PDA

View Full Version : Most legendary singular Hibs player

Navids Numpties
18-07-2017, 05:54 PM
In your opinion, who is the greatest, most legendary Hibs player of all time? Hard one for me, although probably David Gray. As a young hibs fan I haven't seen much to label legendary status but for his goal alone he receives this status. Lewis is up there and Liam Henderson aswell is also up there for me.

.Sean.
18-07-2017, 05:55 PM
David Gray by a million miles.

Jack Ferrigan
18-07-2017, 06:04 PM
It depends on when your "era" is or was.
Gordon Smith Eddie Turnbull Lawrie Reilly from that era. Alan Gordon Alex Cropley Pat Stanton from the Turnbull era. So it would be a difficult one for me to decide.

thebausburst
18-07-2017, 06:12 PM
i adored Latapy and am old enough to see us sign a forward from Barcelona who went on to break our then tynie hoodo, loved him too:not worth

Earlydelivery
18-07-2017, 06:15 PM
Stanton ....king of kings .

Juice-Terry
18-07-2017, 06:15 PM
Pat Stanton. Close thread.

AgentDaleCooper
18-07-2017, 06:18 PM
In the modern era, SDG everyone. I'm not old enough to have seen stanton, but from what i've read, you'd have to go as far back as him to find a legend of SDG'S magnitude

Pete
18-07-2017, 06:19 PM
I know David Gray scored the winner but one player was head and shoulders above everyone else that day. I wonder why he doesn't enjoy at least an equal legendary status.

I didn't see Pat Stanton so it would have to be someone else.

sleeping giant
18-07-2017, 06:26 PM
Absolutely Sir David.

snooky
18-07-2017, 06:33 PM

For me it's hard to pick from Stanton, Reilly, Baker and Smith.
Probably because I've seen him play more than the others, I'd choose Pat.
I'm afraid none of the new millennium players come close to aforementioned.

OxoHibby
18-07-2017, 06:35 PM
Stanton ....king of kings .

Of the ones I've seen this

Nameless
18-07-2017, 06:37 PM
If it is just players I have seen wear The Green, then it's Sauzee for me.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

My_Wife_Camille
18-07-2017, 06:43 PM
David Gray over anybody who has ever worn the shirt up until now

RoslinInstHibby
18-07-2017, 06:45 PM
Sauzee for me, my all time favourite hibs player

FGR2016
18-07-2017, 06:45 PM
Would have to say SDG, I very much doubt a Hibs player will ever score as meaningful a goal as that again. Captain fantastic. Closely followed by Lewys got two :not worth
Wasn't around to see Stanton play so can't really comment

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
18-07-2017, 06:46 PM
Matt Thornhill.

Tamhere1875
18-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Patrick Gordon Stanton... no contest

The Spaceman
18-07-2017, 07:02 PM
David Gray.

Club captain who has overseen the rebirth of our club and drove us to our single greatest victory ever with our greatest, most dramatic goal ever, having been floored 5 minutes earlier. Ended up being the captain to lift the Scottish Cup at Hampden for the first time in 114 years.

DH1875
18-07-2017, 07:08 PM

:agree::agree::agree: and I never saw him play.

Smartie
18-07-2017, 07:17 PM
For many years people who called certain players "legend" were shouted down for using the phrase too lightly. I do think we should be careful to reserve it for only those who are truly deserving.

All of us will have lived through various different portions of that 114 year run without a Scottish Cup win.

Everyone who contributed to that win is in some way a legend, but it is great to see the recognition that David Gary is getting on this thread for his contribution, as well as Lewis for being the first man in our history to hold both medals.

There is something special about knowing that you can still go along and see both of these legends wearing the green and white, not just making up numbers but probably just about to play at the peak of their powers.

CropleyisGod
18-07-2017, 07:38 PM
In your opinion, who is the greatest, most legendary Hibs player of all time? Hard one for me, although probably David Gray. As a young hibs fan I haven't seen much to label legendary status but for his goal alone he receives this status. Lewis is up there and Liam Henderson aswell is also up there for me.

I needed to reread the question a few times!

Greatest player ever to play for Hibs must be Gordon Smith even if he is just a black and white photo in a book. Won three league championship medals with Hibs and two more with other (lesser) clubs. Sadly I never saw him play.

The most legendary I've seen? For sheer adulation from multiple generations of Hibees and a scoring record that defies belief...Joe Baker. I only saw him once, on his return debut against Aberdeen. The memory of that game still makes me well up.

For being a great player in great and poor teams, and MR HIBS, Pat Stanton. Pat was my boyhood hero although I was spoilt for choice...Heriot, Brownlee, Schaedler, Blackley, Black, Stanton, Edwards, O'Rourke, Gordon, Cropley, Duncan. [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Scorrie
18-07-2017, 07:41 PM
Benny!!

beensaidbefore
18-07-2017, 07:44 PM

Greatest player ever to play for Hibs must be Gordon Smith even if he is just a black and white photo in a book. Won three league championship medals with Hibs and two more with other (lesser) clubs. Sadly I never saw him play.

The most legendary I've seen? For sheer adulation from multiple generations of Hibees and a scoring record that defies belief...Joe Baker. I only saw him once, on his return debut against Aberdeen. The memory of that game still makes me well up.

For being a great player in great and poor teams, and MR HIBS, Pat Stanton. Pat was my boyhood hero although I was spoilt for choice...Heriot, Brownlee, Schaedler, Blackley, Black, Stanton, Edwards, O'Rourke, Gordon, Cropley, Duncan. [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Dad, is that you? 😂

CropleyisGod
18-07-2017, 07:45 PM
Benny!!

I knew someone would start to take this thread seriously eventually [emoji106]

Scouse Hibee
18-07-2017, 07:46 PM
In more than 25 years of watching Hibs not sure I can class any one player as being a Hibs legend in my mind. Given that that the Cup Final Winning squad gave me my greatest day in football ever bar none, I would have to list the whole squad as being of legendary status.

Green Blood
18-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Players that I have seen......

1st Pat Stanton
2nd Eric Schaedler
3rd Jimmy O'Rourke
4th Joe Baker

5th Frank Sauzee
6th Russell Latapy
7th Derek Riordan

8th David Gray
9th Lewis Stevenson
10th Anthony Stokes

Any of Turnbull/Ormond/Reilly/Johnston/Smith but never seen them play in the flesh

Famous Fiver
18-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Gordon Smith.

snooky
18-07-2017, 08:10 PM
Players that I have seen......

1st Pat Stanton
2nd Eric Schaedler
3rd Jimmy O'Rourke
4th Joe Baker

5th Frank Sauzee
6th Russell Latapy
7th Derek Riordan

8th David Gray
9th Lewis Stevenson
10th Anthony Stokes

Any of Turnbull/Ormond/O'Reilly/Johnston/Smith but never seen them play in the flesh

O'Reilly? Who he? :greengrin

Carheenlea
18-07-2017, 08:15 PM
Winning three League Championships with three different clubs, none of which were Rangers or Celtic, will never be achieved again. Some say he was the finest to ever grace the Scottish game.
I wish I had seen Gordon Smith play for Hibs.

Green Blood
18-07-2017, 08:20 PM
O'Reilly? Who he? :greengrin

lol typo!

Cat Stanton
18-07-2017, 08:27 PM

Don't know why, but I thought you might have gone for Cropley. Call it a sixth sense. Maybe you should change your user-name...??!!

hhibs
18-07-2017, 08:29 PM

:top marks

gillythehibby
18-07-2017, 08:31 PM
I aaw George Best but he was finished. Has to be Frank Sauzee all day long. Absolute class !

gogsy23
18-07-2017, 08:37 PM
Le God!!

Jonnyboy
18-07-2017, 08:39 PM
Of those I've seen, in their prime, Pat Stanton by a long way

cmcd
18-07-2017, 08:44 PM

I loved Pat Stanton and he agrees with me Willie Hamilton was different class

CropleyisGod
18-07-2017, 08:46 PM
Don't know why, but I thought you might have gone for Cropley. Call it a sixth sense. Maybe you should change your user-name...??!!

I'm inconsistent. A bit like Benny was...

Bostonhibby
18-07-2017, 08:59 PM
It's Pat Stanton by a long way for me.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
18-07-2017, 09:03 PM
In all seriousness, of all time it'd be Stanton or Turnbull.

Of the current team most likely to be up there, it's not just on field achievements that dictate who is and who isn't a legend. It's how a player represents a club on and off the field as well. I can't wait to tell youngsters attending Easter Road in 30-40 years time about watching Lewis Stevenson's performances in the derbies, cup games and throughout his career. The humblest of men with the heart of a warrior on the pitch. The only double cup winner in the green and white.

Fanforlife
18-07-2017, 09:09 PM
Winning three League Championships with three different clubs, none of which were Rangers or Celtic, will never be achieved again. Some say he was the finest to ever grace the Scottish game.
I wish I had seen Gordon Smith play for Hibs.5 mate. 3 with hibs 1 at Hearts and 1 at Dundee💚😈

Is It On....
18-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Started watching Hibs in the 80s..so not much to celebrate in the early days. First hero was Archibald..great player and can still remember THAT goal. Andy Goram was next..one of the best players I ever saw wear a Hibs shirt (despite his latter persona). Collins never really did it for me (great player but too self important) so Keith Wright and Micky Weir were next, if only for their role as genuine Hibees winning the League Cup. Next were LeGod and Latapy ...two fantastic players. The 2000s we have the Golden Generation but can anyone really see past Mr Riordan..two footed goalscorer..did he make enough of his career..probably not but what a player and he loved scoring against THEM (they also hated him which is also a vote of approval). Then we have LG who was a moment of brightness in an otherwise downward spiral. Finally we have the 2016 team. Lots of great players (JC, Hanlon & McGregor to name but 3) but difficult to pick one out but Stokes was fantastic that day and probably should have got a hatrick. So the best player I have seen for Hibs? It's a toss-up between Archibald and Goram but my favourite player was Derek (could he still do a job for us) Riordan. What a truly talented player and a fantastic goalscorer!!

Nutmegged
18-07-2017, 09:38 PM
of all time? Lawrie Reilly or Pat Stanton

My own personal choice: Pat McGinlay with Micky Weir a very close second.

--------
18-07-2017, 09:50 PM

'Of all time'? Impossible to say. But I would suggest that any one of the Famous Five, or Joe Baker, or Pat Stanton are way ahead of DG in this particular contest.

My own choice would be Gordon Smith. He's the one the Huns where I live are quickest to bad mouth, closely followed by Lawrie Reilly.

Stantons Angel
18-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Im glad someone at last mentioned George Best..... by far the finest player i have ever seen play the game....

As a Hibs player there is only one and no one, not even your Sir David Gray, for all his exploits in the Scottish Cup Final of 2016, could lace PAT STANTON'S boots!

The man was majestic and carried his team through games pushing them forward all the time. Granted he was ably assisted by some of the best footballers in Scotland at the time but NO ONE could live with him when he got going. His passing, his running off the ball and his positioning made him the all round footballer and my Hibs hero till this day!

Not even one of the cup winning side would have lived up to his name, that is how good and how much he meant to that Hibs side of the 70's.

ian cruise
18-07-2017, 09:53 PM
Been a fan since the great adventure under McLeish and seen some true talents, Sauzee, Latapy, Brown, Riordan to name a few but for me has to be Gray. Largely to the Cup final but not purely down to that.

He's a grateful captain even if he not our best ever right back. He cares he is prepared to grab our team by the scruff of the neck, burst forward and try win a game himself. His final display was our own version of Roy Jane's champions league semi final display where he decided if the team wouldn't win it he'd just do it himself. I know a few have said Whittaker will be our first choice right back but I can't see him displacing him unless there was a real dip in form.

surreyhibbie
18-07-2017, 10:05 PM
Im glad someone at last mentioned George Best..... by far the finest player i have ever seen play the game....

As a Hibs player there is only one and no one, not even your Sir David Gray, for all his exploits in the Scottish Cup Final of 2016, could lace PAT STANTON'S boots!

The man was majestic and carried his team through games pushing them forward all the time. Granted he was ably assisted by some of the best footballers in Scotland at the time but NO ONE could live with him when he got going. His passing, his running off the ball and his positioning made him the all round footballer and my Hibs hero till this day!

Not even one of the cup winning side would have lived up to his name, that is how good and how much he meant to that Hibs side of the 70's.

Pat Stanton all day long.

PatHead
18-07-2017, 10:18 PM
Been a fan since the great adventure under McLeish and seen some true talents, Sauzee, Latapy, Brown, Riordan to name a few but for me has to be Gray. Largely to the Cup final but not purely down to that.

He's a grateful captain even if he not our best ever right back. He cares he is prepared to grab our team by the scruff of the neck, burst forward and try win a game himself. His final display was our own version of Roy Jane's champions league semi final display where he decided if the team wouldn't win it he'd just do it himself. I know a few have said Whittaker will be our first choice right back but I can't see him displacing him unless there was a real dip in form.

Pat Stanton for me. John Brownlie probably the best right back. SDG still a legend though.

Green Cabbage 7
18-07-2017, 10:20 PM
Best players I've seen sauzee and Latapy, but I always remember speaking to 2 older gentlemen at different times old enough to see the famous five and tonthem no one has ever came close to Gordon Smith, not just in hibs terms but as the best player of all time for them. Even the legendary Reilly states that Gordon Smith was the jewel in the crown, read the book by his son and it seems teams all over wanted him from Brazil to the continent and the big teams in England! Even the Huns legend Baxter said he was his idol! All in the book mind.

Scouse Hibee
18-07-2017, 10:24 PM
Pity I never saw Pat Stanton, going by some of the comments on here he was head and shoulders above everyone else as a player.

calumhibee1
18-07-2017, 10:29 PM
'Of all time'? Impossible to say. But I would suggest that any one of the Famous Five, or Joe Baker, or Pat Stanton are way ahead of DG in this particular contest.

I'm sorry but the idea that anyone is more of a Hibernian legend than SDG is debatable, but I can almost accept that some people will see the FF, PS etc as bigger legends. But to suggest they're way ahead is doing a discredit to the man that gave every single one of us the greatest moment we have or ever will have supporting Hibs.

mjh
18-07-2017, 10:32 PM
Without question Gordon Smith is the one - Joe baker and pat Stanton come 2nd and 3rd respectively

Kato
18-07-2017, 10:46 PM
Pity I never saw Pat Stanton, going by some of the comments on here he was head and shoulders above everyone else.

He was mate. Sounds like rose tinted glasses but I always refer to a couple of Celtic supporting pals who watched him in the season and a bit he played for them in his twilight years. They both said they'd be watching him like a hawk and at the end of that season the verdict was "He just doesn't make any mistakes". A great Centre-Back, graceful and speedy in midfield, hard as nails and chipped in with 10 goals a season. One game when he scored 2 against Rangers stands out in a 2-1 win. Another is the 1972 League Cup Final where he made a fantastic Celtic midfield look like they were treading through molasses. Against Hearts he just usually slipped down to 2nd gear and take the piss. My favourite was a 3-0 win against Rangers in the Drybrough Cup at ER weeks after they had won the Cup Winners Cup in Barcelona. They couldn't live with Stanton that night and couldn't get near him to kick him - try as they might, and they tried. I cried like a baby when he left Hibs. Think of a sleeker, faster Sauzee with more presence of mind and a greater understanding of where team-mates are on the park and thats a little bit like Pat.

monktonharp
18-07-2017, 10:48 PM
David Gray.

Club captain who has overseen the rebirth of our club and drove us to our single greatest victory ever with our greatest, most dramatic goal ever, having been floored 5 minutes earlier. Ended up being the captain to lift the Scottish Cup at Hampden for the first time in 114 years.that is a fair comment:greengrin I have to go for Sir Patrick of Stanton obviously with my age and will stick by that. just the Ultimate performer, and coolest under pressure added to his various goals scored at vital moments. his equaliser in the 92/93rd min at Tynie for example. However, Sir David Gray, and I will give him that title was absolutely immense in the SC Final. not just for the winning goal but if you have watched the game a few times :greengrin:cb you will see how much he drove us on with a determination to win. he's up there with most of our greats.

Blaster
18-07-2017, 10:48 PM
Surprised John Collins hasn't had a mention

monktonharp
18-07-2017, 10:56 PM
Surprised John Collins hasn't had a mentionI think he has been mentioned mate. I remember saying to my youngest boy, watch him, wont see many as good as him for years wearing a Hibs top.

jacomo
18-07-2017, 11:03 PM
Surprised John Collins hasn't had a mention

Great player. Typical Hibs player too.

Some clubs (Newcastle) worship their strikers. Some their wingers (Ajax).

Hibs love our midfielders, the guys who make us play.

HoboHarry
18-07-2017, 11:17 PM
I am old enough to have watched Pat Stanton and marvelous as he was, it's still Le God for me. Those old enough to remember saw Stanton in his prime while we only saw the twilight years of Franck, but even then it was clear he would have been a first pick in every Hibs team in history.

Squealing pig
19-07-2017, 03:26 AM
Gotta b the hammer of the huns ....Tony stokes

BSEJVT
19-07-2017, 09:56 AM
In my 50 years supporting Hibs it could only be Pat Stanton

Pat had absolutely everything and I wonder how much he would have been worth today?

Take John Stones as an example of a guy who can defend (supposedly) and play as well and he went for nearly 40 million.

With absolutely no hyperbole involved he isn't fit to lace Pat's boots.

That's not to detract from some wonderful performances (eg Stokes & Gray in Cup Final) or even the odd season or two of class (e.g. Sauzee & the rest of the Tornadoes) but for turning it on for years on end, in my lifetime it can only be Pat Stanton

Added to that he was a great captain and a great Hibs man and even his latter day misguided involvements will never tarnish that for me.

Souter96Mac
19-07-2017, 10:02 AM
For me it has to be David Gray. Not a unbelievably quality player, but his effort and his goal in the cup final will live on in my memory.

banarc7062
19-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Gordon Smith Eddie Turnbull Lawrie Reilly from that era. Alan Gordon Alex Cropley Pat Stanton from the Turnbull era. So it would be a difficult one for me to decide.

You are talking my era here, Jack. GGTTH

--------
19-07-2017, 10:17 AM
I'm sorry but the idea that anyone is more of a Hibernian legend than SDG is debatable, but I can almost accept that some people will see the FF, PS etc as bigger legends. But to suggest they're way ahead is doing a discredit to the man that gave every single one of us the greatest moment we have or ever will have supporting Hibs.

"Ever will have"? You satisfied with on Scottish Cup? You don't want more and bigger? :bitchy:

The OP reads "of all time". That means EVER. Three championships, the inaugural European Cup, and a career spanning the period of Hibs' greatest success (from the Second World War till the mid-late 50's) all that speaks for itself. That's no discredit to David Gray or the rest of the Cup-winning team.

Guys of my father's generation would hear my generation raving about Pat S, and their answer was always, "Aye, Pat's a great player, but you never saw Gordon Smith".

I have a canvas print of King Pat scoring the opener at Hampden in 1972 - the first trophy win since the Famous Five - and I treasure my memories of him. He was awesome, and my heart would put him forward here. But my head and my reason say "Gordon Smith".

And how do you know what was MY greatest moment supporting Hibs? Or anyone else's? Hm?

Keith_M
19-07-2017, 10:28 AM
I don't think you can really award Legend status to any of the current players, although I understand why lots of people would disagree in regards to members of the Cup winniing team. I'd say the achievement itself was legendary.

IMO, the word Legend can only be appled to players that were genuinely among the greatest of their generation, like Smith, Johnstone and Cormack (each of these three players also had fantastic careers after leaving Hibs).

Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted if some of the current bunch went on to have 'legendary' careers but such is football nowadays that, if they did, it would unlikely to be at Hibs.

--------
19-07-2017, 10:53 AM
I don't think you can really award Legend status to any of the current players, although I understand why lots of people would disagree in regards to members of the Cup winniing team. I'd say the achievement itself was legendary.

IMO, the word Legend can only be appled to players that were genuinely among the greatest of their generation, like Smith, Johnstone and Cormack (each of these three players also had fantastic careers after leaving Hibs).

Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted if some of the current bunch went on to have 'legendary' careers but such is football nowadays that, if they did, it would unlikely to be at Hibs.

:agree:

lord bunberry
19-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Sir David Gray for me. He's not the the best player I've ever seen, but he is a true legend.

High-On-Hibs
19-07-2017, 11:19 AM
I think it's unfair to compare the players of today to the players back then. Football is a whole different ball game now. We'll undoubtedly never attract the calibre of players that we did back then. The gap in the distribution of money in the footballing world today is far greater than it was back then.

I think we need to judge players on the now, rather than comparing them to the players of the past. In modern times, the likes of David Grey, Lewis Stevenson and Anthony Stokes are all Hibernian legends. A Scottish Cup win or a 3rd place (possibly 2nd) finish in the top league is the best we can hope for these days.

Kato
19-07-2017, 11:25 AM
I think it's unfair to compare the players of today to the players back then. Football is a whole different ball game now. We'll undoubtedly never attract the calibre of players that we did back then. The gap in the distribution of money in the footballing world today is far greater than it was back then.

I think we need to judge players on the now, rather than comparing them to the players of the past. In modern times, the likes of David Grey, Lewis Stevenson and Anthony Stokes are all Hibernian legends. A Scottish Cup win or a 3rd place (possibly 2nd) finish in the top league is the best we can hope for these days.

I don't think it's unfair - just reality. Hence why I think Stanton is a better candidate than Sauzee.

Sir David Gray
19-07-2017, 11:38 AM
I'm surprised if anyone picks someone other than David Gray.

The guy scored the goal which fulfilled dream of a lifetime and gave me the best day of my life.

No other Hibs player has even come close to doing that.

CockneyRebel
19-07-2017, 11:47 AM

It was this man that drew me to Easter Road when my wife dragged me back to live in her home town. We have had some great players since (Sauzee, Latapy, Cormack etc.) but this man epitomises what the term "football legend" should have next to it in the dictionary.

mim
19-07-2017, 11:48 AM

This :agree:

19-07-2017, 11:55 AM
David Gray.

Club captain who has overseen the rebirth of our club and drove us to our single greatest victory ever with our greatest, most dramatic goal ever, having been floored 5 minutes earlier. Ended up being the captain to lift the Scottish Cup at Hampden for the first time in 114 years.

Yep absolutely. To be the captain who led us to the SC as well as being the one to grab the winning goal in a last minute winner plus also be the captain whos led us back to where we belong in the premier league.

Greatest player who has ever played for the club? No. But his heroics will forever be spoken about. He led the greatest day in our history.

Smartie
19-07-2017, 12:04 PM
There are different reasons why a player might be considered to be a legend.

Stanton is an obvious candidate due to how good a player he was over such a long period.

Gray is entirely deserving in his own right though. Our miserable record in the Scottish Cup was a massive part of the story of our club. For the first time, certainly in my lifetime, we were within touching distance of being able to do it. His leadership, his performance and his goal epitomised the sort of spirit that we had all too often lacked, and showed us what it took to make the dream a reality.

Leith_Hibee
19-07-2017, 12:08 PM
I'd need to go for Sir David Gray, not the most gifted of players but he is a legend for the biggest, most important goal in the clubs history. I think if the same question is posed in 10 years time we will have a more romantic notion of Sir David Gray's contribution to the Hibees.

There are two players that are close to SDG but didn't do anything as special as that day in May. Steve Archibald was quality, can you imagine Hibs signing a player from Barcelona again! He oozed class. Also Franck Sauzee was quality, I would love to see him back at ER one day so we can thank him for gracing ER with his technique...they way he left the club was disappointing.

My_Wife_Camille
19-07-2017, 12:17 PM

Different people have different definitions for what a legend is, it would seem.

For me me a legend doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with their ability as a footballer.

Bad Martini
19-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Impossible to get agreement on this as it's down to perception and individual views. There is no "right or wrong" answer.

However, on pure footballing ability, skill and devotion to the cause, you will be hard pressed to find a better player than Gordon Smith. The best player I never seen play. I take advice under caution. The more I hear something, from a broad spectrum of people (some of whom, I trust and respect) the more likely I am to trust that viewpoint. I've heard enough and read enough from people with first hand experience including teammates and others of an older generation who witnessed the man to know that it takes a lot to get such praise. Smith. The best. Lawrie Reilly's hero. How much more praise do you need?

Any of the 5 though in reality would be good choices; to do as they done, with the resources back then wont be equalled. Yes, they failed to win the Scottish Cup...look what they DID achieve and back in a day when times were so different and rules (and application thereof) were different.

Stanton was and is a legend and is pretty much the most Mr Hibs you will find alive these days, of the former playing variety. Still remember him telling me to respect the shirt as I fumbled along Albion Road munching a Greggs pie early one Saturday morning and spilling a bit mince on the shirt (fair dues, slastering I was) :greengrin

Modern era; you'll need to look hard to find a better goalscorer than Riordan, save for Griffiths maybe though I still remember Deek's goals with much joy. Much much joy. Sparky done a job too tho...and then some.

Yes, our cup winning team were legendary but legend status cannot and should not come as easily as a run of cup matches for every player or even a cup winning scorer in my view. Long term contribution to the cause does that. HOWEVER, Gray and Stokesy and the rest of the lads should be given the respect they deserve for being the first team in (a few) years to win that cup. Remember though; we were and are more than just the Scottish Cup. IT was great to win; ****ing braw as it goes and to beat the huns was exceptionally brilliantly braw to boot....BUT, we are far more than just a team that eventually won the Scottish Cup. And that's due to the aforementioned legends.

Make me pick, it must be Smith. Stanton close behind and level with the rest of the Famous Five. Beyond that, the term should be used a bit more sparingly I reckon.

Good to have such a choice though :greengrin unlike some **** pub teams and newly formed co's (who have never won the Scottish Cup I add) :flag:

Its good to be green. God is a Hibby.

ENDOF

ben johnson
19-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Apart from scoring the Cup winning goal and changing the whole direction our Club was heading off the park and on it , helping boost season ticket sales , giving long suffering supporters a magical day, welding young fans to the club for life, sickening thousands of Jambos and tearing up their songbook and swamping Edinburgh with thousands of Hibs one fine Sunday what's David Gray ever done for us ?

chinaman
19-07-2017, 01:59 PM
Pat stanton..class on and off the pitch

hibeeron
19-07-2017, 02:05 PM
Joe Baker and Pat Stanton both my hero's and legends

Earlydelivery
19-07-2017, 02:08 PM

That's the very first game I remember being at .... Joe baker . White boots , and ginger sidelappers !!!!
hooked after that .

stantonsboots
19-07-2017, 02:28 PM
Pat Stanton :top marks

DarlingtonHibee
19-07-2017, 02:30 PM
Pat and Frank, two number 4's,both legends.

19-07-2017, 02:34 PM
I'd need to go for Sir David Gray, not the most gifted of players but he is a legend for the biggest, most important goal in the clubs history. I think if the same question is posed in 10 years time we will have a more romantic notion of Sir David Gray's contribution to the Hibees.

There are two players that are close to SDG but didn't do anything as special as that day in May. Steve Archibald was quality, can you imagine Hibs signing a player from Barcelona again! He oozed class. Also Franck Sauzee was quality, I would love to see him back at ER one day so we can thank him for gracing ER with his technique...they way he left the club was disappointing.

Suprised Sauzee has never returned to ER as a visiter. Maybe still holds a grudge or some bitterness about how his time here ended?

I don't know, but I would love to see him return one day so the fans can give him the reception he deserves. Magnificent player that just oozed class.

emerald green
19-07-2017, 05:44 PM
It all depends on what is meant by the expression "legendary" I suppose.

I didn't see the following two players in their playing days, but from what I've been told by many who did (supporters of Hibs, Hearts, Celtic, Rangers and many other clubs too), and what the history books tell me, it would be between Gordon Smith and Laurie Reilly.

snooky
19-07-2017, 05:52 PM
Suprised Sauzee has never returned to ER as a visiter. Maybe still holds a grudge or some bitterness about how his time here ended?

I don't know, but I would love to see him return one day so the fans can give him the reception he deserves. Magnificent player that just oozed class.

He must have been asked many times and he has had many opportunities to bury his hatchet. The fact that he has made no contact - not even a twit, tweet or a twoo speaks volumes. He doesn't want to know and if that's how he feels then so be it.
The ball's still in his court.

Stantons Angel
19-07-2017, 06:46 PM
Pat and Frank, two number 4's,both legends.

IMO Sauzee was the only player who did that no4 jersey justice after Pat Stanton....

sleeping giant
19-07-2017, 10:37 PM
Sorry folks but I don't agree that Sauzee is a legend.
Great player aye but he ain't no Sir David.

Jamesie
19-07-2017, 10:45 PM
Also Franck Sauzee was quality, I would love to see him back at ER one day so we can thank him for gracing ER with his technique...they way he left the club was disappointing.

What I am about to say will be controversial in some quarters but while Franck Sauzee was a fantastic footballer and a nice guy to talk to, the passage of time erodes any legendary qualities for me. Sure, things didn't end well but time heals - however fifteen years on we haven't heard a peep from him and not for the want of trying on the part of fans who wanted to engage. I get the feeling ours is more of a one-way love affair with Franck than is the case with, say, Lewis Stevenson for example.

Jamesie
19-07-2017, 10:49 PM
He must have been asked many times and he has had many opportunities to bury his hatchet. The fact that he has made no contact - not even a twit, tweet or a twoo speaks volumes. He doesn't want to know and if that's how he feels then so be it.
The ball's still in his court.

That's up to him - but you don't come along to this club for three years then ignore us forevermore and get legendary status IMHO. There's a lot more to it than that - the kind of thing that the Pat Stantons, Lewis Stevensons and David Grays understand.

sleeping giant
19-07-2017, 10:53 PM
What I am about to say will be controversial in some quarters but while Franck Sauzee was a fantastic footballer and a nice guy to talk to, the passage of time erodes any legendary qualities for me. Sure, things didn't end well but time heals - however fifteen years on we haven't heard a peep from him and not for the want of trying on the part of fans who wanted to engage. I get the feeling ours is more of a one-way love affair with Franck than is the case with, say, Lewis Stevenson for example.

Completely agree James.
It's a one way relationship .

Deansy
19-07-2017, 10:53 PM
I've never been able to pick my favourite legend so I'll just opt for all of 'Turnbull's Tornadoes' - each and every one of them are MY legends ! Played the game as only you can imagine in the wildest of your dreams !

PeeJay
20-07-2017, 07:40 AM
My personal preference would be the guy I watched week-in-week-out - Pat Stanton - for his many years of club loyalty and outstanding performances - as posted elsewhere Mr Hibs - I never saw the young Joe Baker or any of the famous five but they and the entire TT team make my list too ...

--------
20-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Impossible to get agreement on this as it's down to perception and individual views. There is no "right or wrong" answer.

However, on pure footballing ability, skill and devotion to the cause, you will be hard pressed to find a better player than Gordon Smith. The best player I never seen play. I take advice under caution. The more I hear something, from a broad spectrum of people (some of whom, I trust and respect) the more likely I am to trust that viewpoint. I've heard enough and read enough from people with first hand experience including teammates and others of an older generation who witnessed the man to know that it takes a lot to get such praise. Smith. The best. Lawrie Reilly's hero. How much more praise do you need?

Any of the 5 though in reality would be good choices; to do as they done, with the resources back then wont be equalled. Yes, they failed to win the Scottish Cup...look what they DID achieve and back in a day when times were so different and rules (and application thereof) were different.

Stanton was and is a legend and is pretty much the most Mr Hibs you will find alive these days, of the former playing variety. Still remember him telling me to respect the shirt as I fumbled along Albion Road munching a Greggs pie early one Saturday morning and spilling a bit mince on the shirt (fair dues, slastering I was) :greengrin

Modern era; you'll need to look hard to find a better goalscorer than Riordan, save for Griffiths maybe though I still remember Deek's goals with much joy. Much much joy. Sparky done a job too tho...and then some.

Yes, our cup winning team were legendary but legend status cannot and should not come as easily as a run of cup matches for every player or even a cup winning scorer in my view. Long term contribution to the cause does that. HOWEVER, Gray and Stokesy and the rest of the lads should be given the respect they deserve for being the first team in (a few) years to win that cup. Remember though; we were and are more than just the Scottish Cup. IT was great to win; ****ing braw as it goes and to beat the huns was exceptionally brilliantly braw to boot....BUT, we are far more than just a team that eventually won the Scottish Cup. And that's due to the aforementioned legends.

Make me pick, it must be Smith. Stanton close behind and level with the rest of the Famous Five. Beyond that, the term should be used a bit more sparingly I reckon.

Good to have such a choice though :greengrin unlike some **** pub teams and newly formed co's (who have never won the Scottish Cup I add) :flag:

ENDOF

mentalhibee
20-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Anthony "the Hun slayer" Stokes!

jdships
20-07-2017, 10:26 AM

Absolutely correct !!
I saw my first Hibs match in 1940 and as you will reallise I have watched many " legends" as well as a good nuimber of " Dumplings"
If I had to choose just one it would have to be GORDON SMITH , both as a player and as a person
I got to know him quite well after he retired and he was a " gwnrtleman " in every way !
There have been quite a few " close runners up" over the years but he " ticked all the boxes " .for me
:hibees

jdships
20-07-2017, 10:32 AM

ENDOF

Great post BM :top marks
As you say those of us who " go back a bit" will always lean to the " Famous Five" - and why not ?
We we just born at the right time :greengrin

Killiehibbie
20-07-2017, 01:47 PM
Pat Stanton lived our dream.

JeMeSouviens
20-07-2017, 02:00 PM
Ally MacLeod, my boyhood hero. :not worth

Slow, lazy ... ****ing brilliant!

confused
20-07-2017, 06:59 PM
If you ever watched him ? It only be Pat Stanton , my all time hero , To me Pat is Hibs !

Scouse Hibee
20-07-2017, 07:39 PM

Spot on, nowhere near a Hibs legend for me.