PDA

View Full Version : Commons Back on.

Thecat23
16-07-2017, 09:12 AM
Been told that Lennon is going back for Commons. Already had discussions but nothing more yet.

Last Minute
16-07-2017, 09:16 AM
I thought his back was knackered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith_M
16-07-2017, 09:19 AM
Anybody know his current health/fitness situation?

Thecat23
16-07-2017, 09:20 AM
I thought his back was knackered

So did I. Clearly not if Lennon is wanting him to return.

superfurryhibby
16-07-2017, 09:20 AM
Can't say this is the way forward for Hibs. Much rather we signed a younger, fitter midfielder. A longer loan in January would have shown whether Commons was fit enough to train and play every week. Now is not the time for it.

bigwheel
16-07-2017, 09:22 AM
A fit Commons would be our best player...if he is fit and affordable - I'd be delighted!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

neil7908
16-07-2017, 09:26 AM
Would be happy enough getting him back but only on the right deal for Hibs (i.e 1 year pay as you play or low basic salary with appearance and other bonuses to top it up).

Throw in some coaching and it could work well for both parties.

Sir David Gray
16-07-2017, 09:26 AM
If he's fit, it would be a no brainer.

Edinburgh Green
16-07-2017, 09:27 AM
If true, than this smacks of Lennon scrambling to get someone in after losing out on first choice targets.

CapitalGreen
16-07-2017, 09:30 AM
If true, than this smacks of Lennon scrambling to get someone in after losing out on first choice targets.

Despite the fact Lennon brought him in before in January, he excelled and Lennon was keen for him to stay on?

darwenhibby
16-07-2017, 09:31 AM

About to say something similar
Gives us hope of signing a named player to cushion the losing of stokes couple weeks later
Hibs fail in pursuit of Commons
But hears Pennant

makaveli1875
16-07-2017, 09:32 AM

if he's fit he would be the best player in the squad by a long way

superfurryhibby
16-07-2017, 09:33 AM

Hardly scrambling with six weeks or more left on the window and midfield being an area where we seem well covered for players (Swanson, Martin, Bartley, Boyle, McGinn, McGeouch).

We failed to sign one target who was a goalscoring mdfielder. Who else were we after that we missed out on?

G B Young
16-07-2017, 09:35 AM
Would be a great signing if feasible. His contribution last season, brief as it was, was crucial in steadying the ship and getting us back on track for the title.

Allant1981
16-07-2017, 09:36 AM

sorry thats just rubbish

Keith_M
16-07-2017, 09:37 AM
p.s. Thanks Cat for sharing your info.

:aok:

Allant1981
16-07-2017, 09:37 AM
About to say something similar
Gives us hope of signing a named player to cushion the losing of stokes couple weeks later
Hibs fail in pursuit of Commons
But hears Pennant

when he has already said pennant wont be signing

Stokesy's on fire
16-07-2017, 09:40 AM
Kris Commons is a a superb football player. He made a massive difference in a short space of time when he was loaned to us last season. I will be over the moon if he signs for The Hibees again!

basehibby
16-07-2017, 09:41 AM

WTF??? How to find a negative angle in a positive rumour! Keep away from the razor blades ya moaning git

darwenhibby
16-07-2017, 09:44 AM
when he has already said pennant wont be signing

Didn't see that
But in 2001 we were going for a striker
We all wanted Libbra ended up with 35 year old Brewster
Following year we get Mixu
Not saying go all out for Stokes but need a proven hungry goal scorer

Aldo
16-07-2017, 09:48 AM
About to say something similar Gives us hope of signing a named player to cushion the losing of stokes couple weeks later Hibs fail in pursuit of Commons But hears Pennant

What makes you think we won't sign Stokes. Your last few posts would suggest we don't have much of a chance of getting him.

With regards Commons he's a quality footballer who when fit would be a superb acquisition. It would however have to be on our terms (pay per play).

O and if you read or listen to NL Pennant won't be getting a deal.

Aldo
16-07-2017, 09:49 AM

How do you know this??

A player of his calibre would bring loads to the team. He would however need to be fit

Aldo
16-07-2017, 09:50 AM
Didn't see that But in 2001 we were going for a striker We all wanted Libbra ended up with 35 year old Brewster Following year we get Mixu Not saying go all out for Stokes but need a proven hungry goal scorer

And how did Brewster turn out??

Tyler Durden
16-07-2017, 09:51 AM

Wasn't very good for Hibs to be honest

darwenhibby
16-07-2017, 09:52 AM

6 months and a dislocated shoulder

Sioux
16-07-2017, 09:52 AM
Didn't see that

What has 2001 etc got to do with anything? If you want to have a go at the club/Lennon/whoever, is this the best you can do?

lyonhibs
16-07-2017, 09:54 AM
I'd be delighted if Commons is who we get as a "scrabbling around having missed out on our main targets" signing.

Makes a difference from Zarabi etc bring signed on to back of a YouTube compilation

Aldo
16-07-2017, 09:54 AM

I thought he was excellent and helped bring on GOC.

Opinions eh!

Aldo
16-07-2017, 09:56 AM
6 months and a dislocated shoulder

Was still superb in that time and then went to Dunfermline and came back to haunt us IIRC. Formed a very good partnership with Crawford!

seanshow
16-07-2017, 09:58 AM
Anybody know his current health/fitness situation?

Paid by appearance with a coaching role, something along those lines, we should be offering

""This season was tough. Injury-plagued, there was no opportunity to impress new manager Brendan Rodgers. His loan spell at Hibs yielded two goals in five games for his old boss Lennon before further frustration.
Unfinished business?
"I haven't been fit enough to play," he added. "I get to a half decent level of fitness then I have to take a step back.
"I had a good stint at training October, November, December, went on loan to Hibs, but as soon as I came back that's when I started feeling the back again. It's a very niggly injury that has caused me a lot of problems over the year.
"I still feel I've got a little bit in me if I can get to a good level of fitness, but I've not been able to get to that top level to get into this team."
So, does he try to regain the level of fitness required and continue playing or does he decide it's time to hang up his boots?
"I still feel I have got unfinished business playing but the doubt for me is can I get to the level where I'm going to be the Kris Commons everyone knows," he said.
"If I'm not, then there's no point dwindling away. I'd rather finish on a relative high."

Lago
16-07-2017, 09:59 AM
I take it thats purely your opinion & you don't have any info re losing out on 1st targets.

Col_0762
16-07-2017, 09:59 AM

Brewster was a great signing for Hibs and should never have been let go when he was. Brought on O'Connor as well.

Allant1981
16-07-2017, 10:02 AM

you obviously didnt watch hibs then if you believe that to be true

Edinburgh Green
16-07-2017, 10:06 AM
WTF??? How to find a negative angle in a positive rumour! Keep away from the razor blades ya moaning git

Wow, I'm a moaning git that needs to stay away from razor blades because I believe that a move for a player who was close to quitting the game due to injury and other business/charity ventures, wouldn't be a first choice target?

You need to chill out mate.

GreenNWhiteArmy
16-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Yes please

Still feel we need a winger but we simply cannot turn down proven quality if he can pass the relevant fitness tests and isn't eating in to our remaining budget too much

Edinburgh Green
I take it thats purely your opinion & you don't have any info re losing out on 1st targets.

Yes, and I'm guessing Berry was one of his main targets.

J-C
We have pace in the team with Murray and Boyle but the only forward thinking clever player is Swanson and we need another, Commons ticks all the boxes provided he's motivated enough to train hard and commit to the club, he can be the difference in securing 3rd/4th or 2nd.

darwenhibby
16-07-2017, 10:10 AM
What has 2001 etc got to do with anything? If you want to have a go at the club/Lennon/whoever, is this the best you can do?

Not having a go at the club just saying every season everyone on here get built up about signing X Y Z and it doesn't happen
We don't keep up with other clubs who we want to challenge for European places
This is probably the most exciting time at the club since the 2001 Scottish cup final season
When we finished 3rd beaten by a quality Celtic team and we hoped we we were goinyto sign quality
Brewster was ok but but who was the other striker we signed Hutardo!!
We lost Adam Rooney to Aberdeen in 2014for £500 pw
Anyone remember what happened then?
Going back to my point is Stokes the ultimate answer no but we need a proven goal scorer and we don't want to lose our for a few quid when the club is at its most optimistic for years
Get this signing right Hibs could get 2nd

Golden Bear
16-07-2017, 10:10 AM
No thanks. Fitness doubts and I'm not convinced he even wants to be a Hibs player.

I'd rather we continue to play with our younger players, in the long term that's got to be the way ahead.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Is Commons still tied to Celtc?

J-C
16-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Hardly scrambling with six weeks or more left on the window and midfield being an area where we seem well covered for players (Swanson, Martin, Bartley, Boyle, McGinn, McGeouch).

We failed to sign one target who was a goalscoring mdfielder. Who else were we after that we missed out on?

Why do you and many others list Boyle as a midfielder, he's a striker, plays there regularly on the right and is on the Hibs website as such.

J-C
16-07-2017, 10:13 AM
Is Commons still tied to Celtc?

Nope free agent.

MWHIBBIES
16-07-2017, 10:13 AM
A year playing with Kris Commons will do Fraser Murray the world of good.

Souter96Mac
16-07-2017, 10:14 AM
Would be a cracking influence for the younger members of the squad, especially for the likes of F Murray. Maybe unable to play every game for 90min but if he's affordable, I'd have him

thebausburst
16-07-2017, 10:15 AM
Kris Commons is a a superb football player. He made a massive difference in a short space of time when he was loaned to us last season. I will be over the moon if he signs for The Hibees again!

This 100% was at yesterday's game thinking about Commons every time we took a poor free kick!

J-C
16-07-2017, 10:15 AM
He may be brought in as a player/coach which would be ideal for both parties.

HibbySpurs
16-07-2017, 10:19 AM
Would be delighted with a fit Commons as player/coach at Hibs.

Would just be nice to get some more confirmed good news as well though.

Hopefully TheCat has this bang on.

IGRIGI
16-07-2017, 10:19 AM
If he could get up to a decent level of fitness before the league campaign got underway I'd be happy with this.

Golden Bear
16-07-2017, 10:21 AM
A year playing with Kris Commons will do Fraser Murray the world of good.

Providing Commons's arrival doesn't result in Fraser getting shipped out to East Fife or somebody like that of course.

thebausburst
16-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Certainly need someone for free kicks and set pieces now JC and Keats are gone, exposed this yesterday

Tyler Durden
16-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Brewster was a great signing for Hibs and should never have been let go when he was. Brought on O'Connor as well.

25 games and 3 goals. Scored a peach at Starks Park in the league cup and one good game against Hearts but was nowt special.

Personally find all this stuff about bringing on GOC a bit of a myth. When Kuqi was here the young forwards were also full of praise in the press about all they'd learned....it's mainly PR and cliches. I'm sure they would learn from experiences pros but O'Connor was always gonna be a top player.

How did Brewster work out for Hibs? Not great. Brilliant for the Pars but not sure how anyone thinks he was a big success at Hibs. He wasn't

superfurryhibby
16-07-2017, 10:35 AM
Why do you and many others list Boyle as a midfielder, he's a striker, plays there regularly on the right and is on the Hibs website as such.

In nearly all the games I've seen him play he has played on the right side of midfield. A striker plays through the middle. Our formation last season was usually 4-4-2, with Holt and Cummings up front.

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2017, 10:36 AM
Certainly need someone for free kicks and set pieces now JC and Keats are gone, exposed this yesterday

Swanson will take them.

Greenworld
16-07-2017, 10:44 AM
Been told that Lennon is going back for Commons. Already had discussions but nothing more yet.
Deal will be off now you have leaked the news 😂😂

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

18Hibee75
16-07-2017, 10:44 AM
If he did sign, it would give Lennon a massive headache for selection, albeit a good headache to have. With the choice of McGinn, Bartley, McGeough, Swanson and commons.

Think a fit commons would be the first name on the team sheet however, would love to see us pull this off with a decent deal for both parties. All ifs and buts mind.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Elephant Stone
16-07-2017, 10:47 AM
I don't doubt Lennon will be able to work out the situation better than me but Commons said he doesn't even know if he wants to/is able to play next season. That doesn't sound too good, IMO.

RyeSloan
16-07-2017, 10:50 AM
Wow, I'm a moaning git that needs to stay away from razor blades because I believe that a move for a player who was close to quitting the game due to injury and other business/charity ventures, wouldn't be a first choice target?

To be fair though that's not what you said.

You said we would be signing Commons because we are scrambling around as we had missed out on first choice targets...big difference between saying that and saying the above.

I don't think anyone reckons Commons is a priority or a must have in Lennon's mind but surely we are allowed to look at additional 'nice to have' options at the same time as pursuing the 'first choice' options?

Thecat23
16-07-2017, 10:55 AM
p.s. Thanks Cat for sharing your info.

:aok:

👍🏼

J-C
16-07-2017, 10:57 AM
In nearly all the games I've seen him play he has played on the right side of midfield. A striker plays through the middle. Our formation last season was usually 4-4-2, with Holt and Cummings up front.

You better get in touch with Lennon and the Hibs coaching staff as they have him with the rest of the strikers on their page, for me Boyle is a right sided striker on the right of the 3 but yes he can play wide right, unfortunately he lacks defensively, also Lennon played him as a striker beside Holt last season and he scored a few then too.

16-07-2017, 10:57 AM
Would be delighted with this signing. The problem last time was that celtic were paying him £15k per week and hibs could only stretch to £2k per week (wee bit of inside info on that one). Obviously the same still applies but he's said before he wants to stay in Scotland as his family are really settled here. The only team in Scotland that could get reasonably close to celtics wages is Rangers and he wont go there.

Big wage cut but £2k a week is still a very very good wage to be earning (I realise its all relative though and its quite a big change going from a £15k a week lifestyle to a £2k a week lifestyle) and he would be getting regular first team football plus he'd be near to his family.

Brightside
16-07-2017, 11:09 AM
You better get in touch with Lennon and the Hibs coaching staff as they have him with the rest of the strikers on their page, for me Boyle is a right sided striker on the right of the 3 but yes he can play wide right, unfortunately he lacks defensively, also Lennon played him as a striker beside Holt last season and he scored a few then too.

Boyle is at his best on the right of a 3. Totally agree with that. In a flat 4 you lose the benefit.

Jack
16-07-2017, 11:10 AM
Would be happy enough getting him back but only on the right deal for Hibs (i.e 1 year pay as you play or low basic salary with appearance and other bonuses to top it up).

Throw in some coaching and it could work well for both parties.

I'm hearing from the Bounce it's £2k a week, to include a coaching role, and £1k a week appearance money.

I'd go for that!

Big L
16-07-2017, 11:16 AM
I don't think their will be compeitition for Commons signature, you have to wonder why. When he was on loan to us he got us two goals which got us points, for that I'm eternally grateful, but overall I thought his performances weren't great.

mjhibby
16-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Despite the fact Lennon brought him in before in January, he excelled and Lennon was keen for him to stay on?

Exactly. I don't know what done hibs fans expect. The only reason commons is not in the celtic squad is he doesn't suit the pressing game Rodgers prefers. A fit commons would be the best signing we could make this window as he can do that wee of magic that turns one point into three. Hardly scrambling when there is over six weeks left of the widow. Just signed Whitty which by spl standards is a tremendous signing. Boy do some hibs fans like a whinge. Not sure how valid the story is though. He wants to stay in Scotland but won't get anywhere near what he was on at celtic.

High-On-Hibs
16-07-2017, 11:26 AM
Can't believe there are people whinging about this. He's a cracking player, even at 33. His back problems obviously aren't that serious if Lennon is considering a deal.

Billy Whizz
16-07-2017, 11:28 AM
So who's Commons coming in, instead of the players we are reportedly interested in?

Mikey
16-07-2017, 11:31 AM
Jings, here we go again. Life is going to be so much easier when we have fan ownership and we all get a vote on who we target. And then at the end of the window we can vote on whether to keep the manager based on who we've signed for him.

CRAZYHIBBY
16-07-2017, 11:33 AM
I wont believe any of this till i read it in the sun

basehibby
16-07-2017, 11:51 AM

Yes you are a moaning git. And I use the term advisedly after chilling out and deciding against using more cutting epithets. Anyone accusing our manager of "scrambling" for any old signing when approaching a player of proven quality like Commons, who he knows very well - and with 6 weeks left of the transfer window is fully deserving of the description "moaning git" and would be well advised to steer clear of tall buildings as well as razor blades and other sharp implements.

Brightside
16-07-2017, 11:53 AM
So who's Commons coming in, instead of the players we are reportedly interested in?

Instead of pennant?

Big L
16-07-2017, 11:54 AM
In his defence Commons hadn't played for over a yr before coming on loan to us, he has now played half a dozen games in 18/19 months. He apparently has a back injury and I just feel, all in all it's a risk we don't have to take. Their has to be another Berry/playmaker out there that we can bring to the club.

snooky
16-07-2017, 11:56 AM
No thanks. Fitness doubts and I'm not convinced he even wants to be a Hibs player.

I'd rather we continue to play with our younger players, in the long term that's got to be the way ahead.

My thoughts as well

carnoustiehibee
16-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Do Hibs have scouts anymore

J-C
16-07-2017, 12:11 PM

Berry?

Scouts don't just look for new talent, they look at known players, how they're playing, any recurring injuries, their personality etc.

neil7908
16-07-2017, 12:12 PM
I'm hearing from the Bounce it's £2k a week, to include a coaching role, and £1k a week appearance money.

I'd go for that!

Sounds decent to me.

Heisenberg
16-07-2017, 12:13 PM

Bids being made to sign Sercombe and Berry would suggest we do.

Big L
16-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Berry?

They must have eyes on more than one target for that position!

Andy74
16-07-2017, 12:17 PM
In his defence Commons hadn't played for over a yr before coming on loan to us, he has now played half a dozen games in 18/19 months. He apparently has a back injury and I just feel, all in all it's a risk we don't have to take. Their has to be another Berry/playmaker out there that we can bring to the club.

So we've gone from never having heard of Berry to him being better than Commins. Amazing.

AlbertK86
16-07-2017, 12:40 PM
25 games and 3 goals. Scored a peach at Starks Park in the league cup and one good game against Hearts but was nowt special. Personally find all this stuff about bringing on GOC a bit of a myth. When Kuqi was here the young forwards were also full of praise in the press about all they'd learned....it's mainly PR and cliches. I'm sure they would learn from experiences pros but O'Connor was always gonna be a top player. How did Brewster work out for Hibs? Not great. Brilliant for the Pars but not sure how anyone thinks he was a big success at Hibs. He wasn't

O'Connor himself that Brewster was an integral part of his success and development at Hibs

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

scooby
16-07-2017, 12:42 PM

Exactly!

Mikey09
16-07-2017, 01:01 PM
Didn't see that

More negative posts. Here's one for you. Why are you advertising some tile centre as your avatar?

Keith_M
16-07-2017, 01:07 PM
Instead of pennant?

Looks like it, as Lennon has said they no longer have plans to sign Pennant.

Edinburgh Green
16-07-2017, 01:16 PM
Yes you are a moaning git. And I use the term advisedly after chilling out and deciding against using more cutting epithets. Anyone accusing our manager of "scrambling" for any old signing when approaching a player of proven quality like Commons, who he knows very well - and with 6 weeks left of the transfer window is fully deserving of the description "moaning git" and would be well advised to steer clear of tall buildings as well as razor blades and other sharp implements.

You really shouldn't get that worked up about someone else's opinion. I suggest you have some further chill out time. :aok:

Big L
16-07-2017, 01:42 PM
So we've gone from never having heard of Berry to him being better than Commins. Amazing.

Not that it matters, because we are not getting Berry, but to answer your question, at this moment in time, yes! If you were given the choice, right now, who would you take?

Lago
16-07-2017, 02:18 PM
Which players are those?

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2017, 02:19 PM
More negative posts. Here's one for you. Why are you advertising some tile centre as your avatar?

Why are you advertising trainspotting on yours?

Andy74
16-07-2017, 02:23 PM
Not that it matters, because we are not getting Berry, but to answer your question, at this moment in time, yes! If you were given the choice, right now, who would you take?

Commons.

Since90+2
16-07-2017, 02:26 PM
In the few games he played for us Commons looked absolutely knackered after about half an hour. If he had the motivation to get himself back in shape and returned to full match fitness he would be a good addition but it's also a risk.

Wilson
16-07-2017, 02:26 PM

I'm sorry but the answer to that has to be Commons.

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2017, 02:28 PM

I think that's a very difficult question to answer without all the facts. He's been quoted as saying his back is a problem, and he'd probably be on a high wage for us.

We also live on the edge with McGeouch every week, waiting on him breaking down again, can we afford two players who could break down any minute?

It's a difficult one as I say, but a fit Commons would certainly enhance our team.

bingo70
16-07-2017, 02:36 PM
Sorry if this has been pointed out already but I wonder if he sees signing Commons as a good way of bringing on Fraser Murray. Neither are likely to be able to play 40 games this season so Murray covering when Commons isn't fit could be a good way of introducing him to the first team without having to rely on a 17 year old.

Billy Whizz
16-07-2017, 02:40 PM
Which players are those?

The ones that are all over these pages

Scouse Hibee
16-07-2017, 02:42 PM
It seems funny that he's a quality footballer, if fit would be a great asset never mind his age comments are being bandied about about Commons yet exactly the same fits Pennant but hardly anyone wants him???

147lothian
16-07-2017, 02:42 PM

http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/top%20marks.gif

bingo70
16-07-2017, 02:50 PM
It seems funny that he's a quality footballer, if fit would be a great asset never mind his age comments are being bandied about about Commons yet exactly the same fits Pennant but hardly anyone wants him???

Not really, Commons had a successful short spell with us last season while Pennant was poor on loan at Bury last season.

I'd have liked us to sign Pennant and could see the positives but I don't see the comparison with him and Commons really.

Just Alf
16-07-2017, 03:02 PM
Jings, here we go again. Life is going to be so much easier when we have fan ownership and we all get a vote on who we target. And then at the end of the window we can vote on whether to keep the manager based on who we've signed for him.
Oh God!!!!!

Down with fan ownership I say!!!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
16-07-2017, 03:05 PM
Not really, Commons had a successful short spell with us last season while Pennant was poor on loan at Bury last season.

I'd have liked us to sign Pennant and could see the positives but I don't see the comparison with him and Commons really.

Of course you don't but there is one.

Big L
16-07-2017, 03:38 PM
I'm sorry but the answer to that has to be Commons.

If he signed as part of the coaching team and was paid if he played then fine, I happen to think he has a bit about him and could do well in management. As it stands, I wouldn't sign him for the reasons I gave, to much of a risk. We need players on the way up not on the way out.

Brooster
16-07-2017, 03:45 PM
This guy wins games. I would love to see him back.

Libby Hibby
16-07-2017, 03:51 PM
Thanks Cat for that.

Kris Commons would be our best player if he signed. If we could negotiate something, it would be a right coup for the club.

CapitalGreen
16-07-2017, 03:55 PM

Commons would be coming from the Scottish Champions. Having played 83 games in the last 3 seasons scoring 27 goals. He was also with us in January where he excelled.

Pennant would be coming from a brief unsuccessful loan spell with League 1 Bury. He has played 54 games in the last 3 seasons the majority of which were in the Singaporean league. He was also on trial with us in January and recently and did not impress enough to receive a contract offer.

Since90+2
16-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Thanks Cat for that.

Kris Commons would be our best player if he signed. If we could negotiate something, it would be a right coup for the club.

The current version of Commons is not a better player than McGinn or a fully fit McGeouch.

Dalianwanda
16-07-2017, 03:56 PM
If he signed as part of the coaching team and was paid if he played then fine, I happen to think he has a bit about him and could do well in management. As it stands, I wouldn't sign him for the reasons I gave, to much of a risk. We need players on the way up not on the way out.

We need a mix of youth and experience. Those on their way out of playing have the knowledge to pass to those on their way up. Commons showed last season, to show he still has plenty to offer if fit.

NAE NOOKIE
16-07-2017, 04:00 PM
If I'm honest I would much rather see us bring in a younger player ....... I'm aware that these days players are much fitter etc and that 35 is the new 30 when it comes to players thinking of chucking it. But in the case of Commons decent contribution or not last season he didn't look fit, not because he is lazy, but because as he has admitted himself he has long standing injury problems.

We will already have a 30 year old ( Swanson ) a 33 year old ( Whittaker ) and a player highly unlikely to play a full season ( McGeouch ) fighting it out for midfield spots. Then there's Bartley who lets face it is practically a defender .... Boyle is a forward rather than a midfielder and the rest are kids like Martin and Murray ...... the only one out of them who ticks all the boxes of practically being guaranteed to be fit all the time, get picked all the time and is a recognised midfielder is McGinn.

That's why IMO though Commons is indeed a recognised midfielder and a very good one I would rather see a younger more dynamic player come in who is more or less guaranteed to be a regular starter and last the season, bad luck notwithstanding ..... who that might be I have no idea :greengrin

cleanyman
16-07-2017, 04:02 PM
No thanks

Speedway
16-07-2017, 04:07 PM
As I said on the PM thread, of all the players we've been linked to, this is the deal I want to see done.

CapitalGreen
16-07-2017, 04:12 PM
The current version of Commons is not a better player than McGinn or a fully fit McGeouch.

Is strength in depth not a good thing?

Actually, from the fact you mention "fully fit" in relation to McGeouch I think you know it is.

Since90+2
16-07-2017, 04:33 PM
Is strength in depth not a good thing?

Actually, from the fact you mention "fully fit" in relation to McGeouch I think you know it is.

Of course it is :confused:

My point was IMO Commons at this stage of his career is not as good a player as McGinn or McGeough.

Mikey09
16-07-2017, 04:41 PM
Why are you advertising trainspotting on yours?

Its a picture from the film. I've not got a company logo spread across it. But I think you know the difference but as per usual you're being a smart arse.

Ryan69
16-07-2017, 05:46 PM
I really dont think there is a debate needed within this.

If he accepts the terms Hibs offer him....He will be invaluable for us!

Springbank
16-07-2017, 06:05 PM
A dead ball expert will win us points this season, as we've a pretty solid back 5, and in Boyle & Simon Murray we have pacy perpetual motion runners who are always going to be fouled in range of goal.
Commons would be (along with Swanson) capable of filling his boots in this team

dmc1875
16-07-2017, 06:24 PM
I think he had a clean up op on whatever was wrong with his back and has been training. It's an absolute no brainer if he is feeling better and can get back on a pitch anyone who thinks commons wouldn't add something to us needs their head examined

Sioux
16-07-2017, 06:33 PM
Can some people please realise that the days of creating a first 11 are gone, and have been for some time. It's all about building a squad of 20 players, or more, that are capable of doing a job when required. Some will be required more than others.

The Captain....
16-07-2017, 06:36 PM
All comes down to money with this...if we're looking at Commons in any sort of playing capacity its a massive risk given his known back problem, theres no use pretending otherwise.

If he is willing to recognise that and is looking for a coaching role also and is willing to fit into our budget then fair enough. Personally I'd be a bit concerned that at the money we'd have to pay its a risk that isn't worth taking. He was a superb player...but we cant afford to carry any passengers within our budget for next season imo.

Ozyhibby
16-07-2017, 06:56 PM

That's not what fan ownership is.

MyJo
16-07-2017, 07:12 PM
Commons is a quality player who would absolutely be an asset to our squad.

We are light in midfield as it stands, McGeoch is always a strong gust of wind away from an injury and a player of Commons quality and experience will help our young guys massively.

Commons is a match-winner. He could stand in the centre circle for 60 minutes and only move to take our corners and free-kicks before being substituted and i'd still be happy to have him in the team.

Scouse Hibee
16-07-2017, 07:59 PM
Commons is a quality player who would absolutely be an asset to our squad.

We are light in midfield as it stands, McGeoch is always a strong gust of wind away from an injury and a player of Commons quality and experience will help our young guys massively.

Commons is a match-winner. He could stand in the centre circle for 60 minutes and only move to take our corners and free-kicks before being substituted and i'd still be happy to have him in the team.

Aye if your face fits, fans will embrace you.

CMurdoch
16-07-2017, 09:05 PM
Not for me.

KC was a superb player and set piece specialist, however, this is now and he
Has a chronic back injury
Is 34 next month
Has barely played in the last 18 months
He is a luxury gamble that we shouldn't risk £3k per week on especially given we will already be sweating on the fitness of McGeogh and possibly Hanlon.

As i see it all players at Hibs will have to graft hard this season for us to be successful and that was never Commons game.
He did important things for us in a cameo role last season in games where our resources dwarfed our opponents and his colleagues did the running for him. That luxury won't be possible this season were it will be all hands to the pump.

ian cruise
16-07-2017, 09:12 PM
Yes, and I'm guessing Berry was one of his main targets.

As you've admitted though you're just guessing.

If Commons is fit then he's a great signing. He was important for us in the short time he was with us, he is a player who can change a game and he'll help improve young Murray, all positives. If he's not fit he won't sign, the Pennant situation shows we're not taking on folk just because they're a name.

As for us signing Brewster and Mixu as last minute panic signings? I'll have more of those thank you.

O'Rourke3
16-07-2017, 09:35 PM
Does it read differently if Hibs just recruit an ex International Midfilder as coach who they also choose to register as a player because he can still contribute when needed? This seems more like the reality. Who knows. CK might have been first pick for coaching vacancy.

eastmainsmsh
16-07-2017, 11:15 PM
Only if pat Bonnar comes as well

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2017, 06:32 AM
Do we have a coaching position available?

Ken
17-07-2017, 07:07 AM

Yeah, the position Gary Locke turned down [emoji85][emoji23]

Viva_Palmeiras
17-07-2017, 08:27 AM
W

Coaching positions always available for the right player as part of any signing negotiations - #Hibs.net facts :)

eastmainsmsh
17-07-2017, 08:35 AM
He was great last time

Wilson
17-07-2017, 09:12 AM
He was great last time

He wasn't with us very long. I felt he started slowly and just when he was really starting to influence things his loan was up. All too brief.

Smartie
17-07-2017, 09:39 AM
I remember thinking that he didn't really do that much, but the little that he did was hugely significant.

He didn't exactly grab games by the scruff of the neck and dominate them.

But the wee pass through the defence against Falkirk, the free-kick at the end and I'm sure there were other contributions - these won points, allowed us to pull away from United at a crucial stage in our league season and in the end imo played a huge part in winning us the league.

Watching him over 90 minutes though, he didn't actually do that much.

BegbieHSC
17-07-2017, 09:39 AM
Tbh, as great as Commons is and while I would be happy if he signed, at the same time i'd have my reservations.

1. If he wanted to sign for us, why didn't he sign in January, instead of sitting on his arse the past 7 months at Sellic?
2. What's the story with his back?

CapitalGreen
17-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Tbh, as great as Commons is and while I would be happy if he signed, at the same time i'd have my reservations.

1. If he wanted to sign for us, why didn't he sign in January, instead of sitting on his arse the past 7 months at Sellic?
2. What's the story with his back?

He was under contract at Celtic in January, he did not have full say over whether he resigned for us until the rest of the season.

Keith_M
17-07-2017, 10:05 AM
It's funny how people remember things so differently as I remember his brief spell at Hibs as being one of the highlights of last season, where we seemed to have a dominance over the other clubs that we didn't really regain.

jeffers
17-07-2017, 10:14 AM
It's funny how people remember things so differently as I remember his brief spell at Hibs as being one of the highlights of last season, where we seemed to have a dominance over the other clubs that we didn't really regain.

I thought he looked unfit and off the pace, but still managed with the odd bit of magic to show what a class player he was and make a huge contribution. If he could get himself fit he'd be a great signing IMO.

neil7908
17-07-2017, 10:15 AM
There is a question of the whether at 34 and with a back problem of unknown severity, he will play enough games for us to be worth a big wage.

We were in a weaker league last year and I think there are legitimate question marks about whether given his age and fitness he would give us enough against the likes of the Ugly Sisters, Hearts, Aberdeen and St Johnstone.

These are the kind of games where we will have to battle hard for the ball, chase the opposition and work rate and general fitness levels will be critical.

With question marks around McGeough's fitness I'm not sure we can afford to have two (presumably) high earners that may not play many games for us.

The other question is where does he play and who then misses out?

We have a decent range of midfielders with Swanson and young Murray now part of the squad and offering us more going forward than last year.

I don't doubt Commons quality but the deal must be right for us.

Golden Bear
17-07-2017, 10:16 AM
I thought he looked unfit and off the pace, but still managed with the odd bit of magic to show what a class player he was and make a huge contribution. If he could get himself fit he'd be a great signing IMO.

:agree:

His thunderbolt free kick against Falkirk was a defining moment in the season.

Captain Trips
17-07-2017, 10:20 AM
If we want to finish as high as we can we need to also take risks. Financial wise yeah Commons could be a risk if not involved depending on how a deal is structured however if he is able to play then we have a great player.

100% worth the risk. This type of player tells me top 6 isnt target (never should be) but right up there.

seanoheimhin
17-07-2017, 10:41 AM
A couple of initial points -

I'm a big fan of Neil Lennon as a person and a football manager. I love his commitment and his character. Similarly, Commons seems like a good guy with his head screwed firmly on. He's really talented and he would be right up there with the best in our squad, better on his day.

...that being said, I'm starting to long for the days of Stubbsy pulling a Malonga, a Scott Allan, a SDG, a Fraser Fyvie out of the bag.

We've made some good signings under Lennon and I hope Swanson, Efe and Rocky will continue that trend now they're permanently signed up. I just feel like there is ZERO imagination from Lennon when it comes to signings.

Look what Celtic are doing currently, taking calculated punts on young players like Paddy Roberts, Ntcham, Benyu etc etc. Obviously they're shopping in a different market to us, but where are our calculated gambles on exciting young players?

Jermaine Pennant, Tony Stokes, Scott McDonald, Grant Holt, Kris Commons, Kelvin Wilson. Don't get me wrong, some of these guys could do a great job for Hibs - but am I the only one who feels a bit underwhelmed by the players we've been linked to?

I'm not trying to make a negative here out of Commons potentially signing, I'd be pretty happy about that (fitness dependent) and I'm buzzing for the new season, just making what I think is a fair observation

KWJ
17-07-2017, 10:49 AM

I'm a big fan of Neil Lennon as a person and a football manager. I love his commitment and his character. Similarly, Commons seems like a good guy with his head screwed firmly on. He's really talented and he would be right up there with the best in our squad, better on his day.

...that being said, I'm starting to long for the days of Stubbsy pulling a Malonga, a Scott Allan, a SDG, a Fraser Fyvie out of the bag.

We've made some good signings under Lennon and I hope Swanson, Efe and Rocky will continue that trend now they're permanently signed up. I just feel like there is ZERO imagination from Lennon when it comes to signings.

Look what Celtic are doing currently, taking calculated punts on young players like Paddy Roberts, Ntcham, Benyu etc etc. Obviously they're shopping in a different market to us, but where are our calculated gambles on exciting young players?

Jermaine Pennant, Tony Stokes, Scott McDonald, Grant Holt, Kris Commons, Kelvin Wilson. Don't get me wrong, some of these guys could do a great job for Hibs - but am I the only one who feels a bit underwhelmed by the players we've been linked to?

I'm not trying to make a negative here out of Commons potentially signing, I'd be pretty happy about that (fitness dependent) and I'm buzzing for the new season, just making what I think is a fair observation

Mystery signings are exciting but as you say they are a gamble. Last season we needed to win the league and that required known quantities. This season we want to kick on from last season and push. The gamble is already available in terms of the promising young players so why throw in a potential spanner like a Pa Kujabi?

Also these players tend to become available towards the end of the window perhaps as they set their sights lower or their agent widens the net. SDG was Stubbs' first signing and that wasn't until 8th July.

thebausburst
17-07-2017, 11:16 AM

I'm 100% for proven quality you know what you're getting and the lucky dip approach fails more often than not with an endless list of poor buys over the years and a tiny list of surprise hits. We have more cash to go for proven quality let's embrace that and understand these deals are more challenging to get over the line, bit of patience will be rewarded.

thebausburst
17-07-2017, 11:18 AM
:agree:

His thunderbolt free kick against Falkirk was a defining moment in the season.

Agree 100% this was a massive turning point to the season, with thus type if quality you get that big players rise to the big moments.

Big L
17-07-2017, 11:24 AM
He was under contract at Celtic in January, he did not have full say over whether he resigned for us until the rest of the season.

When Rodgers took over he told Commons he wasn't in his plans. He was free to leave whenever he wanted, he chose to stay because he was on a great wage.

Mikey09
17-07-2017, 11:25 AM

Thet were playing on Saturday.

Speedway
17-07-2017, 11:32 AM

For me, Lennon may not be making surprise signings, but he is making better signings.

17-07-2017, 11:38 AM

Sir David wasn't that exciting a signing at the time. Burton Albion hardly gets heart racing.

If only I knew at the time what a hero we had just signed :greengrin

J-C
17-07-2017, 02:41 PM
Firstly Commons contribution at that time was important, he had little say in coming for the rest of the season due to wages but is now a free agent. He's had a wee op on his back which hopefully fixes his problem, so if fit he's a no brainer. Wages shouldn't be a problem as he isn't going South due to his wife's charity commitments and his kids being st school, Lennons connection will be important in his decision to join. He wants to get into coaching, so a player/coach role could be an interest.

Aldo
17-07-2017, 02:55 PM
A couple of initial points - I'm a big fan of Neil Lennon as a person and a football manager. I love his commitment and his character. Similarly, Commons seems like a good guy with his head screwed firmly on. He's really talented and he would be right up there with the best in our squad, better on his day. ...that being said, I'm starting to long for the days of Stubbsy pulling a Malonga, a Scott Allan, a SDG, a Fraser Fyvie out of the bag. We've made some good signings under Lennon and I hope Swanson, Efe and Rocky will continue that trend now they're permanently signed up. I just feel like there is ZERO imagination from Lennon when it comes to signings. Look what Celtic are doing currently, taking calculated punts on young players like Paddy Roberts, Ntcham, Benyu etc etc. Obviously they're shopping in a different market to us, but where are our calculated gambles on exciting young players? Jermaine Pennant, Tony Stokes, Scott McDonald, Grant Holt, Kris Commons, Kelvin Wilson. Don't get me wrong, some of these guys could do a great job for Hibs - but am I the only one who feels a bit underwhelmed by the players we've been linked to? I'm not trying to make a negative here out of Commons potentially signing, I'd be pretty happy about that (fitness dependent) and I'm buzzing for the new season, just making what I think is a fair observation

Exciting youngsters like Shaw, Murray, Porteous and Martin??

Would you not prefer us to sign players of proven quality rather than an exciting gamble??

You have also answered part of your question yourself.... Smellic are in a totally different transfer league to the rest and can afford the likes of Roberts and co!!

I rather we didn't waste a wage on a gamble (mind you every transfer is a gamble).

Jamesie
17-07-2017, 03:16 PM
Kris Commons scored two goals of immeasurable importance to us in terms of pulling away from the chasing pack at the pivotal point in last season. I for one would be delighted to see him back if fit or on some form of pay-as-you-play deal if there is any doubt over that.

brog
17-07-2017, 03:20 PM

He played 5 games & IMO the only one we dominated was the 3-0 victory over Dun Utd. We won 2 of the others by the odd goal, both scored by Commons, & we drew the other 2. He delivered a helpful cameo but he wasn't fully fit & it would be difficult to gauge his worth now based on those 5 games. Personally I'd rather spend the money on a younger player, preferably a proven(ish) striker like Moult or one with potential like Erwin.

#persevered
17-07-2017, 05:12 PM
Commons range of passing, finishing, vision and set pieces are all top class. I'd love someone to find a young player we could afford who has even close to Commons ability. We already have a midfield made of talented young players, experience and a final ball is what Commons provides. I reckon we should jump at the chance to sign him if it's on.

hibs supporter
19-07-2017, 01:48 PM
This won't be happening he just had back surgery

Andy74
19-07-2017, 01:59 PM
He played 5 games & IMO the only one we dominated was the 3-0 victory over Dun Utd. We won 2 of the others by the odd goal, both scored by Commons, & we drew the other 2. He delivered a helpful cameo but he wasn't fully fit & it would be difficult to gauge his worth now based on those 5 games. Personally I'd rather spend the money on a younger player, preferably a proven(ish) striker like Moult or one with potential like Erwin.

He turned those draws into wins at vital times. If he is fit he'd be an exceptional signing.

J-C
19-07-2017, 02:07 PM

Just seen the pic, it looks like keyhole surgery and you'd be surprised how quickly you can recover om this, don't think it's major surgery just a wee clean up job.

Thecat23
19-07-2017, 02:08 PM

The recovery time for that isn't long. You'll be surprised how fast he's up and moving around.

JeMeSouviens
19-07-2017, 02:09 PM
https://twitter.com/kcommons15/status/887635031962902528

"recovering from back surgery at the min. Nothing serious so should be styling the left peg out soon"

Hibby70
20-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Signing as soon as he's fit according to news on STV

Just Alf
20-07-2017, 05:08 PM
Signing as soon as he's fit according to news on STV

I have preferred him to sign on the dotted line right away... even if it was on a reduced contract or similar but maybe with some coaching etc thrown in for now?

anyways.... good news!

CRAZYHIBBY
20-07-2017, 05:10 PM
Frillies will be p1shed up and down leith if he does

Thecat23
20-07-2017, 05:19 PM
Confirmed on the news 😉

bingo70
20-07-2017, 05:22 PM
Confirmed on the news 😉

Not quite.

He seemed unsure if he'd be able to get fit again, if he could then he'd join us but that never came across as a certainty to me.

Thecat23
20-07-2017, 05:24 PM
Not quite.

He seemed unsure if he'd be able to get fit again, if he could then he'd join us but that never came across as a certainty to me.

Well from what I'm told he was told he will play again and Lennon and Commons have spoke for a while about a deal for when he is fit.

bingo70
20-07-2017, 05:27 PM
Well from what I'm told he was told he will play again and Lennon and Commons have spoke for a while about a deal for when he is fit.

Commons was just interviewed and he backs up what you say, however he seemed to stress the 'IF' he could get fit. I don't think he came across as very confident about that.

Onceinawhile
20-07-2017, 06:01 PM
Good scoop tc23.

Billy Whizz
20-07-2017, 06:05 PM
Good scoop tc23.

His 1st for a while, you get the odd one right if you mention so many🤣

Souter96Mac
20-07-2017, 06:15 PM
Will be a good signing if he can get back up to fitness. His experience will be vital for the likes of Murray

Franck Stanton
20-07-2017, 06:17 PM

Bit harsh BW. After all, TC is only passing on what he can & I for one appreciate it.

Thecat23
20-07-2017, 06:17 PM

😁😁

Billy Whizz
20-07-2017, 06:20 PM
Bit harsh BW. After all, TC is only passing on what he can & I for one appreciate it.

A wee joke😄

Franck Stanton
20-07-2017, 07:01 PM
A wee joke😄

Whoops my bad. Just call it a whoosh moment but in my defence I see so many folk posting negative comments on here it is getting hard to tell what is said in jest at times

Billy Whizz
20-07-2017, 07:10 PM
Whoops my bad. Just call it a whoosh moment but in my defence I see so many folk posting negative comments on here it is getting hard to tell what is said in jest at times

No worries😄

Iggy Pope
20-07-2017, 07:29 PM
No worries😄

To be fair you're not a million miles away yet are you? The Commons / Hendo / Stokes thing is largely like a summer spent shooting fishy rumours in a barrel of rumour-mongering fish. Barrel with hoops round it, obviously.

20-07-2017, 07:31 PM
Really happy with this. If he can get back to full fitness he will be a cracking signing :thumbsup:

Hopefully he makes a speedy recovery

Brightside
20-07-2017, 07:39 PM

The offer has been with Kris for at least 3 months. I really thought he might chuck it though.

Thecat23
20-07-2017, 08:04 PM
The offer has been with Kris for at least 3 months. I really thought he might chuck it though.

So has been a while then. If we can get him fit be a great player to have.