PDA

View Full Version : Crossing

eastcoasthibby
15-07-2017, 06:22 PM
Same old complaint as last few seasons, but our full backs in particular but also others, just don't get enough decent quality crosses into the box. Both Stevenson and Gray delay putting the ball in early and too often dont get it past the first defender. Boyle also has a habit.of this as well ...anyone any ideas of why this is still a weakness if ours ?

Billychaotic182
15-07-2017, 06:22 PM
Pretty sure Stevenson crossed the ball for Murray's first......

The_Horde
15-07-2017, 06:26 PM
Pretty sure Stevenson crossed the ball for Murray's first......

Can't have. Never beats the first man..

Stevie Reid
15-07-2017, 06:26 PM
Great (right footed) assist from Stevenson for the first, him and Gray put several good balls in as well as the poorer deliveries.

Even the best wingers in the world don't cross a great ball all the time.

greenlex
15-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Nothing wrong with the crossing today. Every cross in a game isn't always hit pin point or indeed past the defender.

greenlex
15-07-2017, 06:30 PM
Great (right footed) assist from Stevenson for the first, him and Gray put several good balls in as well as the poorer deliveries.

Even the best wingers in the world don't cross a great ball all the time.
Lewis also had a lovely wee right footed through pass in the second half.

Smartie
15-07-2017, 06:31 PM
I thought our crossing was generally good.

We should have scored from Boyle's one to Shaw at the end.

We scored from a couple of headers after crosses into the box, and won a penalty after another of Lewis' crosses.

I don't know if I've ever seen a game where we've had a better end product from our crosses.

There were a few poor and average crosses but that's always going to be the case. They can't always be good.

eastcoasthibby
15-07-2017, 06:48 PM
Against that opposition we got some.results today ..and.I have absolute no expectation of.every crossbeing.on the money, but at this level when we get into these positions the crosses need to count, about a 40.50% have to get into the danger area .. I think today was perhaps seemed a bit better the reality will be more visible as we go on ...hope for the best as its vital as we have seen !!

West lower
15-07-2017, 07:24 PM
Same old complaint as last few seasons, but our full backs in particular but also others, just don't get enough decent quality crosses into the box. Both Stevenson and Gray delay putting the ball in early and too often dont get it past the first defender. Boyle also has a habit.of this as well ...anyone any ideas of why this is still a weakness if ours ?

We counted 8 first class crosses from Stevenson alone today. For a non winger his crossing was superb. Probably 3 or 4 hit first man. Watch Hibs TVs and count for yourself.

bigwheel
15-07-2017, 07:29 PM
We counted 8 first class crosses from Stevenson alone today. For a non winger his crossing was superb. Probably 3 or 4 hit first man. Watch Hibs TVs and count for yourself.

Using Facts.....it'll never catch on. [emoji6][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shrekko
15-07-2017, 07:30 PM

Modern football generally has about 5/6 defenders in the box and 2/3 attackers for the crosser to aim at- it's difficult. If you get can get 2/3 chances from crosses in a game you're doing ok.

Out of interest, can you name any teams or even players who excel at crossing? I genuinely can't.

West lower
15-07-2017, 07:32 PM
Using Facts.....it'll never catch on. [emoji6][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah. Don't let the facts get in the way of a story 😎

eastcoasthibby
15-07-2017, 09:17 PM

Don't have the time to go back and run through the match but if thats your count will go with it ...have to say the 3-4 not getting in surprises me and not sure what first class equates to .it certainly didn't feel like it watching the game...any stats for Gray ? Or Boyle ?
If thats Lewis's return today, he might mean he has been working on it, which is all good for the season if he continues with that form into the league . will watch with interest hoping he can !

Pete70
15-07-2017, 09:36 PM
A 4 nil victory and still someone needs to find fault in the performance. I despair sometimes.

West lower
15-07-2017, 09:44 PM
Don't have the time to go back and run through the match but if thats your count will go with it ...have to say the 3-4 not getting in surprises me and not sure what first class equates to .it certainly didn't feel like it watching the game...any stats for Gray ? Or Boyle ?
If thats Lewis's return today, he might mean he has been working on it, which is all good for the season if he continues with that form into the league . will watch with interest hoping he can !

I reckon 8 crosses from a non winger is a first class effort. 1 resulted in a goal. One Gray should have scored from. Also, one of the ones that never beat the first man resulted in a penalty. I will take that every week.
No stats on Gray or Boyle.We were counting as there was a guy along from us moaning about Lewis and his crossing. He never once praised his good crosses.

Wee Effen Bee
15-07-2017, 09:53 PM
Against that opposition we got some.results today ..and.I have absolute no expectation of.every crossbeing.on the money, but at this level when we get into these positions the crosses need to count, about a 40.50% have to get into the danger area .. I think today was perhaps seemed a bit better the reality will be more visible as we go on ...hope for the best as its vital as we have seen !!
So you changed your argument then? We did get a lot of good crosses into the box and we scored from a couple. Wtf else are you wanting? I watched Sporting Lisbon V Valencia the other day and, despite the ability level of players being higher in that game, the amount of crosses which didn't amount to anything was quite telling. Have you ever thought that maybe it's not the crossers at fault but the 'crossees' who need to work more at their end? As others have said, if you really have to find fault with a 4-0 win with goals coming from our new striker and young midfielders then jog on. 😊

MWHIBBIES
15-07-2017, 10:03 PM
Lewis' crossing lead to a goal and penalty. Hope this thread is a windup.

horseflesh
15-07-2017, 10:23 PM
It would be interesting to know if the player crossing the ball is told to hit a certain area (front post/back post) because management have seen a weakness or if they are just playing freely like we all did in the playground?
Personally I think a lot of crosses end up looking crap because the crosser is told to hit an area but the forward is not switched on all the time

GreenCastle
15-07-2017, 10:27 PM
The current stats / trends in football are showing more goals from wide cut backs than previously - think about Champions League final...Ronaldo etc.

Wee Effen Bee
15-07-2017, 11:01 PM
The current stats / trends in football are showing more goals from wide cut backs than previously - think about Champions League final...Ronaldo etc.

Im not one for keeping tabs on trends/stats as they can be manipulated, however, I do think the old winger hitting the byeline then crossing for a big striker to hammer a header home plan is one of a number of traits that appear to have 'evolved' across the years. Many players such as da Silva , Robben and even Celtic's Roberts last year, cut inside an awful lot which tends to suggest a following of coaches' tactics/plans. James Forrest scored the other night after cutting in and he regularly comes in off the wing. Perhaps they still like getting to the byeline but have developed and added more options to their wing play.

Mibbes Aye
15-07-2017, 11:26 PM
It would be interesting to know if the player crossing the ball is told to hit a certain area (front post/back post) because management have seen a weakness or if they are just playing freely like we all did in the playground?
Personally I think a lot of crosses end up looking crap because the crosser is told to hit an area but the forward is not switched on all the time

I posted a thread on here recently about corners. Because football at the top level is a percentage game, there is a tendency to encourage corners to aim for a golden spot at pace, near the front post.

As often as not, a defender will get to it but if the attacker does then the chances of scoring are far higher than a lofted ball to a player deeper in the box. So the percentage chance of contact is lower but the conversion rate is higher, should the attacker make contact. One can only guess that's based on in-depth analysis. It also explains why so many club fans complain about crosses not beating the first man!

As with any football tactics there will no doubt be an evolution in time.

pacorosssco
15-07-2017, 11:33 PM
Same old complaint as last few seasons, but our full backs in particular but also others, just don't get enough decent quality crosses into the box. Both Stevenson and Gray delay putting the ball in early and too often dont get it past the first defender. Boyle also has a habit.of this as well ...anyone any ideas of why this is still a weakness if ours ? Could be managers instructions

Centre Hawf
16-07-2017, 02:06 AM
This debate keeps coming up on this forum particularly about Stevenson and Gray holding us back cause of their crossing when in actual fact only 1 in 92 crosses in the top four divisions in England end up as a goal. Just shows that scoring from a cross is becoming a lot more difficult in modern football than before, not sure why but I think it shows that we're not the only ones struggling at times. Today though our crossing was brilliant and a weak footed cross from Stevenson got us going today, but I'm sure some people who slate him next week will forget that.

Hibi
16-07-2017, 09:07 AM
This debate keeps coming up on this forum particularly about Stevenson and Gray holding us back cause of their crossing when in actual fact only 1 in 92 crosses in the top four divisions in England end up as a goal. Just shows that scoring from a cross is becoming a lot more difficult in modern football than before, not sure why but I think it shows that we're not the only ones struggling at times. Today though our crossing was brilliant and a weak footed cross from Stevenson got us going today, but I'm sure some people who slate him next week will forget that.

Or David grays first touch and then cross for Simon murrays goal last week. Seems to be another "fact" building within our support.

greenlex
16-07-2017, 09:14 AM

Stantons Angel
16-07-2017, 09:40 AM

Welcome to the new season and already your getting on his back!

Its not IF that is his return for the game yesterday it IS his return and maybe if you would give the guy some credit for that then you may have had to watch and criticise another player.

Watch the game and you would have seen his contribution to it along with the other 10 Hibs players on the park!

basehibby
16-07-2017, 09:46 AM
Modern football generally has about 5/6 defenders in the box and 2/3 attackers for the crosser to aim at- it's difficult. If you get can get 2/3 chances from crosses in a game you're doing ok.

Out of interest, can you name any teams or even players who excel at crossing? I genuinely can't.

Erm.... I think I can think of someone .... on the tip of my tongue .... "It's SOMEBODY SOMEBODY to deliver..." hmmmm...

Aldo
16-07-2017, 10:01 AM
Lewis' crossing lead to a goal and penalty. Hope this thread is a windup.

It's not it's the usual folk finding negativity following a positive result.

First competitive game score 4 and clean sheet (yes poor opposition) academy players doing well yet we find a way to criticise the team.

Poor crossing farf!! Someone has provided positive facts yet I bet someone will find a way to try and disprove it.
Literally do wonder what folk think!

Brightside
16-07-2017, 10:48 AM
The crossing isn't the issue for me. Its the failure to take on the defender and get to the byline for a cut back. Pretty much the easiest goal you can score and we hardly ever attempt it.

eastcoasthibby
16-07-2017, 08:00 PM
Welcome to the new season and already your getting on his back!

Its not IF that is his return for the game yesterday it IS his return and maybe if you would give the guy some credit for that then you may have had to watch and criticise another player.
Watch the game and you would have seen his contribution to it along with the other 10 Hibs players on the park!

The thread was about crossing, and my view that I felt that it wasn't great, I have not criticised the overall performance just an aspect that I felt still showed signs of the same old as last few seasons.
Not sure how the crossing comments turns into the response about watching his contribution and the other 10 players on the park ? And I have not critcised what was a decent early season performance with a lot of positives (IMO) At no point do I mention anything negative about the performance, yet a viewpoint on crossing has returned a range of have a pop comments of a wholesale negativity that some.people have derived from my initial part of the thread, by all means have a go in response to the crossing topic but don't make up what you want about anything else please.

Back on topic happy to concede that.I appear to have a different view and expectation level regards crosses and what's deemed an acceptable ratio of crosses getting into the box, the points made about the assists from crosses yesterday is a more than fair point, my issue is that we had lot more opportunities to get the ball in and didn't succeed, but thats my expectation. As.has been stated its an absolutely vital part of the game from where goals, as we saw definitely come from, so wanting more and better quality when we work hard to get into those positions is exactly why I raise the point.

KWJ
16-07-2017, 08:04 PM
Should we all invest in some opta stats so we can get a definitive answer to haud some weeshts?

eastcoasthibby
16-07-2017, 08:43 PM
So you changed your argument then? We did get a lot of good crosses into the box and we scored from a couple. Wtf else are you wanting? I watched Sporting Lisbon V Valencia the other day and, despite the ability level of players being higher in that game, the amount of crosses which didn't amount to anything was quite telling. Have you ever thought that maybe it's not the crossers at fault but the 'crossees' who need to work more at their end? As others have said, if you really have to find fault with a 4-0 win with goals coming from our new striker and young midfielders then jog on. 😊

Where was my criticism of anything other than I felt we didn't get enough crosses in ..? ??

Stantons Angel
16-07-2017, 08:59 PM
The thread was about crossing, and my view that I felt that it wasn't great, I have not criticised the overall performance just an aspect that I felt still showed signs of the same old as last few seasons.
Not sure how the crossing comments turns into the response about watching his contribution and the other 10 players on the park ? And I have not critcised what was a decent early season performance with a lot of positives (IMO) At no point do I mention anything negative about the performance, yet a viewpoint on crossing has returned a range of have a pop comments of a wholesale negativity that some.people have derived from my initial part of the thread, by all means have a go in response to the crossing topic but don't make up what you want about anything else please.

Back on topic happy to concede that.I appear to have a different view and expectation level regards crosses and what's deemed an acceptable ratio of crosses getting into the box, the points made about the assists from crosses yesterday is a more than fair point, my issue is that we had lot more opportunities to get the ball in and didn't succeed, but thats my expectation. As.has been stated its an absolutely vital part of the game from where goals, as we saw definitely come from, so wanting more and better quality when we work hard to get into those positions is exactly why I raise the point.
The crossing you mentioned was sited at stevenson and gray. I was trying to illustrate how wrong you were to pick lewis out after another poster gave the stats. If id have concentrated on just one aspect of play from say mcginn... id have been corrected too. Btw he did have a few passes going astray in midfield too. If we all let the rustiness get out of their game and concentrate on the poitives of scoring 4 without reply we would be able to go forward on to the next game.[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

madabouthibs
16-07-2017, 09:02 PM
As far as I'm concerned there's no real need for all this crossing carry on.
We're not all Cafflicks you know...... :rolleyes::aok::wink:

ian cruise
16-07-2017, 09:04 PM
Should we all invest in some opta stats so we can get a definitive answer to haud some weeshts?

We've got the Berry money and I keep hearing on here we aren't going to be spending it on players so might as well

poolman
26-07-2017, 12:00 AM

Any comments re.crossing tonight 🤔

Fisherrow Harp
26-07-2017, 12:02 AM

👍 well said!

Fisherrow Harp
26-07-2017, 12:17 AM
Well why post? If you don't have time to go back through the game, perhaps stop posting negative stuff like like this. People seem to want to get on this ladies back, it maybe be because he has did what no other hibs player has done and won a league cup & scottish cup winners medal? He might Not be Philp Lamb or Roberto Carlos or dare day David Gray, he's steady eddie for us and for my money,and no disrespect to Sir David Gray, is Mr Hibs for me.Sir Lewis Stevenson,earl o'loch end, Marques of Hampden.

Onceinawhile
26-07-2017, 03:10 AM
4 goals from crosses tonight. 🖒

Malthibby
26-07-2017, 06:43 AM
Well why post? If you don't have time to go back through the game, perhaps stop posting negative stuff like like this. People seem to want to get on this ladies back, it maybe be because he has did what no other hibs player has done and won a league cup & scottish cup winners medal? He might Not be Philp Lamb or Roberto Carlos or dare day David Gray, he's steady eddie for us and for my money,and no disrespect to Sir David Gray, is Mr Hibs for me.Sir Lewis Stevenson,earl o'loch end, Marques of Hampden.

But is he Steady Eddie or a lady?:confused: