomy to work with a budget to get players he wants.

Since then we also have HSL.

So The question then as is still relevant now - why do we need another way when we already have so many other ways to contribute to the club - I mean if you want to you could donated £1 per month to LeithLinks? (Although now we've in the high numbers for STs maybe they're looking to cap this?) The club get the same money and kids get something in return? You then ask yourself why are people not doing it?

* Hibernians for youth, STs, HTs, lotto, stones, merchandise, Hibs TV, sponsorship of players, hospitality.

I'm not claiming that KFK did not exist and it was not my intention to underplay that apologies if it came across like that. Different paths same destination IMO. They're not mutually exclusive .The challenge for the managers fund was finding the right vehicle. . Suzy picked that up.
But don't take my word for it. RIP and Susan can chime in.

IIRC, a Manager's Fund was talked about at the 'Let's Work Together' (now known as 'Working Together') meetings and as VP points out, there were various pitfalls identified so it was shelved, so to speak.

As Kicks for Kids already existed, and all ST sales are ring-fenced for the current Manager to spend, I decided to reach out to the overseas fans since my brother is in Australia (plus all of the other overseas guys/supporters branches) and I reckoned these fans would perhaps like a way of putting money into the Club, help the Manager PLUS ensure children get along to games when they might not be able to otherwise (which was the ethos of our great club back in 1875 - inclusion, diversity and equality.

Unfortunately, IMHO, "talked about" was about as far as the idea got within the LWT group :wink: so I decided to go it alone and Leith Links (LL) was formed in June 2013. It ran alongside Hibs.net's successful fundraiser for KfK STs for a year ( I think!) before the admins very kindly offered to allow me to join forces with them and all donations then went through LL. The only difference between the .net campaign and LL's was I was able to offer DDs and standing orders but as .net had so many other payments to contend with, it wasn't feasible for them to facilitate this.

Re the part in red, above, this is indeed the case but I'm waiting on Hibs confirming the finer points as they're looking to expand the Kicks for Kids scheme to not just season tickets :aok:

Craigyno1
20-07-2017, 08:53 AM

Absolutely 100%