PDA

View Full Version : Players ignoring fans

18-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Just seen a video posted online (i've tried to post the link but can't seem to do it) of the Liverpool team getting aboard their team bus and completely ignoring all their fans whos are asking for autographs. A couple of them even shake their heads.

Now I don't know the story behind this, I don't know if for whatever reason they were told not to. I doubt that though because Milner and Sturridge did stop and sign a couple autographs but the rest just absolutely blanked their fans.

Really poor IMO, the fans are the ones that make these guys what they are. These guys are very privileged to be able to play football for a living and they are paid extremely well for doing so. I understand players getting a bit pissed off being harassed by fans for photos, autographs etc when they are trying to have a meal with their family or on a night out but the liverpool players in the video i was referring too were on duty.

Very disrespectful IMO. I love how engaging the hibs team is. I've met a few of them and they are so lovely and i've seen them all outside the West stand after games taking time to speak to fans, get selfies taken, autographs etc. I'd be very disappointed if they were to blank the fans.

Think someone need to remind these guys that if it wasn't for fans they wouldn't have the money and the lifestyles that they do. Taking a few minutes out your time to get a picture or an autograph a small price to pay and really not a big inconvinience but it could make someones day.

Pete
18-07-2017, 02:46 PM
Just seen a video posted online (i've tried to post the link but can't seem to do it) of the Liverpool team getting aboard their team bus and completely ignoring all their fans whos are asking for autographs. A couple of them even shake their heads.

Now I don't know the story behind this, I don't know if for whatever reason they were told not to. I doubt that though because Milner and Sturridge did stop and sign a couple autographs but the rest just absolutely blanked their fans.

Really poor IMO, the fans are the ones that make these guys what they are. These guys are very privileged to be able to play football for a living and they are paid extremely well for doing so. I understand players getting a bit pissed off being harassed by fans for photos, autographs etc when they are trying to have a meal with their family or on a night out but the liverpool players in the video i was referring too were on duty.

Very disrespectful IMO. I love how engaging the hibs team is. I've met a few of them and they are so lovely and i've seen them all outside the West stand after games taking time to speak to fans, get selfies taken, autographs etc. I'd be very disappointed if they were to blank the fans.

Think someone need to remind these guys that if it wasn't for fans they wouldn't have the money and the lifestyles that they do. Taking a few minutes out your time to get a picture or an autograph a small price to pay and really not a big inconvinience but it could make someones day.

It looks to me like they have definitely been told not to and the two players were breaking ranks.

The thing is, can you tell the difference between a genuine fan who will give the shirt to his son and an opportunist who will stick it on eBay? Maybe there are far too many people taking advantage.

The clubs and their players are worth more than ever before, so the value of intellectual property rises with it.

18-07-2017, 02:50 PM
It looks to me like they have definitely been told not to and the two players were breaking ranks.

The thing is, can you tell the difference between a genuine fan who will give the shirt to his son and an opportunist who will stick it on eBay? Maybe there are far too many people taking advantage.

The clubs and their players are worth more than ever before, so the value of intellectual property rises with it.

Well thats surely just as bad, being told to ignore fans.

True, theres a lot of opportunists out there looking for an autograph so they can auction a shirt off on ebay but most are just genuine, starstruck fans who just want a photo or signature from their heroes.

Football without fans is nothing, they're the lifeblood of the game so a couple of minutes of players time is not a lot to ask.

frazeHFC
18-07-2017, 02:53 PM

Lewis Stevenson is my sister's favourite player, so after a game my mum and her friend waited around for him and he signed a card to her - she's 21 but still loved the surprise :tee hee: - and posed for a photo which he was more than happy to do.

Players also clearly appreciated the support last season. Makes a nice change from 5 years ago when there was no connection between the fans and players.

HibernianJK
18-07-2017, 02:56 PM
My Liverpool supporting mate told me today that they get fined by the club if they do any autographs for the fans.

This is due to signed photos etc being on sale in the club shop.

This would explain the video but is ****ing disgusting that these fans are loyal enough to turn out but can't get a picture or a signature from the players.

Pete
18-07-2017, 02:58 PM
Well thats surely just as bad, being told to ignore fans.

True, theres a lot of opportunists out there looking for an autograph so they can auction a shirt off on ebay but most are just genuine, starstruck fans who just want a photo or signature from their heroes.

Football without fans is nothing, they're the lifeblood of the game so a couple of minutes of players time is not a lot to ask.

To some investors, football is indeed nothing without the fans. However, these fans are the ones in places like India, China and the states who buy replica shirts, Sky and Liverpool TV.

Money is making them more detached from the regular fan by the year and it's a shame.

18-07-2017, 02:59 PM
Lewis Stevenson is my sister's favourite player, so after a game my mum and her friend waited around for him and he signed a card to her - she's 21 but still loved the surprise :tee hee: - and posed for a photo which he was more than happy to do.

Players also clearly appreciated the support last season. Makes a nice change from 5 years ago when there was no connection between the fans and players.

The hibs players are great with the fans, makes a change from some of the nomarks we've had in the past that clearly couldn't give a **** about the club or the fans, just happy to pick up a wage and bugger off.

Pete
18-07-2017, 03:01 PM
My Liverpool supporting mate told me today that they get fined by the club if they do any autographs for the fans.

This would explain the video but is ****ing disgusting that these fans are loyal enough to turn out but can't get a picture or a signature from the players.

There you go. Sad.

18-07-2017, 03:07 PM

Didn't know that but if thats true then that just shows you that a lot of the heart has been ripped out football. Genuine fans who have come out and probably waited ages to get a photo or autograph ignored because the club doesn't want to miss out on a wee bit of extra money. Very sad indeed.

The signed photos in the club shop aren't even authentically signed, they're mass produced player photos with the signatures printed on. Thats fine but most people are wanting autographs as a momento of the time they met their hero. The people who want autographs for the purposes of making a shirt or whatever more valuable for sale are in the minority, most are genuine fans.

HibernianJK
18-07-2017, 03:23 PM
Didn't know that but if thats true then that just shows you that a lot of the heart has been ripped out football. Genuine fans who have come out and probably waited ages to get a photo or autograph ignored because the club doesn't want to miss out on any extra money. Very sad indeed.

The signed photos in the club shop aren't even authentically signed, they're mass produced player photos with the signatures printed on. Thats fine but most people are wanting autographs as a momento of the time they met their hero. The people who want autographs for the purposes of making a shirt or whatever more valuable for sale are in the minority, most are genuine fans.

I wasn't aware either but he said no signatures or the like allowed outside Melwood, assuming that's their training ground?

Really is tragic.

heretoday
18-07-2017, 03:39 PM
Insolent yobboes.

scooby
18-07-2017, 04:56 PM

My young kids spotted Lewis shopping with his family in M&S at the gyle last year. Not being the shy and retiring types they went over to say hello. To his and his wife's absolute credit they both spent 5 mins chatting to them. They simply love him more than ever now!

18-07-2017, 05:01 PM
My young kids spotted Lewis shopping with his family in M&S at the gyle last year. Not being the shy and retiring types they went over to say hello. To his and his wife's absolute credit they both spent 5 mins chatting to them. They simply love him more than ever now!

Great to hear! Lewis is a absolute gentleman and one of the nicest, kindest guys you could possibly meet. Met him a couple of times myself and he's so down to earth.

Sir David Gray
18-07-2017, 05:04 PM

If that's true then that's absolutely disgraceful.

snooky
18-07-2017, 05:16 PM

Killing the ducks that are laying the golden eggs.
If that is the reason, then hell mend them.
Another unacceptable face of capitalism.

oldbutdim
18-07-2017, 05:19 PM
If it walks like a duck and it looks like a duck but lays golden eggs it's a goose.

snooky
18-07-2017, 05:23 PM
If it walks like a duck and it looks like a duck but lays golden eggs it's a goose.

:greengrin My mistake "goose".

Duck off :wink:

Scouse Hibee
18-07-2017, 05:34 PM

Total bollox mate.

18-07-2017, 05:52 PM
Total bollox mate.

So the players just decided to ignore them then? Not having a go, I really like Liverpool myself, was just disappointed at seeing them all totally blank the fans. Thought it looked a bit disrespectful.

Scouse Hibee
18-07-2017, 06:22 PM
So the players just decided to ignore them then? Not having a go, I really like Liverpool myself, was just disappointed at seeing them all totally blank the fans. Thought it looked a bit disrespectful.

I don't know what happened today but the players sign plenty of stuff for the fans so to suggest they are not allowed or get fined is incorrect.

Lago
18-07-2017, 06:32 PM

What a sad day for football

Andy74
18-07-2017, 06:52 PM
At that level they'd get nothing else done if they were to sign everything for everyone.

High-On-Hibs
18-07-2017, 07:06 PM
It's just another example of English clubs putting money before their fans. Nothing to see here.

18-07-2017, 08:21 PM
At that level they'd get nothing else done if they were to sign everything for everyone.

Of course they can't sign EVERTHING, but in the video I was reffering too they could have. Would have taken them all of 10 seconds to sign a couple of autographs but instead they dropped their heads and completely ignored the fans. A few of them even shook their heads at fans.

Beefster
19-07-2017, 06:46 AM
Of course they can't sign EVERTHING, but in the video I was reffering too they could have. Would have taken them all of 10 seconds to sign a couple of autographs but instead they dropped their heads and completely ignored the fans. A few of them even shook their heads at fans.

So, if you agree that they can't sign everything, how can you judge what they should sign? Aren't they and the club better placed to do it? For all you know, they might have been rushing to a supporter event. That's the problems with online videos like that - no context.

Pretty Boy
19-07-2017, 07:05 AM
For all the stick Ronaldo gets I always respect the time he gives to his fans.

There's a video on YouTube from after Madrid won their previous Champions League to the latest one. The players are making their way back to the pitch after collecting the trophy and a group of fans in wheelchairs are shouting on them. They all walk past, not with any ill intent I think they are just so in the moment they don't notice them. Last to come along is Ronaldo, he stops and has pictures with every one of them, signs autographs etc. It takes him about 3 minutes but means everything to those kids.

I've no idea of the circumstances of the Liverpool video but most playere are happy to sign autographs and so on. I've no idea why they didn't but I'd wager there's a reason for it.

dp00
19-07-2017, 07:36 AM
I read online that they are banned for giving autographs at the entrance to there training due to safety concerns , apparently number of people on a road or something ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KWJ
19-07-2017, 08:56 AM
As well as items in shops the clubs will also give players community and potentially international outings giving fans official opportunities to meet their stars. There's a big commercial difference between Lewis Stevenson and somebody like Alberto Moreno (even if I wouldn't recognise him walking past me in his Liverpool kit with Moreno no the back).

It's not great and like people are saying it's taking the heart out of the game but that's what the last 30 years have brought with the commercial growth of the Premiership.

Perhaps all of the American owners have made an impact too where in their country teams are 'franchises'. As a Calgary Flames fan - a well followed team - I'm sickened that they might relocate to another city because the people of Calgary don't want a larger stadium to be paid out of their taxes. Madness.

Hibbyradge
19-07-2017, 09:44 AM
The world has changed. Nowadays, the threat of some radge in the crowd having a carving knife and a paranoid grudge is very real.

Fans may be the lifeblood of the game, although there's a debate to be had about which type of fan is more 'lifebloody', but players are pretty important too and I'd rather not see any of their real life blood.

There will be times that players give autographs and times that they won't. We need to understand and accept that.

silverhibee
19-07-2017, 10:57 AM
For all the stick Ronaldo gets I always respect the time he gives to his fans.

There's a video on YouTube from after Madrid won their previous Champions League to the latest one. The players are making their way back to the pitch after collecting the trophy and a group of fans in wheelchairs are shouting on them. They all walk past, not with any ill intent I think they are just so in the moment they don't notice them. Last to come along is Ronaldo, he stops and has pictures with every one of them, signs autographs etc. It takes him about 3 minutes but means everything to those kids.

I've no idea of the circumstances of the Liverpool video but most playere are happy to sign autographs and so on. I've no idea why they didn't but I'd wager there's a reason for it.

Probably security reasons.

19-07-2017, 11:43 AM
So, if you agree that they can't sign everything, how can you judge what they should sign? Aren't they and the club better placed to do it? For all you know, they might have been rushing to a supporter event. That's the problems with online videos like that - no context.

They can't sign every single autograph and the fans accept that but taking 10 seconds to sign a few would be a good gesture and show that you appreciate the support rather than completely blank everyone and shake your head.

You're right, we don't know the context or the back story to it, as I mentioned in my OP, but even if they were rushing off somewhere, a couple autographs would have taken seconds. Maybe there is a perfectly reasonable explanation but I struggle to think of a very good reason why the team would be told to ignore the supporters. Again, fair play to Sturridge and Milner who did stop and sign things, that few seconds of their time probably made someone very happy. Thats what football is all about, bringing joy to people.

Tom Hart RIP
19-07-2017, 02:38 PM
1971 Hibs played Schalke 04 at ER. I waited at the tunnel with my programme and politely held it out to A Schalke player with a pen for him to sign.
He looked right at me (aged 11ot 12) and in perfect English told me to F@&k off.
I've disliked them ever since.
Alex Cropley and John Hazel both signed it tho.
There was a tribute to Jimmy Mccoll that night and the Famous Five were on the pitch. Eddie was manager at the time and this was his second game

19-07-2017, 03:30 PM
1971 Hibs played Schalke 04 at ER. I waited at the tunnel with my programme and politely held it out to A Schalke player with a pen for him to sign.
He looked right at me (aged 11ot 12) and in perfect English told me to F@&k off.
I've disliked them ever since.
Alex Cropley and John Hazel both signed it tho.
There was a tribute to Jimmy Mccoll that night and the Famous Five were on the pitch. Eddie was manager at the time and this was his second game

Thats shocking, especially to a child, what a total ****.

lugz
19-07-2017, 03:34 PM
Most big sports team now take this stance as far as I'm aware. As stated before a lot of the people who are asking for the autographs are people who make a living from doing so. Most if not all teams arrange signings throughout the season for the real fans to attend.