PDA

View Full Version : Dylan McGeouch

Cat Stanton
16-07-2017, 09:37 PM
What's the story re. his injuries? After being taken off in the semi-final - injuring himself while scoring - there was lots of talk of a long-term problem that needed to be sorted out (with surgery, I think). Yet he's back playing, and apparently in great form in the pre-season games (including yesterday, albeit that wasn't officially a pre-season game).

So is he now 100% fit? Or is the underlying problem still there and likely to affect this season, as it has the last two?

Anyone know?

B.H.F.C
16-07-2017, 09:59 PM
What's the story re. his injuries? After being taken off in the semi-final - injuring himself while scoring - there was lots of talk of a long-term problem that needed to be sorted out (with surgery, I think). Yet he's back playing, and apparently in great form in the pre-season games (including yesterday, albeit that wasn't officially a pre-season game).

So is he now 100% fit? Or is the underlying problem still there and likely to affect this season, as it has the last two?

Anyone know?

Don't think we should get carried away with how he looks fitness wise. Worth remembering that he played most of pre season last year, including 120 minutss away to Brondby in the Europa League. But when the league kicked off the old problems reaurfaced.

Just need to hope we can look after him and keep him fit enough to contribute.

MWHIBBIES
16-07-2017, 10:20 PM
Working with a sports psychologist I think, low pain thresh hold means even minor knocks can put him out.

He needs to be managed well and hopefully can become that player for us that we all know he can. I ****ing love him, everything I want in a Hibs player.

Edit - psychologist not physiologist

My_Wife_Camille
16-07-2017, 10:23 PM
Working with a sports physiologist I think, low pain thresh hold means even minor knocks can put him out.

He needs to be managed well and hopefully can become that player for us that we all know he can. I ****ing love him, everything I want in a Hibs player.
The best player at the club imo. Hope he can get himself sorted, whatever it is

Billychaotic182
16-07-2017, 10:29 PM
Working with a sports physiologist I think, low pain thresh hold means even minor knocks can put him out.

I imagine a huge part is psychological. I tore my acl when I was in the army and was medically discharged as I was told I wouldn't be able to pass any fitness tests in the future. I have however recovered and I'm now fitter than I've ever been, but sadly my knee still gives me grief every now and then. But I know a lot of it is just in my head. If I feel a wee tinge it puts the fear up me and I find it hard to continue out of fear of doing my knee in again. I imagine it's the same for Dylan. After missing out on so much football due to injuries it's no surprise he wants off as soon as something tightens.

Big L
16-07-2017, 10:37 PM
Quality player, be great if he got a good run without injury. I'd like to see him giving a role a bit further forward, I think he's got more to offer.. Maybe get some more goals like the one against the Dons.

Scouse Hibee
16-07-2017, 10:40 PM
Quality player when available which is far less than we need. Not worth another contract if he can't prove his fitness consistently.

Brightside
16-07-2017, 10:43 PM
I imagine a huge part is psychological. I tore my acl when I was in the army and was medically discharged as I was told I wouldn't be able to pass any fitness tests in the future. I have however recovered and I'm now fitter than I've ever been, but sadly my knee still gives me grief every now and then. But I know a lot of it is just in my head. If I feel a wee tinge it puts the fear up me and I find it hard to continue out of fear of doing my knee in again. I imagine it's the same for Dylan. After missing out on so much football due to injuries it's no surprise he wants off as soon as something tightens.

"I imagine" just stop there eh. Dylan will continue to have the best healthcare we can give him to keep him at his best

kevinc
16-07-2017, 10:59 PM

Physiologist or psychologist?

MWHIBBIES
16-07-2017, 11:38 PM
Physiologist or psychologist?Sorry, late night brainfart right there. Sports Psychologist.

Billychaotic182
16-07-2017, 11:53 PM
"I imagine" just stop there eh. Dylan will continue to have the best healthcare we can give him to keep him at his best

I never said he wouldn't. Just using my own issues to perhaps understand Dylan's. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

FilipinoHibs
17-07-2017, 01:39 AM

I worry about him all the time.

superfurryhibby
17-07-2017, 06:41 AM
Really hoping McGeouch can maintain fitness and play more this season. He is a very goof footballer and makes us tick when he's on the field. As an aside, I assume the info on the PM board that he was told he can find another club ( this was about a week ago) is utter Tom Kite? It annoys me that people can just drop a wee bombshell like that and never get called out for it. Pleasures of a fans messageboard I suppose.

jeffers
17-07-2017, 07:22 AM
Fully expect another season where he misses lots of games, has some decent ones where his actual contribution is exaggerated and when he is out injured numerous threads on here stating he is our best player and how we miss him.

In reality he's a decent player who looked like a good attacking midfielder who scored goals when at Celtic. For us he rarely creates goal scoring chances and scores even less (one goal in two seasons) but instead prefers to get the ball far too deep, in positions where he doesn't hurt the opposition. Frustrating when you see in the semi what he is capable of when he plays much further forward.

But our best player ? Not for me, Marciano. McGinn, McGregor, Ambrose and Hanlon are all better than him IMO. I also expect Swanson to make a greater contribution this season than him.

BSEJVT
17-07-2017, 07:45 AM
I take it your not really a fan of his :-)

easty
17-07-2017, 07:56 AM
Fully expect another season where he misses lots of games, has some decent ones where his actual contribution is exaggerated and when he is out injured numerous threads on here stating he is our best player and how we miss him.

In reality he's a decent player who looked like a good attacking midfielder who scored goals when at Celtic. For us he rarely creates goal scoring chances and scores even less (one goal in two seasons) but instead prefers to get the ball far too deep, in positions where he doesn't hurt the opposition. Frustrating when you see in the semi what he is capable of when he plays much further forward.

But our best player ? Not for me, Marciano. McGinn, McGregor, Ambrose and Hanlon are all better than him IMO. I also expect Swanson to make a greater contribution this season than him.

He only scored a couple of goals for Celtc, so I dont know what you're on about there.

If every midfielder in the world was only judged on how many goals they scored or directly assisted, there would no doubt be a load of great players who you'd obviously no rate.

When fit Dylan would be a key player for any team in Scotland bar Celtc.

Since90+2
17-07-2017, 08:20 AM
Anybody who has watched Hibs over the last 2 seasons can see the difference in the team with Dylan in it. His ability to keep possession and move the ball quickly is invaluable.

He is very much in the mould of Xavi in that his importance to the team is keeping the ball moving and always being available to take a pass at anytime.

jeffers
17-07-2017, 09:11 AM
He only scored a couple of goals for Celtc, so I dont know what you're on about there.

If every midfielder in the world was only judged on how many goals they scored or directly assisted, there would no doubt be a load of great players who you'd obviously no rate.

When fit Dylan would be a key player for any team in Scotland bar Celtc.

He didn't play many games for Celtic but he played in a more advanced position from the few games I did see him, driving into the box looking to score. That's what I'm on about.

I rate McGinn who doesn't score enough goals, Bartley who never scores goals and before them Claros. So your point about how I judge players is wrong. I've never once said McGeouch isn't a decent player just don't happen to think he contributes enough to get him the adulation he receives on here.

If he is such a great player why were Celtic so willing to offload him ?

Davy Mac
17-07-2017, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE=Since90+2;5104352]Anybody who has watched Hibs over the last 2 seasons can see the difference in the team with Dylan in it. His ability to keep possession and move the ball quickly is invaluable.

He is very much in the mould of Xavi in that his importance to the team is keeping the ball moving and always being available to take a pass at anytime.

Correct about comparisons to Xavi contribution. Sadly Scottish fitba might not be the ideal for a player like Dylan as i think an injury free Dylan would have gone on to better things IMO.

J-C
17-07-2017, 09:28 AM
This is all about squad management, having a decent sized squad with quality means we can rest players like Dylan when needed, keep them fresh and hopefully injury free, obviously this doesn't apply to in game injuries.

Sammy7nil
17-07-2017, 11:08 AM

I would like to see Rocky or any of the others you mention playing in the creative midfield role :greengrin They maybe as good as Dylan would be a keeper ? There is little or imho no doubt Dylan is easily one of our better players when fit we are a far better team with him in it, the only downside is he is rarely in it :greengrin

Sammy7nil
17-07-2017, 11:12 AM
He didn't play many games for Celtic but he played in a more advanced position from the few games I did see him, driving into the box looking to score. That's what I'm on about.

I rate McGinn who doesn't score enough goals, Bartley who never scores goals and before them Claros. So your point about how I judge players is wrong. I've never once said McGeouch isn't a decent player just don't happen to think he contributes enough to get him the adulation he receives on here.

If he is such a great player why were Celtic so willing to offload him ?

Come on now Celtic have a wealth of talented players who can't get a game that does not make those who cant average players it just means there are currently better players at Celtic and there for your chances are very limited. There is no shame in that at all.

jeffers
17-07-2017, 11:46 AM
I would like to see Rocky or any of the others you mention playing in the creative midfield role :greengrin They maybe as good as Dylan would be a keeper ? There is little or imho no doubt Dylan is easily one of our better players when fit we are a far better team with him in it, the only downside is he is rarely in it :greengrin

Think you are under rating Rocky, think he could do a good job in the Holt role ! Maybe not so much in midfield though 😁

jeffers
17-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Come on now Celtic have a wealth of talented players who can't get a game that does not make those who cant average players it just means there are currently better players at Celtic and there for your chances are very limited. There is no shame in that at all.

Absolutely agree. However if DM was as good as I read on here he would be playing for them. Like I say I think he's a decent player just not as good as many on here do. Fair enough it's all about opinions. The player in my avatar would probably get slaughtered if he was playing for us now.

Speedy
17-07-2017, 11:54 AM

The role I see Dylan playing is getting the ball slightly deeper and driving us forward into more dangerous positions.

Alright, he doesn't score much but I don't think anyone else does well at the job he does.

jeffers
17-07-2017, 11:59 AM
The role I see Dylan playing is getting the ball slightly deeper and driving us forward into more dangerous positions.

Alright, he doesn't score much but I don't think anyone else does well at the job he does.

That's not the player I thought he was going to be when we signed him, but that aside I still think he plays too deep. He undoubtedly has the ability to do so much more in terms of hurting teams, as evidenced in the semi. I just like to see him do much more of that.

MWHIBBIES
17-07-2017, 12:18 PM

Ah, another one who thinks midfielders have to get 10 goals 10 assists every season to be important. He looked like a good attacking midfielder, now he is a brilliant deep one.

jeffers
17-07-2017, 01:07 PM
Ah, another one who thinks midfielders have to get 10 goals 10 assists every season to be important. He looked like a good attacking midfielder, now he is a brilliant deep one.

Yeah cos that's exactly what I said :rolleyes:

MWHIBBIES
17-07-2017, 01:13 PM
Yeah cos that's exactly what I said :rolleyes:That is pretty much what you said, yes. There has to be players between Marvin Bartley and Danny Swanson or it all falls to bits. We don't get better than Dylan for that job.

majorhibs
17-07-2017, 08:29 PM
This is all about squad management, having a decent sized squad with quality means we can rest players like Dylan when needed, keep them fresh and hopefully injury free, obviously this doesn't apply to in game injuries.

Is it just me who gets devastated when a quality as we all know player goes off for my team after between 30/70 mins extremely regularly breaking up & jeapordising all the good stuff that's gone on in minutes before? 90 minute game, disruption to team & tactics regularly like that I absolutely hate!

Pat Mcginlay! Oh how I miss a midfielders goals! We haven't actually had that for a good while. I think we need it. Just imagine a 10/15 goal contribution from a midfielder. How better is your season after that? A BIG bit better!

Scouse Hibee
17-07-2017, 09:23 PM
Anybody who has watched Hibs over the last 2 seasons can see the difference in the team with Dylan in it. His ability to keep possession and move the ball quickly is invaluable.

Your last sentence has just described Fyvie.

majorhibs
17-07-2017, 09:47 PM

Nae way Fyvie retained aw the time, lost a lot simple balls. Aw this pie in the sky Xavi comparisons??? Listen, he is good, when playing, but not only does he miss many games for long periods, my main bugbear here, is, like in semi against sheep, his lack of ability to, like almost every other footballer, COMPLETE a 90, disrupts the team, tactics, & ultimately costs us for the result. That needs sorted otherwise imo I don't want to see a player that breaks down so very many times, crucial times, 50/60 minute ish, during games we need to win. I would go with the 90 minute man, & he is not that on previous showings.

Scouse Hibee
17-07-2017, 10:04 PM
Nae way Fyvie retained aw the time, lost a lot simple balls. Aw this pie in the sky Xavi comparisons??? Listen, he is good, when playing, but not only does he miss many games for long periods, my main bugbear here, is, like in semi against sheep, his lack of ability to, like almost every other footballer, COMPLETE a 90, disrupts the team, tactics, & ultimately costs us for the result. That needs sorted otherwise imo I don't want to see a player that breaks down so very many times, crucial times, 50/60 minute ish, during games we need to win. I would go with the 90 minute man, & he is not that on previous showings.

Fyvie lost the ball no more than anyone else in reality. He always showed for the ball was on it far more often than not and so saw more of the ball, hence folk remember when he lost it. As for the rest of your post agreed.

Cat Stanton
17-07-2017, 10:08 PM

Anyone know?

Soooooooooooo, having looked through the thread, the answer to my original question is: "no-one knows; but that won't stop us arguing about various other things". That about it?

GlasgowHibee
17-07-2017, 10:17 PM
Did Andy Webster not have a similar thing at Oldco where he basically couldn't handle the mental side of injuries so turned out he was out crocked at even the slightest niggle.

ancient hibee
17-07-2017, 10:36 PM
So has it now become a Hibs net fact that Dylan has a mental problem with his injury?Is there a source for this rubbish?

SON OF PADDY
17-07-2017, 10:58 PM
So has it now become a Hibs net fact that Dylan has a mental problem with his injury?Is there a source for this rubbish?

I'm not going to name him !
but a senior player told me that Dylan's problem was definitely a mental problem !
I for one believe this to be true.

bigwheel
18-07-2017, 08:24 AM
but a senior player told me that Dylan's problem was definitely a mental problem !

I don't know about you..but I feel I'd know more about my own body, than a teammate would...

SChibs
18-07-2017, 08:30 AM
I don't know about you..but I feel I'd know more about my own body, than a teammate would...

Maybe Dylan told the team mate...

Johnny_Leith
18-07-2017, 08:37 AM

Looks like it has 🙄 embarrassing, people making stuff up to seem ITK.

Everyone in the world has muscular imbalances that cause pain and discomfort. DM obviously has been working very hard to correct this injury and I for one can't wait for us to have him back playing regularly, I maintain he's out best player.

Brightside
18-07-2017, 08:49 AM

Its utter rubbish. I think half the posters have mental problems tbh.

Since90+2
18-07-2017, 08:51 AM

I liked Fyvie and would have liked Lennon to keep him. Dylan is the better player of the two but Fyvie was a useful player to have.

Kato
18-07-2017, 09:26 AM

If this is true i.e. you being told this, that's quite delicate information. Did you not think maybe you should be a bit more circumspect with it?

DTS
18-07-2017, 09:30 AM
Its utter rubbish. I think half the posters have mental problems tbh.

In fairness there is some substance in the suggestion, I personally have struggled with the mental side of an injury and recovery. Also I recall Stubbs suggesting at one point in his second season it was a mental thing with Dylan as well

SON OF PADDY
18-07-2017, 09:36 AM
If this is true i.e. you being told this, that's quite delicate information. Did you not think maybe you should be a bit more circumspect with it?

I've not named anyone!
It's a fan's forum, I thought I'd share this ?
I'm definitely not ITK "Just a fan talking to a player" about our team.

J-C
18-07-2017, 09:56 AM
Dylan has no mental problems, he has a hip imbalance which means the muscles surrounding the hip joint are weaker in certain areas. He needs to do lots of remedial boring exercises which strengthen these muscles, many many players have this problem and it's not uncommon, unfortunately when everything feels fine you start training and playing as if you were 100% then a weaker muscle strains and it's back to square one.

I had heard he's doing pilates and yoga which will help enormously with his core strength and those very deep lying muscles which are the ones causing the problems.

Kato
18-07-2017, 10:11 AM
I've not named anyone!
It's a fan's forum, I thought I'd share this ?
I'm definitely not ITK "Just a fan talking to a player" about our team.

I'm not talking about your, alleged, source. I'm talking about DM's, alleged, mental condition. If some footballer told me that I'd take it with a pinch of salt and keep it under my hat rather than publish it amongst the maelstrom of crap that's been put up here in recent weeks.

Billychaotic182
18-07-2017, 10:29 AM
In fairness there is some substance in the suggestion, I personally have struggled with the mental side of an injury and recovery. Also I recall Stubbs suggesting at one point in his second season it was a mental thing with Dylan as well

That's what I was thinking also but then underscore bit my head off for even suggesting it lol.

I think it's very difficult to get over that mental side. I've struggled with my knee for years and now every time it gets a wee bit sore I have to stop out of fear I'd do it in

Brightside
18-07-2017, 10:44 AM

Stubbs said it in passing in an interview. More a case of maybe the lad is minding his injury too much. BUT not one single person on here has any proof of any Mental weakness with Dylan. Yet we have thread after thread talking about it. Some of our fans need to have a serious look at themselves. THERE IS NO SUBSTANCE in the suggestion.

SON OF PADDY
18-07-2017, 10:55 AM
I'm not talking about your, alleged, source. I'm talking about DM's, alleged, mental condition. If some footballer told me that I'd take it with a pinch of salt and keep it under my hat rather than publish it amongst the maelstrom of crap that's been put up here in recent weeks.

I take your point mate!
Should of thought before posting.

Certainly wasn't trying to stir up any trouble.

Kato
18-07-2017, 11:44 AM
I take your point mate!
Should of thought before posting.

Certainly wasn't trying to stir up any trouble.

:aok:

Lago
18-07-2017, 11:50 AM
Time this one was knocked on the head

ancient hibee
18-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Time this one was knocked on the head

But not too hard bearing in mind the mental problem :greengrin

Cat Stanton
18-07-2017, 08:29 PM
Dylan has no mental problems, he has a hip imbalance which means the muscles surrounding the hip joint are weaker in certain areas. He needs to do lots of remedial boring exercises which strengthen these muscles, many many players have this problem and it's not uncommon, unfortunately when everything feels fine you start training and playing as if you were 100% then a weaker muscle strains and it's back to square one.

I had heard he's doing pilates and yoga which will help enormously with his core strength and those very deep lying muscles which are the ones causing the problems.

Thanks - this is helpful, and even answers my original question. Good to know he doesn't need surgery at least.

DTS
18-07-2017, 08:33 PM
Stubbs said it in passing in an interview. More a case of maybe the lad is minding his injury too much. BUT not one single person on here has any proof of any Mental weakness with Dylan. Yet we have thread after thread talking about it. Some of our fans need to have a serious look at themselves. THERE IS NO SUBSTANCE in the suggestion.

Isn't that all everyone on here is saying? That it's a possibility? The same way you can say people struggle with mental and physical fatigue throughout the season, unless you're Dylan or the medical team at east mains nobody will ever know. As stated I know the effects of an injury being scared of slight knocks every twinge feels serious etc. Nobody is saying he has a mental issue just merely suggesting it MAY be the case

SRHibs
18-07-2017, 08:44 PM
Isn't that all everyone on here is saying? That it's a possibility? The same way you can say people struggle with mental and physical fatigue throughout the season, unless you're Dylan or the medical team at east mains nobody will ever know. As stated I know the effects of an injury being scared of slight knocks every twinge feels serious etc. Nobody is saying he has a mental issue just merely suggesting it MAY be the case

It's not like anyone is calling him a lunatic either, but it is well known that psychological issues can have a physical manifestation. Not that it's necessarily the case here (it seems not to be) but it's certainly nothing to get upset about. People being so precious about mental health just helps reinforce the stigma surrounding it, IMO.

jacomo
18-07-2017, 11:29 PM

Pleased to hear this. Working on flexibility and core strength will surely help.

J-C
19-07-2017, 08:06 AM
Pleased to hear this. Working on flexibility and core strength will surely help.

It's a well known fact that Giggs was an advocate of yoga and he reckons it helped extend his carer by a few years.

jacomo
19-07-2017, 11:34 AM
It's a well known fact that Giggs was an advocate of yoga and he reckons it helped extend his carer by a few years.

:agree:

Giggs had dodgy hamstrings when younger and used to miss a fair few games each season but ended up playing close to his 40th birthday.

Gerrard had chronic pelvic / groin issues but overcame them (removal of wisdom teeth helped I think).

Ok both had the very best healthcare / sports science available but they showed that persistent issues can often be overcome.

Both you and I are on the same page with this I think. Let's be positive and hope Dylan finds the right training regime. He could be such a big player for us this season.

J-C
19-07-2017, 12:32 PM

Giggs had dodgy hamstrings when younger and used to miss a fair few games each season but ended up playing close to his 40th birthday.

Gerrard had chronic pelvic / groin issues but overcame them (removal of wisdom teeth helped I think).

Ok both had the very best healthcare / sports science available but they showed that persistent issues can often be overcome.

Both you and I are on the same page with this I think. Let's be positive and hope Dylan finds the right training regime. He could be such a big player for us this season.